New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why PDFs?!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Why PDFs?!

Been looking at getting another game system, I've been interested in trying out a new minimalist system.
    They all come packaged as either a physical book (and I've lost too many of those over various moves and such already) or .PDF files.

PDF files are basically unreadable without an annoying amount of effort. I have to zoom them in and scroll them this way and that to read them. Whyyyy can we not get game systems in reflowable epub files? I can get my textbooks that way, I read all my books that way, augh...
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Why PDFs?!

It's just an industry standard. But I get your frustration, pdfs suck.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Formatting, probably. You can print directly from a pdf because it's the exact page layout, but making an epub would mean an entirely separate round of layout and proofing.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Role-playing games tend to make more use of pictures and fancy formatting and I think pdfs are better at handling those.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

As others have said, I would think the cost and time and effort of converting a rulebook to epub format would be very high. It would be a logistical nightmare trying to lay out the text and tables and charts in such a way that it would on all possible devices, with all possible settings. I read epubs on my phone, my Kobo, and my tablet. And that works because it's all just text.

Whereas PDF's all look roughly the same no matter the device or the application (both for weal and woe).

Although, that being said, I share your frustration with trying to read PDF's. I love using them as a supplement to the actual book, but on their own, they're a pain.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    Role-playing games tend to make more use of pictures and fancy formatting and I think pdfs are better at handling those.
    Partially this, yeah. If you want a sidebar or boxed-text, PDFs handle those better. They also tend to do better with tables.

And, well, you can lay out a book for print and use pretty much the same thing for PDF, or vice versa.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

i like pdf. never got into the various other formats, and don't understand what problems others have with it.

maybe i'm old generation and pdf is the one most behaving like a normal paper book?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'm old generation. I need my text size a little bit larger these days. Epub is older than PDF, as I recall. It's closer to a readme file like I would read back when I was dealing with MS-DOS whatsits. My textbook has tables imbedded in it, they're saved as pictures.
    I've been playing mostly things with an SRD I can access on the web for the past few years, but they sometimes overformat the base page.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Tables saved as pictures? But then you can't find things in them with Ctrl+F!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    I'm old generation. I need my text size a little bit larger these days. Epub is older than PDF, as I recall. It's closer to a readme file like I would read back when I was dealing with MS-DOS whatsits. My textbook has tables imbedded in it, they're saved as pictures.
    I've been playing mostly things with an SRD I can access on the web for the past few years, but they sometimes overformat the base page.
    For age of format, it depends. EPub is only from 2007; it's predecessor is from 1999. PDFs, OTOH, first came out in 1992. EPub does draw on the same dynamic text scaling that you see in TrueType fonts from the late 80s, though.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Been looking at getting another game system, I've been interested in trying out a new minimalist system.
    They all come packaged as either a physical book (and I've lost too many of those over various moves and such already) or .PDF files.

PDF files are basically unreadable without an annoying amount of effort. I have to zoom them in and scroll them this way and that to read them. Whyyyy can we not get game systems in reflowable epub files? I can get my textbooks that way, I read all my books that way, augh...
    You and I have much, much different experiences with PDFs.

Every single one I have is highly readable and i have over 2 thousand. Maybe you just need a bigger screen? a screen that isn't borken?

Like i honestly have no idea what is going on that you find them un readable.. are you trying to open them not in a PDF reader like Adobe Acrobat, Sumatra, or Kofax?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    Like i honestly have no idea what is going on that you find them un readable..
    I have some luck at home... where I have a specifically portrait monitor. But I'm not gaming at home...

If I'm out and about, I have some sort of laptop. There's the title bar of the reader, then whatever toolbar is on the top, then the tools widget bar, and maybe another important bar or three... then the page... then whatever toolbars are on the bottom, and the bar on the bottom of Windows itself... half the screen is already gone because every imaginable specialty widget has to be put in horizontal bars on top or bottom of the reader. The text is organized in vertical bars, and I have to move my narrow window of viewable area around the page. If I zoom out enough to see a big block of text, the not monitor optimized font is pixelized and blurry.

It's exhausting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I have some luck at home... where I have a specifically portrait monitor. But I'm not gaming at home...

If I'm out and about, I have some sort of laptop. There's the title bar of the reader, then whatever toolbar is on the top, then the tools widget bar, and maybe another important bar or three... then the page... then whatever toolbars are on the bottom, and the bar on the bottom of Windows itself... half the screen is already gone because every imaginable specialty widget has to be put in horizontal bars on top or bottom of the reader. The text is organized in vertical bars, and I have to move my narrow window of viewable area around the page. If I zoom out enough to see a big block of text, the not monitor optimized font is pixelized and blurry.

It's exhausting.
    Why do you have so many toolbars? My PDF reader has none of that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Why do you have so many toolbars? My PDF reader has none of that.
    Seconding this, and I even reverted to an older layout because an update changed the background colour to white. Still got at minimum two third of the screen, maybe three quarters, with most toolbars at the side.

Not that some games don't also have .epub or .mobi versions, IIRC Evil Hat does them for major releases. It's just less common, at least partially due to the loss of formatting.

But yes, PDFs are annoying when you have bad eyes. After glasses stopped working but before I moved to contacts I was almost entirely physical for that exact reason.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2024-02-04 at 06:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's exhausting.
    Yeah, that's more a problem of whatever reader you're using. Usually you can reconfigure the UI to be more minimal, or there may be a full-screen view.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Take the pdf to a print shop, and come home with a booklet.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Take the pdf to a print shop, and come home with a booklet.
    I'd recommend checking the terms before doing any of this. Some companies and creators are fine with you doing this, others aren't. Evil Hat even includes a note in their books that yes making a copy at a print shop is 100% okay and this is express permission.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'd recommend checking the terms before doing any of this. Some companies and creators are fine with you doing this, others aren't. Evil Hat even includes a note in their books that yes making a copy at a print shop is 100% okay and this is express permission.
    If you legally bought the pdf, you can print it for personal use. Just like you can copy a book you own without permission from the writer or publisher.

What you can't do is print 100 copies and sell them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    But yes, PDFs are annoying when you have bad eyes. After glasses stopped working but before I moved to contacts I was almost entirely physical for that exact reason.
    If you have trouble reading a pdf your going to have the same troublewith any other digital format
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    If you have trouble reading a pdf your going to have the same troublewith any other digital format
    With an ebook format, I can zoom in and the text reflows to fit the new text to page size. I can make the words big and easy to read and not have to slide around on the page like I was exploring a roguelike dungeon with an Etch-a-Sketch.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Most web browsers have built in functionality for viewing PDFs. At a glance even the accused Edge has minimal bloat by default and offers a full screen view bereft of toolbars.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Because they are cheap and easy to produce, and ubiquitous enough where everyone has the software to read them.
    *This Space Available*

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you tried running Magnifier in lens view? I played around with it a bit after reading this, and it seems pretty workable. The other view modes just seem annoying though.

Edit: If you're not familiar, hold the Windows key and press the + key to turn Magnifier on. Hold both Ctrl and Alt and press the L key to change to lens mode. Hold the Windows key and press Esc to turn Magnifier off.
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2024-02-05 at 04:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

So, it sounds less of a "PDF" issue and more of user issue with the user having every conceivable window and toolbar open as possible.

Sounds like my friend, years, ago that was compkaong about a FPSish we played and how he couldn't see what was happening due to the UI, being in the way.. he had every ability bar open, every separate chat box open, both maps open, and a few other random screens that took up 3/4 of the screen. A simple un selecting those windows fixed his complaints.

25. - Top - End - #25

I read mine on a tablet or my phone through Acrobat. I can zoom in ridiculously close, up to one letter filling the screen, and easily navigate the entire pdf...
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    That was my initial thought as well, but then they said their textbooks were in epub and worked, and textbooks have a lot of illustrations and diagrams too
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

27. - Top - End - #27

PaladinGuy

Play with the toolbar settings and you can remove most of them. And there are options for viewing the width of the page or the whole page that can make it easier.

I always buy hard copies of the main rulebooks of systems because I find the hardcopy books easier to deal with while running a game, but I find that running an adventure from a .pdf on a laptop isn't all that tough and is generally cheaper than buying hardcopies, though I still print off maps and the like for quick reference.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I was reading a game on a PDF yesterday in fullscreen on a laptop. It still was miserable, I wanted to tweak the font.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    That was my initial thought as well, but then they said their textbooks were in epub and worked, and textbooks have a lot of illustrations and diagrams too
    Its a different standard. Textbooks are used by public universities so they have to follow the ADA. They have to come up with versions that are more accessible to blind students. Additionally textbooks cost $300+. An epub is possible for RPGs, but it's not worth the expense since it's not legally required.

I agree that pdfs are a pain to read on my pocket Kindle. But it's got a tiny 3"x5" screen that's not as responsive as other modern tech. Every other device, even my smaller smartphone, is easy to read pdfs because I can zoom in and out as needed or change the viewing frame by turning my phone sideways.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    If you legally bought the pdf, you can print it for personal use. Just like you can copy a book you own without permission from the writer or publisher.

What you can't do is print 100 copies and sell them.
    I believe, technically, you cannot use two copies at once.
    So you can (and I have) photocopy an entire book to mark it with highlighter and rearrange the pages and put the original in storage. But if you sell your original you either give your copy to the buyer or destroy it.
    Which works fine for me: I generally print the PDF once and use the printed copy, while the electronic copy is stored.

But in the "everything's legal if there's no cops around" vein passing a few pages around to folks at the same table probably isn't going to get the attention of the owners of the copyright you are infringing and probably won't offend them even if they find out. But know that defending their copyright might mean that they have to sue you even if they aren't mad about what you did.