New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why PDFs?!

1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Why PDFs?!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyOne View Post
    But know that defending their copyright might mean that they have to sue you even if they aren't mad about what you did.
    This isn't actually the case; you're thinking of trademark law. They can sue you if they don't like you, but it's not a legal requirement and they'll keep the copyright no matter how little they enforce it. Trademarks (i.e. their brand or company name) are the things that can be lost if left unenforced.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Ogre: Please remember to not talk about legal issues. Even if you are their lawyer, you likely are not their lawyer, and this is not the venue for soliciting or giving legal advice.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have a ton of toolbars at the top and bottom, that's something you configured (or was configured) into the pdf reader software you are using. By default, I think there should be like one bar across the top. You can also open or close a panel on the left, which usually has chapter headings or thumbnails and whatnot).

PDF is used because it's a well established standard, every computer system an end user is likely to be using can read it, and it has some very useful features for publishing (like flagging as read only content, embedded virtual watermarks, etc).

The reader itself is very customizable, so if you are having problems reading content with it, try playing around with the settings on your viewer. It's not a function of the format itself. And yes. I've run into some very crappy pdf viewers from time to time. Again though, that's the client software you loaded on your computer, not the format the file is in.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm aware of the disdain for PDFs and most of the arguments make sense to me.

But I still haven't seen an argument that addresses the main value I find in PDFs: a way to consistently ensure that the thing you put together can't lose its formatting, can't be edited, can't get mucked up by a software difference, and can be printed easily.

When I send somebody a PDF, I know what it will look like to them. When I print a PDF, I know what it will look like. I spent years getting burned by the terrible layout changes that happen when you and your recipient have different versions of Word, and years of my printers garbling the contents of a document. PDF maintains the "look" without hurting the crispness of the text & graphics.

Is there a newer format that can do that? I feel like I've researched "PDF replacement" several times and every option has been, like, "put all of your documents on a webpage/in HTML/in something like EPUB, which doesn't print easily!" which is not a solution to the problems I'm trying to use PDFs for.

Or, conversely, maybe printing and formatting technology has improved and I don't need to worry about safeguarding my documents from getting garbled anymore. I just kind of feel like there are more competing standards these days, between Google Docs and Microsoft Word and OpenOffice, as an example. But maybe technology has made compatibility much more widespread and PDFs are a protection I can relinquish.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-02-16 at 03:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm in the same boat - I dislike the PDF format, but for a tangential reason. I dislike the over-formatting of source books - things like Columns make sense when you have giant pages, but the amount of sidebars, cascading notes, footnotes and self-referencing is just a giant headache. I prefer gamebooks the size of Blades in the Dark, Torchbearer, or the Pathfinder Pocket editions because the information is given more of a sensical layout.

At the same time, I do wish I could keep something on my Kindle for referencing it. But that would require a lot of copying and dumping it in a file that can be sent in, and that'll be a ton of work.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    But I still haven't seen an argument that addresses the main value I find in PDFs: a way to consistently ensure that the thing you put together can't lose its formatting, be edited, get mucked up by a software difference, and can be printed easily.
    Yup, yup, and yup. So much so that it's possible to be burned by it though, if the publisher isn't thinking things though. Like by releasing technical documents in a font that doesn't exist on the systems they sell (yeah, that happened). But yeah, baring poor choices like that, it's generally a very very good format for electronic documents.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    Its a different standard. Textbooks are used by public universities so they have to follow the ADA. They have to come up with versions that are more accessible to blind students. Additionally textbooks cost $300+. An epub is possible for RPGs, but it's not worth the expense since it's not legally required.

I agree that pdfs are a pain to read on my pocket Kindle. But it's got a tiny 3"x5" screen that's not as responsive as other modern tech. Every other device, even my smaller smartphone, is easy to read pdfs because I can zoom in and out as needed or change the viewing frame by turning my phone sideways.
    Also, many textbooks don't rely heavily on illustrations to get their point across, and the ebook format will usually just dump the relevant image in the middle of the text flow, when needed. Textbooks, when they use images, only use them as "image here alongside text", which is much easier to implement than RPGs that have art as layout elements and illustration.

Which is why you'd have to redo the whole thing for an ebook format. And then redo it for all the major ebook formats, because some people are on Kindle, some are on Nook, some are on completely different devices.

The advantage of PDF from a publishing standpoint is that it's a one-stop shop for creating something that can be opened by basically every technological reader, and that's especially appealing for designers releasing smaller things for free or low cost.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2024-02-16 at 03:59 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    I was reading a game on a PDF yesterday in fullscreen on a laptop. It still was miserable, I wanted to tweak the font.
    What PDF reader are you using on your laptop? There are a lot of different PDF reading programs and they are not all the same.

9. - Top - End - #39

I'm aware of the disdain for PDFs and most of the arguments make sense to me.

But I still haven't seen an argument that addresses the main value I find in PDFs: a way to consistently ensure that the thing you put together can't lose its formatting, can't be edited, can't get mucked up by a software difference, and can be printed easily.

When I send somebody a PDF, I know what it will look like to them. When I print a PDF, I know what it will look like. I spent years getting burned by the terrible layout changes that happen when you and your recipient have different versions of Word, and years of my printers garbling the contents of a document. PDF maintains the "look" without hurting the crispness of the text & graphics.

Is there a newer format that can do that? I feel like I've researched "PDF replacement" several times and every option has been, like, "put all of your documents on a webpage/in HTML/in something like EPUB, which doesn't print easily!" which is not a solution to the problems I'm trying to use PDFs for.

Or, conversely, maybe printing and formatting technology has improved and I don't need to worry about safeguarding my documents from getting garbled anymore. I just kind of feel like there are more competing standards these days, between Google Docs and Microsoft Word and OpenOffice, as an example. But maybe technology has made compatibility much more widespread and PDFs are a protection I can relinquish.
    It is possible to make PDFs that contain all the fonts and images they are using, but it is also possible to create PDFs that do not. At work I have some circuit schematics that got saved as PDFs. One of the places they were saved they have nice images for all the components while in another place half the components are shown as a box with an asterisk.

To be clear, PDF is one of the worst formats for a circuit schematic because I cannot edit them easily. I can add annotations, but when I find places where it is wrong I have to go create a whole new schematic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    What PDF reader are you using on your laptop? There are a lot of different PDF reading programs and they are not all the same.
    Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Of all the options to read PDFs, that's pretty much the worst. Try any of the many free alternatives - I use Foxit.

12. - Top - End - #42

Yeah, if you dislike having lots of menu and title bars taking up space, Adobe Reader is a bad choice. If you're on Windows 10-11, you could try Okular. I'm not sure about MacOS since I've never had a Mac.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I generally open mine with Edge.

Generally I prefer physical media, but I gained a new appreciation for PDFs after pulling a muscle in my back lifting a backpack full of Shadowrun books lol.

And now that I'm running a PF2 game, it's a lot easier to have the AP document up on one screen and the VTT on another.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    It is possible to make PDFs that contain all the fonts and images they are using, but it is also possible to create PDFs that do not. At work I have some circuit schematics that got saved as PDFs. One of the places they were saved they have nice images for all the components while in another place half the components are shown as a box with an asterisk.

To be clear, PDF is one of the worst formats for a circuit schematic because I cannot edit them easily. I can add annotations, but when I find places where it is wrong I have to go create a whole new schematic.
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense when you're talking about technical schematics. I can see why it would be a frustrating format for that situation.

So would you say the hate for PDFs is because they're overused in situations where they aren't the best choice? But there are still use cases (like saving a single page of text/simple graphics for printing or digital sharing) that the PDF does bets?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

frown Re: Why PDFs?!

I prefer PDFs over EPUB, but it's more like I balk at the latter's unique monoploy in my home country.

...Where all published EPUB based ebooks have nasty tablet/app exclusive DRMs that turn the files into unreadable disk volume junk once their publisher goes out of business. It's so, so, so disheartening each time such an event happens...
    Below are the things I personally care when rating whether I consider a RPG rule as a favorite or not, in order;

• Legally guraranteed for free commercial redistribution (ORC, CC-BY-SA, etc.)
    • All game entities (PC, NPC, monsters, etc.) generally follow the same creation structure and gameplay rules (with some obvious exceptions)
    • Martial and Magical character archetypes do not completely overshadow each other in common situations (combat, exploration, socialization, etc.)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, that makes a lot of sense when you're talking about technical schematics. I can see why it would be a frustrating format for that situation.

So would you say the hate for PDFs is because they're overused in situations where they aren't the best choice? But there are still use cases (like saving a single page of text/simple graphics for printing or digital sharing) that the PDF does bets?
    Well, as someone who works in the print industry, I'll say that we normally recommend PDF files for printing as it does lock in your formatting and font choices. A lot of people like to use non-standard fonts and if your local print shack doesn't have that font, they usually can't install it just to run your stuff. Either because a lot of fonts are licensed and we can't go buying a license just for a one-off print job, or because the ability to install software and fonts has been disabled by an IT department.

Every file we print at work gets converted into a PDF before it's sent over to the printers. The only real problem we have is when people save a Photoshop (or other like program) file as a PDF without flattening the layers first, and end up with a 2 gig, one-page PDF...nothing like waiting 5 minutes for a 2 page flyer to spool over to the printer A PDF should be a small, easily shared file. Not some monolith that begs to have Neanderthals crouching around it while Zarathustra plays in the background.

On a side note, PDF's can be easily edited if you have the full version of Acrobat (at least the text can...images can be moved) unless they have been password protected.

When it comes to viewing, most PDF readers, Adobe included, have a reading mode that gives you a full-screen view without any toolbars. I would look for that.

As for taking your PDF to a local printer... To be honest, we really don't care what you're printing. I think all but the local mom-and-pop shops have a disclaimer in place that absolves us from any liability for what you decide to have printed and we're not going to hop on the phone and narc you out to someone's lawyers...we're too busy for that crap. You can even get us to spiral-bind it for you. I can't count the number of times someone's come in and printed off a Pathfinder PDF. One girl even set up the file to include tabs for the chapters.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."