New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default DrK Mortals vs the Gods IC

To Battle the Gods Themselves

The lands of Aegean sea, the neighboring Pharoh states of the Nile and the savage frozen lands of the Norse all are blessed with powerful and generous Gods that have blessed their followers for many generations. But now they Gods have turned their backs on their followers. Posiedon causes mayhem with storms on whim disrupting trade. Mightly Odin judges Jarls for little reason splitting them with lightning and even the greatest of the Pharoh's heroes has his heart found wanting and consumed by Sobek. The situation is dire, crops fail, storms rage across the lands, teleportation magic has been disallowed by the Gods and great monsters stalk the mountains, deserts and seas slaying people by the hundreds.

Now the mortals have had enough! King Menelaus, the Great Jarl Ragnar Lodbrok and Queen Nefertiti have summoned a secret conclave of their greatest heroes. A dozen of the mages, priests and druids of the greatest orders have called down the mythical Purple Rain to hide the meeting from the sight of even the Gods themselves as the heroes meet in the shadows of Mt Olympus in the Temple of Artemis to discuss what must be done... the unthinkable. The mortals shall have to take the war to the Gods and their realms themselve!

The wind thunders around the peaks near the Delphic Temple in the high mountain pass that lies ironically in the shadow of Mt Olympus. Zeus's displeasure can be seen in the dark clouds above as lightning arcs and crashes in the night above the temple. As the various retinues of kings, queens, pharohs, Jarls and princes arrive each accompanied by only a few royal guards or advisors all shiver slightly as they pass the boundary surrounding the Temple high atop the cliffs. Ascending the marble steps statues devoted the Gods that have now tuned their backs on the mortals half way up a gleaming purple shimmering curtain seems to fall from the heavens. As you pass through there is an intake of breath as each feels the lack of something, a void of some kind at the core of your being as your access to the Gods is removed, the divine being blind now to the Temple and its surrounds. A motely collection of Priests bedecked with the lamellar scales and animalistic heads from the desert; heavy swirling woads and beast hides from Norsca; and silk togas died bright with tall staffs from the isles of the Peloponnese surround the temple giving the air a heady smell of the various incenses as priests from all of the majors empires represented here chant in unison to protect this area from the eyes and ears of the gods with the srange purple rain.

The temple inside is a thing of beauty, lined with pillars with two great pools of holy oil flowing the length of the Temple. Halfway up great clay amorphoa of wine and beer have been prepared and many of Jarl Ragnar's bear skinned hurscals drink heavily as they look suspiciously around the marble interior lit by great braziers of every burning flames that illuminate the depictions of the Gods that run around the temple walls and gleam off the massive 40ft high statue of Zeus the almighty that stands somewhat ironically in the place of honour. To some the very statue itself, even though there are no windows here seems to radiate a strange indigo glow matching the rain outside

Within the temple three clusters of figures can be seen in the swirling crowds. Near the Zeus statue stands the men and woman of the Isles surrounding King Menelaus and other princes and princesses of the Peloponnese and some of the greatest heroes of the age like the long haired and handsome Paris with his golden bow and arrows and his brother Hector, tamer of horses clad in breastplate with his plumed helm under his arm and his massive hammer strapped to his back.

Ragnar and the norsca stand near the drinks in the centre, heavy set men with beards fur and brooding violence. Several of the men stand at least 8ft tall suggeting jotun in their blood but its the quiet intnsity of Ragnar that draws the eye, a thin circlet of gold resting on his brow the only sign of his position. Beside him stands a glorious looking woman with full figure flowing golden hair that seems to move like liquid wearing a cloak of blue and steel breastplate carved with the images of pegasi. With a blade at her hip that seems to crackle with lightning all would recognise her as one of the Valkyrie who has sided with the mortals in this war of the heavens,

The final contingent stand near the doorway gazing out into the night and the purple shimmering sky. Around the golden and white robes of silk of the golden skinned nobles clad in enough jewels to buy a kingdom heavy set Marruspawn standing 7 feet tall and resembling ebony-hued, jackal-headed humanoids stand guard with massive decorative blades as the diminutive queen with the serpent rising from her coronet watches the gathering with narrowed eyes.

Please intro yourself, described your arrival and if you are an independant or with one of the 3 main contingents. Feel free to add NPCs as needed.
    Last edited by DrK; 2024-02-04 at 10:47 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: DrK Mortals vs the Gods IC

A stocky dwarven woman with fiery red hair twisted into simple braids to keep them out of her emerald eyes stands head and shoulders below most of Menelaus' gathered contingent. The loud sound of her dwarven stoneplate creates a grating undercurrent for the chanting priests. While she stands just taller than 4 feet, her comically oversized hammer extends nearly 15 feet into the negative space of the temple. The iconography of Athena designed on her equipment suggests some kind of warrior-priest, though she seems to be making no effort towards blocking the perception of the gods.

Feeling restless, Camilla draws out her favorite tankard from her bag. It is a simple thing the size of which would give a very incorrect impression of the physical size of the owner, and a completely appropriate impression of the owner's appetite for alcohol.

Dressed for ceremony, Camilla trudges towards the alcohol laid out near the center of the temple, her stone covered feet creating stomping footsteps the whole way to where she fills her tankard to very brim. Taking a deep drought and quickly wiping the foam from her upper lip, she mutters to herself. To the observant it is clear she is not concerned about who overhears, but curious to gauge the reactions of those who happen to be listening.

"What did we mortals do to turn the gods' wrath upon us? To invite death upon so many of us? The gods may have overthrown the titans, but can mortals truly overthrow the gods?"
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2024-02-04 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nehemsek stood barely over 5'6, lite and lean, of an undetermined age. Many called him the Curse, the Warbringer.

Yet, he walked into the temple with a clear purpose for the first time in decades, he had heard the rumors of this meeting taking place and he wanted in. It was the gods who had condemned this once proud man to a life of despair as a living curse, and it would be their downfall what would set Nehemsek free.

Spoiler: Large Image
    Show

The queen looked magnificient, and to her Nehmsek walked and in her presence knelt and bowed.

Queen of Queens, sacred ruler of the High and Low Nile, wearer of the double crown of the old and new empires, ruler of the misty forest where the river is born and ruler of the fertile lands where the river pours its life. Goddess in human flesh, hear my prayer and my promise. I am Nehemsek, I was once a sanhu that proudly helped your people thrive. Now your priests call me منيل, the mudded one, the unfortunate. It was Toth who punished me, and now I kneel under your grace. I beg you to be of service and put an end to this live of pain.
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-02-04 at 03:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Lanharath

Enormous wings beat the air on the other side of the purple mist moments before a roc flew through the barrier. It curled up its wings and dive bombed the Norsca tables, transforming into a man summersaulting to a landing. He brushed back the hair from his eyes and glanced around at the assembled, giving a nod towards Ragnar. "This is the place, then!" Though nearly half the height of the jotunblood warriors he walked among them as if towering above. "Hail, Jarl. A great day for a battle, eh?" He says to the Norsca lord while resting one leg on the bench and stroking his chin in thought. The effort does nothing to improve his countenance.

"What do you think of your 'allies' in this war? I have never spent much time in these warmer climes but the air and company agrees with me." He says with a lecherous grin. "If nothing else they will make beautiful corpses."

Spoiler: Character Image
    Show
    Last edited by Chambers; 2024-02-04 at 03:13 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

A large elk-like being strides gracefully towards the temple. It's hooves, of which there are two too many, move with an unearthly grace and speed. It's horns - a majestic gold, with a large and fearsome axe attached to it. It's body, a brilliant shade of blue with white furand gold highlights accentuating it's form. It appears to be wearing barding of some sort.

As the large magical beast known as a Cerynitis crosses the threshold into the blindspot of the gods, it will suddenly transform - it's horns and fur dissolving as if made of sand. Left in it's place, is but a human man. The man, while still relatively large for his kind, is still but a fraction of the size that he once was a great elk. Saying nothing, he will glance at one of the rings on his finger before continuing to make his way inside.

"Interesting." The man states, his voice deep and gravel-ridden. "It seems coming here wasn't a waste of time afterall."

The man makes his way indoors, where he begins to partake of the food and drinks gathered near the center. While he seems relaxed, he keeps one hand on the hilt of his large battle axe. Always best to be prepared, afterall.

Show
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-02-05 at 12:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Runa, the Daughter of Wind, accompanied the Norscan contingent. While she is perhaps not quite so striking a figure as the Valkyrie, the tall blonde woman is quite striking in her own way. One eye is a brillian sky blue, the other covered in a jeweled eye patch, a cloak seemingly made of giant eagle feathers adorns her shoulders. A raven, perched on her right shoulder, peaks over a large shield ringed in a relief of hands interlocked in a circle while the center is a trio of lightning bolts surrounding an eye. A spear, bears a banner of the same symbology. Her very presence is heartening, her glance reasurring, and always there seems to be a gentle calming breeze surrounding her. Rather than speaking, the woman breaks out a pipe and listens to what is to be said, nodding at sensible counsel and blowing small stormclouds of smoke towards the heavens. She stands protectively at Ragnar's right side.

Show
    Last edited by Ancient; 2024-02-04 at 06:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeing the elk-metamorphosed man approach the vittles in the center of the gathering without stopping to pay respects for any of the leaders of men, her curiosity gets the better of her and she approaches. Her stone-plated footsteps declaring the approach of the woman who comes up only to about the man's waist.

"You say coming isn't a waste of time. I agree, despite that being part of this gathering alone is likely to spell out dramatically shortened life expectancy for all involved. Admittedly, leaving it be would doom the life expectancy of all mortals, innocent and wicked alike. I don't know what riled the gods' wrath, but riled it is. Without knowing how to assuage it or open communication with them about it, challenging them is likely our next best hope. A miserable hope, barely a candle buffeted by a storm, but hope nonetheless."

Her tone makes it apparent she's still grappling with this entire situation as an apparent devotee of one of the now declared enemies.

"My name is Camilla. What hope has brought you here?" she gestures towards the large man serving as a substitute for his name, which is presently unknown to her.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2024-02-05 at 07:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

A discreet distance away from the queen yet carefully positioned to be between her and most oncomers, Nefer-Horsif stands vigilant, the miniature sun that is the mark of his divine investiture floating above his ornate ceremonial staff as he peers around the room, his blue eye piercing, his black eye opaque. Tall for a human of the Egyptian contingent, he is nevertheless dwarfed by many others present, including the Marruspawn who are Queen Nefertiti's more obvious bodyguards. His white silken robes, belted at the waist with gold, are more fully covering than many of his countrymen's, and his blue-gold headdress would seem to mark him as royalty to many unlearned foreigners but lacks the tall hallmarks of the pharaoh's crown, instead being simply a stylized backwards eagle head.

At the approach of Nehemsek, Nefer-Horsif stiffened slightly, but did not intervene when the mudded one knelt and bowed respectfully to the living goddess; he detected no harmful magics and no ill intent, communicating these facts to his queen and her bodyguards with a barely perceptible nod from behind the newcomer. He otherwise remains silent; his queen is much wiser than he, and if she wanted advice, she would ask. He keeps a watchful eye on Nehemsek simply because he is the closest newcomer to the queen and thus the most likely danger, but he divides his attention for the rest of the spacious temple. A beautiful achievement, for barbarians, he muses in the privacy of his own thoughts, let us see if its builders will have anything of worth to say.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nefer-Horsif
    Mystic 20/Animus Adept 3 // Monk 1/Inquisitor 2/Animus Adept 2
    Init +24; Senses Perception +58, See In Darkness, scent, Luckdrinker Aura
    AC 36, Touch 30, Flat-footed 28
    HP 322/322; fast healing 12
    Speed 30 ft, fly 60 (average)
    Illumination 12
    Current Stance Luckdrinker Aura
    Conditions none

Nefer-Horsif is just chillin' by Nefertiti being one extra layer of security for her.

Spoiler: Full size image
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Imp

The large human being's gaze wanders from the food and drink he wantonly takes for himself to notice that a woman has begun to approach him.

And worse still, she began to talk to him. Still, he will listen to her spheal. That is what he was here for, in a way. To hear words, and be directed to his next, most glorious combat...

"Camilla, huh? My name is Henry Pascal. The hope that brought me here is simple: A hope for glorious combat. A hope to further hone and express the strength I've gained against opponents who actually require it. To be brought to my absolute limits so that I may surpass them... THAT is what I hope for."

Henry says, with his heterochromatic eyes (one red, one blue) glowing with a dull intensity behind his helmut as he stares forward into space. The intensity of the red eye dulls a bit as his eyes turn to look once more upon his conversational host.

"I am here to cross the final frontier of mortal men. I am here to challenge the gods themselves. But... I am not such a fool to think that doing so would be easy. I am glad that such a meeting to do so takes place in an area warded from their sight. It suggests a level of care and strategy taken by our organizers, and invites greater seriousness and clarity to their cause."

With that, Henry will bite into the meat he picked up from the table, and begin to viciously devour the meal.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Camilla listens stoically to Henry's explanation, trying to hide that she is dumbfounded that anyone would be so foolhardy as to desire combat with the gods. Afterward, picking up the message that Henry's focus has moved to the available food, Camilla simply says "I'm glad you are standing with us."

She then surveys the room again, looking again for conversation, though she is not keen on approaching either Nefereti's nor Ragnar's contingent. While the leaders may be here for shared purpose, but Camilla, aware of her poor etiquette, decides she is not willing to risk representing King Menelaus poorly in front of the other rulers. Especially when the fate of all mortal-kind might hang on this gathering going smoothly.

She returns to the kegs and refills her over-sized tankard before settling on a spot to awkwardly observe the goings-on, while hopefully projecting an approachable air.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Near the entranceway there is a commotion as the strange deer-like shape change appears. A number of priests and men making a warding sign against evil as the wave of unhallowed energy washes over them and seem to emanate from the man with the large axe.

Nefereti shivers and 3 of the hulking marrutacts position themselves between the Queen of the Sands and the strange interloper. She then turns to Nehemsek as he approaches and offers him the tip of the royal secptre to kiss, her voice, although quiet is filled with determination and a force of personality. "I've heard of your deeds and what you represent but all the sons and daughters of he desert are welcome here. When those who would sail the solar barge turn their backs on us they must be reminded that even as e worship them they must respond to us, those who would give power to them."

Her head shakes in sadness "You would know of the issues that beset our dearest Kesset, the motherland," she mutters, a sad glance towards Nefer-Horsif "Nefer-Horsif has been holding at bay many of the living dead that have risen in the Valleys of our ancestors, but a great spawn of Sobek has risen in the high desert and the Amara has been reduced to bone strewn ruin and this creature marches on Sothis bringing destruction in its wake. I would petition for heoes to hold this creature back..."

--

On the other side of the room Ragnar shakes his head with a wry smile and gestures to Sigurd, one of the lesser Jarls, to hurl Lanharath a skinful of powerful mead with the rich aromas of the fjords and honey. The young Great Jarl nods to the newcomer and mentions to Runa "See this one Runa of the Wind, have a care. he sheds skins and appears as what he would. Even Loki is only half as tricky as he. But... you are welcome here. The Jotun march, the high halls have been lost many warriors slain. The all father himself has blinded the eyes of the priests and Hel has released the beasts of the underworld and the Linnonrms upon us. We are the mightiest of the warriors here" he gestures to the other contingents, "But even our mightiest heroes can only be in one place at a time and our needs are great."

---

The words are similar within the bearded and creates helms of the Peloponese. Menelaus looks about and nods to Camilla watching as she moves towards Henry, the lone stranger. She would shiver as the aura of evil and death follows the man (unhallowed aura) before he looks to Cassandra, the waif like woman a his side with a bandage of silk across her eyes and then at Odysseus and Hector who stand close. The King of the Mycenea shouts out loudly, one of the guards banging an iron tipped spear on the marble floor with a great ringing sound to garner attention.

"Fellow Kings and Queens, Lords, Warleaders, Shamans and Wizards.... You ask why we have summoned you here. Why you made long trips via wings, sails and hoof. It is because we mortals have been abandoned and betrayed. We have held aloft the Gods since the dawn of our coming and now they are done with us. They release their monsters upon our cities, they demand sacrifices of gold and our children and they are consumed with their own petty bickering. I say enough is enough...." At this the warriors of the greek contingent bang fists on shields or breastplates with ringing praise. "We here are the mightiest of our peoples many can challenge the Gods themselves! We must act. All of us are beset in our lands. The many legged horror of Sobek stalks the high desert" he starts with gesturing with a bow to Nefereti, "The Jotun wage war in the Norscan halls and here in my on fair lands the spawn of the gods wreak havoc on sea and land. Many our greatest warriors falling to beasts such as the hydra and chimera." He pauses, "I would ask here, under this violet rain where only mortas may dwell that we pledge to all assembled here that we mortals stand as one. We shall choose our greatest heroes and strike back!

Where you sack of wine?" Ragnar interrupts brutally. "Where do we strike back... the Gods hide in their realms. Our magics have been stolen we cannot cross to sea of stars."

Surprisingly its Nefereti who answers, and from the nod from the Mycenean you suspect they had discussed this earlier. In all our realms there the gates to the God's own domains. Portals and doors to the Solar barge, caves leading to the your Ydraggsil or routes up Olympus itself. These we must find and then release havoc in their own realms.""

Menelaus holds up his hands, "Yes. We can take the war to them, but first we must blunt some of their attacks on us fair Queen. THere are many heroes here." e gestures to the room at large "But in ach group we should include heores of all peoples so those immortals would know that all the mortal folk oppose them."

Feel free to interject into the conversation in the hall. And think where the party would like to head to resolve some of the problems in the mountains of Norsca, the deserts or the islands of greece

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nehemsek

The queen's words fell like light rain over Nehemsek tired head removing with he grace the weight of decades. It was only some cold comfort as the images of plague and conflict he had been cursed to inflict came rushing.

I owe you, your grace

He said as he brushed his lips with the Imperial scepter.

I owe you and I owe the fertile land along the Nile. I was once a disciple of Sobek, and in my skin his symbol is carved. But now I can only manifest his cruelest of aspects.

The ma'at that holds our world and the divine world as a continuous is breaking and we only see the worse of gods.

After hearing the rude exchange between Menelaus and Ragnar, he humbly offered his opinion to the queen.

At this point, It does not matter where we start

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Despite herself, Camilla is unable to hold back her voice and states loudly enough to be heard clearly throughout the temple: "If we wish to protect our realms and triumph over the gods, we need to identify their weaknesses and possess weaponry capable of slaying them. We may be able to protect our nations and peoples by taking the fight to them in their domains, but they will have the advantage in combat in their own domains."

Camilla rubs her forehead with her free hand, lamenting her previous disinterest in writings and education. "Either way, they won't sit idly by while we prepare. We need to take immediate action. Protecting the lands that produce the most bountiful and consistent harvests should be our priority, as the gods may try to starve us mortals with famines and pestilence, making a war of attrition undesirable for us."

She looks about hoping others will follow her lead and contribute their voices, expecting she didn't add anything which the others weren't already keenly aware.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

"If farmlands are a concern, then our first must be Sobek's fell beast," Nefer-Horsif surprises himself by interjecting. Perhaps the recent struggles had him more tired than he thought, to speak out of turn so, but at a lack of chiding from his queen he continued. "Each loss of arable land in great Egypt is felt more keenly than such a loss would be felt up here, in your fertile landscapes. If we are to safeguard the most people before taking the fight to the heavens, then we must slay the monster that wreaks through our home. Storms and lesser beasts our people may weather, if with difficulty; but the divine beast, that cannot be dealt with by any but such as we."

He nods to the heavily armored dwarf in agreement. "The many paths my Queen has spoken of may be found in the meantime, and consultations with the bards and oracles may perhaps reveal what manner of opposition we will find in the heavens themselves. I pray we can make the gods come to their senses."

15. - Top - End - #15

Lanharath

"Sobek's nightmare...I've longed to tangle with his pets." Lanharath says, his words heard loud and clear across the hall without needing to raise his voice. He still does, of course. "The farmers cry for aid, and we shall deliver!" He says, drinking the rest of the wine skin and tossing it behind him. He hops down off the bench and strides towards Queen Nefereti stopping mid-way to bow. "The nightmare will be slain, your fields will saved from ruin, your peasants free to plough once more, and you may have the fortune to thank Lanharath for the deeds, though my friends call me Garnet."
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    On the other side of the room Ragnar shakes his head with a wry smile and gestures to Sigurd, one of the lesser Jarls, to hurl Lanharath a skinful of powerful mead with the rich aromas of the fjords and honey. The young Great Jarl nods to the newcomer and mentions to Runa "See this one Runa of the Wind, have a care. he sheds skins and appears as what he would. Even Loki is only half as tricky as he. But... you are welcome here. The Jotun march, the high halls have been lost many warriors slain. The all father himself has blinded the eyes of the priests and Hel has released the beasts of the underworld and the Linnonrms upon us. We are the mightiest of the warriors here" he gestures to the other contingents, "But even our mightiest heroes can only be in one place at a time and our needs are great."
    Runa regards the strange man, it appears that many here are not the simple men they appear. His appears supremely capable, and would be a strong anchor in her shield wall, though the taint of carnage hangs heavy around him. Still Ragnar's words hearten her, the King is worthy of the crown, his wit, reserve, and acknowledgement of the problems at hand ensure her that man is indeed worth taking side with, unlike the arrogance and cruelty of those divinities that would call themselves their betters.

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    "If farmlands are a concern, then our first must be Sobek's fell beast," Nefer-Horsif surprises himself by interjecting. Perhaps the recent struggles had him more tired than he thought, to speak out of turn so, but at a lack of chiding from his queen he continued. "Each loss of arable land in great Egypt is felt more keenly than such a loss would be felt up here, in your fertile landscapes. If we are to safeguard the most people before taking the fight to the heavens, then we must slay the monster that wreaks through our home. Storms and lesser beasts our people may weather, if with difficulty; but the divine beast, that cannot be dealt with by any but such as we."

He nods to the heavily armored dwarf in agreement. "The many paths my Queen has spoken of may be found in the meantime, and consultations with the bards and oracles may perhaps reveal what manner of opposition we will find in the heavens themselves. I pray we can make the gods come to their senses."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Lanharath

"Sobek's nightmare...I've longed to tangle with his pets." Lanharath says, his words heard loud and clear across the hall without needing to raise his voice. He still does, of course. "The farmers cry for aid, and we shall deliver!" He says, drinking the rest of the wine skin and tossing it behind him. He hops down off the bench and strides towards Queen Nefereti stopping mid-way to bow. "The nightmare will be slain, your fields will saved from ruin, your peasants free to plough once more, and you may have the fortune to thank Lanharath for the deeds, though my friends call me Garnet."
    Runa raises an eye at the hubris, and hopes it is one of supreme confidence. Still, sensing dark times ahead, high hopes and full hearts are a good way to start a journey. Still her eyes furrow as she debates the strategic and tactical implications of their first move.

"Armies march upon their stomachs it is true, and men become worse than fiends when their children starve, so it would seem wise the first step is to secure the granaries so we can gain the good will of the people and feed the armies that will keep them safe. Norsca can hold the Jotun while we dispatch the spawn of Sobek. The wind goes where it wills, but to the lands of Egypt seems most favorable to our cause. So says Runa, Daughter of Wind."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Nefereti nods, although to the perceptive amongst you there is a hint of her shoulders relaxing as if some weight had been lifted. As the various heroes shout out about the deserts there is a great from near Ragnar as Beowulf, slayer of monsters beloows a "if the trickster goes to the sands I shall go the mountains. Who is with me."... his drunken challenge echoes in the Temple for a second before Dienekes , second only to great leonidas of Sparta steps forward, red crested helm in the air shouting "I shall join you... if only to see fi the woman of norsca have beards as pretty as yours.." the response results ina gale of laughter as the warriors of Ragnar and his bodyguard clap and selute.

Neferti turns to Nefer-Horsif and shakes her head, "Your land needs you." before she nods to Amun-Ra, one of the hulk marrutacts clenching a man sizex double falchion in his hands. The marru steps forward and howls befroe also agreeing to join bewoulf. Although the jibes from some of the vikings about teaching dogs to fetch leave black furred knuckles cracking on the shaft of the two headed spear...

So it goes for another hour or so as three more parties of great heroes assembled. One to head towards Argos that is assailed by krakens from the depths, another heading into the mountains north of thebes seeking the fabled gates of hades whilst the final ones head to the frozen wastelands north of norsca into the wastes seeking the linnorm Níðhöggr who controls a pathway to Yggdrasil.

As the night continues Menelaus beckons for Ragnar and Nefereti to join him, the king having arranged a smaller table piled high with luxuries atop the small raised dais in front of the great stature of Zeus. Where even here, under the protection of the violet curtain someone has tied thick cloths over the statues gemmed eyes. As the fat king of the Mycenae sits alone so do Nefereti and Raganr approach alone, the queen smiling at her bodyguards, "Speak with the others you will be jounreying with. You must make plans to journey into the high desert to seek out the great beast.". Ragnar looking at Runa with a far more confident, "Let us see if these southerners can hold their mead eh..."...

@ ALL Feel free to introduce yourselves to each other as a table has been dragged forward for each of the adventuring groups to discuss as the mass of lesser heroes, guards and priests circular and chat to each other

With your enormous Fort saves it not like you'll be able to get drunk anyway!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeing the table dragged forward for the group dedicated to securing the cropland, Camilla takes a seat. Her tankard, still full of mead slams onto the table with surprising heft for a warrior with such a small stature. Once other heroes have joined the table she introduces herself.

"Camilla Lightmantle, warrior, healer, and I was a devotee of Athena. Now I place my faith here, with mortal-kind. While I know little about Sobek or this fell-beast, if it threatens the breadbasket of Egypt then I will be glad to join those seeking to fell it and safeguard the people. Once we've decided on any strategy and completed any preparations, I believe the magics in my possession will allow all of us to travel across the Mediterranean Sea to Egypt within the span of a single day."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nehemsek

Nehemsek knew who Nefer-Horsif was. Royal protector of great fame. He bowed his head lightly as a gesture to the man who served the queen and for a moment contemplated what could have been had Toth not cursed him to walk the earth as a curse.

Alas, the queen spoke to him as a man and accepted his service.

As the other groups formed ad prepared to leave, he took a glance at the ones destined to stop Sobek. He knew he could trust Nefer-Horsif and the self called Lanharath, despite his ignorance of the fertile lands, seemed to be sound.

To his mind came the verses of the Hymn to Ra, and the irony was striking.

"You create the distant sky and make the distant western heavens to shut in the hordes of the Living ones. You make the Eastern sky to fall down for them to adore you. The Southern sky is in peace, the Northern sky in beauty every day. Every face is in satisfaction, the people rejoice, their hearts are joyful every day."

To every cardinal point a group of heroes was going because hearts were not joyous.

He approached Larnharath and Runa, and spoke in their language with a coarse accent and with a common blessing he had heard in his travels.

"May your days be long as the serpent Jormungandr, and your nights peaceful as the moonlit fjords. I am Nehemsek, a traveler from the south and a servant to she who holds both crowns. We should discuss how to reach the high Nile soon.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Nefereti nods, although to the perceptive amongst you there is a hint of her shoulders relaxing as if some weight had been lifted. As the various heroes shout out about the deserts there is a great from near Ragnar as Beowulf, slayer of monsters bellows a "if the trickster goes to the sands I shall go the mountains. Who is with me."... his drunken challenge echoes in the Temple for a second before Dienekes , second only to great leonidas of Sparta steps forward, red crested helm in the air shouting "I shall join you... if only to see if the woman of norsca have beards as pretty as yours.." the response results in a gale of laughter as the warriors of Ragnar and his bodyguard clap and selute.

So it goes for another hour or so as three more parties of great heroes assembled. One to head towards Argos that is assailed by krakens from the depths, another heading into the mountains north of thebes seeking the fabled gates of hades whilst the final ones head to the frozen wastelands north of norsca into the wastes seeking the linnorm NÃ*ðhöggr who controls a pathway to Yggdrasil.

As the night continues Menelaus beckons for Ragnar and Nefereti to join him, the king having arranged a smaller table piled high with luxuries atop the small raised dais in front of the great stature of Zeus. Where even here, under the protection of the violet curtain someone has tied thick cloths over the statues gemmed eyes. As the fat king of the Mycenae sits alone so do Nefereti and Raganr approach alone, the queen smiling at her bodyguards, "Speak with the others you will be journeying with. You must make plans to journey into the high desert to seek out the great beast.". Ragnar looking at Runa with a far more confident, "Let us see if these southerners can hold their mead eh..."...
    With a nod to Ragnar, Runa taps her spear on the the ground and it immediately transforms into a finely braided whip, which she wraps around her waist with a practiced move. The shield disappears in a trick of the hand. She takes up a prodigious horn of mead and joins the festivities. She grabs a haunch of beef and feeds bits of it to the raven at her shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Seeing the table dragged forward for the group dedicated to securing the cropland, Camilla takes a seat. Her tankard, still full of mead slams onto the table with surprising heft for a warrior with such a small stature. Once other heroes have joined the table she introduces herself.

"Camilla Lightmantle, warrior, healer, and I was a devotee of Athena. Now I place my faith here, with mortal-kind. While I know little about Sobek or this fell-beast, if it threatens the breadbasket of Egypt then I will be glad to join those seeking to fell it and safeguard the people. Once we've decided on any strategy and completed any preparations, I believe the magics in my possession will allow all of us to travel across the Mediterranean Sea to Egypt within the span of a single day."
    "Well met, Dame Lightmantle. I am Runa, Daughter of Wind. And this..." she says with a winning smile, gesturing to the raven that is greedily eating the meat from her hand. "Is Kloka, my better half. I too possess magics capable of transporting a small warband, such as ourselves to the Lands of Egypt."

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Nehemsek

Nehemsek knew who Nefer-Horsif was. Royal protector of great fame. He bowed his head lightly as a gesture to the man who served the queen and for a moment contemplated what could have been had Toth not cursed him to walk the earth as a curse.

Alas, the queen spoke to him as a man and accepted his service.

As the other groups formed ad prepared to leave, he took a glance at the ones destined to stop Sobek. He knew he could trust Nefer-Horsif and the self called Lanharath, despite his ignorance of the fertile lands, seemed to be sound.

To his mind came the verses of the Hymn to Ra, and the irony was striking.

"You create the distant sky and make the distant western heavens to shut in the hordes of the Living ones. You make the Eastern sky to fall down for them to adore you. The Southern sky is in peace, the Northern sky in beauty every day. Every face is in satisfaction, the people rejoice, their hearts are joyful every day."

To every cardinal point a group of heroes was going because hearts were not joyous.

He approached Larnharath and Runa, and spoke in their language with a coarse accent and with a common blessing he had heard in his travels.

"May your days be long as the serpent Jormungandr, and your nights peaceful as the moonlit fjords. I am Nehemsek, a traveler from the south and a servant to she who holds both crowns. We should discuss how to reach the high Nile soon.
    Runa nods in appreciation of Nehemsek's verse.
    "Well met, Traveler. Your verse is a pretty thing, it would make the bards of the North blush. I am Runa, Daughter of Wind, and this is my Kloka." she says, introducing both herself and her raven.

"it is wise to make plans I agree, but I am...reluctant to make them in presence of the graven image of the Greek's All Father. It would seem...unlucky to plot against the gods in their own temples where their ears are sharpest, purple rains or not."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Even as the mortals of the realms discuss things the wariness in front of the depiction of the Gods is wise. Screams echo suddenly from outside the temple and you are all shaken at your table, drinks and bottles and haunches of meat scattering as the very temple shakes on its foundations.

The double doors of carved marble explode under the impact of something as flames erupt at the entrance of the temple, 3 of the cloaked Greek guards erupting into pillars of human flames. From trough the door the night sky and the curtain of violet can be seen before with a shimmering ripple the violet fades to tye night sky now lit through glowing orange embers!

Screams echo from within the temple, the shouts of order and confusions and great shouts “protect the king… save the Queen.” From atop the small dias the 3 rulers move swiftly as bodyguards swoop in. Menaleus gesturing ”This way, a secret passage” he shouts. Ragnar looks to his closet men and gestures beneath Zeus’s groin before looking to Rina ”Save the nile!”. The graceful queen of the Nile is the same as several of the marru heft weapons and run towards the door, others running to tye Queen. Nefertiti looks at her two heroes ”Save the Kemnet, stop the beast of Sobek.”

She turns, cloak flaring as she goes to flee with the other rulers. On the far side of the chamber Amun and Beowulf and Dionekes grab weapons and start heading towards the door, other heroes running towards the main double doors or the side entrances that lead into the mountain paths…

Currently you are in a 200ft by 60ft temple concourse. The main doors just exploded…
    Some options would be
    1/ main door and investigate the attack
    2/ Follow the rulers down the secret passage
    3/ take rear exit to tye top of the cliffs
    4/ side exit to small mountain paths down the cliffs
    5/ stay still and eat your meal

22. - Top - End - #22

Imp

Henry Pascal has never been one to cower from the prospect of a fight. At least... not since the halcyon days of his youth as a weak insignificant whelp. But those times are long behind him now.

Now, was the time for strength.

As he grabbed his great Butchering Axe from off his back, he rushed forward towards the main doors in order to investigate the attack. But still, he made sure to make note of the secret exit, should he require it's services in the near future.

"It's never a good idea to run from an unknown assailant. It only makes it easier to pick you all off, unless it's attention is pre-occupied elsewhere. Sometimes in order for others to run... someone must fight!"

As he says those words, an eerily familiar scene plays in his head. A man, slain by a Balor, as his wife runs away, carrying their child in her hands. But just as soon it comes up, Henry dismisses the notion.

He wasn't planning on dying today.

23. - Top - End - #23

Lanharath

"Was only a matter of time before the gods found us here. Shall we give their servants a beating for their effort or journey to the Nile?" He says and cracks his knuckles and stretches his arms, getting ready for a fight. "I see this one has run to battle..." He nods to Henry. "But what say the rest? Fight or flee?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Barksin, waiting to see what others want to do.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nehemsek

Nehemsek watched the queen move to safety.

Whatever urgency there is to stop Sobek falls second to grant the queen some time to get to safety. Fighting it is

He crossed the hall and moved into the shadows of the columns, unarmed, almost invisible.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Moving towards the door along the columns, using Hide in plain sight to hide behind the shadows of a column. Stealth (1d20+40)[53] Perception (1d20+36)[37]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Camilla tosses her tankard into her haversack and draws her over-sized hammer with a flourish.

"I will stand with you."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Henry and Camillla stride towards the gates, fragments of burning stone and shattered marble crunching under their feet. Gazing down the expanse of marble steps is looking into a scene of destruction. Bodies, flaming debris and screams echo up the wide 100ft breadth of marble steps that to lead the temple concourse. A swirling portal into a hellscape of void black sky icy peaks stands open, a shimmering gate way on the wide rocky path that meets the stairs and a woman stands there. Although to call her a woman is perhaps not the best description; she is vast, 60ft tall, skeletally thin with wild white hair whipping in the savage winds in Hel. Her face that of two sides, one most monstrous the other of breathtaking beauty. Henry and Camillla reach the doorway the woman waves her twisted white wood staff and a coruscating wave of black fire rolls outwards and half way up the stairs and you can hear the screams as it consumes the bodies and souls of the fleeing priests and soldiers that had been stationed around the isolated Temple.

Men and women garbed in fur and steel begin to assemble at the doorway, a few nodding to Henry or Camilla, although you can see a tremor in of the spear hands or beads of sweat under the rims of helmets as from behind Hel's poised form more shapes appears, a dozen or so huge forms, massive creatures with blue skin, massive weapons, wild beards and savage that leap into the real world with earth shaking force, lightning flaring from them as it leaps from armored and cloaked grecian guards clustered on the stairs as the poor men explode in gobbets of flesh and metal...

OOC

Hel, the literal goddess Hel stands visible through a rift to the Niflheim ~400ft away
    The wide marble stairs to the temple are at this point ~100ft wide and ~200ft long, then its 200ft o the rocky rad that led here.

Currently just stepped out of the rift are ~12 massive hulking giants that stand some 35ft tall (gargantuan creatures).
    - Know (nature) for Giant lore

You may roll for Init in the OOC, if you get >18 you can go before the Giants start acting

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    "it is wise to make plans I agree, but I am...reluctant to make them in presence of the graven image of the Greek's All Father. It would seem...unlucky to plot against the gods in their own temples where their ears are sharpest, purple rains or not."
    ....or else something bad might happen, you know, something LIKE THAT! Runa thinks as the doors explode and havoc commences. Kloka takes flight and appraises her of the situation. The Jotun give her little pause, but...the Mistress of Niflheim herself causes cold dread to ice her boots. Still, courage is not the absence of fear, but the will to conquer it. Ragnar's words are wise, but her warband is already springing into action, eager and spill blood. And, truth be told, so was she, she had already seen so much suffering heaped on mortals already, it was time to stand, if for no other reason than to buy the Kings time to escape. She snapped Vaengrblitz from her waist and struck the longspear to the floor before her horn of mead even hit the floor. The longspears pommel struck like a peal of thunder as the Banner of Ancient Kings Unfurled.

"MORTALS! TO ARMS! DEFEND THE KINGS OF MAN! HOLD THE LINE!"

Spoiler: Actions and Buffs oh my!
    Show

Free Action Flagbearer - +2 Morale Atk/Damage, Can Reroll Failed Will Saves
    Standard Action Warleader - All allies gain the Bonded Mind teamwork feat
    Swift Action - Inspiring Rage - Allies gain +8 Moral Bonus to Str/Con, +6 Morale Bonus to Will Saves, Immunity to Shaken and Frightened, Can add +1d6 Electrical damage 3 times during the rage, Electricity Resistance 10, FLIGHT 60 (Good). And +1 Attack on a Full Attack. No penalty to ac or restriction on spellcasting or skill use.
    Move action - Draw Weapon/Enter Indomitable Presence: At 2nd level, the warlord shines as a beacon to his allies on the field of battle, inspiring them to fight with him to their last breath. All allies within 30-ft. of his position gain the benefits of the Die Hard feat, and may add his warlord initiation modifier [+10] to Fortitude saves versus death effects, fatigue or exhaustion effects, or poison effects as a morale bonus.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nehemsek

Nehemsek moved towards the gates to face the approaching twelve giants he switched to a combat stance and adopted the style of the flowing Nile as he flew upwards.

We'll take this giants and protect the temple!

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Swift:Adopt Cursed Mirror Stance and Mithral Current style
    Double Move 100' in a 45 angle from the gate towards the rift.

29. - Top - End - #29

Lanharath

"Hel! By the gods, what a face!" Lanharath says as he starts jogging towards the curtain into Nifelheim. He finds his steps elevated by Runa's warcry and he nods to her before he transforms into a massive snake, 45ft long and weighing thousands of pounds. He gnashes his teeth and flicks his tongue out at the giants, smelling them in the air. The end of his tail flickers in a familiar pattern, tracing out somatic movements for a spell and his already wicked teeth grow even larger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Fly 70ft
    Swift: Wild Shape into a Titanoboa!.
    Standard: Cast Strong Jaw.

Lanharath

HP 562/562
    AC 36 (10 +7 Armor +4 Dex +12 Natural Armor +5 Enhancement to Natural Armor +5 Deflection +1 Class -8 Size)
    Touch AC 12 (10 +4 Dex +5 Deflection +1 Class -8 Size)
    CMD: 77

- Attack +34, Damage 12d6+35, Critical 20/x3, 30ft Reach
    - Greater Vital Strike/Attack of Opportunity: +34 Attack, 48d6+35 Damage
    - Constrict: 12d6+30 Damage

Spells Active:
    - Greater Magic Fang (Bite attack +5 Enhancement, 23 Hours)
    - Greater Longstrider (Self, +20ft Enhancement land speed, +10ft Enhancement other speeds, 23 Hours)
    - Barkskin (+5 Enhancement bonus to Natural Armor, 230 minutes)
    - Strongjaw (Double the amount of damage dealt by natural attack)
    - Colossal Wild Shape (+16 Str, -4 Dex, +10 Con, +12 NA, -8 Attack, -8 AC)

Other Magics:
    - Inspired Rage (+8 Morale Bonus to Str/Con, +6 Morale Bonus to Will Saves, Immunity to Shaken and Frightened, Flight 60 (Good))

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

At the encroachment of the Norse goddess' strike force, Nefer-Horsif gasps in horror at the swift deaths around them before setting his mouth in a firm line. As Runa's magical song washed over them, Nefer-Horsif whirls his staff over his head once and the tiny globe of light flashes a determined orange, pulsing power over everyone still present in the temple's main hall. A wave of vitality settles over them all, with a particular burst of fiery light seeming to gather around the large human warrior's great axe. "Strike them all!" he shouts to the warrior as he adopts a ready stance, fire dancing across his fingertips.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nefer-Horsif
    Mystic 20/Animus Adept 3 // Monk 1/Inquisitor 2/Animus Adept 2
    Init +24; Senses Perception +58, See In Darkness, scent, Luckdrinker Aura
    AC 41, Touch 35, Flat-footed 32
    HP 322/322; fast healing 12
    Fort +27, Ref +29, Will +41 (Withstand Spell +5)
    Speed 50 ft, fly 80 (average)
    Illumination 13
    Animus 19
    Current Stance Luckdrinker Aura
    Current Styles Radiant Dawn Style (Daybreak, Sunlight), Elemental Flux Style
    Aura Soul Candle 15 feet (+13 insight all skills/CL/ML checks, fast healing 12, +13 weapon damage of current active element (Fire)
    Conditions Temp HP +12 (+4 AC/saves, +20 speed), Mirror Image 12 rounds, IMMUNE critical/sneak attack 12 rounds, Inspired Rage (+8 Str/Con, +6 morale Will)

Nefer-Horsif adopts Radiant Dawn Style and Elemental Flux style as a free action (due to Combat Style Master) and rolls for his granted maneuvers (in OOC). Owing to Radiant Sunlight and his current Fast Healing, he (and any allies who were w/in 15 feet of him) now has +12 temporary HP, +4 AC, +4 saves, and +20 to movement speeds so long as they benefit from temp HP granted by him. Owing to the encroachment of Frost Giants, he changes his active element to Fire as a free action. He gains 20 points of animus due to the beginning of combat.

Swift: Dual boosts Decree of Purity on all allies w/in 75 feet and Sunstroke on Henry Pascal. Decree of Purity heals everyone for +10 HP, so that anyone who was NOT within 15 feet of him now has +10 temp hp and benefits from Radiant Sunlight, gaining +4 AC/saves and +20 speed. Sunstroke allows Henry Pascal to make his next melee or ranged attack at a 1,240 foot range, and by halving the damage of that attack he may choose to have that attack be resolved as a 20 ft burst to hit anyone within (so hopefully hitting multiple giants, or Hel if he so chooses).

He spends 1 point of animus to use the Illusionary State martial glyph on himself as part of the boost action. He now has Mirror Image with 8 images (doesn't need to roll, as his CL for it is 23, meaning he has 1d4+7 and the max is 8).

He gains one point of animus and one point of Illumination from initiating a boost.

Full Round Action: Spends 1 point of animus to cast the Fortified Heart martial glyph on all of his allies including himself. Everyone is now Immune to critical hits/sneak attacks for 12 rounds.

Last edited by Da'Shain; 2024-02-13 at 06:18 PM.