New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Dead mans hand IC

the town of sinhole arizona stretches out like water to a dying man. its a few mom and pop shops, a saloon, a barbers, aand a gambling hall

please introduce your characters, and tell me what has brought you to sinhole

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Dead mans hand IC

The tall man has been following the road south for some time. Officially, the Federal Government recognized Dakota as a a Sovereign State, and the treaty seemed strong as long as the rail spur connecting the Deadwood enclave to the outside was left intact.

But the idea the Sioux would send spies into American territory was uncharted waters. More to the point, he did not want to tip off any Ravenites that an agent of the Great Spirits was onto them.

So he pretended to be a simple cowboy, albeit curiously unarmed. He was not bound by the Old Ways Oath, but holding a soulless, mass-produced machine of death disgusted him, and he would not do it.

It was in this context the man who introduced himself to Strangers by the silly name of "John Horse" rode into Sinhole, hoping for fresh water, at least.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Have a nice day, and God bless!"

Everyone in Sinhole has seen Dixie Daniels at the counter of Parker's Apothecary, or at church. Always clad in a demure, plain dress, with a small gold cross pendant at her neck, and a polite smile upon her face. She has lived in Sinhole for about three years now, and has become a pillar of her community. The entire congregation of the church loves her, even though Father Gregor will never look her in the eye. She speaks with a New Orleans drawl, but never talks more about it than to decry it as "More befitting this charming town's name."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Mack Veritos is a surly old man, who is here in Sinhole simply trying to make a life for himself as a repair man. He's surprisingly good at it too. Whatever contraption the townfolk bring to him, more often than not he's able to fix it. Whether a chariot, or a rifle, or a leaky barrel, or a broken breadbasket, his understanding and willingness to help belies his typical leave-me-alone attitude.

He's only been in Sinhole, AZ for close to 6 months and keeps his personal life private. But it hasn't gone unnoticed that his windows are always closed, and he never really looks anyone in the eyes but rather behind them or off to the side. Perhaps he is hiding out? Perhaps he is running away? Perhaps he is only a strange smart old man?

Whatever the reason, his door is always open. At least symbolically. One must knock first. But he's become a friend to the town and most just call him "Guy".
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2024-02-05 at 09:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Tall Man heads to the well, nodding to the nearby townsfolk. He see to his horse, then starts filling his canteens.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Dixie carries a broad, flat basket in both hands, walking about the town square. She pauses near Tall Man, and puts on her best smile.

"Well, hi there, stranger! Y'all new in town? You look like you've ridden rough, if I may be so bold. Might I interest you in a free sample of Parker's new tonic? It'll take the edge off your saddle aches."

She holds the basket forwards, showing the tiny, shallow bowls of some greenish-brown oil arranged within.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis1618 View Post
    Dixie carries a broad, flat basket in both hands, walking about the town square. She pauses near Tall Man, and puts on her best smile.

"Well, hi there, stranger! Y'all new in town? You look like you've ridden rough, if I may be so bold. Might I interest you in a free sample of Parker's new tonic? It'll take the edge off your saddle aches."

She holds the basket forwards, showing the tiny, shallow bowls of some greenish-brown oil arranged within.
    "Thank you kindly, Miss!" The tall man takes the bowl, but makes no effort to introduce himself or taste it. In truth, he is suspicious it is tainted with Ghost Rock, so feels it may be a clue to finding agents of The Enemy

After a pause, he realizes this wasn't enough. "They call me John Horse, I'm a cowboy, of sorts, passing through. Mayhap you know if some of some work needs doing?"
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2024-02-10 at 06:52 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfBarbarianGuy

An old man walks by with his tools trying to ignore this exchange until he hears the word "work."

Work?! What do you mean work? What kind of work? he injects himself into the conversation, not at all hiding his scowl, glaring at the new comer.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

all of you would notice two strange people wandering into town. one is a hulking man with one piercing ice-blue eye who totes a gatling gun like it's nothing. he sniffs the air several times, and will lumber along as a small dwarf with a pair of six-guns on his hips rides the hulking giant like a horse. the dwarf will tip his hat, and take the giant over to the horse trough, where the giant greedily drinks his fill. the dwarf will dismount, and tack up a wanted poster for a certain deserter.

the dwarf will call out "im looking for this man. a buck for information, 25 bucks to whoever helps me collar him" the giant, now finished drinking, will scan the people with his single eye

(1d6)[5]

(1d6)[2]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Well, as Matthew said, 'Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find.' I think you just found what you're looking for, Mr. Horse."

"Also, hi there, Mr. Veritos. How's your back? In need of a bit of our new tonic?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

John Horse thinks about it, deliberating on purpose. "Yes, I suppose I have. This deserter is my Quarry."

This was a break in the job, a way to maybe get info from the Federals without letting on he was funneling information back to The Black Hills.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis1618 View Post
    "Well, as Matthew said, 'Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find.' I think you just found what you're looking for, Mr. Horse."

"Also, hi there, Mr. Veritos. How's your back? In need of a bit of our new tonic?"
    Mack barely hears the question as he squints at the lumbering giant and his rider, before replying with his head down surprisingly more hunched than usual, "Uh yes, but not at the moment. I've far to much to work on. Uh, bring it by the shop later." And he hurriedly turns and makes his way in another direction towards a nearby building.

Spoiler: Out of character
    Show

Are there any places nearby that Mack would know of that will have random bits and pieces if he needed to build anything?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

As requested, Dixie leaves a bowl by his door, then continues walking about the town square distributing samples to whomever she can. When there's a lull in foot traffic, however, she will sidle over and take a closer look at that poster.

"I wonder ... is this my calling? I don't much fancy the idea of fighting him, but maybe I can tag along with a few poultices? I'm sure they'll consider that 'helping,' right? If I sell this to Mr. Parker, he might even pay me for the time. I'll be pushing his product, after all."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

confused Re: Dead mans hand IC

John Horse says to Dixie, " I would obliged for your assistance, if you are interested, Ma'am." It so happens that...
    Spoiler: hot streak, continued
    Show

(1d4)[2] see OoC for details
    GNU Terry Pratchett

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

john horse: there happens to be an old jewish woman called the witch of Bethlehem. shes favorably disposed to those not of the cloth, and outcasts. she lives out in a hut about two miles from town, and tends to keep to herself. its said that she can hex someone for the right price

mack: there is sutlers tinker shop, about two shops to your six.

dixie: the giant will casually flash a series of rapid fire hand signals to the dwarf who nods, and flashes some back

wdyd?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    John Horse says to Dixie, " I would obliged for your assistance, if you are interested, Ma'am." It so happens that...
    Spoiler: hot streak, continued
    Show

[roll0] see OoC for details
    Dixie looks up, startled. "I ... I'm no gunslinger. I'm just a humble, Godly woman, sir. I'd be happy to tag along, and maybe tend to a wound, but I'm not promising to shoot anyone."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Well that's fine, I don't carry a piece m'self. I just think we should pay a call to an old lady, and a single man going alone might give folks the wrong idea."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"In that case, certainly! I'm off work in two hours. I'd be happy to come with you then. Do you know of any tonics or treatments she might need?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I regret to say I only know her by reputation, but she lives a ways out of town, so might reasonably be worried about varmints."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #20

DwarfBarbarianGuy

As quickly as he's able, and without drawing attention, Mack hobbles his way over to the tinker shop, "Well hello there Sutler! Don't mind me I'm just browsing." He makes his way over to the window to see outside as he looks over and grabs various random parts.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    "I regret to say I only know her by reputation, but she lives a ways out of town, so might reasonably be worried about varmints."
    Once Dixie has distributed all her free samples, she returns to the shop.

"Mr. Parker, might I have a moment? Thanks. A gentleman wishes for me to accompany him to pay a visit to a woman living out of town. Might I take with me a couple of bottles of stuff, in case she wants to buy something? Also, I may need to be a bit late tomorrow, if the trip takes too long."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

mack: sutler nods, and will let you pick out some things. "whats the hurry mack? you look like youve seen a ghost" sutler will pop a pipe in his teeth, and begin to smoke

(gimme a small list of what your picking, and ill adjudicate the price)

john horse: as you approach the dwarf, he will look at you, flashing a wanted poster. "do tell me when and at what time?" he will peel a greenback out of his breast pocket, keeping it between thumb and forefinger.

dixie: ms parker will nod. "be careful dixie" she says

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfBarbarianGuy

(He's not looking to buy exactly. He's keeping an eye on the guys with the wanted poster. But will make something out of the parts available, should things go south. Can he see the wanted poster and who is on it?)

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfBarbarianGuy

(Hey everyone, Are we still wanting to get this one going?)