New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Critical assessment of my Archmage

Hey guys,
    my campaign is ever more entering late mid- to high-level game, meaning, I, as a DM need to ever more dip into the knowledge of higher level casters and spells. I'd appreciate a quick assessment of my, slightly changed, Archmage (Drow racial traits added).

Brief overview:
    - his crux of the selected spells is Wish. Wish can duplicate any spell of lvl 8 or lower. During his existence, AM has used Wish to cast Clone and several Simulacri he keeps in storage in case of his abode being invaded
    - every day he casts Mage Armor, Gift of Alacrity, Mind Blank. A little bit of buffs along with no-snooping Mind Blank
    - For taking down hp-rich targets, there is Disintegrate, for taking opponents out-of-action for a while, there is Forcecage and Wall of Force
    - there is an array of other spells there to deal with several enemies of weaker hp pool

One thing I wonder is does it make sense to have him, at the start of the battle cast some other buff, given in the spell roster(all official spells) I do not see something that would really improve his chances vs. melee/ranged or spell caster enemies beyond casting Mirror Image?

Spoiler: Archmage
    Show
    Has cast Clone, not worried about dying. Can get out of trouble via the dimension door.
    Precast Spells: mage armor, gift of alacrity, mind blank
    Has 5 simulacri at his disposal.

Plan:
    if enemy is detected beforehand:

Orders Simulacrums to kill the intruders, Mirror image/counterspell
    AOE: black tentacles (conc.)/counterspell
    Forcecage/counterspell
    Disintegrate/counterspell
    Cone of cold/counterspell
    Lightning bolt/counterspell

if not:
    Orders Simulacrums to kill the intruders/counterspell
    Forcecage/counterspell

Dark Elf Archmage
    Medium Humanoid (Elf), Neutral Evil
    Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
    Hit Points 99 (18d8 + 18)
    Speed 30 ft.
    STR10(+0) DEX 14(+2) CON 12(+1) INT 20(+5) WIS 15(+2) CHA 16(+3)
    INITIATIVE: +2 +(1d8 - gift of alacrity)
    Saving Throws INT +9, WIS +6
    Skills Arcana +13, History +13
    Damage Resistances Damage from Spells
    Senses Senses Darkvision 120 ft. Passive Perception 12
    Languages Common, Elven, Draconic, Sylvan, Druidic, Undercommon
    Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
    Proficiency Bonus +4

Fey Ancestry. The drow has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put the drow to sleep.

Magic Resistance. The archmage has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the drow has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Spellcasting. The archmage is an 18th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). The archmage can cast disguise self and invisibility at will and has the following wizard spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): fire bolt, light, mage hand, prestidigitation, shocking grasp

1st level (4 2 slots): gift of alacrity* identify, mage armor*, magic missile

2nd level (3 slots): detect thoughts, mirror image, misty step

3rd level (3 slots): counterspell, fly, lightning bolt

4th level (3 slots): banishment, black tentacles, dimension door

5th level (3 slots): cone of cold, scrying, wall of force

6th level (1 slot): disintegrate

7th level (1 slot): forcecage

8th level (1 slot): mind blank*

9th level (1 slot): wish (used for 5x simulacrum, 1x clone)

*The archmage casts these spells on itself before combat.

Actions
    Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Spoiler: Simulacrum
    Show

SIMULACRUM (can use spell slots to upcast/recast dark tentacles/forcecage/disintegrate…
    Dark Elf Archmage
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 50 (18d8 + 18)
    Speed 30 ft.
    Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
    Proficiency Bonus +4

Fey Ancestry. The drow has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put the drow to sleep.

Magic Resistance. The archmage has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the drow has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Spellcasting. The archmage is an 18th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). The archmage can cast disguise self and invisibility at will and has the following wizard spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): fire bolt, light, mage hand, prestidigitation, shocking grasp

1st level (4 slots): gift of alacrity* identify, mage armor*, magic missile

8th level (1 slot): mind blank

9th level (1 slot): wish (used for simulacrum)

Actions
    Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Critical assessment of my Archmage

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Hey guys,
    my campaign is ever more entering late mid- to high-level game, meaning, I, as a DM need to ever more dip into the knowledge of higher level casters and spells. I'd appreciate a quick assessment of my, slightly changed, Archmage (Drow racial traits added).

Brief overview:
    - his crux of the selected spells is Wish. Wish can duplicate any spell of lvl 8 or lower. During his existence, AM has used Wish to cast Clone and several Simulacri he keeps in storage in case of his abode being invaded
    - every day he casts Mage Armor, Gift of Alacrity, Mind Blank. A little bit of buffs along with no-snooping Mind Blank
    - For taking down hp-rich targets, there is Disintegrate, for taking opponents out-of-action for a while, there is Forcecage and Wall of Force
    - there is an array of other spells there to deal with several enemies of weaker hp pool

One thing I wonder is does it make sense to have him, at the start of the battle cast some other buff, given in the spell roster(all official spells) I do not see something that would really improve his chances vs. melee/ranged or spell caster enemies beyond casting Mirror Image?

Spoiler: Archmage
    Show
    Has cast Clone, not worried about dying. Can get out of trouble via the dimension door.
    Precast Spells: mage armor, gift of alacrity, mind blank
    Has 5 simulacri at his disposal.

Plan:
    if enemy is detected beforehand:

Orders Simulacrums to kill the intruders, Mirror image/counterspell
    Forcecage/counterspell

if not:
    Orders Simulacrums to kill the intruders/counterspell
    Forcecage/counterspell

Dark Elf Archmage
    Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
    Hit Points 99 (18d8 + 18)
    Speed 30 ft.
    Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
    Proficiency Bonus +4

1st level (4 2 slots): gift of alacrity* identify, mage armor*, magic missile

8th level (1 slot): mind blank*

9th level (1 slot): wish (used for 5x simulacrum, 1x clone)

Actions

Spoiler: Simulacrum
    Show

SIMULACRUM (can use spell slots to upcast/recast dark tentacles/forcecage/disintegrate…
    Dark Elf Archmage
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 50 (18d8 + 18)
    Speed 30 ft.
    Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
    Proficiency Bonus +4

1st level (4 slots): gift of alacrity* identify, mage armor*, magic missile

8th level (1 slot): mind blank

9th level (1 slot): wish (used for simulacrum)

Actions

No offense meant, Hoboknight, but this is like the fifth thread you make about your party facing an Archmage (or Archmage with mooks, or two Archmages), the Archmage not being powerful enough by your estimation and requiring adjustments in both spell selection and tactics.

I'm not sure what we could tell you now that we didn't tell you the first four times.

Ultimately, it'll take far more than a CR 12 with some adjustment to be a threat to your lvl 15-ish party of 4 optimized Paladins + another optimized martial PC. Even with Simulacrum shenanigans.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

@Unoriginal
    No offence taken - I've received some very good partial advice so far :) It's just that I am learning things in layers and going from "what are some good spells" to "what are good preparations" for an Archmage to actually fleshing out an Archmage with full spell roster.

Now, I have a hunch (and it is just a hunch) that a capable, rather optimised player could run an AM as a real threat to such a party. I can say I have learned much from where I have started - The Clone, the Simulacrum, the no-save Forcecage(albeit target can still teleport out) to no-save Maze to less be-all end-all Disintegration. I feel a competent player could run AM or a lvl 20 wiz far better then me at this point.
    I am still wondering if AM could be further buffed vs. melee characters - Mage Armor with Shield only gets AM to AC 20. Mirror Image applies some more consumable buffs. Many things that people sometimes point out (Globe of Invulnerability, Stone skin, Fly... are completelly useles at higher tier gameplay. Globe only protects against lower level spells. Stone skin is only applicable to non-magical damage. Fly... heck, any lvl 15 can fly).

I've read AM paragraph in Monsters know what they doing several times... spell roster and tactics there are far below what I think can be get out of AM.

I'm approaching my question this time with a fully built AM - with knowledge of Clone, Simulacrum, Forcecage, Disintegrate... However I still feel I am missing some basic optimization elements.

Thus another thread on, I admit, a similar topic, yet, I feel, from another perspective.
    Last edited by HoboKnight; 2024-02-08 at 01:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I'd say unoriginal is correct that starting with a higher CR monster would be better. Something like Niv Mizzet or Sul Khatesh would be a wizard capable of being a much bigger threat than an Archmage.

But let's say try to make the archmage scary. To start with he needs a level 9 spell to use in combat, actually make that 2 since he has a simulacrum (I'm ignoring the chaining but you can pretty much follow the same script for em all if you want, or have the first set of 3 act as a mid dungeon fakeout miniboss to draw out resources and then have the real mage and the other 2 act as the final boss). Anyways as for the mage let's give him Invulnerability and then the Sim can use Shapechange (or perhaps Meteor Swarm or Prismatic Wall if you want to save concentration for something else). If you want to go wild you can have them start slamming the party with Meteor Swarms as soon as they're within a mile. But if you do that it'll feel a lot like a rocks fall everyone dies situation to the group.
    Next would be level 8 spells. Mind Blank is great but that can be cast the night before, you're concentrating on something so you want to do something w/o concentration. Feeblemind is good here. Even with a +5 from the paladin aura I doubt anyone in the group has a great Int save.

Oh and when talking about things cast the night before how about he wished for a Heroe's Feast for dinner last night? That'll give him advantage on Wis saves on immunity to fear and poison. If I remember correctly one of your paladins uses fear effects a lot right? So it'll be nice for our wizard not to have to worry about that. While we're at it let's say he also Wished for a Greater Steed at some point. Riding around on a pegasus (that's immune to all damage, charms and fear) gives our guy a lot more mobility which is always helpful.

So far we have pre cast before a long rest; Simulacrum, Clone, Mind Blank, Heroe's Feast, and Find Greater Steed. Precast with a slot; Gift of Alacrity, Mage Armor, Invulnerability (10 minute duration so it may or may not be feasible depending on how much forewarning he has). He might also benefit from precastings of Greater Invisibility, Haste, True Seeing, and Blink. These might be cast either through glyphs or Sims though.

Is the mage fighting these guys on his own turf? If so Glyphs and Wards, Mirage Arcane, Private Sanctum (emphasis on the anti teleport functions), Sympathy, and as many Symbols and Glyphs of Warding as you're comfortable putting in there. And of course some planar bound creatures to guard and patrol. Wow this is starting to sound a lot like a dungeon huh? Let's grab an Illusory Dragon too that the party can "fight" while our mage sits there invisibly and stuffs them in a Forcecage and fills that cage with persistent AoE damage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kingcheesepants View Post
    Oh and when talking about things cast the night before how about he wished for a Heroe's Feast for dinner last night?
    The MM AM does not have wish (and I suspect there's a reason for that) but if this one does would he do that every night?
    There are a lot of other spells that could be wished for (my bard's retirement plan included spending a year casting teleportation circle, while she is raising her child) using wish so that her local stronghold is tied into a known teleportation circle in the world that her (still existing) adventuring guild is able to use. Her next year was to be spent doing something similar with Mighty Fortress every seven days ...
    So far we have pre cast before a long rest; Simulacrum, Clone, Mind Blank, Heroe's Feast, and Find Greater Steed.
    Precast with a slot; Gift of Alacrity, Mage Armor, Invulnerability (10 minute duration so it may or may not be feasible depending on how much forewarning he has). He might also benefit from precastings of Greater Invisibility, Haste, True Seeing, and Blink. These might be cast either through glyphs or Sims though.
    How does he know when they are coming?
    Is the mage fighting these guys on his own turf? If so Glyphs and Wards, Mirage Arcane, Private Sanctum (emphasis on the anti teleport functions), Sympathy, and as many Symbols and Glyphs of Warding as you're comfortable putting in there.
    And of course some planar bound creatures to guard and patrol.
    Wow this is starting to sound a lot like a dungeon huh?
    Let's grab an Illusory Dragon too that the party can "fight" while our mage sits there invisibly and stuffs them in a Forcecage and fills that cage with persistent AoE damage.
    I like your style ...
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-02-14 at 01:55 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The MM AM does not have wish (and I suspect there's a reason for that) but if this one does would he do that every night?
    There are a lot of other spells that could be wished for (my bard's retirement plan included spending a year casting teleportation circle, while she is raising her child) using wish so that her local stronghold is tied into a known teleportation circle in the world that her (still existing) adventuring guild is able to use. Her next year was to be spent doing something similar with Mighty Fortress every seven days ...
    How does he know when they are coming?
    I like your style ...
    Hoboknights guy explicitly has Wish already, and yeah the monster manual version doesn't have it cause it's a CR 12 creature and wish would be crazy overkill. Instead the MM version gets the relatively weak Time Stop and a handful of mediocre buffs to use it with.

Would the mage be having Heroes' Feast every night? Well after he's got his Greater Steed and his Clones and Sims all up and running and if he isn't involved in some sort of other long term project than yeah probably. It's a delicious meal that gives a bunch of useful effects that would be nice to have and isn't a bad choice for the default cast this at the end of the day if you aren't using the slot for anything particular.

How does he know they're coming? Scrying is already in his spellbook and if he's got Guards and Wards and other such defenses set up he will presumably be given enough forewarning to prep and cast the appropriate spells.

It may be a mean dirty trick but hey it works.
    Last edited by kingcheesepants; 2024-02-15 at 04:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm actually studying all these spells/combos atm in order to write a responce with some more questions. :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Okay. I think I am really happy with the knowledge I have so far. I might have some more questions after the testing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kingcheesepants View Post
    Would the mage be having Heroes' Feast every night? Well after he's got his Greater Steed and his Clones and Sims all up and running and if he isn't involved in some sort of other long term project than yeah probably. It's a delicious meal that gives a bunch of useful effects that would be nice to have and isn't a bad choice for the default cast this at the end of the day if you aren't using the slot for anything particular.
    See expensive spell components, unless he's casting it with wish.
    How does he know they're coming? Scrying is already in his spellbook and if he's got Guards and Wards and other such defenses set up he will presumably be given enough forewarning to prep and cast the appropriate spells.
    That's right, he's got scrying. Forgot.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society