New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Why are BG3 martials so good

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    A quick caviot is we can only do this for doors, since this is also about traps. And traps will trigger automatically on failure.
    An awful lot of the game's traps can be conveniently bypassed without any check at all. Even were this not the case, it's pretty easy to make DC20-30 checks, no Rogue required.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    This is correct. Some features (Rage, Wild Shape) still prevent it but you don't need to be a spellcaster otherwise to use scrolls, and there's no 'scroll failure' check like in tabletop. First level fighter can cast from a 6th level spell scroll just fine, without issues.

Additional scroll stuff:-
    I’ve houseruled that anyone could use a scroll, since 5E’s release, as a quality of life issue. It makes everything simpler, and allows for more equal loot distribution.

I also homebrew Kata sheets, magical, scroll like illustrations of combat movements a PC can use at the beginning of an Adventuring Day and trigger later to produce an effect, typically something reminiscent of a Battlemaster’s Maneuver.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I think in my haste I got on the wrong track,
    I jumped into a conversation, is rogue nessasary. Which I don't believe it is.
    But more going to is rogue fun/cool, which I would definitely say as a yes.

Alot of rogue conversation I have seen recently is claiming that rogue is not viable, which is what I am inclined to push against. Apologies for my jumping the gun.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    I’ve houseruled that anyone could use a scroll, since 5E’s release, as a quality of life issue. It makes everything simpler, and allows for more equal loot distribution.
    I let anyone use it, with an ability check (10+level) if it's not on your list, using Int for the ability if you don't have the spellcasting feature (so clerics would be Wis-based, fighters would still be Int-based).

I could probably be convinced fairly easily to just give it a blanket "anyone can use any scroll, no check required". Maybe then they'd actually use them! (Probably not)
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goobahfish View Post
    I think the main thing is however, that because there are so many encounters, martials begin to shine. I generally do at least 2-3 fights per short rest. That is not how I play TT. The combats in TT tend to skew deadly and few rather than numerous and easy.
    It's honestly kinda funny, because from what the devs have said and how the math works out, "numerous and easy" is what 5e was apparently balanced around. "We only do one big deadly fight per rest" is just the five-minute workday "problem" in a fancy new jacket. Not that I blame the people who don't want to waste their time on little fights that are just supposed to waste resources - D&D hasn't been designed in a way that makes that fun for almost 25 years, so...

If you look at games that actually do a good job of delivering the attrition-heavy style that 5e was supposedly balanced around, they're almost universally set up in a way where combat is incredibly fast to set-up and run, because who wants to waste 20+ minutes setting up a fight that the players burn through in 2 minutes (or, worse, skip entirely), or where a fight that's just there to burn some HP and healing takes 20+ minutes to run? We all have lives, dang it!

I'd actually be really interested in seeing a version of 3.x or 5e that didn't pay lip-service to attrition when balancing everything. I have a feeling that they'd look a lot like 4e...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Kitsune View Post
    The points have all been made, but one I didn't see, or maybe just missed over.

Have we covered Haste working BETTER than it's supposed to? Not the Caster casts twice but the Martials literally get double their attacks instead of just one extra?

Let's be clear, the thing that made me decide "wow, martials are broken" Was a battle against a full sized Red Dragon with 400 HP.

A level 12 Eldritch Knight had haste cast on them by the bard. BA Misty Step to the Dragon across the entire battlefield. With Action Surge made 6 attacks with a 23 Strength, Great Weapon Master and a GreatSword +3 that doubled my strength damage. So each swing hit for 2d6+25. You drop the second strongest monster in the game in 2 rounds...
    Interesting. I hadn't much luck against the dragon directly when I try. It's the end game anyway. I summon allies to distract the dragon and mooks and just run/misty step/dimension door towards the gate to confront the Absolute. I can handle the mindflayers in the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Kitsune View Post
    Let's be clear, the thing that made me decide "wow, martials are broken" Was a battle against a full sized Red Dragon with 400 HP.

A level 12 Eldritch Knight had haste cast on them by the bard. BA Misty Step to the Dragon across the entire battlefield. With Action Surge made 6 attacks with a 23 Strength, Great Weapon Master and a GreatSword +3 that doubled my strength damage. So each swing hit for 2d6+25. You drop the second strongest monster in the game in 2 rounds...
    Combine that with a Blades Bard 6+/Fighter 2+/X dual wielding hand crossbows with sharpshooter. You can have 8 attacks in one round at a minimum of +7 (likely with advantage, and easily +d8 with precision strike) doing 1d4+16 (at a minimum) force damage. And then an offhand attack in a similar ballpark.

There is a few pretty ridiculous martial builds in terms of damage output in BG3 (and yes I understand the irony of using a Bard multiclass, though their spells tend to be one of the least important aspects of a Blade Bard).

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    This is correct. Some features (Rage, Wild Shape) still prevent it but you don't need to be a spellcaster otherwise to use scrolls, and there's no 'scroll failure' check like in tabletop. First level fighter can cast from a 6th level spell scroll just fine, without issues.

Additional scroll stuff:-
    Yeah, in addition to much of the other stuff posted here, this makes a big difference.

On another note, as someone that champions the 5E Str character's jumping skillz, I find it funny that WotC's instinct for the 2024 rules was "make jump an Action", and Larian was like "how bout no?" and everyone is now praising how fun and cool jumping is in BG3.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    An awful lot of the game's traps can be conveniently bypassed without any check at all. Even were this not the case, it's pretty easy to make DC20-30 checks, no Rogue required.
    Moreover a dirty secret is that even when you do set off a trap in BG3, they're rarely that dangerous. I set off a few in Act 3 on the run where I had Gale doing my disarming that I mentioned, and it teneded to just result in a small burst of flame for 10-20 or so damage, which isn't a big deal at the levels you're at in Act 3. (This was on Tactician difficulty.)

Maybe setting some off in Act 1 when your health is so much lower would be much more hazardous, but that's when their DCs are mostly 10, so it doesn't take much to consistently to disarm them.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-02-12 at 04:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Moreover a dirty secret is that even when you do set off a trap in BG3, they're rarely that dangerous. I set off a few in Act 3 on the run where I had Gale doing my disarming that I mentioned, and it teneded to just result in a small burst of flame for 10-20 or so damage, which isn't a big deal at the levels you're at in Act 3. (This was on Tactician difficulty.)

Maybe setting some off in Act 1 when your health is so much lower would be much more hazardous, but that's when their DCs are mostly 10, so it doesn't take much to consistently to disarm them.
    Spoiler: traps I recall
    Show
    The withers dungeon has a trapped sarcophagus where touching it fills the room with slippery flammable Grease, and chucks fireballs around. This is capable of a party wipe. However, it's so early you almost certainly don't have a trap kit, so there's a button on the wall right next to the sarcophagus that turns everything off.

The hag dungeon has a Maze of roots you have to descend. There's clouds of flammable poison gas, with exploding fire flowers hidden inside. A single feather fall spell, which doesn't even take a slot since you're not in combat, let's even the weakest party members jump past all of that nonsense with no fall damage risk.

There's a guy surrounded by explosive barrels who sets them off if you approach without a password. This is not a trap mechanically so tools are useless. This happens again in the zhentarim dungeon behind him. That dungeon also has proximity mines which can be SoH'd...that are easily avoided and usually aren't turned on anyway.

The underdark has several areas with explosive mushrooms. These can't be disarmed and must be dealt with in other ways. There's also a Wizard tower with mechanized turrets. These can't be disarmed, only destroyed. Lame.

The monastery dungeon has disarmament traps but no matter how careful you are in getting close enough to disarm, there's a decent chance the disarm attempt will put you in the traps AoE, sending you hurtling into a death pit even if you successfully turn it off. After this, there's a trap that can't be conventionally disarmed- you either have the Amulet to stop it turning on in the first place, or you have to run for your life to get out of the blast zone.

That's all the trap-adjacent stuff I remember making me nervous in act 1 during my honor run. The other problem of course is that if you're going full try hard, even death is a speedbump as long as it doesn't party wipe. The game dumps revivify scrolls on you for free immediately. By the time you might be running out of them (if you took a lot of stupid risks), you're lvl 5 and can have three life cleric hirelings at camp hanging out, waiting to heal/rez you if the worst happens. This technically costs money, but you can pick withers pocket and he doesn't care, so even if you have -1 SoH you can just fish for a 20.

Traps early on are either a joke not worth worrying about, or have alternate solutions. Even if you take too many risks, the game drowns you in Healing options.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #71

BG3 martials are more effective than in 5e because:

- They all have diverse weapon maneuvers.
    - They all cast from scrolls (and other equipment too!).
    - They all brew potions, and can use them as bonus actions.
    - They all have better itemization than 5e, and also can switch between these abilities far more readily.
    - They all have access to bonus action movement that scales with Strength.
    - Thrown weapons are far better than in 5e, improved significantly in range, damage, accuracy, action economy, and quality of features that use it.
    - Tavern Brawler exists.
    - Shove is now a bonus action, and knocks people much farther than 5e (where it's just a lame 5 feet).
    - Strength is no longer a bad stat, and can reliably be boosted above 20.
    - Various buffs (like, say, Haste) benefit them considerably more than they used to.
    - Illithid powers exist.
    - BG3 reworked the initiative system. It now rolls a d4 instead of a d20, and this makes it very, very easy for, say, someone who maxxed Dex (as many martials do) to consistently win initiative, thus gaining an entire extra round of actions relative to Team Monster.
    - Hand Crossbows are more powerful than in 5e. They can bonus action attack without a feat, benefit from a shield, and so forth.
    - The high ground mechanic exists.
    - Cover no longer exists, nor does the ability to fall prone intentionally. Both of these things benefit throwers and other ranged attackers.
    - You can carry two sets of weaponry that you can switch between for free (including shields!)
    - All of the martial classes got considerable buffs somewhere in their class kit. For example the Eldritch Knight got a considerable upgrade to Weapon Bond that makes them one of the best throwers in the game (and throwing stuff is strong in BG3), and they got instant ritual casting, and they got some particularly useful spells turned into rituals. Thieves get two bonus actions. Open Hand Monks get real subclass features beyond level 3 now, and some extra ki. And so on and so forth.
    - Many old standby spells were nerfed or outright removed. Surfaces (and thus many control spells) don't stack, Fireball is far tinier, Sleet Storm got hosed, etc. (Note, even with these nerfs, properly-used spellcasters are still extremely strong in BG3, and while a lot of spellcaster stuff got nerfed, some got buffed, too -- including some things that really didn't need it. So while martials got lots of buffs, casters are still going strong too).
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-13 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added Shove to the list.
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

- BG3 reworked the initiative system. It now rolls a d4 instead of a d20, and this makes it very, very easy for, say, someone who maxxed Dex (as many martials do) to consistently win initiative, thus gaining an entire extra round of actions relative to Team Monster.
    I didn't realize this one, that would explain why my barbarian consistently goes first in combat (+3 initiative bonus means alot in that framework).
    -
    I do think melee combat is still kinda midling, GWM does deal good damage and it opens up athletics for death shoving but it doesn't really justify the higher level of danger to use.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

13. - Top - End - #73

I didn't realize this one, that would explain why my barbarian consistently goes first in combat (+3 initiative bonus means alot in that framework).
    Yeah. Initiative bonuses are strong in 5e, and they're even stronger in BG3.

I do think melee combat is still kinda midling, GWM does deal good damage and it opens up athletics for death shoving but it doesn't really justify the higher level of danger to use.
    Forget about GWM, Tavern Brawler is where it's at

opens up athletics for death shoving
    Speaking of which, that's yet another considerable buff in BG3. Shoves are now a bonus action and knock people much, much farther than in 5e (where it was just a pitiful 5 feet).
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-13 at 03:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Forget about GWM, Tavern Brawler is where it's at
    Tavern Brawler isn't much of a melee option though, its a ranged option you can trade safety and damage to use in melee.

Damage wise GWM isn't all that bad either (Tavern Brawler is better, definitely), bonus attack on kill/crit does alot of work generally and by the point in the game I am at the attack penalty is negligible (have started to get 99% accuracy with the -5 penalty on my barbarian). It is just the damage isn't really enough to justify the sacrifice in position, which is sort of the root of the issue.

15. - Top - End - #75

BG3 martials are also much better at interacting with the environment than 5e ones.

In tabletop, a typical Strength-based martial is just trudging around 30 feet or so. In BG3, they have bonus action jump that sends them soaring majestically across the map, potentially farther than their normal movement range. Who needs Cunning Action?

In tabletop, a shove is a full action that nudges a character 5 feet. In BG3, shove is a bonus action that can fling an enemy like they were hit by a freight train.

In tabletop, a character with 20 Strength can laboriously push a water barrel 5 feet in a round. In BG3, you can not only carry multiple water barrels around in your inventory, but you can also hurl them across the map and give enemies a full-blown Vulnerability (among other potent effects).
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-13 at 09:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

In tabletop, a character with 20 Strength can laboriously push a water barrel 5 feet in a round. In BG3, you can not only carry multiple water barrels around in your inventory, but you can also hurl them across the map and give enemies a full-blown Vulnerability (among other potent effects).
    Engage Donkey Kong Mode! https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...pjpg&auto=webp

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In tabletop, a typical Strength-based martial is just trudging around 30 feet or so. In BG3, they have bonus action jump that sends them soaring majestically across the map, potentially farther than their normal movement range. Who needs Cunning Action?
    Cunning action does not occasionally bounce off the ceiling into what your trying to avoid. Learned that the other day.

I can only imagine how bad it would be to have to spend ki on such things though.

--
    Stealth mechanics feel odd to me, better than tabletop but it did make for some weirdness. Pass Without Trace feels egregious to use because of how easy it is to get around.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

I recall having a knock down, drag out verbal bout with someone here about the single target damage potential of martials and how they could keep doing it a lot longer than Spellcasters had spells and was in general higher through multiple combats, and my verbal sparring partner swore until they were purple in the face that I was wrong, both in the white room and in actual play.

Well. Well, well, well.
    Last edited by prototype00; 2024-02-13 at 07:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by prototype00 View Post
    I recall having a knock down, drag out verbal bout with someone here about the single target damage potential of martials and how they could keep doing it a lot longer than Spellcasters had spells and was in general higher through multiple combats, and my verbal sparring partner swore until they were purple in the face that I was wrong, both in the white room and in actual play.

Well. Well, well, well.
    This is a bit drifting into another sketch, but generally martials are easier to plan around, and so the more powerful the martials in the party the less spells casters need to function over a larger time frame.

BG3 is a good example in places, because despite some throttling, casters generally 'feel' stronger in BG3, because they spend more time feeling powerful as opposed to draining resources trying to carry when the structure isn't well suited for that.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

BG3 martials are also much better at interacting with the environment than 5e ones.

Um, Aktchually, in BG3 you can't jump further than your movement speed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    It's honestly kinda funny, because from what the devs have said and how the math works out, "numerous and easy" is what 5e was apparently balanced around. "We only do one big deadly fight per rest" is just the five-minute workday "problem" in a fancy new jacket. Not that I blame the people who don't want to waste their time on little fights that are just supposed to waste resources - D&D hasn't been designed in a way that makes that fun for almost 25 years, so...

If you look at games that actually do a good job of delivering the attrition-heavy style that 5e was supposedly balanced around, they're almost universally set up in a way where combat is incredibly fast to set-up and run, because who wants to waste 20+ minutes setting up a fight that the players burn through in 2 minutes (or, worse, skip entirely), or where a fight that's just there to burn some HP and healing takes 20+ minutes to run? We all have lives, dang it!

I'd actually be really interested in seeing a version of 3.x or 5e that didn't pay lip-service to attrition when balancing everything. I have a feeling that they'd look a lot like 4e...
    My solution to the attrition thing (in an RPG I designed and play) is to have two kinds of health. Short rest get it back for free health and Long rest heals slowly health. It gives the 'feel' of being ground down without immediately prompting "I will do nothing until I rest!".

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Jump
    Costs a bonus action AND 3m (10ft) of your movement speed.
    Distance: 4.5m (15ft) + 1.5m (5ft) x Str mod.
    Str in BG3 caps at 24 in my experience.
    9m (30ft) at Str 16.
    12m (40ft) at Str 20.
    15m (50ft) at Str 24.

Since your movement speed is 9 m / 30 ft, you can jump further than your movement speed. However it only equals Cunning Action if you get Str 20. On the other hand this jump distance and your movement speed can both be buffed. So which is greater depends on your buffs.

Now Keltest you might be remembering Flying which is fly speed 18m/60ft using your movement speed at half cost.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2024-02-14 at 12:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by prototype00 View Post

Well. Well, well, well.
    Idk if the original argument was about 5e or BG3 specifically, but I can at least say that while martials have a lot of stuff making them more fun than usual 5e player, casters definitely aren't suffering. Even beyond the usual advantages of having a lot more options (even if the disparity has been addressed), there's a number of brainless "press button, do damage" builds available. Early-game, a berserker barbarian with the Tavern Brawler feat is going to be an enormous force to be reckoned with, and lategame there's basically nothing that can match a greatsword fighter long-term, but blastlocks are stronger than usual, and were already pretty strong. They keep up with the better melee builds pretty reliably.

Shoving is a great mechanic for martials to reshape the battlefield or just push foes off cliffs, but at least IME it's a bit less reliable than repelling blast. Idk if that impression is due to pushing multiple people with the same action, or an observance of how often it feels like people get pushed by one vs the other, or if it's because the warlock is always blasting, so they're always pushing, so it only feels like it's more reliable. But where martials have the option to spend actions on pushing if they want, warlocks have it baked in, and there's not exactly a lot of competition for invocation slots. Agonizing Blast and Hex makes their damage competitive for the most part, and Hex lasting all day by default means it's not really a resource consumption issue the way it normally is.

Then we get to items: there are a number of items scattered through the game that give a status called "Lightning Charge", which among other things adds a teeny bit of lightning damage to all your stuff (including spells and cantrips). Some of these items are early in Act 1, including a staff called Spellsparkler (although another source would be good cuz we want different staves later). Late in Act 1, there's an amulet that adds your casting stat to the damage of any cantrip that deals elemental damage...and lightning charges can cause this to proc on spells that don't normally deal such damage types. In Act 2 (difficult to call it late or early cuz you could do this basically last, or do this basically first, or miss it entirely) there is The Potent Robe, which adds Cha to cantrip damage, and gives you temp HP equal to Cha every turn forever. Early Act 3 there's a hat giving +2 Cha (max 22). Late Act 3, there's a pair of gloves that essentially give your attack spells a tradeoff of Atk -5/Dmg +1d8. Oh, and at some point late Act 2/early Act 3, you'll have the feats necessary to max out Cha and to take Dual Wielder, which allows you to apply to stack the magic benefits of two staves.

I'm doing all of this in a run with a friend of mine, and the DPR is extremely dependable, and competes with well-built fighters.

If there's a common forum argument I think BG3 soundly debunks, it's something I hear in various discussions about how to close gaps between tiers. There's a common refrain that the only real way the problem could be solved is to gut noncasters so completely that they don't feel like noncasters anymore. But I've never had that problem in BG3. The martial characters don't feel like casters, they just feel like people who live in a world of magic. They feel more themselves, with all these little upgrades and the abundance of magic items. My astarion was committing gas-based war crimes with hand crossbows. My laezel was one-rounding bosses with a stolen silver sword. My karlach stood on an anvil beneath a tarrasque-sized hammer and dared the enemy to engage her in melee. And when the hammer fell and rose for the third time, it wasn't the enemy still standing.

Weapons feel powerful, skills feel worked into the fabric of the world, martials feel fun. They're so much stronger that even if we extended things to 20th and they were losing the white room, they'd still be fun enough to play anyway, instead of feeling like a lode weighing the team down.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #84

Just booted up the game to check, and I was jumping over 100 feet (to an area of the same height) with a Fighter that had only 30 feet of movement speed.

So not only can you jump further than your movement speed, you can jump much further than your movement speed.

Movement range:

Jump range:

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Jump
    9m (30ft) at Str 16.
    12m (40ft) at Str 20.
    15m (50ft) at Str 24.

Since your movement speed is 9 m / 30 ft, you can jump further than your movement speed. However it only equals Cunning Action if you get Str 20. On the other hand this jump distance and your movement speed can both be buffed. So which is greater depends on your buffs.

Now Keltest you might be remembering Flying which is fly speed 18m/60ft using your movement speed at half cost.
    Yeah. Simply being a Strength-based character is sufficient to give you a farther-than-Cunning-Action BA dash. And then you can stack buffs on top of that really easily.

Not to mention bonus action shoving people like 20+ feet.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-14 at 01:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Jump
    9m (30ft) at Str 16.
    12m (40ft) at Str 20.
    15m (50ft) at Str 24.
    There is also the jump spell which tripples that, and is a ritual.

The only awkward thing is its a bonus action, if your not a barbarian skip this concern.
    --
    Imagine having to spend ki just to get beaten out by this.

I am Idly curious how monk does in this, it does feel like most of the pros in BG3 don't really work and I am not sure if they had any sprucing.

Rogue feels like it hasn't changed much: thief gets fun, but power I am not sure, AT getting rituals is good for the reasons everyone else has. Hiding is real easy as it can be done during more or less any combat.
    That being said, I am in crowd Rogue is middle of the road fine in tabletop, so it not being all that different in BG3 doesn't worry me much.
    Last edited by Witty Username; 2024-02-14 at 02:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

There is also the jump spell which tripples that, and is a ritual.

The only awkward thing is its a bonus action, if your not a barbarian skip this concern.
    --
    Imagine having to spend ki just to get beaten out by this.
    In BG3, Step of the Wind gives you a buffed dash and a buffed jump, for the same bonus action. They're fine

Step of the Wind in BG3 might as well read "be anywhere on the map you wanna be. Or the next map over."

I am Idly curious how monk does in this, it does feel like most of the pros in BG3 don't really work and I am not sure if they had any sprucing.
    Open Hand Monk gets...

- More ki.
    - Faster scaling martial arts die.
    - Monk weapons have less limitations.
    - +1d4+Wis damage added to attacks (on top of the faster scaling martial arts die, and better monk weapons)
    - Wholeness of Body now grants extra ki and actions, in addition to healing.
    - Stillness of Mind triggers automatically to prevent charm and fear.
    - A new feature called Ki Resonation that lets them use AoEs and such.
    - Flurry of blows no longer requires Attack to trigger.
    - Superior itemization.
    - Benefits from the initiative rework.
    - Always on passive that makes jump go even farther.
    - Always on passive that ignores difficult terrain.
    - Step of the Wind now gives you a buffed dash and a buffed Jump that does not require any extra bonus action.
    - Tavern Brawler greatly benefits them.

So yeah, they got buffed.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-14 at 03:00 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Superior itemization.
    Expanding on this. Scattered throughout the game are various glove-slot items that add extra damage dice of various damage types to unarmed attacks, with small side benefits as well. By the endgame, your monk can have a golf-bag of gloves, pulling out the right one for the occasion if you have the opportunity to see the coming fight and dress accordingly. This matters because every enemy in the game has personalized resistances/immunities/vulnerabilities as makes sense for them as a creature, and you can observe creatures to figure out what they're weakest against without it costing an action (although switching gloves does cost you an action, so best to do your observations from outside combat).

Additionally, there's some options that are just so good that you can leave them on indefinitely if you wish. The standout example is gloves you get after an optional late Act 3 fight (which is probably the hardest fight in the game?):

Gloves Of Soul Catching
    Legendary Gloves

Con +2 (max 20). Unarmed strikes +1d10 force damage. 1/turn when you hit with an unarmed strike, you can either heal yourself 10 HP, or grant yourself adv on all attacks/saves until the end of your next turn.
    And now, the slight caveat on monks, cuz they also got a bit of a nerf: your attacks no longer automatically count as magic at lvl 5. The reason monks get the most passive damage upgrades, and a whole rainbow of gloves adding extra damage types, is because if somebody is resistant to nonmagical bludgeoning, a magic hammer will bypass that but your fists will not. This is not an insurmountable problem, as there are early Act 3 gloves that allow all attacks (not just unarmed) to bypass physical damage resistances of any kind, but as you can see from the above, late-game glove slots especially for monk have heavy competition. Resistance to magic bludgeoning isn't all that common, especially early on, but as the game progresses enemies that are resistant to nonmagic weapon damage show up more frequently, and that can have a cooling effect.

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Correction, you can only jump equal to your movement speed in combat. Out of combat you can jump as far as your str allows.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Correction, you can only jump equal to your movement speed in combat. Out of combat you can jump as far as your str allows.
    I've regularly jumped farther than my speed in combat the rules for jumping don't change when you enter combat.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jumping and Tavern Brawler are strength based though aren't they?
    Strength would still be a 3rd stat for monk wouldn't it? So jumping not as far and Tavern Brawler not getting as much benefit.

Also the quick trip to the wiki got me the stillness of mind. Funnily enough they describe the change as a nerf, because any charm or frightened effect will cost an action even if it wasn't a concern for the situation.