New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Making a build around the third party "East Wind Style" (war of the burning sky)

Greetings fellow playgrounders, I'm hyped about joining a war of the burning sky campaign, which I've already played so I'll mostly be "coGM" rather than straight player.

Unlike last time I've played it, it's going to be using pathfinder.

While re-reading the player guide, I've got to wonder about East wind style, because it's seems much more usable within the scope of pathfinder.

prerequisite: able to cast shocking grasp spontaneously.

Benefits, I'm only listing those that are relevant to the discussion
    * can use charisma instead of wisdom for the monk AC bonus and the stunning fist DC --> kinda deprecated by the existence of scaled fist archetype, but still sensible if we want to use a different archetype for whatever reason, the master of many styles comes to mind as the top contender, to take ascetic form sans prerequisites due to the next tidbit
    * if you have the ki strike, you can spend an use of stunning fist to cast shocking grasp as a swift action --> this is well worth a feat! needs adjudication because as is common for third party (and sometimes first party), it's unclear in it's description: do you use your own slot or is the stunning fist the sole resource spent, what's the caster level, etcetera.

But even if we take the most conservative reading of the feat, and treat it as "quicken spell but only for shocking grasp", it's still pretty nifty.

So, thoughts? how would you build on it? my gut reaction woudl be to go either monk1 /sorcerer 19 or (master of many style) monk 1 / eldritch scion magus 19, for *two* shocking grasp a round, since we're ditching flurry for ascetic form and therefore cna spell combat as normal
    edit: I was overlooking the ki strike prerequisite, so at minimum it's going to be monk 4 / caster 16, or unchained monk 3 / caster 17

The other ribbon effects of the feat are:
    can multiclass between monk and sorcerer
    using stunning fist also deals 1d6 electric damage
    can't take earth descriptor spells as a sorcerer ( and by adaption, whatever other spontaneous caster you'd take )
    can take auran as a bonus language
    Last edited by ciopo; 2024-02-13 at 05:53 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Making a build around the third party "East Wind Style" (war of the burning sky)

For a frontliner? Definitely go with Eldritch Scion magus.

You can also use the spell Frigid Touch which is similar to Stunning Fist; the downside is that it staggers rather than stuns; the upside is no saving throw allowed.
    Instead of monk, you could consider a one-level dip in Oracle for cha-to-AC and to reflex saves; this also lets you take cha-to-knowledge checks (for a feat) and there's a general feat for cha-to-initiative and cha-to-mindaffecting-saves.
    Magus can also use spell combat with unarmed attacks so he doesn't need ascetic feats; and can enchant his fist (via arcane pool) with the Shocking and/or Shocking Burst enchantments.

Magus guide in my sig, as always.

(edit) Right, whoever wrote that feat seems to think that you cast Shocking Grasp as a swift and then touch with it as a standard action. But that's not how touch attacks work; by RAW, if you cast SG as a swift, you attack with it as a free action, and can then make a full attack, and you "hold the charge" on SG until it connects. Or you could cast SG again as a standard action (or as spell combat), and get another free attack for that. That makes the feat quite a bit better than intended.
    Since the prereq of the feat is that you can cast SG, it seems obvious that (when you swift cast) you use the spell slots and caster level that you already had.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2024-02-13 at 07:21 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!