New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Bard subclass: College of the Magician

Yeah, this is my second homebrew, after making an Imagination Knight subclass for the fighter.
    I think it's sort of balanced.
    Well, here we go:
    Bard subclass: College of the Magician

Bards of the College of the Magician use the spark of wonder that comes from an amazed crowd to fuel their magic abilities, rather than focusing on skill to do so. These bards draw the power of a crowd to become stronger and pursue fame and glory over most other things. They are amazing at captivating a crowd, so they use that to their advantage.

3rd .................................................. ..... Extra spell, Spirit of the Crowd
    6th............................................... ......... Extra Spell, Forced Wonderment
    14th.............................................. ........ Extra spell, Armor of the Crowd

When you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn an extra Enchantment or Illusion spell of a level you can cast. It counts as a bard spell, but it doesn’t count against your number of spells known. You gain another spell in a similiar fashion at 6th and 14th level.

SPIRIT OF THE CROWD
    At 3rd level, when you pick this bard college, you remove your Proficiency bonus, and instead add the number of creatures watching you, to your Spell Save DC’s and Attack Bonuses, to a maximum of your Bard level.

FORCED WONDERMENT
    At 6th level, you have learned to captivate an audience by forceful means. You can expend a use of Bardic Inspiration to instead force all creatures who can see you (but are not currently doing so) to make a Wisdom saving throw against your Save Spell DC. If they fail, they are forced to look at you for a number of minutes equal to your Bard level. You can leave out a number of creatures equal to your Charisma modifier plus your Proficiency modifier. If any of the affected creatures attempt to attack something that is not directly in their line of sight, they automatically fail, being unable to look away from you. If something is in their line of sight, but not directly in between the both of you, they have disadvantage to hit. If they attempt to attack something that is directly in between both of you, they have advantage to hit. You can end this effect at any time before the effect would normally end.
    ARMOR OF THE CROWD
    When you reach 14th level, you have learned to weave a protective barrier out of the awe of all those who watch you. You get an AC bonus equal to the number of creatures watching you, up to a maximum of your bard level.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by TheHalfAasimar; 2024-02-14 at 09:06 PM. Reason: forgot something again

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Bard subclass: College of the Magician

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    Yeah, this is my second homebrew, after making an Imagination Knight subclass for the fighter.
    I think it's sort of balanced.
    Well, here we go:
    Bard subclass: College of the Magician

Bards of the College of the Magician use the spark of wonder that comes from an amazed crowd to fuel their magic abilities, rather than focusing on skill to do so. These bards draw the power of a crowd to become stronger and pursue fame and glory over most other things. They are amazing at captivating a crowd, so they use that to their advantage.

3rd .................................................. ..... Extra spell, Spirit of the Crowd
    6th............................................... ......... Extra Spell, Forced Wonderment
    14th.............................................. ........ Extra spell, Armor of the Crowd

When you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn an extra Enchantment or Illusion spell of a level you can cast. It counts as a bard spell, but it doesn’t count against your number of spells known. You gain another spell in a similiar fashion at 6th and 14th level.

SPIRIT OF THE CROWD
    At 3rd level, when you pick this bard college, you remove your Proficiency bonus, and instead add the number of creatures watching you, to your Spell Save DC’s and Attack Bonuses, to a maximum of your Bard level.

FORCED WONDERMENT
    At 6th level, you have learned to captivate an audience by forceful means. You can expend a use of Bardic Inspiration to instead force all creatures who can see you (but are not currently doing so) to make a Wisdom saving throw against your Save Spell DC. If they fail, they are forced to look at you for a number of minutes equal to your Bard level. You can leave out a number of creatures equal to your Charisma modifier plus your Proficiency modifier. If any of the affected creatures attempt to attack something that is not directly in their line of sight, they automatically fail, being unable to look away from you. If something is in their line of sight, but not directly in between the both of you, they have disadvantage to hit. If they attempt to attack something that is directly in between both of you, they have advantage to hit. You can end this effect at any time before the effect would normally end.
    ARMOR OF THE CROWD
    When you reach 14th level, you have learned to weave a protective barrier out of the awe of all those who watch you. You get an AC bonus equal to the number of creatures watching you, up to a maximum of your bard level.

Thoughts?
    Extra Spell feels unneeded-Bards already get Magical Secrets, and they've got a good selection of Enchantments and Illusions.

Spirit Of The Crowd is picked up when proficiency bonus is +2. So if you have a four-person party, that's you plus three others, making your DCs one higher than normal. That's not BROKEN at level three, not by any means.
    But, let's check at level 11. I'll assume you have a Charisma of 20 by this point, and only four people (including you) in the party.
    One enemy gives you +4 to Spell DC, same as your proficiency at this level, for a total of 17.
    Three enemies gives you +6, same as Tier Four proficiency, for a total of 19.
    Five enemies gives you +8, for a DC 21 save.
    And, if you snag Conjure Animals with magical secrets, you can trade your Concentration and a 3rd level slot for +8 to your spell DC, for a total of (with the three party members) DC 24.
    This gets BETTER as you level. So yeah-this feature is entirely busted.

Forced Wonderment feels odd, since it kinda makes YOU the target, and Bards aren't tanky on their own. I get the purpose, but I don't think it's that good.

Armor Of The Crowd suffers the same issue as Spirit does.
    +3 AC from three party members is fine-18 Dexterity and Studded Leather gets you to 16, this takes you to 19. Pretty good! Though not overwhelming.
    But it scales the hardest when it's most disruptive-if you're attacked by a dozen goblins, you're suddenly AC 28 even without any allies. 31 with three allies.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Bard subclass: College of the Magician

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Extra Spell feels unneeded-Bards already get Magical Secrets, and they've got a good selection of Enchantments and Illusions.

Spirit Of The Crowd is picked up when proficiency bonus is +2. So if you have a four-person party, that's you plus three others, making your DCs one higher than normal. That's not BROKEN at level three, not by any means.
    But, let's check at level 11. I'll assume you have a Charisma of 20 by this point, and only four people (including you) in the party.
    One enemy gives you +4 to Spell DC, same as your proficiency at this level, for a total of 17.
    Three enemies gives you +6, same as Tier Four proficiency, for a total of 19.
    Five enemies gives you +8, for a DC 21 save.
    And, if you snag Conjure Animals with magical secrets, you can trade your Concentration and a 3rd level slot for +8 to your spell DC, for a total of (with the three party members) DC 24.
    This gets BETTER as you level. So yeah-this feature is entirely busted.

Forced Wonderment feels odd, since it kinda makes YOU the target, and Bards aren't tanky on their own. I get the purpose, but I don't think it's that good.

Armor Of The Crowd suffers the same issue as Spirit does.
    +3 AC from three party members is fine-18 Dexterity and Studded Leather gets you to 16, this takes you to 19. Pretty good! Though not overwhelming.
    But it scales the hardest when it's most disruptive-if you're attacked by a dozen goblins, you're suddenly AC 28 even without any allies. 31 with three allies.

So, are there any ways I should fix it? Like, tone it down to only half your Bard level?