New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Best support classes?

So, I've been wanting to make a support character (I've played a Bard and a Monk before) and I want to play another support, because making sure no one else dies is more important than doing the murdering.
    So here's what I know I do and don't want:
    Druid - I just want Circle of Dreams, but I don't want anything else. Just that. I like it because: Wide spell variety, good support, prepare spells rather than a hard limit of spells known.
    Wizard - I don't want a wizard. They can do a lot of things, but they just don't feel like support characters. So wizard's gone.
    Sorceror - I like Divine Soul, but they don't get enough spells, but I'm willing to forego that because they can easily have the most spell slots.
    Cleric - I would want either Life (to make sure no one dies) Light (to help do a bit of damage) and Forge (to buff things and people). I like the preparing spells.
    Paladin - Don't like the flavor of Paladin. Something about them doesn't seem very 'supporty' to me. But I like Oath of Redemption.
    Bard - I like how they have more spells, and can cast whatever they know, and the Magical Secrets feature helps a lot. And they're built for support! Unfortunately, they just don't have enough healing... and none of the subclasses appeal to me. I like Glamour. They're nice. They have good flavor. They are good support. I think.
    Ranger - I like the flavor, especially Drakewarden, but they don't have enough support options.
    Warlock - I like Archfey and Celestial, but well... neither of them are all that much of support.

So, any suggestions? I've narrowed it down to the following:
    Light Domain Cleric (PHB)
    Life domain Cleric (PHB)
    Forge domain Cleric (XgTE)
    Divine Soul Sorceror (XgTE)
    Celestial Warlock (XgTE)
    Archfey Warlock (PHB)
    Circle of Dreams Druid (XgTE)
    Glamour Bard (XgTE)

As you can tell, I own the core books, Xanathar's, and Fizban's. Any good recommendations I'm forgetting? I'm also a little broke to by Tasha's or something else...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best support classes?

I'm playing a Forge Cleric 1/ Lore Bard X, high Str and expertise in athletics with shield master. We got a bonus feat at 1st so I went simic hybrid for the grappling tentacles. Even if you use your hands to grapple and wield a shield, there are plenty of spells that only have verbal components: Vicious Mockery, Healing Word, Command, Dissonant Whispers, Silvery Barbs, Blindness/Deafness, Mass Healing Word, etc. I used a customized Ravnica background to get more options for what spells I could pick.

I'll typically spend my action to attack and replace it with a grapple, then bonus action shove the grappled target prone. Between cutting words, silvery barbs, and enlarge/reduce when needed, I'll typically win all those checks. Once I've got two or three enemies grappled and prone, I'll start throwing spells around. If it's a big encounter I'll open up with a hypnotic pattern or similar before I start grappling.

Try taking a different approach on healing. You've got access to healing word and mass healing word for picking up downed party members. Aid can also pick up three downed characters as it adds 5 hp to each target. If someone did go down and needs to heal up, take a short rest and use song of rest, and also get proficiency in cook's utensils to further bonus that.

Enemies that are rendered ineffective won't be causing your party to need healing. Enemies that you grapple can't get away and are more likely to attack you, with your high AC and at disadvantage for being prone. Pick up party-protecting spells with magical secrets, such as counterspell and sleet storm and web, or the versatile damage-sponge conjure animals. There are ways to get those outside of magical secrets, such as a Ravnica background or a mark of handling human. This is why I'll typically go college of lore over the others, even though eloquence has better features. Keep in mind that you can flavor anything any way you want to. You could flavor and play it the same regardless of which school you pick.

In hindsight, using order instead of forge would have been more optimal, especially if there's a rogue in the party. In any case, I've played a build like this twice now and the support I've provided has made otherwise difficult fights rather easy. I even once grappled and shoved prone a dragon just before it would have tried to flee, allowing us to kill it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Life cleric is good.
    Have you considered Artificer?
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Celestial Warlocks make fantastic support characters. Take Pact of the Tome and you can also be the all purpose ritual caster in the group.

Glamour Bard is also fantastic support. Don’t over look the support offered by their Mantel of Inspiration ability. At 3rd level that’s 45 temp hp per long rest. At 5th level it goes up to 32 temp hp per short rest. That isn’t including the potential tactical advantage of a reaction based move. Glamour bard can definitely keep a party on their feet.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Life cleric is good.
    Have you considered Artificer?
    Actually, I don't own Tasha's, so no. I own XgtE, the core books, the Tome of Beasts III (kobold press) and Fizban's Treasury of Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanmech View Post
    Celestial Warlocks make fantastic support characters. Take Pact of the Tome and you can also be the all purpose ritual caster in the group.

Glamour Bard is also fantastic support. Don’t over look the support offered by their Mantel of Inspiration ability. At 3rd level that’s 45 temp hp per long rest. At 5th level it goes up to 32 temp hp per short rest. That isn’t including the potential tactical advantage of a reaction based move. Glamour bard can definitely keep a party on their feet.
    OH WOW!

I think I'll play a glamour bard! Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Keep in mind that healing is only useful if it actually keeps the person up. If a teammate has 5 HP left and they can be expected to take 20 HP of damage on their next turn, it's wasteful to heal them for 10 HP. You need to either heal them for at least 16, or just wait till they go down to 0 and then get them back up.

Thus, you want either ways to get people up from 0 HP in combat (healing word is the gold standard for this); ways to heal people for a lot of HP in combat (the heal spell is the gold standard here); or ways to heal people out of combat (easier to find, but also less important since it's not immediate danger of death, and because you can also use potions and Hit Dice at these times.)

So, not all healing is actually helpful, and support is more than just healing. A Paladin does qualify as support IMO, since many highly damaging effects are based on saving throws which you can help your teammates pass via bless and your aura, and Lay on Hands and aura of vitality are good out-of-combat healing. (Lay on Hands is even usable in combat, if you really have to.)

If you do mean "effective healing" rather than more general "support", a super-healer might look something like Druid 1/Divine Soul Sorcerer 5/Life Cleric 1*, then go Sorcerer rest of the way. Goodberries are already great out-of-combat healing, because before taking a long rest, you convert any unused spellslots into healing that's usable the next day. Then the Life Cleric's Disciple of Life ability adds 2 + spell level HP to each of the many, many goodberries you'll be making. The Extended Spell metamagic can extend the duration of spells like aid and death ward so that you can similarly roll them over into the next day**, and can extend aura of vitality so it heals twice as much out of combat (on top of the Disciple of Life bonus for that spell too). And of course, as a Divine Soul Sorcerer, you can take all standard Cleric healing spells. You should also be able to at some point pick up the Inspiring Leader feat, which is an easy way to grant a lot of temporary HP.

(There are a couple of things to clear with your DM regarding this build. Although Sage Advice has stated that goodberry qualifies for Disciple of Life, that's a controversial ruling. It's also been argued, although I think the argument is clearly incorrect, that Divine Souls can't take aura of vitality because it's an "Additional Cleric Spell" and not really on the Cleric list. I don't see anything in the text stating that, but just make sure.)

* An even more elegant version of this build uses the Eberron Mark of Hospitality halfling, which apparently is not available to OP.
    ** There are ways to "stack" death ward even beyond this. I won't go into them here because I don't think most DMs will appreciate them, even if they are RAW.
    Last edited by meandean; 2024-02-16 at 03:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by meandean View Post
    Keep in mind that healing is only useful if it actually keeps the person up. If a teammate has 5 HP left and they can be expected to take 20 HP of damage on their next turn, there's no point in healing them for 10 HP. You need to either heal them for at least 16, or just wait till they go down to 0 and then get them back up.

Thus, you want either ways to get people up from 0 HP in combat (healing word is the gold standard for this); ways to heal people for a lot of HP in combat (the heal spell is the gold standard here); or ways to heal people out of combat (easier to find, but also less important since potions and Hit Dice can also do this.)

A Paladin does qualify IMO, since many highly damaging effects are based on saving throws which you can help your teammates pass via bless and your aura, and Lay on Hands and aura of vitality are good out-of-combat healing. (Lay on Hands is even usable in combat, if you really have to.)

If you do mean "effective healing" rather than more general "support", a super-healer might look something like Druid 1/Divine Soul Sorcerer 5/Life Cleric 1*, then go Sorcerer rest of the way. Goodberries are already great out-of-combat healing, because before taking a long rest, you convert any unused spellslots into healing that's usable the next day. Then the Life Cleric's Disciple of Life ability adds 2 + spell level HP to each of the many, many goodberries you'll be making. The Extended Spell metamagic can extend the duration of spells like aid and death ward so that you can similarly roll them over into the next day, and can extend aura of vitality so it heals twice as much out of combat. And of course, as a Divine Soul Sorcerer, you can take all standard Cleric healing spells. You should also be able to at some point pick up the Inspiring Leader feat, which is an easy way to grant a lot of temporary HP.

(There are a couple of things to clear with your DM regarding this build. Although Sage Advice has stated that goodberry qualifies for Disciple of Life, that's a controversial ruling. It's also been argued, although I think the argument is clearly incorrect, that Divine Souls can't take aura of vitality because it's an "Additional Cleric Spell" and not really on the Cleric list. I don't see anything in the text stating that, but just make sure.)

* An even more elegant version of this build uses the Eberron Mark of Hospitality halfling, which apparently is not available to OP.
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the advice! (Maybe I should have gotten Eberron: Rising from the Last War at Barnes and Nobles instead of the Tome of Beasts III)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Cleric - I would want either Life (to make sure no one dies) Light (to help do a bit of damage) and Forge (to buff things and people). I like the preparing spells.
    Any Cleric of any domain works well as a support caster. And a support-focused Cleric would benefit quite a bit from the Ritual Caster Wizard feat, for access to a ton of utility spellcasting.

Inspiring Leader is also a great support feat, if you can swing at least a 14ish CHA score.

Bard - I like how they have more spells, and can cast whatever they know, and the Magical Secrets feature helps a lot. And they're built for support! Unfortunately, they just don't have enough healing...
    A single level of Life Cleric is a great way to boost a Bard's healing, plus it gets you armor and shield proficiency and access to additional 1st level non-Bard buffs like Bless and Protection from Evil. Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X makes for a fantastic support build, able to grab all of the best healing and support spells from the Cleric and Bard lists via either normal class access or Magical Secrets, plus boost all their healing spells with the Life domain ability.

Inspiring Leader works great with a Bard support build too, since you're already investing in CHA.

Life Cleric 1/Glamour Bard X could work similarly, just with a few less Magical Secrets options, and understanding that the Temp HP from Inspiring Leader won't stack with those from Mantle of Inspiration.

Warlock - I like Archfey and Celestial, but well... neither of them are all that much of support.
    Celestial Tome Warlock is a solid support option. With the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation, you have access to all of the ritual spells from any class. With the Gift of the Protectors invocation, you can prevent an ally from dropping to 0 HP. And the Celestial patron gets you access to Lesser/Greater Restoration and Revivify, plus a free pool of Bonus Action healing that's even better than Healing Word, as well as eventually frequent Temp HP similar to the Inspiring Leader feat. (Or you can double-dip to take Inspiring Leader too, to be able to generate twice as much Temp HP between rests.)

I played a Celestial Tomelock in a campaign where I was the only healer/support character, and it worked just fine.
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2024-02-15 at 08:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    So, I've been wanting to make a support character (I've played a Bard and a Monk before) and I want to play another support, because making sure no one else dies is more important than doing the murdering.
    So here's what I know I do and don't want:
    Druid - I just want Circle of Dreams, but I don't want anything else. Just that. I like it because: Wide spell variety, good support, prepare spells rather than a hard limit of spells known.
    Wizard - I don't want a wizard. They can do a lot of things, but they just don't feel like support characters. So wizard's gone.
    Sorceror - I like Divine Soul, but they don't get enough spells, but I'm willing to forego that because they can easily have the most spell slots.
    Paladin - Don't like the flavor of Paladin. Something about them doesn't seem very 'supporty' to me. But I like Oath of Redemption.
    Bard - I like how they have more spells, and can cast whatever they know, and the Magical Secrets feature helps a lot. And they're built for support! Unfortunately, they just don't have enough healing... and none of the subclasses appeal to me. I like Glamour. They're nice. They have good flavor. They are good support. I think.
    Ranger - I like the flavor, especially Drakewarden, but they don't have enough support options.

Life domain Cleric (PHB)
    Celestial Warlock (XgTE)
    Archfey Warlock (PHB)
    Glamour Bard (XgTE)

As you can tell, I own the core books, Xanathar's, and Fizban's. Any good recommendations I'm forgetting? I'm also a little broke to by Tasha's or something else...
    Life Domain Cleric X / Mastermind Rogue 3 (or more)

Action: Help
    Bonus Action: Help Action

You also get access to spells.

You also get access to Expertise, so, pick Athletics so you can shove people around better. A 12 or 14 Str would've more than enough for that.

You don't need high stats for this build so you can be stretch a bit thin. Take normal or variant human and get a 13 Cha and take Actor as a feat. Athletics comes from human

Background? Get deception and performance. Get disguise kit prof.

Keep disguises of your allies handy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

OH WOW!

I think I'll play a glamour bard! Thanks!
    Go for it, they're fantastic at their job.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-16 at 09:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    Any Cleric of any domain works well as a support caster. And a support-focused Cleric would benefit quite a bit from the Ritual Caster Wizard feat, for access to a ton of utility spellcasting.

Inspiring Leader is also a great support feat, if you can swing at least a 14ish CHA score.

A single level of Life Cleric is a great way to boost a Bard's healing, plus it gets you armor and shield proficiency and access to additional 1st level non-Bard buffs like Bless and Protection from Evil. Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X makes for a fantastic support build, able to grab all of the best healing and support spells from the Cleric and Bard lists via either normal class access or Magical Secrets, plus boost all their healing spells with the Life domain ability.

Inspiring Leader works great with a Bard support build too, since you're already investing in CHA.

Life Cleric 1/Glamour Bard X could work similarly, just with a few less Magical Secrets options, and understanding that the Temp HP from Inspiring Leader won't stack with those from Mantle of Inspiration.

Celestial Tome Warlock is a solid support option. With the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation, you have access to all of the ritual spells from any class. With the Gift of the Protectors invocation, you can prevent an ally from dropping to 0 HP. And the Celestial patron gets you access to Lesser/Greater Restoration and Revivify, plus a free pool of Bonus Action healing that's even better than Healing Word, as well as eventually frequent Temp HP similar to the Inspiring Leader feat. (Or you can double-dip to take Inspiring Leader too, to be able to generate twice as much Temp HP between rests.)

I played a Celestial Tomelock in a campaign where I was the only healer/support character, and it worked just fine.
    Oh wow, I'll look at that! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflayer_Inc View Post
    Life Domain Cleric X / Mastermind Rogue 3 (or more)

Action: Help
    Bonus Action: Help Action

You also get access to spells.

You also get access to Expertise, so, pick Athletics so you can shove people around better. A 12 or 14 Str would've more than enough for that.

You don't need high stats for this build so you can be stretch a bit thin. Take normal or variant human and get a 13 Cha and take Actor as a feat. Athletics comes from human

Background? Get deception and performance. Get disguise kit prof.

Keep disguises of your allies handy.
    Wow, that's pretty good! That's another kind of support from 'make sure no one dies' but it's pretty good! I'll look at that, too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Go for it, they're fantastic at their job.
    About that... I was leafing through Xanathar's when I noticed the Grave Domain cleric was CRAZY at healing and keeping people from being dead, while College of Glamour is better at making everyone better at murdering things. So I'll consider that. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #12

About that... I was leafing through Xanathar's when I noticed the Grave Domain cleric was CRAZY at healing and keeping people from being dead, while College of Glamour is better at making everyone better at murdering things. So I'll consider that. Thanks!
    I think you might be overestimating Grave. It's a good deal worse at healing than Life Cleric. And if you want to see something that is truly worthy of being deemed 'crazy,' look at Peace and Twilight.

So, why isn't Grave all that impressive? Well, because...
    - Its heal boost only activates if a PC is already at zero HP.
    - Even when it does activate, all it does is maximize the dice. On what? Not Heal or Mass Heal or Goodberry; those don't roll dice. On Life Transference? Doesn't really work. On Healing Word? You'd have to upcast the Healing Word to a 5th level slot before maximize heals slightly more than the Life Cleric's 24/7 bonus -- 7.5 vs 7 extra healing. On Cure Wounds? Again you need to upcast more than you should in order to get even minor value, and you'll have to get within touch range of someone who just went down instead of using better spells for the job. On Aura of Vitality? You'd get +5 average healing on that yo-yo, while the Life Cleric will get +5 on every proc.

And I'm not even including the Life Cleric's level 6 ability in these comparisons!

The Life Cleric's healing boost applies constantly, in and out of combat, on any healing, including multi-round stuff (like Aura of Vitality and Regenerate) and multi-target healing spells (which are actually solid for them). Not to mention that Life Cleric can do bonus action spells in the same turn they use their Channel Divinity for yet more healing.

Ah but what about Grave's ability to negate crits? Well, it takes a Reaction can only happen Wis times a day, so even if the enemy is getting particularly lucky with the crits today, it's pretty capped in terms of how much punishment it can actually absorb in practice. For example, let's say we're fighting, oh, a CR24 Ancient Red Dragon. Even then, their crits are only doing like 7-11 extra damage. You can only absorb 5 of these, and over a course of 5 separate turns.

It's an alright ability but it doesn't really keep up with the support other Clerics can offer, IMHO. Certainly not the combos you can do with Life or the like.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-16 at 11:04 AM.
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

13. - Top - End - #13

There nothing *wrong* with the grave cleric but it's lacking IMO and missed the mark.

Spell list is okay but it's also very redundant to what the cleric gets anyway and unlike life domain they aren't spells you would have picked most days anyways. Blight id ok but also kinda a weird fit for the domain.

The circle of mortality looks great but it pales in comparison to life's raw healing and the bonus action spare the dying is odd. Maybe if your table doesn't attack downed targets it might be ok but why not just heal them?

Eye to grave is fun but undead behind cover For the ones you are worried about and since it doesn't give you any useful info it's kinda niche for finding undead that are concealed by darkness, fog, invisibility.

The channel can be useful if you have a few big swingers in the party who can take advantage of it but it has to be worth your own actions. If you have a death cleric in the party it's nasty.

Sentinel at deaths door is probably the best support option you have and seeing how clerics don't have a lot of reaction options it's a nice addition.

Potent is potent

Keeper of souls is weird seeing how it's based on enemies HD and that is really random sometimes and at most you might heal in the low 30s but the big enemy is down the allure of that healing is kinda too late to matter at this level. It's a "free action" at least.

*Ninjaed by Ludic again*
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2024-02-16 at 10:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh wow, I'll look at that! Thanks!

Wow, that's pretty good! That's another kind of support from 'make sure no one dies' but it's pretty good! I'll look at that, too. Thanks!

Fun fact, there's really not anything stopping you from shoving your allies (DM may still make them roll against you though). Forced Movement doesn't provoke.

Need to get the wizard out of harm's way?

Shove them.

Even with a +1 mod, your expertise will do the trick. Especially once you get Reliable Talent (+8 from prof alone, minimum roll is 10, so 19+).

Additionally, if you get a high enough str score (or magic item) you can just bonus action disengage, grapple an ally, and run off with them.

Yes, I've found this to be a lifesaver. I've also carried allies away while casting bonus action spells.

Dressing up like your allies can give you advantage (not mechanic tho maybe) as if you can break line of sight the enemy won't know which of you is which PC. Just uh, if you're a halfling you better have a great roll when trying to disguise yourself as your Goliath ally...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Twilight clerics are OP. Since you don't have Tashas, see below. BLUF: 300' darkvision, ADV on initiative, channel divinity persistent AOE temp hp or uncharm/unfrighten spam, flight. Crazy good.

Twilight Domain Spells
    Cleric Level Spells
    1st Faerie Fire, Sleep
    3rd Moonbeam, See Invisibility
    5th Aura of Vitality, Leomund's Tiny Hut
    7th Aura of Life, Greater Invisibility
    9th Circle of Power, Mislead

Bonus Proficiencies
    At 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor.

Eyes of Night
    Starting at 1st level, you can see through the deepest gloom. You have darkvision out to a range of 300 feet. In that radius, you can see in dim light as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

As an action, you can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures you can see within 10 feet of you, up to a number of creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once you share it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a spell slot of any level to share it again.

Vigilant Blessing
    At 1st level, the night has taught you to be vigilant. As an action, you give one creature you touch (including possibly yourself) advantage on the next initiative roll the creature makes. This benefit ends immediately after the roll or if you use this feature again.

Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary
    At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to refresh your allies with soothing twilight.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light. The sphere moves with you, and it lasts for 1 minute or until you are incapacitated or die. Whenever a creature (including you) ends its turn in the sphere, you can grant that creature one of these benefits:

You grant it temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level.
    You end one effect on it causing it to be charmed or frightened.

Steps of Night
    Starting at 6th level, you can draw on the mystical power of night to rise into the air. As a bonus action when you are in dim light or darkness, you can magically give yourself a flying speed equal to your walking speed for 1 minute. You can use this bonus action a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Also Nature Clerics are great and I've really enjoyed playing an Aasimar life cleric 1 / celestial warlock X w/ inspiring leader.

16. - Top - End - #16

Life domain Cleric (PHB)
    Celestial Warlock (XgTE)
    Archfey Warlock (PHB)
    Glamour Bard (XgTE)

Those are all fine classes. Of the subclasses, I'd rate Light and Life above Forge, and Celestial above Archfey.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    I think you might be overestimating Grave. It's a good deal worse at healing than Life Cleric. And if you want to see something that is truly worthy of being deemed 'crazy,' look at Peace and Twilight.

So, why isn't Grave all that impressive? Well, because...
    - Its heal boost only activates if a PC is already at zero HP.
    - Even when it does activate, all it does is maximize the dice. On what? Not Heal or Mass Heal or Goodberry; those don't roll dice. On Life Transference? Doesn't really work. On Healing Word? You'd have to upcast the Healing Word to a 5th level slot before maximize heals slightly more than the Life Cleric's 24/7 bonus -- 7.5 vs 7 extra healing. On Cure Wounds? Again you need to upcast more than you should in order to get even minor value, and you'll have to get within touch range of someone who just went down instead of using better spells for the job. On Aura of Vitality? You'd get +5 average healing on that yo-yo, while the Life Cleric will get +5 on every proc.

And I'm not even including the Life Cleric's level 6 ability in these comparisons!

The Life Cleric's healing boost applies constantly, in and out of combat, on any healing, including multi-round stuff (like Aura of Vitality and Regenerate) and multi-target healing spells (which are actually solid for them). Not to mention that Life Cleric can do bonus action spells in the same turn they use their Channel Divinity for yet more healing.

Ah but what about Grave's ability to negate crits? Well, it takes a Reaction can only happen Wis times a day, so even if the enemy is getting particularly lucky with the crits today, it's pretty capped in terms of how much punishment it can actually absorb in practice. For example, let's say we're fighting, oh, a CR24 Ancient Red Dragon. Even then, their crits are only doing like 7-11 extra damage. You can only absorb 5 of these, and over a course of 5 separate turns.

It's an alright ability but it doesn't really keep up with the support other Clerics can offer, IMHO. Certainly not the combos you can do with Life or the like.
    Ahh, I see! Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    There nothing *wrong* with the grave cleric but it's lacking IMO and missed the mark.

Spell list is okay but it's also very redundant to what the cleric gets anyway and unlike life domain they aren't spells you would have picked most days anyways. Blight id ok but also kinda a weird fit for the domain.

The circle of mortality looks great but it pales in comparison to life's raw healing and the bonus action spare the dying is odd. Maybe if your table doesn't attack downed targets it might be ok but why not just heal them?

Eye to grave is fun but undead behind cover For the ones you are worried about and since it doesn't give you any useful info it's kinda niche for finding undead that are concealed by darkness, fog, invisibility.

The channel can be useful if you have a few big swingers in the party who can take advantage of it but it has to be worth your own actions. If you have a death cleric in the party it's nasty.

Sentinel at deaths door is probably the best support option you have and seeing how clerics don't have a lot of reaction options it's a nice addition.

Potent is potent

Keeper of souls is weird seeing how it's based on enemies HD and that is really random sometimes and at most you might heal in the low 30s but the big enemy is down the allure of that healing is kinda too late to matter at this level. It's a "free action" at least.

*Ninjaed by Ludic again*
    Hm... makes sense. Thanks!

Fun fact, there's really not anything stopping you from shoving your allies (DM may still make them roll against you though). Forced Movement doesn't provoke.

Need to get the wizard out of harm's way?

Shove them.

Even with a +1 mod, your expertise will do the trick. Especially once you get Reliable Talent (+8 from prof alone, minimum roll is 10, so 19+).

Additionally, if you get a high enough str score (or magic item) you can just bonus action disengage, grapple an ally, and run off with them.

Yes, I've found this to be a lifesaver. I've also carried allies away while casting bonus action spells.

Dressing up like your allies can give you advantage (not mechanic tho maybe) as if you can break line of sight the enemy won't know which of you is which PC. Just uh, if you're a halfling you better have a great roll when trying to disguise yourself as your Goliath ally...
    Oh wow... Y'know, that sounds like a really good ability. I'll try to find a way to implement it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Twilight clerics are OP. Since you don't have Tashas, see below. BLUF: 300' darkvision, ADV on initiative, channel divinity persistent AOE temp hp or uncharm/unfrighten spam, flight. Crazy good.

Twilight Domain Spells
    Cleric Level Spells
    1st Faerie Fire, Sleep
    3rd Moonbeam, See Invisibility
    5th Aura of Vitality, Leomund's Tiny Hut
    7th Aura of Life, Greater Invisibility
    9th Circle of Power, Mislead

Bonus Proficiencies
    At 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor.

Eyes of Night
    Starting at 1st level, you can see through the deepest gloom. You have darkvision out to a range of 300 feet. In that radius, you can see in dim light as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

As an action, you can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures you can see within 10 feet of you, up to a number of creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once you share it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a spell slot of any level to share it again.

Vigilant Blessing
    At 1st level, the night has taught you to be vigilant. As an action, you give one creature you touch (including possibly yourself) advantage on the next initiative roll the creature makes. This benefit ends immediately after the roll or if you use this feature again.

Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary
    At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to refresh your allies with soothing twilight.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light. The sphere moves with you, and it lasts for 1 minute or until you are incapacitated or die. Whenever a creature (including you) ends its turn in the sphere, you can grant that creature one of these benefits:

You grant it temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level.
    You end one effect on it causing it to be charmed or frightened.

Steps of Night
    Starting at 6th level, you can draw on the mystical power of night to rise into the air. As a bonus action when you are in dim light or darkness, you can magically give yourself a flying speed equal to your walking speed for 1 minute. You can use this bonus action a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Also Nature Clerics are great and I've really enjoyed playing an Aasimar life cleric 1 / celestial warlock X w/ inspiring leader.
    Good heavens, that's a lot. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Life domain Cleric (PHB)
    Celestial Warlock (XgTE)
    Archfey Warlock (PHB)
    Glamour Bard (XgTE)
    I have played:
    Life Domain Cleric. Multiple characters. Excellent support
    Celestial Warlock. Multiple characters. Excellent Support. Besides her healing ability at level 1, she gets to offer Temp HP equal to half of her level Plus Cha mod every short or long rest at level 10. Handy.
    Lore Bard. (1-20). She was excellent support (If you get the Inspiring Leader feat, the temp HP offsets some damage)
    She healed well enough.
    When she got high enough level, she took Heroes Feast. That's a great support spell for an entire party.
    I found that using Cutting Words to either prevent a hit, or to reduce damage, became a very common use for my bardic inspiration in Tier 2.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-02-17 at 12:07 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

It's rather dependent on a somewhat loose definition of "support", but a Strength-based (Mastermind or Thief) Rogue with decent Charisma, Inspiring Leader and Healer (and at your option a dip into something that'll give you Medium and/or Heavy armour proficiency) can function as quite admirable support for a party. Bonus Action Help (Mastermind) or Equipment/Terrain use (Thief), temp HP on short rests and yo-yo healing that's only limited by how many Healing Kits you can afford, on top of remarkable (aka Uncanny) durability and/or aggro draw, grapple-tastic action for control, the flexibility and speed to be where and when you need to be and consistently decent damage output...all without having to count spell slots, daily uses or other limted resource.

It mighy be light on the healing factor, but a Rogue played with a little imagination can very much be a support character.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

If you're interested in Tasha's on the cheap, look for it at used book stores. AbeBooks.com has it for $16.50.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    It's rather dependent on a somewhat loose definition of "support", but a Strength-based (Mastermind or Thief) Rogue with decent Charisma, Inspiring Leader and Healer (and at your option a dip into something that'll give you Medium and/or Heavy armour proficiency) can function as quite admirable support for a party. Bonus Action Help (Mastermind) or Equipment/Terrain use (Thief), temp HP on short rests and yo-yo healing that's only limited by how many Healing Kits you can afford, on top of remarkable (aka Uncanny) durability and/or aggro draw, grapple-tastic action for control, the flexibility and speed to be where and when you need to be and consistently decent damage output...all without having to count spell slots, daily uses or other limted resource.

It mighy be light on the healing factor, but a Rogue played with a little imagination can very much be a support character.
    Strogue is so dang good and has so many build options.

I like it with Cleric but really you can mix Rogue/Strogue with any other class and make an awesome character. I think the only class that doesn't really mix well is Ranger, but the 5e Ranger is well the 5e Ranger. You can do it, sure, but like anything else would be better.

Rogue/Druid is another particularly nasty combo.

Spoiler: Totally objective and in no way subjective hot take
    Show

The Rogue and Fighter should be one class.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

I like it with Cleric but really you can mix Rogue/Strogue with any other class and make an awesome character. I think the only class that doesn't really mix well is Ranger, but the 5e Ranger is well the 5e Ranger. You can do it, sure, but like anything else would be better.

Show

I actually think Rogue/Ranger is a particularly strong combination. Ranger offers medium armour (essential for a StRogue) and Horde Breaker (as a Hunter), which is a resourceless additional attack, though situational, to trigger Sneak Attack, either doubling down on dual wield or allowing for whip&shield (the low base damage more than made up for by SA's additional damage). In addition, Entangling Strike is a solid control option and Longstrider has its effect multiplied by Cunning Action (Dash), doubly so if taking the Mobile Feat. That's not even delving into any of the real cheese available to the multiclass.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

If you want to shove people around as a caster, you might as well take the Telekinetic feat:
    • +1 to your casting stat.
    • Casters usually don't have a "go-to" option for their bonus action, so you'll use it plenty.
    • You can remain a good amount (30') away from the combatants, which is where a caster wants to be.
    • Telekinetic doesn't require any investment in Strength, which a caster otherwise doesn't need. Nor does it require taking the Athletics skill, when there are other skills you probably want more (Perception/Stealth of course, Arcana so you can make spell scrolls, and then whatever your casting stat will let you be really good at).
    • If you're using Telekinetic to bail out a teammate, you don't have to have a debate about whether saving throws can be voluntarily failed; it just works. If you're using it to move an opponent, it'll likely be a better DC, because of the aforementioned fact that it's based on the stat you're pumping and not on one you otherwise don't use. (And you'll also have that better DC when you try to do things like shove your opponent into a damaging area of effect spell.)
    Last edited by meandean; 2024-02-16 at 04:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I actually think Rogue/Ranger is a particularly strong combination. Ranger offers medium armour (essential for a StRogue) and Horde Breaker (as a Hunter), which is a resourceless additional attack, though situational, to trigger Sneak Attack, either doubling down on dual wield or allowing for whip&shield (the low base damage more than made up for by SA's additional damage). In addition, Entangling Strike is a solid control option and Longstrider has its effect multiplied by Cunning Action (Dash), doubly so if taking the Mobile Feat. That's not even delving into any of the real cheese available to the multiclass.
    Anything the ranger gives you, you can do better with the Fighter (especially subclass).

You won't have enough spell slots to really get enough use out of Ranger. If you keep going ranger you don't get the goodies of the rogue.

Ranger also gives you, essentially, a dead level at Ranger 1.

Rogue/Fighter is just better.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I have played:
    Life Domain Cleric. Multiple characters. Excellent support
    Celestial Warlock. Multiple characters. Excellent Support Besides her healing ability at level 10, she gets to offer Temp HP equal to half of her level Plus Cha mod every short or long rest. Handy.
    Lore Bard. (1-20). She was excellent support (If you get the Inspiring Leader feat, the temp HP offsets some damage)
    She healed well enough.
    When she got high enough level, she took Heroes Feast. That's a great support spell for an entire party.
    I found that using Cutting Words to either prevent a hit, or to reduce damage, became a very common use for my bardic inspiration in Tier 2.
    Hm, thanks for the advice! I'll keep that in mind.

Oh wow, that's great! I like how Rogues have both Uncanny Dodge and Evasion, because it helps out surviving. And that is some really cool stuff! I think I'll try that out.

Show

Hm, thanks for that! I've been thinking of making a LE life domain/rogue who basically has three rules: Draw no blood (unnecessarily) basically, they don't kill people willy-nilly. They like torture. Leave no trace. Arouse no suspicion. So yeah, thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by meandean View Post
    If you want to shove people around as a caster, you might as well take the Telekinetic feat:
    • +1 to your casting stat.
    • Casters usually don't have a "go-to" option for their bonus action, so you'll use it plenty.
    • You can remain a good amount (30') away from the combatants, which is where a caster wants to be.
    • Telekinetic doesn't require any investment in Strength, which a caster otherwise doesn't need. Nor does it require taking the Athletics skill, when there are other skills you probably want more (Perception/Stealth of course, Arcana so you can make scrolls, and then whatever your casting stat will let you be really good at).
    • If you're using Telekinetic to bail out a teammate, you don't have to have a debate about whether saving throws can be voluntarily failed; it just works. If you're using it to move an opponent, it'll likely be a better DC, because of the aforementioned fact that it's based on the stat you're pumping and not on one you otherwise don't use. (And you'll also have that better DC when you try to do things like shove your opponent into a damaging area of effect spell.)
    OH BOY THAT'S GREAT! I can now just imagine a bard just shoving people around and stuff! Then that becomes a very battlefield control, which is another thing I'd like to play.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Anything the ranger gives you, you can do better with the Fighter (especially subclass).

You won't have enough spell slots to really get enough use out of Ranger. If you keep going ranger you don't get the goodies of the rogue.

Ranger also gives you, essentially, a dead level at Ranger 1.

Rogue/Fighter is just better.
    Looking at Ranger 3 vs Fighter 3, the latter offers bigger burst with Action Surge and Battle Master manoeuvers, but Ranger leans further into sustainable benefits (less per rest resource as a rule and the spells that they have, can have long duration) and particularly in support, especially if you're willing to devote more tham a 3 level dip.

Fighter has better arena-style white room potential, but I reckon Ranger to be the better support/longevity backup or adventuring applicability, particularly as it pertains to a Rogue multiclass.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Looking at Ranger 3 vs Fighter 3, the latter offers bigger burst with Action Surge and Battle Master manoeuvers, but Ranger leans further into sustainable benefits (less per rest resource as a rule and the spells that they have, can have long duration) and particularly in support, especially if you're willing to devote more tham a 3 level dip.

Fighter has better arena-style white room potential, but I reckon Ranger to be the better support/longevity backup or adventuring applicability, particularly as it pertains to a Rogue multiclass.
    I see. A little off-topic, but I've wanted to play a Drakewarden Ranger ever since I got Fizban's! Rangers, Paladins, and Fighters all seem pretty similar on the surface, but they all serve a very different purposes. Paladins are definitely DPS, rangers are good at finding things and nature stuff, and Fighters can serve a lot of different roles, whether it's (minor) spellcasting, (mild) support, (crap) archery, or (actually very good) HAHA I SMACK YOU 11 SINGLE TIMES IN SIX SECONDS. If you play a fighter, there's a subclass for basically everything a fighter could ever want.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The issue is that Ranger just doesn't do anything particularly well that you can't get other places.

If you want the support nature-ish spells, go Druid.

The nonmagical side of ranger, for support, is Natural Explorer and Favored Enemy, both which are rather lackluster (just take Expertise Survival/Nature if you want that to be your thing).

Ranger is just, bad, all around.

It's not about white room or not. The ranger class just isn't even finished.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The issue is that Ranger just doesn't do anything particularly well that you can't get other places.

If you want the support nature-ish spells, go Druid.

The nonmagical side of ranger, for support, is Natural Explorer and Favored Enemy, both which are rather lackluster (just take Expertise Survival/Nature if you want that to be your thing).

Ranger is just, bad, all around.

It's not about white room or not. The ranger class just isn't even finished.
    Okay then. But there's always Drakewarden...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Okay then. But there's always Drakewarden...
    Which is more the subclass than the class, but more to the point...

You don't want to be multiclassing when taking that subclass. Pairing it with Strogue is a bad idea.

The Rangers class is still not made well even with a bandaid out on it.