New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Way of the Drow: New Drizzt Trilogy

So after hearing news about new Drow trilogy made after discourse on Drow portrayals (ironically, no thanks to Wizards ignoring more nuanced aspects of Drow lore to make Drizzt as only special one), I haven't checked on the new novel except for discussions I found online.
    Spoiler: Books spoiler
    Show

- So the book apparently explores the depths of Drow origins and starting at Callidae.
    - Apparently Eilistraee worshippers are a thing...because they apparently didn't set up community in surface community, especially Waterdeep where they could get a boat without getting a mask (going to Calimshan is another) For someone who said "she only exists to make drow good", this was surprising plot line.
    - Everything has no problem and food is magically created and vegetarian (even though Eilistraee doesn't mind eating meat, her portfolio covers hunting as well...or Forgotten Realms elves for that matter).

Anyone got feedback on it?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Way of the Drow: New Drizzt Trilogy

Eh...

The drow are fun precisely because they lean in to being a ridiculous bunch of cartoon villains. I'm not really interested in "nuanced" drow anymore than I'm interested in "nuanced" Warhammer 40k. THat doesn't mean you can't find opportunities to play the concept for sincere tragedy, but watering down the concept doesn't do it any favors.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    Eh...

The drow are fun precisely because they lean in to being a ridiculous bunch of cartoon villains. I'm not really interested in "nuanced" drow anymore than I'm interested in "nuanced" Warhammer 40k. THat doesn't mean you can't find opportunities to play the concept for sincere tragedy, but watering down the concept doesn't do it any favors.
    The things is that was due to wanting to make Drizzt special.
    Like Drizzt needs to be “only good one” and thus appeal to audience more than “a member of good-aligned group from usually evil race who likes dance, nice to people, and swords”, plus that last part would ruin his special nature according to higher ups.
    Of course, Drizzt was hated for that along with “chaotic good rebels” spawning from him, so not sure if that works.
    Also RA Salvatore also have mixed take on FR religions and also seem to dislike Eilistraee as “bad writing”.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I would consider that an appropriate goal.

Having "special" things in a setting is part of what makes it interesting. Every race just being sort of generally like every other race isn't.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    While that's certainly a valid opinion, it's not the only one. Personally, I think a race of underground amoral elves is a potentially interesting concept, but the classic drow whose main hobbies seem to be twirling their mustaches, laughing maniacally and eating kittens for breakfast are a rather disappointing result of that concept. How much the drow annoyed me is a big part of why I never read more than one Drizzt book (granted, I also found it to be kind of average at best even aside from that, so I shouldn't blame everything on two-dimensional drow).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is the way.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    The problem though is that Drizzt was never special. He was prolific and essentially the poster child of edgy for years, but was never in a sense "special" as a good aligned Drow. He showed up in Homeland as his first book, which puts him squarely in the release window of 2e: Eilistraee was already dancing naked in the moonlight with other non murder hobo drow at that same time. The closest I would put him to even being "special" was when they flat out killed Eilistraee in 4e, made Lloth a greater deity and essentially rolled all drow under Lloth. Though 5e undid a LOT of lore when it comes to Forgotten Realms.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    The problem though is that Drizzt was never special. He was prolific and essentially the poster child of edgy for years, but was never in a sense "special" as a good aligned Drow. He showed up in Homeland as his first book, which puts him squarely in the release window of 2e: Eilistraee was already dancing naked in the moonlight with other non murder hobo drow at that same time. The closest I would put him to even being "special" was when they flat out killed Eilistraee in 4e, made Lloth a greater deity and essentially rolled all drow under Lloth. Though 5e undid a LOT of lore when it comes to Forgotten Realms.
    The Crystal Shard was the first book with Drizzt, which preceded the book with Eilistraee (Drow of the Underdark).

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    The Crystal Shard was the first book with Drizzt, which preceded the book with Eilistraee (Drow of the Underdark).
    and per Ed Greenwood over on the old Disqus, Elistraee already existed in Forgotten Realms BEFORE Drow of the Underdark, and just used the book as an opportunity to make her more official.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    The problem though is that Drizzt was never special. He was prolific and essentially the poster child of edgy for years, but was never in a sense "special" as a good aligned Drow. He showed up in Homeland as his first book, which puts him squarely in the release window of 2e: Eilistraee was already dancing naked in the moonlight with other non murder hobo drow at that same time. The closest I would put him to even being "special" was when they flat out killed Eilistraee in 4e, made Lloth a greater deity and essentially rolled all drow under Lloth. .
    Which is where they began in the first place, in the World of Greyhawk's underdark ...
    Though 5e undid a LOT of lore when it comes to Forgotten Realms
    Yes. But so did 4e. FWIW

While I enjoyed the Crystal Shard books, and the first Drzzt trilogy, I can't see picking these up. FR lost its shine for me a while back.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-03-14 at 01:40 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society