New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1298 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    That was my take.

As to Rich knowing the rules: heck, he wrote at least one supplement, didn't he?
    Plenty of supplements were written by people who didn't have the slightest understanding of the rules. For that matter, most of the people who worked on the core books didn't understand the rules either. I'm not making any claim about Burlew's knowledge; I've never met him. But this isn't a point for or against it.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I mean on that very point, "hippopotamus" means "water horse". A hippopotamus is not actually a horse, and anyone who tries to argue that it is is being very silly.
    Color me embarrassed for forgetting that. Also, yeah, hippos are obviously not horses.
    Spoiler: This is a horse
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Really, crocodiles have a lot more superficially in common with lizards than dinosaurs do, but I've also never heard anyone trying to argue that they're actually lizards.
    Komodo dragon would like to have a word with you.

Birds and Crocs are more closely related to each other and to dinosaurs than to lizards. They evolved from archosaurs. Lizards evolved from lepidosaurs, which co-evolved with the ancestors of crocodiles after the Permian extinction event. The two groups have been distinct for over 250 million years.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Color me embarrassed for forgetting that. Also, yeah, hippos are obviously not horses.
    Spoiler: This is a horse
    Show
    Why did you post a picture of a red dragon?
    Last edited by brian 333; 2024-02-21 at 04:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    [*]Elan has a BAB of at least +10 and no Strength bonus. He probably needs a natural 20 even with magic.
    Elan uses CHA bonus to hit by Prestige Class, as long as he can include a pun in his speech. This allows a +6 bonus (plus a +1 from the magic belt, if appliable). This sets him in Belkar's range.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Calder's holding it by the blade. Unless he's planning on stabbing Bloodfeast with the handle, I think he's fine.
    In the preceding panel he's clearly holding it pointy end forward.
    "I'll see you on the road!"

AntiHeroes - Not worth the banner any more.

DragonCon 2013: August 30 - September 2

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Komodo dragon would like to have a word with you.
    Komodo dragons aren't crocodiles... Not sure what your point is?
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2024-02-21 at 05:41 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarhan View Post
    Never heard of the term, and a Google search led to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley-oop - but that doesn't seem to fit expect very remotely (Belkar tossing Bloodfeast...).
    Belkar tossing Bloodfeast is exactly what I thought it was referencing.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Yesterday had not been a very good day, but I finished it by checking the site and finding the new comic. Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator taking a great bite out of Calder allowed me to go to bed on a much more positive note. Bravo Mr Burlew. That was well worth all the waiting and teasing since Bloodfeast was polymorphed.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Thank you! I was completely confused by the strip title but now I get the reference.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. Maybe it's a more old school reference, but "alley oop" would be something you'd say when tossing someone upwards, or lifting them up. Say... when helping a friend get over a high fence and giving them a boost up while they grab for the top of the fence. Or parents tossing their small children up into the air and catching them. Which is totally a thing parents used to do, and we were probably never dropped (much). So all good...

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    Yeah. Maybe it's a more old school reference
    Spoiler
    Show

Alternate take:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That! Was! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn View Post
    Eiher Belkar has invested in Wisdom or Intelligence somewhere, or he rolled a natural 20... That was a truly epic move. It won't take down the dragon. But it will BRING down the dragon and this just because a fight the Order of the Stick can win.
    Even a blind Squirrel can find his nuts twice a day

14. - Top - End - #284

AssassinGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-02-21 at 10:29 PM.
    Thank you, Devil's Advocate for sending me this link so I can finally erase my old signature!

https://forums.giantitp.com/profile....=editsignature

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do you think the dragon has figured out the sword's properties? Maybe he's planning to use it against the party to dispel their beneficial magic. I'm pretty sure that only works when Roy wields it, but maybe I'm wrong, and dragon might not be aware of that if it is the case. I probably wouldn't want to waste slots on dispel magic / counterspell instead of control or disabling if I was him, and the sword can deal damage in the same action.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

According to the Class & Level Geekery Thread:
    • Roy has a BAB of at least +14 and a Strength bonus of +9 (with magic items), so his attack bonus without magic is probably somewhere around +20. Two iterative attacks can hit without a natural 20.
    • Belkar has a BAB of +15 and a Strength bonus of +2 or +3, so his attack bonus without magic is +16 or +17. If he squeezed Weapon Focus or something in there, his second unmagicked attack could hit on a 19.
    • Durkon has a BAB of +9 and a Strength bonus between +3 and +5. Without magic, his first attack needs at least a 19 to hit.
    • Elan has a BAB of at least +10 and no Strength bonus. He probably needs a natural 20 even with magic.
    • Haley has a BAB of +12 and a Dexterity bonus of +5 ("even in anti-magic"). That's comparable to Belkar.
    • Minrah probably has a BAB somewhere north of +7 and a Strength bonus of +2 to +4. On par with Elan.
    • Vaarsuvius is a wizard.

So not quite true, but close to true.
    Well Belkar does have Rage, but the TWF penalties negate the to-hit bonus from extra Strength so… yeah. What’s worse is that the AMF would also negate any defensive abilities and AC bonuses on the Order as well as magical Constitution bonuses, so Calder has a quite good chance of killing at least two Order members per round with full attacks. Let’s hope Bloodfeast makes it hard for him to do that.

Point 1: Since when has the Order fought monsters in their league?

Point 2: Most people are assuming Calder is Old because, um, he looks old. He's got a vaguely gaunt face and a broken horn and a...beard? And bushy...eye...ridges... Anyways, Rich presumably designed him that way for a reason, presumably to communicate that this is an old dragon, and hence a dangerous one.
    For what it’s worth, he’s probably fairly old for most non-divine beings in the comic. And “mature adult” is probably the equivalent of… I dunno, maybe 30s~40s for a human? He’s definitely not a kid.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    The problem with that analogy is that the allosaurus does "bark". Let's run through the characteristics of lizards:
    • Four limbs
    • Egg laying
    • Endoskeletion
    • Cold blooded (maybe the real one might not have been, but the pop cultures ones are)
    • Long tails
    • Overlapping, keratinous scales
    Spoiler: Behold, a lizard!
    Show

Wings are limbs, eggs and skeleton are obvious, "tail" is vague, overlapping keratinous scales on the feet.

You could argue that it's warm-blooded, but the cold-blooded/warm-blooded dichotomy is BS.

And if I'm allowed to point to monsters of fantasy and folklore—since OotS takes place in a fantasy world—I could do my Diogenes act all year. Wyverns and bunyips and peludas, oh my!

Anyways. You're wrong about how taxonomy works. This kind of logic is exactly why ancient cultures thought whales were big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Or when they are babies! The whole four legs in the morning, two during the day, three at night thing.

Turns out babies are the best pack-beasts of all!
    Nah, they're too small. A giant baby the size of a kindergartener has the carrying capacity of an adult human with an equal Strength score, and most babies don't have an adult's Strength.

Ogres forced to play horsey by said giant baby would be much more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    Elan uses CHA bonus to hit by Prestige Class, as long as he can include a pun in his speech. This allows a +6 bonus (plus a +1 from the magic belt, if appliable). This sets him in Belkar's range.
    Ah, right, right. Good catch!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Point 1: Since when has the Order fought monsters in their league?

Point 2: Most people are assuming Calder is Old because, um, he looks old. He's got a vaguely gaunt face and a broken horn and a...beard? And bushy...eye...ridges... Anyways, Rich presumably designed him that way for a reason, presumably to communicate that this is an old dragon, and hence a dangerous one.
    On the second, I suppose it's a matter of impressions. I don't think it looks gaunt, and I don't think a broken horn or something that looks like a beard and busy eyebrows are signals of age - young creatures can have those things too. But if that's what you see, perhaps that was the impression the author was trying to create. i assume not, because it's not what i see.

On the first point - we only know that for sure when the level of the opponent is mentioned (such as where Hayley fights Sabine). But I think it appears that they do much of the time - for example the Linear Guild (other than Pompey) seems to be of a similar level to the Order in most encounters. Beyond that, lots of encounters we simply don't know (eg the fight with the frost giants, or Roy fighting the Ogre who fell off the cliff), but even then I think we can deduce that they are roughly level appropriate from the fact that the fights seem challenging but winnable. Sure there, are encounters which are obviously not level appropriate - such as fighting Xykon, but those seem to be exception boss fights.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorized View Post
    Plenty of supplements were written by people who didn't have the slightest understanding of the rules. For that matter, most of the people who worked on the core books didn't understand the rules either. I'm not making any claim about Burlew's knowledge; I've never met him. But this isn't a point for or against it.
    The idea that "plenty of supplements were written by people who didn't have the slightest understanding of the rules" and "most of the people who worked on the core rulebooks didn't understand the rules" are at best counter-intuitive.

Are you able to provide a source, or explain why you think that.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2024-02-22 at 02:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Behold, a lizard!
    Show

Wings are limbs, eggs and skeleton are obvious, "tail" is vague, overlapping keratinous scales on the feet.

You could argue that it's warm-blooded, but the cold-blooded/warm-blooded dichotomy is BS.
    I would have gone with one of the long-tailed hummingbirds (as it could be argued that they are "cold blooded" during torpor), but yes, brilliant.

20. - Top - End - #290

About the species of Bloodfeast; "Dinny, Alley Oop's pet dinosaur, was designed as an amalgam of different features and was not meant to resemble any known dinosaur. Dinny's species is identified as a "Cartoonosaurus" in the daily strip on April 12, 1968."

Cartoonosaurus 😂
    Last edited by Hardcore; 2024-02-22 at 03:03 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by axledawes View Post
    The sword in Calder's left hand makes me a little nervous. Anyone else feel like the placement of the arm in the big panel (with Roy's sword hidden out of view) makes it look like Bloodfeast just took a greatsword to the heart? The dino's expression looks awfully surprised..
    I think their eyes are supposed to be oriented that way normally. Vertical oval. Look at #778

22. - Top - End - #292

I could do my Diogenes act all year.
    Only if you learn to not bow for the king

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    On the second, I suppose it's a matter of impressions. I don't think it looks gaunt, and I don't think a broken horn or something that looks like a beard and busy eyebrows are signals of age - young creatures can have those things too. But if that's what you see, perhaps that was the impression the author was trying to create. i assume not, because it's not what i see.

On the first point - we only know that for sure when the level of the opponent is mentioned (such as where Hayley fights Sabine). But I think it appears that they do much of the time - for example the Linear Guild (other than Pompey) seems to be of a similar level to the Order in most encounters. Beyond that, lots of encounters we simply don't know (eg the fight with the frost giants, or Roy fighting the Ogre who fell off the cliff), but even then I think we can deduce that they are roughly level appropriate from the fact that the fights seem challenging but winnable. Sure there, are encounters which are obviously not level appropriate - such as fighting Xykon, but those seem to be exception boss fights.

The idea that "plenty of supplements were written by people who didn't have the slightest understanding of the rules" and "most of the people who worked on the core rulebooks didn't understand the rules" are at best counter-intuitive.

Have you seen the dysfunctional rules thread? It's fairly obvious that the 3.5 writers did zero destructive testing on their system.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Only if you learn to not bow for the king
    You need to tell the king 'out of my sun',

Cup your hands in water to drink some

Live in a big jar just for fun

Search for a man, to Diogenes be

Quote Originally Posted by gatorized View Post
    Have you seen the dysfunctional rules thread? It's fairly obvious that the 3.5 writers did zero destructive testing on their system.
    And very little efficient testing in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    There's more than 20 years of well-documented explanations on the topic.

A few examples: the Druid class, the Truenamer class, the Samurai class, the grappling rules, the Exotic Weapons...
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2024-02-22 at 10:02 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Anyways. You're wrong about how taxonomy works. This kind of logic is exactly why ancient cultures thought whales were big fish.
    On the other hand, some people today will point out that, since whales are more closely related to salmon than either is related to sharks, they must be fish. (As humans would be, by the same argument.)

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    yes it was. There was also a 50's or 60's era NFL QB who had an alley oop play with one of his ends. Not sure if it was Sid Luckman, or YA Tittle, or whome else. Maybe Otto Graham? Memory hazy. I had to look this up:
    Spoiler: YA whom?
    Show
    The alley-oop is an American football play in which the quarterback throws the ball high into the air, and another player jumps up and catches it. The play was developed in 1957 by San Francisco 49ers players Y. A. Tittle and R. C. Owens.
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Thank you! I was completely confused by the strip title but now I get the reference.
    My initial take was the sports reference. But once someone mentioned the comic strip, which I recall from my youth, I can see a double pun/ref at work again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    On the other hand, some people today will point out that, since whales are more closely related to salmon than either is related to sharks, they must be fish. (As humans would be, by the same argument.)
    And we even have Fish (user) posting here.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-02-22 at 10:47 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I will grant that "fish" is a cladistically nonsense category. However, I assumed people would understand what I meant by that, and chose to use a more elegant phrasing than "why ancient cultures thought whales were not artiodactyls".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Or perhaps more relevantly for a taxonomy claim, carnivoran literally means carnivore, but the clade includes plenty of omnivores, some of which eat far more plants than meat. And then there are the giant and red pandas, both carnivorans, both herbivorous.
    That's exactly what they want you to think...

I mean on that very point, "hippopotamus" means "water horse". A hippopotamus is not actually a horse, and anyone who tries to argue that it is is being very silly.
    Look, just because you're not able to get a saddle on one doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

29. - Top - End - #299
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If someone rode up to me on a hippo and told me it was a horse, I'd be hesitant to argue with them.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

"why ancient cultures thought whales were not artiodactyls".
    Did ancient cultures even know that word?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society