New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Changing Disciplines

How unbalancing would it be, if at all, to allow martial adepts to exchange disciplines? For example, I want to use both Iron Heart and Desert Wind, so I play a Warblade and remove Diamond Mind and/or White Raven from my allowed disciplines in exchange for Desert Wind.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Changing Disciplines

It depends on which disciplines are being swapped out. For example, it'll probably be very strong for a swordsage to drop Desert Wind for White Raven (mainly because White Raven is ridiculously powerful and Desert Wind isn't spectacular), while getting Desert Wind in place of Devoted Spirit as a crusader would be quite bad.
    RAR!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Most requests would be for gaining access to Iron Heart and White Raven, which would be somehow unballancing but not that terrible a threat for a DM to reject them.

I have a different question about ToB. When u exchange a maneuver, and the maneuver u wanna take has preqs, do you have to meet those before the exchange or still meet them afterwards. Eg. You wanna take a Tiger Claw maneuver that needs 3 tiger claw maneuvers as a preq. You know 3 TC maneuvers and you want to exchange one of them for the new one. Is it valid?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

In response to Zephyros it would not be terribly unbalancing to allow that sort of switching out. But as far as whether it's legal or not, you'd probably have to ask Wizards.
    This avatar brought to you by ThreeShades.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Depends on your party. If everyone else in the group is a full caster and/or well optimized, then I tend to approve almost any build tweak a player wants. But if the party is a mixed bag and/or has any newbs playing in it, then I generally ask everyone to stick to RAW.