New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Homebrew items: Blade of Sun and Moon. Thoughts?

Blade of Sun
    Weapon (Shortsword), Legendary
    This blade is shaped like a sun, except for how the middle is a gaping hole, with jagged edges and sharp points for the rays. It has a +3 to hit and to damage rolls. It gives off bright light for 15 feet, and dim light for another 15. You can speak the command work to have it not glow, though. When you hit with this weapon, it deals an additional 2d6 radiant and an additional 2d6 fire damage. If you are proficient with the shortsword or the Blade of Moon, you are proficient with this weapon.

Blade of Moon
    Weapon (Scimitar), Legendary
    This scimitar is shaped like a crescent moon, but jagged and sharp. It has a +3 to hit and to damage rolls. It gives off dim light for 15 feet, but you can make it stop by speaking the command word. When you hit with this weapon, it deals an additional 2d6 radiant or necrotic damage (your choice) and an additional 2d6 cold damage. If you are proficient with the scimitar or the Blade of Sun, you are proficient with this weapon.

So they also have a bit of lore surrounding them which is that they belong to the Guardians of Night and Day. The Guardian of Night (sun) has the Blade of Sun and the Guardian of Day (moon) has the Blade of Moon. The reason they're called what they are is because the moon guards the day until the moon is tired, at which point the sun guards the night until it's tired. The two weapons were originally wielded by the Savior of Dawn and Dusk, who halted an archmage from stopping the natural cycle of night and day. The weapons, because of this, are one-of-a-kind. There are no other blades like them, and there never will be. Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew items: Blade of Sun and Moon. Thoughts?

How do you shape a blade like a sun?

And... They're fine. They're +3 Light weapons with an extra 4d6 damage. Not something I'd be eager to have players get, because of the raw power, but not particularly interesting either.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    How do you shape a blade like a sun?

And... They're fine. They're +3 Light weapons with an extra 4d6 damage. Not something I'd be eager to have players get, because of the raw power, but not particularly interesting either.

So, how should I fix it? Should I buff the damage, or lower the rarity? Or both? I'd love you hear your advice! Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    So, how should I fix it? Should I buff the damage, or lower the rarity? Or both? I'd love you hear your advice! Thanks!
    I'd do neither-they're quite powerful.

They're just dull. For weapons wielded by the guardians of night and day, they're pretty mundane. Bonus to hit and damage.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'd do neither-they're quite powerful.

They're just dull. For weapons wielded by the guardians of night and day, they're pretty mundane. Bonus to hit and damage.
    Well, what else should they do? I mean, does the glowing fit the flavor? What else should be changed? Like, more damage to creatures of the underdark? More damage to Celestials and Fiends?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    Well, what else should they do? I mean, does the glowing fit the flavor? What else should be changed? Like, more damage to creatures of the underdark? More damage to Celestials and Fiends?
    Give them active abilities that are thematic to their niches.

For really powerful and unique items, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be able to put it on your sheet and forget about it. And currently, you can do that with these. Increase hit bonus by 3, increase damage by 2d6+2d6+3.

Edit: DMG has some item quirks, maybe look at those.
    Also look at Artifact boons and banes, or whatever they're called.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2024-02-20 at 10:39 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Give them active abilities that are thematic to their niches.

For really powerful and unique items, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be able to put it on your sheet and forget about it. And currently, you can do that with these. Increase hit bonus by 3, increase damage by 2d6+2d6+3.

Edit: DMG has some item quirks, maybe look at those.
    Also look at Artifact boons and banes, or whatever they're called.
    Ah, I see. I think I have some ideas now...

Blinding Flash: When the Blade of Sun hits a foe, they must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be blinded for 1 minute, and all creatures (other than yourself) that are up to 30 feet away must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the end of your next turn.

Revealing Light When the Blade of Moon hits a foe, they, and all creatures within 15 feet of it (excluding you), if they are shapechanged (such as in a Wild Shape form) then they must make a DC 18 Charisma saving throw or be reverted to their true form, and cannot shapeshift again while they are within the glow radius of the Blade of Moon.

How's that?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Blade of Sun Weapon (Shortsword), Legendary, Requires Attunement

This circular weapon is red hot at all times. It has a handle in the middle and two semi-circular blades with jagged teeth on them. It acts like a short sword in melee, but can be thrown with a 60'/120' range and returns to the attacker immediately. Creatures damaged by this weapon take an additional 2d6 fire damage.

The weapon can be used defensively; if you are not wearing a shield, it grants you a +2 bonus to your AC.

When you speak a command word as a bonus action, it gives off Daylight within a 15' radius, Bright light within a 30' radius, and Dim light for another 60'; this lasts until you speak the command word again. While glowing the weapon deals radiant damage instead of piercing damage.

Creatures damaged by this weapon become vulnerable to the next source of radiant damage they take until the end of your next turn.

---

My rule for magic items is that they have 1 interesting feature per tier.
    0.5 for common
    1.5 for uncommon
    2.5 for rare
    3.5 for very rare
    4.5 for legendary

This lets me design upgrades for lower-tier gear that encompass what the lower-tier item does, while still offering something novel.

This weapon has no +3/+3 bonus; that is honestly the most boring way to make a weapon more powerful.

The shape is supposed to look a bit like an H, but with the top and bottom curved towards each other, and the other parts covered in sharp teeth. Your hand goes on the bar of the H. This reminds me of the shape of a shield - so I let it act like a (non-magical) shield while still being a weapon. (interesting feature)

As a weapon of the sun, it is always glowing hot. 2d6 fire damage matches that of a top-quality lower-tier flameblade (interesting feature).

It being able to be thrown is only somewhat interesting (half a feature).

You can turn it into a blade of light. It only does 1d6 radiant when you do this (mostly a quirk), *but* it also imposes 1 tap of radiant vulnerability. This effectively doubles that 1d6 to 2d6 *and* any modifiers you apply to your attack (like sneak attack). The 1 step delay makes this less powerful (especially for rogues, who get only 1 attack per round baseline). (interesting feature)

So "light off" it is 1d6 piercing + 2d6 fire + 5 (dex) + any other bonuses. "light on" it is 2d6 radiant + 2d6 fire + 10 (dex) + 2* any other bonuses.

In the hands of a level 20 rogue, the first attack deals 50.5, the second and later can deal 94. The rogue can open up by throwing it (placing radiant vulnerability on the target) and closing range, using the bonus action to make it glow just before delivering the double damage sneak attack next round.

---

Blade of Moon
    This scimitar is shaped like a crescent moon, but its shape shimmers like it was reflected in water; its image in water is still and does not shimmer.

It emits dim light up to a radius of 15' away.

Whenever it hits a creature it casts Moonbeam cast as a 5th level spell centered on the target with a DC 20 Con save and 5d10 damage (half on success). This Moonbeam lasts until the sword casts it again, or 1 minute has passed. The sword maintains concentration on the Moonbeam for you.

The wielder of the Blade of the Moon can move the Moonbeam as a bonus action 60 feet in any direction.

A creature can become immune to the Moonbeam from the Blade by drinking water reflecting the image of the Blade of the Moon. This lasts until the next new moon, and any creature who does so cannot damage the wielder of the Blade of the Moon while under this effect.

While the Blade of the Moon is in your hands you have a 60' flying speed, but only on your turn. In addition, while attuned you do not take falling damage except on the night of the new moon, when the Earth has yet to drink its oath to you.

---

I assume Moonbeam does not deal damage immediately - it deals damage on their turn.

It creates a small AOE on the target with delayed resolution. This prevents it from multi-stacking. At 5th level, this is 5d10 (save half), with additional effects on shape changers. You can easily manage to hit more than 1 target with this with some care.

It feels very different than a raw +damage per tap buff and doesn't scale excessively with taps.

The one-month drinking-of-water thing makes it ally friendly. And you become completely immune to friendly fire from such allies - their attacks don't hurt you.

Which leads me to the feather fall feature. It is the Earth doing the ritual once a month! So for 1 night a month you don't get featherfall.

Finally, Flight while you have the weapon out, but only on your turn, is a really fun feature, and fits with the ethereal and celestial nature of the moon.

Glow (half an interesting feature)
    Moonbeam (interesting feature)
    Oath thing (interesting feature)
    On-Turn Flight (interesting feature)
    Feather Fall (half an interesting feature, plus flavour)

And with all of this combined, it isn't as good as a +3/+3 5d6 damage weapon power-wise. A level 20 fighter with your original weapon does 102 DPR with +3 accuracy. With this one, 34 DPR from the sword and a 27.5 AOE save-for-half.

But the fighter with this variant won't forget they have the moon sword. They'll be flying around, immune to allies AOE, and positioning the moonbeam.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2024-02-26 at 03:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Blade of Sun Weapon (Shortsword), Legendary, Requires Attunement

This circular weapon is red hot at all times. It has a handle in the middle and two semi-circular blades with jagged teeth on them. It acts like a short sword in melee, but can be thrown with a 60'/120' range and returns to the attacker immediately. Creatures damaged by this weapon take an additional 2d6 fire damage.

The weapon can be used defensively; if you are not wearing a shield, it grants you a +2 bonus to your AC.

When you speak a command word as a bonus action, it gives off Daylight within a 15' radius, Bright light within a 30' radius, and Dim light for another 60'; this lasts until you speak the command word again. While glowing the weapon deals radiant damage instead of piercing damage.

Creatures damaged by this weapon become vulnerable to the next source of radiant damage they take until the end of your next turn.

---

My rule for magic items is that they have 1 interesting feature per tier.
    0.5 for common
    1.5 for uncommon
    2.5 for rare
    3.5 for very rare
    4.5 for legendary

This lets me design upgrades for lower-tier gear that encompass what the lower-tier item does, while still offering something novel.

This weapon has no +3/+3 bonus; that is honestly the most boring way to make a weapon more powerful.

The shape is supposed to look a bit like an H, but with the top and bottom curved towards each other, and the other parts covered in sharp teeth. Your hand goes on the bar of the H. This reminds me of the shape of a shield - so I let it act like a (non-magical) shield while still being a weapon. (interesting feature)

As a weapon of the sun, it is always glowing hot. 2d6 fire damage matches that of a top-quality lower-tier flameblade (interesting feature).

It being able to be thrown is only somewhat interesting (half a feature).

You can turn it into a blade of light. It only does 1d6 radiant when you do this (mostly a quirk), *but* it also imposes 1 tap of radiant vulnerability. This effectively doubles that 1d6 to 2d6 *and* any modifiers you apply to your attack (like sneak attack). The 1 step delay makes this less powerful (especially for rogues, who get only 1 attack per round baseline). (interesting feature)

So "light off" it is 1d6 piercing + 2d6 fire + 5 (dex) + any other bonuses. "light on" it is 2d6 radiant + 2d6 fire + 10 (dex) + 2* any other bonuses.

In the hands of a level 20 rogue, the first attack deals 50.5, the second and later can deal 94. The rogue can open up by throwing it (placing radiant vulnerability on the target) and closing range, using the bonus action to make it glow just before delivering the double damage sneak attack next round.

---

Blade of Moon
    This scimitar is shaped like a crescent moon, but its shape shimmers like it was reflected in water; its image in water is still and does not shimmer.

It emits dim light up to a radius of 15' away.

Whenever it hits a creature it casts Moonbeam cast as a 5th level spell centered on the target with a DC 20 Con save and 5d10 damage (half on success). This Moonbeam lasts until the sword casts it again, or 1 minute has passed. The sword maintains concentration on the Moonbeam for you.

The wielder of the Blade of the Moon can move the Moonbeam as a bonus action 60 feet in any direction.

A creature can become immune to the Moonbeam from the Blade by drinking water reflecting the image of the Blade of the Moon. This lasts until the next new moon, and any creature who does so cannot damage the wielder of the Blade of the Moon while under this effect.

While the Blade of the Moon is in your hands you have a 60' flying speed, but only on your turn. In addition, while attuned you do not take falling damage except on the night of the new moon, when the Earth has yet to drink its oath to you.

---

I assume Moonbeam does not deal damage immediately - it deals damage on their turn.

It creates a small AOE on the target with delayed resolution. This prevents it from multi-stacking. At 5th level, this is 5d10 (save half), with additional effects on shape changers. You can easily manage to hit more than 1 target with this with some care.

It feels very different than a raw +damage per tap buff and doesn't scale excessively with taps.

The one-month drinking-of-water thing makes it ally friendly. And you become completely immune to friendly fire from such allies - their attacks pass right through you.

Glow (half an interesting feature)
    Moonbeam (interesting feature)
    Oath thing (interesting feature)
    On-Turn Flight (interesting feature)
    Feather Fall (half an interesting feature, plus flavour)
    Wow, thanks! Thank you so much!