New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How would a God describe himself when asked "What are you"?

I'm pretty sure that there is actually a definitive answer no matter the god.

Just to be slight more specific, my players have asked this question when talking to a manifestation of Murder, Kazgaroth (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Kazgaroth). So what I would answer them?

Edit: note that they already asked the "who are you". But they kept asking "What are you". Saying

I'm a t-rex god, kinda seems underwhelming.

So I'm wondering how kazgaroth would describe himself.
    Last edited by Entessa; 2024-02-20 at 03:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How would a God describe himself when asked "What are you"?

"I am vengeance, I am the night…"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Entessa View Post

Just to be slight more specific, my players have asked this question when talking to a manifestation of Murder, Kazgaroth (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Kazgaroth). So what I would answer them?

Edit: note that they already asked the "who are you". But they kept asking "What are you". Saying

"*What* am I, little mortals? Do not act as if we were not well-acquainted. I am the silent arrow toward the protected monarch, the heavy axe toward the helpless prisoner, the indifference of the powerful toward the weak's plights. I am the poison in the hand of the resentful spouse, the magic in the hand of the vengeful sorcerer, the law in the hand of the joyful tyrant. I am the first strike that felt on the first mortal to step out of line in their peers' eyes, and I'll be the last too. I am the adventurer's first recourse and the doctor's last.

I am murder, little mortals. Purely, simply, murder. And we finally meet in person."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your worst nightmare" would be a classic. So is "Your doom". Depending on how much sense of humour you want to give to your giant murder lizard, you could also go with "harmless little forest creature, wouldn't harm a fly".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

For the pantheon I want to use in my next game.

Sun God: Benevolence itself, what do you need?

Murder Goddess:
    <Ignores the question and either kills the party>
    or
    "Very fond of hippos, who's that Giff in the back there? Anyone going to introduce me?"

Earth God: ... (He's unfortunately dead)

Wind Goddess: Gone, bye!

Goddess of shadows: I'm the village crazy lady!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Entessa View Post

"I am the death of the Earthmother made manifest."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

How would a God describe himself when asked "What are you"?

Most deities in my worlds would respond in a Robert Deniro style accent:

You talkin' to me?!
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am a portion of eternity, one which is expressed in immortality. A primal urge, a divine insight, into the astute ideal that might makes right. To think of me is to give me form and power, the likes of which do not fade quickly. The cat that hunts the mouse. The shepherd striking down the beast that attacks his flock. The swift knife against a throat, to silence screams and steal the purse. Inevitably made manifest, far sooner than time has promised. The ultimate frailty of flesh.

I am murder. And I am that which murders."

Is that too much for stabby-mc-dinosaur? I'm not the most lore savvy, and don't know the literary talents involved.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question to ask yourself: Do the gods in your campaign setting actually know how the cosmology of your setting works and their role within it?

They may or may not answer the query honestly, to the best of their own knowledge, but are they even capable of answering it correctly?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I am the whisper that you bellow sermons to each other to drown out. The unmarked grave amidst the splendid carven monuments celebrating your own righteousness. The enemy of civilization and the eventual end of it; and yet the beginning of it as well, its seed and its spark, for what is civilization but an attempt to bind me and blind me and deny me my due and even my very existence? Fear of me has spurred you and your ancestors to heights otherwise beyond your imagination and your attainment. And yet, for all your striving, the seed will inevitably fail , and the spark will die, or flare into conflagration. And in that time, in the ashes of of your hopes, I will come to you and you shall know me for what I have always been.

And then you shall begin the cycle anew, as has happened again and again for more Epochs of this world than there are stars in the sky.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

For an evil deity, I would fall back on a quote from Faust:

"I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good."

It's a play on words. "Good" in this sense just means well/efficiently/etc.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I am carnage made flesh" (or murder, or death, or...)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"I am everyone I ever killed."
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

14. - Top - End - #14
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'd probably wax poetic.

"I am that which steals life, the violent delight that begets violent ends."

"I am the dagger, the sharpened stone, that unleashes an endless tide of blood."

"I am the cold wind that encounters the flickering candle... and snuffs it out."

I'd probably do something along those lines, but also with an allusive eye toward famous murderers throughout literature, mythology and history. Note that these don't have to be references the PCs are familiar with - a god of Murder might know about Jack the Ripper or Cain or Procrustes, even if the PCs don't have a clue who he's talking about, it'll just sound menacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd go for mystery.
    "What are you?"
    "I am."
    As far as the deity is concerned in my worlds, they are the important one. That goes for all of them. They are the pinnacle of existence, what makes the rest of existence work. They are beyond such questions as what they are, they simply are.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would think that a god of murder would illustratively kill someone by way of reply to such a query, but that might not make for satisfying play.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pointedly ignore, they are below a gods notice unless have proven worthy. They keep pestering it, it devours one and leaves
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

"I'm Ray"

If not they may get shouted at by their friends.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

'A wizard, obviously' - Fizban

'Hungry, now don't test my patience' - Tiamat

'A old knight that will help where they can' - Torm

"I am Stratos, God of Air, Supreme lord of the Heavens, bringer of storms, mover of the Firmament. Oh let's be honest shall we, in any halfway civilized world, I would be the only God" - Stratos as voiced by Tim Curry
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I
    am
    POWERFUUUUL!!!

(add storm sounds and flowerpots falling down from windowsills).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Pointedly ignore, they are below a gods notice unless have proven worthy. They keep pestering it, it devours one and leaves
    This is kinda my lean as well.

Why are the lowly mortal PCs in a position to directly address or question a god in the first place? IMO, any god lowly and physical and "mortal" enough to even notice the PCs asking the question, probably doesn't actually qualify as a god in any way other than a claimed title in the first place. And "real" gods, if they even noticed this gnat doing so, would likely soundly disagree with the claim being made.

This doesn't preclude powerful beings claiming such things. Even ones powerful enough to wipe the floor with an adventuring party. So... either that guy claiming to be a god is powerful enough that we may as well just humor him *or* he's a complete lune (and maybe we humor him anyway, "just in case"). But yeah... the liklihood of anything that bothers to give some sort of absolutist and poetic ("I am the blade in the dark...") kind of response, well.. isn't.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    'A wizard, obviously' - Fizban

'Hungry, now don't test my patience' - Tiamat

'A old knight that will help where they can' - Torm

"I am Stratos, God of Air, Supreme lord of the Heavens, bringer of storms, mover of the Firmament. Oh let's be honest shall we, in any halfway civilized world, I would be the only God" - Stratos as voiced by Tim Curry
    Specifically 80s Tim. Somewhere between Rocky Horror and Clue. All the fast tongue and lips, all the quips, all the sharp wits.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    "I am everyone I ever killed."
    I'd like to tweak this to 'I am everyone you ever killed' with the implication somehow that he can unleash all their vengeful slain enemies on them if they don't tread carefully.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    This is kinda my lean as well.

Why are the lowly mortal PCs in a position to directly address or question a god in the first place? IMO, any god lowly and physical and "mortal" enough to even notice the PCs asking the question, probably doesn't actually qualify as a god in any way other than a claimed title in the first place. And "real" gods, if they even noticed this gnat doing so, would likely soundly disagree with the claim being made.

This doesn't preclude powerful beings claiming such things. Even ones powerful enough to wipe the floor with an adventuring party. So... either that guy claiming to be a god is powerful enough that we may as well just humor him *or* he's a complete lune (and maybe we humor him anyway, "just in case"). But yeah... the liklihood of anything that bothers to give some sort of absolutist and poetic ("I am the blade in the dark...") kind of response, well.. isn't.
    In D&D and the Forgotten Realms, "god" is a type of entity, not an indicator of power.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    In D&D and the Forgotten Realms, "god" is a type of entity, not an indicator of power.
    Which still doesn't counter the point that anyone who's actually bothering to answer the PCs question with some nonsense about how they are the "embodiment of <whatever>" almost certainly... isn't.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I need your starship

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    Which still doesn't counter the point that anyone who's actually bothering to answer the PCs question with some nonsense about how they are the "embodiment of <whatever>" almost certainly... isn't.
    I don't follow the logic.

It's not nonsense if it's true.

If your point is "if it was true, they wouldn't ever be talking to the PCs, therefore it must be nonsense", then it's demonstratively not accurate. "The god shows off and makes a speech about what they are" is a common trope in D&D and in fantasy in general (not to mention actual real-life religions).
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2024-02-23 at 04:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I'd like to tweak this to 'I am everyone you ever killed' with the implication somehow that he can unleash all their vengeful slain enemies on them if they don't tread carefully.
    I really like this tweak. The god of murder draws power from murderers, and can give power to them, and can hold dominion over them. All to the extent that they murder.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not nonsense if it's true.
    True, but meaningless, since you can say that about anything. "I can lift 1000 lbs above my head!" is not nonsense if it's true.

Doesn't make the statement actually "true" though. Which is the point here.

If your point is "if it was true, they wouldn't ever be talking to the PCs, therefore it must be nonsense", then it's demonstratively not accurate. "The god shows off and makes a speech about what they are" is a common trope in D&D and in fantasy in general (not to mention actual real-life religions).
    I get that it's a trope. But so are lots of other dumb things that characters in various media do. As a GM, I actively try to avoid having the NPCs in my games actually follow dumb tropes as much as possible. And this is absolutely one of them.

I still maintain that anyone who feels the need to "show off and make a speech about what they are" is not actually a god. They may be powerful, but not an actual deity. Or, at the very least, not a very powerful one, and certainly not one that actually "embodies" any sort of conceptual thing (like death, murder, darkness, light, whatever). They are, at the very best, some minor being, with some minor powers (likely granted to them by a higher being) in some minor area and probably act as some minor part of a larger pantheon, and can only operate in so much as an actual full on deity allows them to or something. The actual "god of death"? Doesn't need to say a thing. The actual "god of darkness". Ditto. Only the flunkies feel the need to do this.

So yeah. Even in games like D&D, where there may be a whole array of various "divine beings" with different levels of powers, the general rule still stands. Anyone spending their time bragging to you about their divine powers probably has a boss they report to.

EDIT: Eh... So just to answer the question. If I do put someone in my game saying something like this, it absolutely will be the game equivalent of some poser really hoping no one looks beyind the curtain. An actual god would either just ignore the PCs entirely, or have some underling give them instructions (and said underling may very well be pompous and whatnot, but never the actual deity itself).
    Last edited by gbaji; 2024-02-23 at 06:09 PM.