New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default What If: crit when beat AC by 5 or more

So instead of an attacker being equally likely to crit a robed wizard as a plated fighter, it's much harder to crit the fighter.

The number doesn't have to be 5 either; it could be/probably should higher. Maybe 7?

Personally, I don't like the extra math involved and having to remember essentially two AC numbers, but I do like the base math - make having more armor worth more, as well as make boosting your attack roll that much better.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: What If: crit when beat AC by 5 or more

I’m pretty sure Pathfinder 2e does something along this line; maybe look there for further inspiration?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I played with the idea of doing "critical as excess to AC" when i wanted to add a Savage World-flavor to the game and allow for exploding dice on max roll.

For ***everything***. Then i realized a nat 20 should explode as well, so i needed to make the possibility of a double-exploding die interesting. So I realized an ever-progressing scale of bonus damage should apply.

Instead of "double damage", i was thinking the rule should be +1 biggest die you have/per 5 above the AC.

Thing is, I wanted to minimize the math involved, and i also consider making it +1die/10 AC. With exploding damage dice, every additional die can be really consequential.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just made the damage dealt by attacks to be the difference between the AC and the rolls total. You roll a 15 with mods targeting 10 AC, you deal 5 damage.

Criticals can happen on any attack with the weapons that are capable of it. They occur ~10% of the time after accounting for missed attacks.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Would nat20 still be an automatic hit, even if not a crit?

Edit: to rephrase that, I have a feeling that with nat20 still being a hit, but a crit requiring a value exceeding the AC by X would eventually lead to strange situations.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-02-23 at 04:20 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I think the main problem is that there are a bunch of monsters, particularly at higher CR's, that have very high hit bonuses. Think stuff like adult red dragons and the like who could roll a crit like this very easily. If you incorporate this idea you'd have to redo some monster math and CR's to avoid nasty surprises.

There are systems that do something like this, but they tend to reduce how effective crits are on the NPC side. For example, in Lancer you crit whenever you roll a 20 or higher in total, but crits only allow you to roll your damage dice twice and pick the highest number (though there are some stuff you can unlock that adds bonus damage on crits). In this system however the vest majority of NPC's do fixed damage on hit, and there fore don't benefit from crits at all.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    So instead of an attacker being equally likely to crit a robed wizard as a plated fighter, it's much harder to crit the fighter.

The number doesn't have to be 5 either; it could be/probably should higher. Maybe 7?

Personally, I don't like the extra math involved and having to remember essentially two AC numbers, but I do like the base math - make having more armor worth more, as well as make boosting your attack roll that much better.
    Try it at your table and tell us. Run a one-shot with this homebrew rule.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Cikomyr2:

Thing is, I wanted to minimize the math involved, and i also consider making it +1die/10 AC. With exploding damage dice, every additional die can be really consequential.
    Exploding dice actually aren't all that consequential. Everyone pays attention to the shiny "I can do unlimited damage with a single attack!", but those very high damage values almost never actually come up. On average, exploding dice only add about +1 per roll (depending on exactly how you implement them).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

PCs who are not focused on AC will generally have between 15 and 19 AC for their whole careers.

PCs who are focused on AC will generally have between 20 and 23.

Let's take a randomly selected CR 6 monster... I got "Mist Hulk" from Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants, with two +8 attacks.

That means crit on a 17, if the PC has 20 AC, or crit on a 14 if the PC has 17 AC.

Now let's take a randomly selected CR 10 monster. I got "Young Gold Dragon" from the MM, with three +10 attacks.

That means crit on a 15 if the PC has 20 AC, or crit on a 12 if the PC has 17 AC.

I don't think that having 30% chances to get critted against a CR 10 enemy when you're in plate armor with a shield is an enjoyable prospect.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2024-02-23 at 07:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    I don't think that having 30% chances to get critted against a CR 10 enemy when you're in plate armor with a shield is an enjoyable prospect.
    Just to build on this analysis:

Crits generally help monsters more than PCs, unless the PC is specifically built for crits. Monsters tend to have bigger dice pools behind their attacks, which get doubled. While the usual route to adding damage for a PC is bonuses like “add [stat] mod to damage” or the +10 from GWM/SS. Paladins and Rogues benefit with Smites and SA, respectively.

Also, crits against mooks are less helpful and sometime just wasted damage due to their lower HP total, while any crit the monsters make is much more likely being done on a PC, and be much more a significant factor in the combat. Removing any given monster from the fight is less impactful than taking down a PC.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Exploding dice actually aren't all that consequential. Everyone pays attention to the shiny "I can do unlimited damage with a single attack!", but those very high damage values almost never actually come up. On average, exploding dice only add about +1 per roll (depending on exactly how you implement them).
    Mathematically, you are right.

But i said "every damage die CAN be consequential". I.e., theres always a chance that the goblin with 1d4+2 attack get a lucky break and does 20 point of damage.

Personally, i love these huge swings and minimize combat time, making every attacks a potentially very dramatic occurrence. But its a personal preference of how i enjoy my tabletop rpg, not my study in Game Theory or balance or whatnot.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

The fighter already has more HP, so the equal chance to crit still affects them less, so I'm not sure what this adds. It sounds similar to PF2, but keep in mind PF2's approach is predicated on that game's much tighter math, and also critical successes often do more than just damage, making them more dramatic. Fighters also have even more effective HP once you factor in Second Wind and Indomitable, especially the improved versions of both we're getting this year.

TL;DR try it and see if you like it but I don't think it will be as good a fit for 5e as it might appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

In 2e, with the Combat and Tactics supplement, crits became "18 or higher on the dice, and beat the AC by 5 or more." So, if you can only hit on a 20, you won't crit, but if you can hit on a 10, you still need at least an 18 on the die.

Crits went to people with better skills.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The fighter already has more HP, so the equal chance to crit still affects them less, so I'm not sure what this adds. It sounds similar to PF2, but keep in mind PF2's approach is predicated on that game's much tighter math, and also critical successes often do more than just damage, making them more dramatic. Fighters also have even more effective HP once you factor in Second Wind and Indomitable, especially the improved versions of both we're getting this year.

TL;DR try it and see if you like it but I don't think it will be as good a fit for 5e as it might appear.
    Yeah, I don’t like the idea for the extra damage side of crits, but the ability to add extra effects for successes more than 5 or 10 sounds fun. The problem is you really need a full alternate monster manual detailing those effects on a creature by creature basis, plus a mighty deeds system (like DCC’s) detailing what PCs can do.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Mathematically, you are right.

But i said "every damage die CAN be consequential". I.e., theres always a chance that the goblin with 1d4+2 attack get a lucky break and does 20 point of damage.

Personally, i love these huge swings and minimize combat time, making every attacks a potentially very dramatic occurrence. But its a personal preference of how i enjoy my tabletop rpg, not my study in Game Theory or balance or whatnot.
    Check out CWN traumatic hit mechanic. Any hit can be a trauma if it meets the threshold. It's usually a 6 and the smallest die is a d6 but it be as high as a D12. If it happens it flat out multiplies the damage X2 to X4. A goblin with a small blade might do 1-2 damage on miss, ~6 damage on a hit, and 18 damage on a traumatic hit. Makes better armor and avoiding unnecessary attacks vital but at the same time I don't think tactics is meant to be *that* big of a deal nowadays. the normal number of attacks in it is *1* but it's not hard to modify it for something like DND.

So far it's been a good way to make 2hd weapons actually worth something besides a means to apply feats.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I played with the idea of doing "critical as excess to AC" when i wanted to add a Savage World-flavor to the game and allow for exploding dice on max roll.

For ***everything***. Then i realized a nat 20 should explode as well, so i needed to make the possibility of a double-exploding die interesting. So I realized an ever-progressing scale of bonus damage should apply.

Instead of "double damage", i was thinking the rule should be +1 biggest die you have/per 5 above the AC.

Death to arcane casters.
    If that's what you want, that's what you'll get.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    I think the main problem is that there are a bunch of monsters, particularly at higher CR's, that have very high hit bonuses.
    Yes.
    PCs who are not focused on AC will generally have between 15 and 19 AC for their whole careers.
    And they will get chewed up with this rule as Tier levels increase. Death to arcane casters. [/quote] Nice example.
    bingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post
    Crits generally help monsters more than PCs, unless the PC is specifically built for crits.
    This also.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    In 2e, with the Combat and Tactics supplement, crits became "18 or higher on the dice, and beat the AC by 5 or more." So, if you can only hit on a 20, you won't crit, but if you can hit on a 10, you still need at least an 18 on the die.

Crits went to people with better skills.
    Did that include weapons mastery bonuses, or am I thinking about 1e Unearthed Arcana?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Death to arcane casters.
    If that's what you want, that's what you'll get.
    You say that like its a bad thing.

Omg, casters are becoming glass cannons again and we have to take care our most vulnerable members are protected from harm.

Oh noooes what will we do.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Did that include weapons mastery bonuses, or am I thinking about 1e Unearthed Arcana?
    Flat, natural, die roll.

So, let's say you have a ThAC0 of 10, and your opponent convenient has an AC of 0. Between strength, weapon specialization, and magic weapons, you have a +4 to hit.

If the die shows 6-17, you will score a normal hit... 6+4 = 10 - 10 ThAC0 = Hits AC 0.
    If the die shows 18, 19, or 20, you score a critical.

The die showing 17 will give you a total of 21, but it won't be a natural roll, so you won't crit.

Now, let's say your buddy has a ThAC0 of 20, but a +6 to hit (+2 from 18 Dex, +2 from point blank range with a specialized bow, +1 from being an elf, +1 from a magic bow). He can only hit an AC of 0 when his total is 20; with a +6, the die will need to be 14 or higher. If he rolls an 18, his total is 24... he does not crit, because he needed 5 higher (25 or more) than the total necessary to hit.

In short, you never have more than a 15% chance to critical, and you only have that if you've got a good bonus above the ThAC0.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2024-02-23 at 03:58 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

You say that like its a bad thing.

Omg, casters are becoming glass cannons again and we have to take care our most vulnerable members are protected from harm.

Oh noooes what will we do.
    That would imply the rest would be able to protect them from harm.

Not happening with that houserule.

20. - Top - End - #20

Hope you like Exploding PCs because that's what is going to happen. Change like this is significant in favor of the things the PCs fight thru volume of attacks. Not that some lethality in the bubble wrapped world 5e would be bad
    Last edited by Leon; 2024-02-23 at 05:52 PM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I could see using something like that on the player side. So, a nat20 is auto hit but not necessarily crit, and AC+X is a crit.

I'd probably do something different for the monster side of the equation. Either keep it per the book, or perhaps grant all armor a natural Damage Reduction equal to their [AC Bonus - 10]. So, Plate grants 8 DR; Padded grants 1. Then a crit bypasses this native DR of armor - I'll let others decide if dice should also be doubled, or crit just bypasses DR with no additional damage.

Magic should also increase the DR (so +2 Plate is DR 10. Mage Armor is DR 3). I don't think shields should be included in the calculation, though I do like the idea of sacrificing a shield to negate a crit (I think that's from 13th Age?). HAM isn't bypassed though - except by magical attacks, obviously. Feats shouldn't be easily negated by base homebrew rules.
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2024-02-23 at 05:55 PM.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

You would want to implement a full "degrees of success/failure" system for this, like Savage Worlds or Mutants and Masterminds. It's fairly hard to convert an existing system to use this because it creates its own imbalances when you try to backport it to an existing one; this is part of why most spells feel so worthless in Pathfinder 2e. They tried to keep the same spell effects as 1e but shift them down based on degrees of failure...but have the same effects they used to have on a "normal success" be reserved for a critical success.

Not much point in casting a Fireball when ANY enemy can save for none.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Hope you like Exploding PCs because that's what is going to happen. Change like this is significant in favor of the things the PCs fight thru volume of attacks. Not that some lethality in the bubble wrapped world 5e would be bad
    Yhea, so the PCs wouldnt just assume fighting 20 low level soldiers to be a walk in the park.

Its just a different way to engage threats. Everyone is more fragile, people can die of a single lucky sword stroke or arrow. Players may consider combat to be a thing to avoid rather than "one of ten encounter balanced for a proper adventuring day".

But i am not saying ***my*** play sensibilities are the best. I just dislike certain aspect of dnd where hp inflation make battles a bit chonky and extended, so exploding dice would help increase the swings and make fights dramatic except "something balanced to be faced 10 times"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's also worth noting that there's a reason that competent RPGs which use a degrees of success system also have fundamentally different ways of "dealing damage" than D&D/Pathfinder do. Most of these systems have an attack roll, whereupon the defending player or enemy makes a saving throw to avoid damage. For everything, even standard melee attacks.

This inherently eliminates some of the swinginess.

25. - Top - End - #25

DrowGirl

PCs who are focused on AC will generally have between 20 and 23.
    In my experience, EVERY character has AC in the low to mid 20's (once reactions like shield are factored in). Weird table....maybe? But we actually have rules *against* the stacking of certain benefits: like using a ring of protection and +1 armor at the same time. And still, virtually every character, except barbarians, has 20+ AC (or the ability to raise it that high as needed).

This isn't high end optimization. It's just basic stuff. IMO, if you're rolling with 16 AC and you're not a barb (or a ranged character that can avoid being attacked at all)... Lol that's on you.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

While people are focusing on the PC side of things... keep in mind that monster AC tends to be surprisingly low.

Like, let's say that the party is fighting a Knight (which have unusually high AC for a CR 3 creature). They have an AC of 18 (20 when parrying), which might sound high... but it means that someone with a +5 to hit is going to crit on an 18+ (20 if they choose to parry). And, again, that's against an enemy with high AC. A Winter Wolf has ~50% more HP than the Knight in order to compensate for having an AC of 13 — with this rule in play, someone with a +6 to hit would crit on a 13+ — you're about as likely to crit them as you are to hit normally!

Is this a bad thing? I dunno! All I know is that it definitely changes up the combat math — the Winter Wolf goes from needing +50% HP to make up for having lower AC to needing +100% HP, so a lot of "meatbag" monsters are going to suddenly be much more fragile than they are historically.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

27. - Top - End - #27

Robed Wizards have Shield. The real victims are going to be those meat sack monsters with like 11 AC.

Also, it's easier to boost a single attack's accuracy than multiple, so it'll be pretty easy to, say, make even something as basic as a (tier 3) Fire Bolt crit for ~+17 damage.

Also makes stuff like Bless and Peace Cleric Bond and Bardic Inspiration and so forth generate crits in addition to everything else.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-23 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

In my experience, EVERY character has AC in the low to mid 20's (once reactions like shield are factored in). Weird table....maybe?
    As was established in the past, your table is very unusual, yes.

But we actually have rules *against* the stacking of certain benefits: like using a ring of protection and +1 armor at the same time. And still, virtually every character, except barbarians, has 20+ AC (or the ability to raise it that high as needed).

This isn't high end optimization. It's just basic stuff. IMO, if you're rolling with 16 AC and you're not a barb (or a ranged character that can avoid being attacked at all)... Lol that's on you.
    Having more than 20 AC is definitively optimization. Perhaps not high-end, but optimization still.

I guess your table doesn't have any DEX-based character? Or everyone got magic armor early on?

Also, ranged characters can't "avoid being attacked at all", usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    While people are focusing on the PC side of things... keep in mind that monster AC tends to be surprisingly low.

Like, let's say that the party is fighting a Knight (which have unusually high AC for a CR 3 creature). They have an AC of 18 (20 when parrying), which might sound high... but it means that someone with a +5 to hit is going to crit on an 18+ (20 if they choose to parry). And, again, that's against an enemy with high AC. A Winter Wolf has ~50% more HP than the Knight in order to compensate for having an AC of 13 — with this rule in play, someone with a +6 to hit would crit on a 13+ — you're about as likely to crit them as you are to hit normally!

Is this a bad thing? I dunno! All I know is that it definitely changes up the combat math — the Winter Wolf goes from needing +50% HP to make up for having lower AC to needing +100% HP, so a lot of "meatbag" monsters are going to suddenly be much more fragile than they are historically.
    Also true.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2024-02-23 at 09:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

DrowGirl

Having more than 20 AC is definitively optimization. Perhaps not high-end, but optimization still.
    Taking the defensive fighting style, and then getting a +1 shield around level 6 or 7? That's 22 right there, with plate. Isn't that just...basic?

I guess your table doesn't have any DEX-based character? Or everyone got magic armor early on?
    A few. Two bladesingers (each with 20ish AC when singing, plus shield). A couple of rogues, who have less AC - but they stay pretty far range. Not to say they don't get attacked at all, but they certainly get attacked a lot less - being 50, 60, 70 ft away will do that.

Also, ranged characters can't "avoid being attacked at all", usually.
    No they can't - but they can mitigate a lot. If a melee character is gonna get swung on 10 times, and there's a 20% chance they get hit with each attack, a ranged character with a 50% chance of getting hit can equal out to the same overall mitigation by "not being there" for 6 of the 10 hits. Frankly, that sounds about accurate. A melee character gets attacked 5 times for every 2 times a ranged character does.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Taking the defensive fighting style, and then getting a +1 shield around level 6 or 7? That's 22 right there, with plate. Isn't that just...basic?
    1) Getting a specific magic item is never "just basic".

2) Having both the fighting style and access to plate is limited to Fighters and Paladins, unless a feat is spent.

3) Going shield + Defense fighting style is certainly possible... but it is definitively focusing on AC rather than something else. A PC could prefer Great Weapon Fighting and a greatsword, for example.

The point is that you have to commit to have that king of AC.

A few. Two bladesingers (each with 20ish AC when singing, plus shield). A couple of rogues, who have less AC - but they stay pretty far range. Not to say they don't get attacked at all, but they certainly get attacked a lot less - being 50, 60, 70 ft away will do that.
    That requires having a battlefield that big, though

No they can't - but they can mitigate a lot. If a melee character is gonna get swung on 10 times, and there's a 20% chance they get hit with each attack, a ranged character with a 50% chance of getting hit can equal out to the same overall mitigation by "not being there" for 6 of the 10 hits. Frankly, that sounds about accurate. A melee character gets attacked 5 times for every 2 times a ranged character does.
    So you don't face a lot of foes with ranged options?