New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Favorite third-party source?

(sorry if this is the wrong thread, I don't know where it'd go)

What's your favorite third-party sourcebook? I've been looking for some good stuff, and I have a couple. I have the DndUnleashed The Elements and Beyond (downloaded it from https://www.dndunleashed.com/home/th...endium-release) and I have the Tome of Beasts III (Kobold Press) and they're both great! What are some of your favorites?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite third-party source?

TBH: none of them. There's enough material in the stuff WotC put out.

I do have the original Tome of Beasts and Monster Manual Expanded on my Roll20 DM account. I occasionally draw from them.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There are a couple volumes from Troll Lord that I really like. Amazing Adventures 5e brings the AA game (written to use the C&C Siege engine) to 5e. There are a lot of pulp/ "modern"-ish classes adapted for 5e mechanics, and all designed to use alongside fantasy/D&D classes. Great for cross-genre gaming!

There's also the 5e Player's Guide to Aihdre. Aihdre is C&C's "native" setting (but not baked-in by any means). The PGA5e adapts a lot of the Aihdre-specific material to 5e. And there are suggestions for bringing some 5e-isms into C&C.

Both very recommended!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I like Grim Hollow from Ghostfire gaming. I'm usually not into pessimistic apocalyptic miserable world games, but other people like them. Getting over myself looking into the game itself and not the world lore I find it makes for a fun interesting gothic horror game and does it better than Ravenloft. The Transformation System works well to allow players to play classic horror monsters without gimping yourself nor be uberpowerful, except perhaps for the Lich you don't necessarily have to be Evil. Unlike Call of Cthulhu you don't eventually go insane. You can play your character as normally as you would any other game, but it's gothic/classic horror, Dracula, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's actually encouraging to play Team Good Guys because you're the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

KB's eberron content is very extensive even if the player content is a little bit underdeveloped. With his books and blog it about the only turn key setting available.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I really enjoyed MCDM's Strongholds & Followers. Not because the mechanics or numbers were all that good: it just introduced a lot of much fresher ideas and game mechanics to play around with at a time when I felt like WotC source material was stagnating a bit.

I haven't used even a single thing from it verbatim, but I use it for brainstorming all the time. It's a great "flip through and take whatever looks cool" book.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

I've heard good things about Level up Advanced 5e from ENWorld. It has a number of things people have been asking for from the base game like a universal combat maneuver system, a selection new classes like the Herald and Adept, and a unique take on prestige classes called "synergy feats," which are essentially special feats that require a minimum number of levels in two different classes to unlock a set of scaling benefits.

If you want to check it out before buying, it has a SRD here.

Someone around here also had an impressive PDF collection of homebrew subclasses in their sig? I think? Unfortunately I can't find that listing, but maybe some kind soul will recall what I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I've heard good things about Level up Advanced 5e from ENWorld. It has a number of things people have been asking for from the base game like a universal combat maneuver system, a selection new classes like the Herald and Adept, and a unique take on prestige classes called "synergy feats," which are essentially special feats that require a minimum number of levels in two different classes to unlock a set of scaling benefits.

If you want to check it out before buying, it has a SRD here.

Someone around here also had an impressive PDF collection of homebrew subclasses in their sig? I think? Unfortunately I can't find that listing, but maybe some kind soul will recall what I'm talking about.
    Grod The Giant.

I think he has two, actually!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Grod The Giant.

I think he has two, actually!
    Not his unfortunately. I think it was a free homebrew compilation PDF rather than something for sale on DTRPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Its been a long time, but I used to be a big fan of Goodman Games - their Complete Guide to [Monster] series had some amazingly innovative takes on classic monsters. Only 3PP I've ever spent money on.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I use a lot of 3rd party 5e content. These are my favorites.

Almost everything from Kobold Press.

Runewild: a fey setting/source that is good on its own and is great when mixed with Witchlight.

The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying: uses the 5e engine but is not compatible with 5e D&D, it is it's own game.

Adventures in Rokugan: same as above, 5e engine not fully compatible, but some classes and races from D&D can be brought in judiciously. Races and classes from AiR can be used in D&D, but cannot be used to multiclass with core D&D classes.

It's new, but I am falling in love with the Humblewood setting, fully 5e, now available on D&DBeyond.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Not a huge fan. One of the points of 5e was to make it less-crunchy and complex. A5e does the opposite. And once you get into it, it really is a different game, not as compatible as advertised.

Just my $.02