New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Post Dungeon Event Ideas

Hey all! I am running a west marches campaign where players can have their characters go on little dungeon crawls during downtime to earn gold. I am looking for ideas for events that could happen to a party in a dungeon that I can put on a role table to see how it goes for them.

Examples:
    - someone is seriously injured
    - the party encounters a sentient monster
    - the party gets lost and ends up somewhere with a different CR
    - someone eats something they shouldn't have eaten
    - someone forgot to bring rations

Can you help me come up with more events like this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon Event Ideas

Isn't the whole point of such a campaign going on little dungeon crawls to earn gold :p

- poor haul (0.5X gold reward)
    - really good haul (2X gold reward)
    - complicated loot (the loot is something hard to sell; illicit substances, illegal weapons, blackmail materials on a powerful noble, etc)
    - magical item (instead of the usual lucre the PC's have found a magical item. Cursed / icky enough that no NPC will buy it, but potentially useful to a PC. But who gets it?)
    - magical malady (a PC is hit with something hard to remove but only mildly annoying a bit of ability drain on their main stat, a low level of persistent exhaustion, an odd smell that penalises sneaking and talking, the penalty clears up after a real dungeon crawl)
    - treasure map (But is it accurate)
    - vendor (the PC's found a vendor selling some specific item or items at a discount)
    I am rel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Dungeon Event Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    Isn't the whole point of such a campaign going on little dungeon crawls to earn gold :p

- poor haul (0.5X gold reward)
    - really good haul (2X gold reward)
    - complicated loot (the loot is something hard to sell; illicit substances, illegal weapons, blackmail materials on a powerful noble, etc)
    - magical item (instead of the usual lucre the PC's have found a magical item. Cursed / icky enough that no NPC will buy it, but potentially useful to a PC. But who gets it?)
    - magical malady (a PC is hit with something hard to remove but only mildly annoying a bit of ability drain on their main stat, a low level of persistent exhaustion, an odd smell that penalises sneaking and talking, the penalty clears up after a real dungeon crawl)
    - treasure map (But is it accurate)
    - vendor (the PC's found a vendor selling some specific item or items at a discount)
    lol yeah they do get to play out longer dungeon crawls, it's just a downtime thing. These are great suggestions, thanks!