New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What build should have been good, but wasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    This helps certainly, but that's like Grappling and Shoving to me. Slow isn't a defensive spell, it's a debuff you cast to help the party as a whole not boost your own defenses.
    Slow reduces the number of attacks you are subjected to. Multiattack, which crops up A Lot in Tier 2 and Tier 3, is thus nerfed hard. Fewer attacks on you is better defense, in terms of defense writ large.
    The slowed enemy gets an action or a bonus action and no reaction.
    That is good for the party defense. It also can (depending on the roll) delay the casting of an enemy spell. And it gives your enemy -2 AC. A good offense is part of a good defense ... there is more to defense, as you noted above, than just AC.
    I'm not sure at this point if any WotC stuff just lets you free pick a feat at level 1, I know a lot give you a restricted list and background specific ones, but if they doA Thri-kreen Fighter with a shield, chain, Defense, and Dual Wielder gets to 20. I also just find that imagery hilarious. 19 is super easy to do, 20 a bit harder early on, but if momentary boosts and shorter durations count then it's much easier thanks to Shield, Shield of Faith, Gift of the Metallic Dragon etc.
    That's nice.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-03-05 at 10:51 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. What difference does it make to players if the Warlock says "I'd like to take a SR, if possible." The DM decides if its reasonable, says yes or no, if yes, players take a minute to roll HD if they want and play goes on. No one is asking to take an actual hour long break in real time...
    I've personally run into players complaining about having to take a short rest.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm genuinely curious. On what grounds?
    Trollbait extraordinaire

4. - Top - End - #124

I'm genuinely curious. On what grounds?
    Most recently, we got our butts kicked each encounter. So we short rested after the 1st encounter, where 2 PCs were dropped. Then we short rested after the second encounter, where 1 PC was dropped and others took damage. Then at the third encounter where another PC dropped and we all took damage, one of the players insisted we not short rest because "we can't just short rest after every encounter".

And I said "we can't just wander into another encounter with hit points in the single digits either". Not everyone could spend HD, since they were already spent, so the player wanted to keep moving. I could spend HD, and so could 1 other, so we felt the need to rest. Thankfully we did because we were in for another tough encounter lol.

Another time one of the players didn't want to cut into their spell duration.

I don't run into it often, but I've seen it. Not sure if it happens regularly at other tables. But yeah, to your point, it's a DM call if it's even possible.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    It certainly depends, but yes.

The two cases where I’ve had it come up are: 1) RP reasons to move swiftly, or 2) spell duration reasons.

For the second, if I’ve just upcasted AoA, and used BoL to mitigate the damage taken, I don’t want to waste the next 59 minutes of duration on my 25 point damage shield that cost a 5th round slot.

In general, my current table is conservative with resources as we’re playing DotMM, so dungeon crawl with lots of encounters in the day, with no guarantee of successful SRs/LRs.; so it doesn’t come up often to repeatedly SR.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

No one is asking to take an actual hour long break in real time...
    C'mon, absolutely no one is suggesting that.

Narrative is supposed to matter as much as mechanics.
    What are the NPCs and enemies doing for the hour-long breaks the group keeps wanting to take? Why is the hostile territory so safe? People tend to treat a SR the way BG3 does: push a button, recover some stuff, and keep moving. But no, absolutely not. You've got a full hour of in-game time to roleplay and justify.
    Even if it only takes you two minutes to describe what everyone does for their hour, it's still an hour for the PCs.
    An hour in-game is a lot of time to justify being left alone, and it gets harder to justify if you need to do it multiple times in one stretch.
    Last edited by Schwann145; 2024-03-05 at 12:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Likewise, and because of (a) RP reasons to move swiftly; (b) the place we're in doesn't seem safe; or (c) while PC 1 is resting the others go into the village and that sometimes leads to a fight again, or get themselves spotted by a recurring enemy and that leads to a fight again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
    An hour in-game is a lot of time to justify being left alone, and it gets harder to justify if you need to do it multiple times in one stretch.
    And also, that.

I'm not saying this always happens, but it does happen often enough that the warlock should have been good, but wasn't.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2024-03-05 at 12:26 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Most recently, we got our butts kicked each encounter. So we short rested after the 1st encounter, where 2 PCs were dropped. Then we short rested after the second encounter, where 1 PC was dropped and others took damage. Then at the third encounter where another PC dropped and we all took damage, one of the players insisted we not short rest because "we can't just short rest after every encounter".

And I said "we can't just wander into another encounter with hit points in the single digits either". Not everyone could spend HD, since they were already spent, so the player wanted to keep moving. I could spend HD, and so could 1 other, so we felt the need to rest. Thankfully we did because we were in for another tough encounter lol.

Another time one of the players didn't want to cut into their spell duration.

I don't run into it often, but I've seen it. Not sure if it happens regularly at other tables. But yeah, to your point, it's a DM call if it's even possible.
    Well, yeah, if you're needing more than 2 SR in an adventure day, I'd say the DM is over-tuning the encounters and/or not giving the party sufficient consumables to compensate (if the party is sitting on 12 healing pots out of fear of not having them later, that's a different issue).

Spell durations is definitely a legit reason to not want to stop... though the DM has a few options available there as well. Personally, I think it was a mistake for 5E to continue with the absolute time limits of spells. It takes away a lot of mercurial nature of magic; magic shouldn't be like physics or chemistry. Following a formula; else the same spell should always deal the same damage at the same spell level. But I don't think a randomized amount of time is the answer either... just 'until the scene ends' would be sufficient. If resting is part of the scene, your spell would continue through the rest too. While that's all outside the scope of this discussion, the DM is in charge of time in his universe. If a spell has a duration longer than a minute, in general, I'm not tracking too closely, and I'd bet most DMs aren't ticking down the 600 rounds until your spell expires. If they're kinda jerky but want a dramatic effect, they'll state your spell ran out just before the next encounter (allowing you to recast it if possible, or utilize other tactics). If they're a bit kinder, they'll metagame a bit and let you know that your spell will run out before the next encounter, so you might as well SR if you'd like to.

I definitely think rests in general should be part of the session zero discussion, so everyone knows the expectations before being taken by surprise.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

C'mon, absolutely no one is suggesting that.

Narrative is supposed to matter as much as mechanics.
    What are the NPCs and enemies doing for the hour-long breaks the group keeps wanting to take? Why is the hostile territory so safe? People tend to treat a SR the way BG3 does: push a button, recover some stuff, and keep moving. But no, absolutely not. You've got a full hour of in-game time to roleplay and justify.
    Even if it only takes you two minutes to describe what everyone does for their hour, it's still an hour for the PCs.
    And that's 100% on the DM, not the players. I'm talking about why PLAYERS are balking at even asking for a short rest.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

10. - Top - End - #130

Well, yeah, if you're needing more than 2 SR in an adventure day, I'd say the DM is over-tuning the encounters and/or not giving the party sufficient consumables to compensate (if the party is sitting on 12 healing pots out of fear of not having them later, that's a different issue).
    In this case, we are level 3, and the first encounter resulted in 2 crits that downed 2 characters immediately. The second encounter I attribute to poor tactics on our part, and so we went into the third encounter not fully recovered and wound up needed healing afterwards. Potions covered us a little but we still needed to heal up.

We are still on that "day" of the game lol, having had six encounters in total and now getting ready to rest for the night. We did the other three encounters without resting in between, so I think those crits and the poorer tactics in the first two encounters really made the difference.
    Spell durations is definitely a legit reason to not want to stop... though the DM has a few options available there as well. Personally, I think it was a mistake for 5E to continue with the absolute time limits of spells. It takes away a lot of mercurial nature of magic; magic shouldn't be like physics or chemistry. Following a formula; else the same spell should always deal the same damage at the same spell level. But I don't think a randomized amount of time is the answer either... just 'until the scene ends' would be sufficient. If resting is part of the scene, your spell would continue through the rest too. While that's all outside the scope of this discussion, the DM is in charge of time in his universe. If a spell has a duration longer than a minute, in general, I'm not tracking too closely, and I'd bet most DMs aren't ticking down the 600 rounds until your spell expires. If they're kinda jerky but want a dramatic effect, they'll state your spell ran out just before the next encounter (allowing you to recast it if possible, or utilize other tactics). If they're a bit kinder, they'll metagame a bit and let you know that your spell will run out before the next encounter, so you might as well SR if you'd like to.
    Yeah when someone pops an hour long spell it kind of draws a line in the sand for short rests.
    I definitely think rests in general should be part of the session zero discussion, so everyone knows the expectations before being taken by surprise.
    Probably a good idea.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Yikes, cruel dice can certainly make a difference... reminds me of a campaign, we were supposed to explore some ancient tomb, but the primary entrance was guarded by a pair of significantly higher CR critters than we could handle (would ping deep purple in a MMORPG). We didn't know (until well after the fact) that there was a side entrance that was trapped, but otherwise free of danger. We ran in three times, trying different tactics to get past or through the guards, and it just never happened. After a couple PC deaths, we abandoned the quest (and the bodies) and decided to ply our trade in a different part of the world.

If the players were just a smidge more stubborn, we would have all ended up rolling new characters.

I hope your LR is uneventful and the party ultimately successful. You can't get crit all the time, right? Right!?!
    Trollbait extraordinaire

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Part of it is player choices. The above-mentioned tactical issues are one thing, luck of the dice are another. A DM can have a well-balanced set of encounters for the day that goes sideways for a number of issues. Just like a hard encounter can become easy with some good strategies or lucky PC rolls.

A good DM tries to roll with how the day is going. Smart players will manage resources well (though it only goes so far).

In terms of the Hexblade discussion (and Warlocks in general), EB blasters work because they always have EB to fall back on, and slots can be strategically used but aren’t necessary to function. However, if your build requires a certain spell (like Shadow of Moil for melee Hexblades) to function, then you’re bound by SRs, as opposed to using them as intended, a strategic break.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Hmm... seems to me, if you're dead-set on using spells to augment your melee capability, like with shadow of moil, if you have the option, MCing into Sorcerer would be the better option, no?

Granted, that's going to be a very long buildup, at least to the point where you're able to use Sorcerer spell slots to cast SoM. But if you've gone to 7th level to grab SoM on your Warlock, you then have choices... go to 9th for 5th level slots? Go to 11th for your 3rd Warlock slot? Do you stay pure Warlock until you get all the bennies you're looking for, or do you get to 3rd, for darkness and Devil's Sight and play the darkness game while climbing up the Sorcerer levels until you get at least metamagic at 3rd, using Sorcery to augment your combat?

Do you stay Warlock until 5th, so you can grab the last of the 'necessary' Invocations for your melee build, then switch to Sorcerer?

Either way, once you've gained 7th level Sorcerer and Warlock, you can cast SoM as many times as you have slots, and sorcery points to create new 4th level slots... Though not having been lucky enough to play up to 14th level, I don't have non-white room knowledge of how useful that would be.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

14. - Top - End - #134

Yikes, cruel dice can certainly make a difference... reminds me of a campaign, we were supposed to explore some ancient tomb, but the primary entrance was guarded by a pair of significantly higher CR critters than we could handle (would ping deep purple in a MMORPG). We didn't know (until well after the fact) that there was a side entrance that was trapped, but otherwise free of danger. We ran in three times, trying different tactics to get past or through the guards, and it just never happened. After a couple PC deaths, we abandoned the quest (and the bodies) and decided to ply our trade in a different part of the world.

If the players were just a smidge more stubborn, we would have all ended up rolling new characters.

I hope your LR is uneventful and the party ultimately successful. You can't get crit all the time, right? Right!?!
    Lol, yeah player actions are a big part of it.

In the second encounter, we were just fighting a pack of wolves and two dire wolves. Everyone in the party provoked opportunity attacks (w/ Advantage from Pack Tactics). It was brutal, we were giving up HP like crazy. Afterwards, we tried to be more cautious. Later tactics saw an encounter sort of get wrapped up by the DM because our strategy would result in winning with little risk to ourselves, and after that we pursued some gargoyles that were ambushing us during our other encounters; we dealt them some damage before they escaped, so that when they popped up again, we killed them more easily and the encounter was not as dangerous as it was intended.

So hopefully we're learning

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So hopefully we're learning
    CoS?

Spoiler: CoS spoilers
    Show
    Reminds me of my first playthrough. I was a life cleric and got bowled over by wolves during a certain druidic ritual. Half the party was down, our ranger was off to the side, atop a standing stone when he got hit with a bolt of lightning. Our tank, a paladin was fading quickly already having blown his LoH, and I was rolling death saves (the pally tried to get to me, but kept getting blocked by a persistent wolf. On my turn, with a 2:1 death count, I rolled a nat 20. I immediately used my Channel Divinity to grant everyone enough HP to wake up and then cast Mass Healing Word. Turned the tide bolstering the party. Was epic.

We also learned that day to be far more cautious traipsing across the countryside. I think it was also the reason we ultimately convinced Tatyana to marry Strahd... anything to avoid getting mauled by wolves again.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

16. - Top - End - #136

BardGuy

Hmm... seems to me, if you're dead-set on using spells to augment your melee capability, like with shadow of moil, if you have the option, MCing into Sorcerer would be the better option, no?
    Every gish is expected and designed to use their casting to augment their melee; that's what makes them a gish.
    If Warlock struggles with this and the best advice is, "maybe multiclass into a better spellcaster," then we get back to my earlier point: we should stop billing the class as a spellcaster. The class description should be rewritten to really hammer home that you're a cantrip spammer and invocation user, with tertiary spell support.
    Last edited by Schwann145; 2024-03-05 at 03:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Every gish is expected and designed to use their casting to augment their melee; that's what makes them a gish.
    If Warlock struggles with this and the best advice is, "maybe multiclass into a better spellcaster," then we get back to my earlier point: we should stop billing the class as a spellcaster. The class description should be rewritten to really hammer home that you're a cantrip spammer and invocation user, with tertiary spell support.
    I'm not aware that the game actually bills warlocks as equivalent to full casters in any way.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #138

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I'm not aware that the game actually bills warlocks as equivalent to full casters in any way.
    The game doesn't, the community does.
    (The game doesn't make those distinctions for any class.)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Come now, a wizard who can use Arcane Recovery once per day is not a "short rest character".

I'll grant that fighters with superiority dice are another character that wants lots of short rests; but rather than propping up the warlock, this means that nobody (at least in my area) plays this kind of fighter, either. Which is too bad because I find it a really fun mechanic.

So the clear difference here is that other characters can benefit from a short rest, whereas warlocks (and sup.dice fighters) require frequent short rests to function effectively.
    I really think that is a local problem

As a DM I always have short rest options available at some time in the day. There might be some cost to taking it and pushing hard to take one at a bad time might be risky but short rests are very much part of the game to me

I expect the same as a player

There are several short rest classes and there are short rest resources for many of what you might consider long rest classes. But crucially there are hit dice and anyone who just took a beating should want to use hit dice.

A lot of the alleged imbalances in the game (at the levels where nearly all play takes place) come from poor handling of rests by DMs.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground

This thread went from "which subclasses are good on paper and bad in practice" to "why hexblades suck/don't suck". Give it a rest, it's ok to have difference experiences of the same product.

To answer OP I am going to say Samurai Fighter.

Samurai gives you a big nova and risible tHP, and then you're basically a Champion with worse crit range.
    I wrote a lil' guide on how to build an archer in D&D 5e here (WIP).
    How to build your Polearm Master Ranger.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tokek View Post
    I really think that is a local problem
    Please note,

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yes, that. The problem with warlocks is not whether their AC should be 19 or 20 or (gasp!) 21; the problem is that in some campaigns you can only rarely get a short rest. While I'm sure this depends on the DM a lot, in pretty much every 5E game I've played in, we pretty much never had "at least one but less than eight" hours of spare time.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

22. - Top - End - #142

For the record, the warlock I mentioned above was a fiend warlock with pact of the blade, using a houserule to allow charisma to attacks and damage with pact of the blade.

Still, two slots are not enough.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

For the record, the warlock I mentioned above was a fiend warlock with pact of the blade, using a houserule to allow charisma to attacks and damage with pact of the blade.

Still, two slots are not enough.
    I slightly agree. I think they should get the 3rd slot at 9th level. I've played a couple of warlock characters and they do feel a bit underpowered at that level 9-10 point

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Or, and here's a radical idea... stop calling the Warlock (of any flavor) a gish?
    Trollbait extraordinaire

25. - Top - End - #145

Or, and here's a radical idea... stop calling the Warlock (of any flavor) a gish?
    This may be the solution.

However, as someone who is not familiar with casters, enjoys playing martials, and sees that there is a brand of warlock that gets a weapon proficiency, temporary hit points, and smites, what should be my expectations when I go that route?

It's not a gotcha question, I'm curious about what the intention is vs what I expected. (And candidly, I'm not even sure what exactly I expected, only that I was a bit disappointed.)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

In the classical Githyanki sense, Warlocks aren't close to what they were. Even with the trappings (pun slightly intended) of spells, Warlocks don't play well in the mindspace that traditional non-Gith Gish exist in. Eldritch Smite is a very pale cousin to Divine Smite, both in height (damage) and width (number of uses).

I still contend that a pure Warlock Hexblade build is a switch hitter skirmisher. You start with EBs as you move up, letting your tank (Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian, Moonie) move up faster (double speed into melee, typically). After a round or two of EB spam, you roll into a flanking position (whether the DMG advantage kind, or just regular hammer and anvil kind), pulling out / summoning your weapon and going to town. Once you take out the target, you move off again, EBing as you soften up your target and your tank gets into position.

Depending on the rest of the party composition, you're either flanking with your tank the whole fight, or start skirmishing around taking out the enemy ranged units with your (more than likely) superior damage and range. Your AC is better than a non-Hexblade thanks to your medium armor, so provided you're not going up against the big bad with the higher than average To Hit, you should be very reliable in taking out flanking units, ranged units and other annoyances. If you end up getting run up on by a melee type who thinKs you're a squishy caster, your martial prowess will quickly disabuse them of that notion.

As for your actual spells, AoA helps both defensively with tHP and offensively with thorns. Hex isn't horrible, and will last all day, allowing you to rest and get back the slot by 5th level. Shield is also decent for keeping you up and running, but between AoA and Shield, I'd go with the former nearly every time.

If you find yourself in a party without a tank (hopefully something discovered in session zero so you can easily change focus) I wouldn't try to build the Warlock into a primary melee tank. I'd just roll something that will excel in that position. Either a Paladin if smiting is something you want to explore, or EK if casting was your draw to Warlock, or Rune Knight if you just want to hold your ground.
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2024-03-05 at 05:50 PM.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

27. - Top - End - #147

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tokek View Post
    I slightly agree. I think they should get the 3rd slot at 9th level. I've played a couple of warlock characters and they do feel a bit underpowered at that level 9-10 point
    Honestly, IMO, I don't think you'd break anything by literally doubling the slots available across the board for Warlock. They'd still be far behind the real casters and it would be a reasonable bump for a class that is historically low-powered (evidenced by the near constant suggestions that sticking with Warlock single-class for the long haul is generally considered a bad idea.)

But that would be dishonest.
    The Warlock isn't a gish, but the Hexblade absolutely is. Much in the same way that the Fighter isn't a gish but the Eldritch Knight is, and the Wizard isn't a gish but the Bladesinger is.
    (Edit: Unless you insist on the historical definition of "gish," in which case *nobody* qualifies, lol.)

I don't think anyone is suggesting that "Warlock" is a gish, but suggesting that Hexblade isn't is... just inaccurate.
    Last edited by Schwann145; 2024-03-05 at 06:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I saaw ye olde 'Hit Die size doesn't matter it's a rounding error' so I'm contractually obligated to add HD does matter in actual gameplay. Hit points matter and are the most thorough defense against death.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Slow reduces the number of attacks you are subjected to. Multiattack, which crops up A Lot in Tier 2 and Tier 3, is thus nerfed hard. Fewer attacks on you is better defense, in terms of defense writ large.
    The slowed enemy gets an action or a bonus action and no reaction.
    That is good for the party defense. It also can (depending on the roll) delay the casting of an enemy spell. And it gives your enemy -2 AC. A good offense is part of a good defense ... there is more to defense, as you noted above, than just AC.
    Oh I'm not debating that enemies being Slowed is good for the health of the PC and the team.

It's just me classifying features/spells. Slow is a debuff/crowd control, as opposed to something that is directly a defensive option, like buffing AC, forcing rerolls, giving resistance/damage reduction etc. One notable difference here is reliability, putting a defense into play just works (for the most part), like healing.

Similarly, Haste boosts AC, but I consider it generally 'a buff' not a defensive spell, even though it unequivocally increases a PC's defenses at the same time.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I saaw ye olde 'Hit Die size doesn't matter it's a rounding error' so I'm contractually obligated to add HD does matter in actual gameplay. Hit points matter and are the most thorough defense against death.

Oh I'm not debating that enemies being Slowed is good for the health of the PC and the team.

It's just me classifying features/spells. Slow is a debuff/crowd control, as opposed to something that is directly a defensive option, like buffing AC, forcing rerolls, giving resistance/damage reduction etc. One notable difference here is reliability, putting a defense into play just works (for the most part), like healing.

Similarly, Haste boosts AC, but I consider it generally 'a buff' not a defensive spell, even though it unequivocally increases a PC's defenses at the same time.
    We are in violent agreement. What is wrong with us?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Honestly, IMO, I don't think you'd break anything by literally doubling the slots available across the board for Warlock. They'd still be far behind the real casters and it would be a reasonable bump for a class that is historically low-powered (evidenced by the near constant suggestions that sticking with Warlock single-class for the long haul is generally considered a bad idea.)

But that would be dishonest.
    The Warlock isn't a gish, but the Hexblade absolutely is. Much in the same way that the Fighter isn't a gish but the Eldritch Knight is, and the Wizard isn't a gish but the Bladesinger is.
    (Edit: Unless you insist on the historical definition of "gish," in which case *nobody* qualifies, lol.)

I don't think anyone is suggesting that "Warlock" is a gish, but suggesting that Hexblade isn't is... just inaccurate.
    I disagree. The hexblade is not a gish because the warlock is not a full caster, or even a half caster. It can bridge the gap between the caster and melee parts really well, but doesn't bring the magic to be a gish on its own.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”