New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Reality check on a werebadger berserker cookie cutter build

Greetings fellow hive minds

After finishing saturdya campaign, I'm brainstorming my next character with that group. My latest go was a party buffer bard/war weaver/sublime chord, campaign ended at 12th level

for this next one, I want to relax with some simple melee toon and not having to worry too much about what to do in my turn.

Houserules in effect:

you charge a square not a creature, and movement done during charge doesn't provoke AoO
    Entering a threatened square provokes, not only exiting ( an enemy going from threatened to threatened provokes only once )
    fumble tables on attack rolls, exploding criticals but only on the natural range
    everything is multiplied on a crit
    3.0 style DR for boss monster ( the end of campaign one was a lich with DR 30/+3, we didn't have any weapon that bypassed it )
    weapon qualities cost the flat value of +1 / +2 /+3 etcetera, rather than increasing the relative enhancement budget of the weapon ( a +1 frost flaming shock weapon costs only 8000 total, rather as a +4 weapon), total enhancement still limited to +5
    Increasing INT with level up will retroactively grant extra skill ranks equal to (new)HD-1 if we reach a new modifier
    "weapons" are "any kind of effect with an attack and damage roll" (meaning inspire courage bonuses apply to scorching ray to name an example, or to cure serious wounds potions thrown at a lich, yes, that's how we killed the lich)

rulings:
    we can do LA buyoff.
    open X chakra feats do NOT grant a bind
    we're not limited to 1st level manouvers/stances if we take an initiator class at higher character level
    unarmed swordsage grants improved unarmed strike as a bonus feat
    fractional BAB, but not fractional saves
    starting levle is exactly enough experience for 8th level, before LA

So, I wanted to play around with bear warrior trasformation, and tie it in some "no uses per day" rages, I've ended up going for a werebadger (inflicted)
    I initially did it with the animal HD included, but when I presented it to the GM he told me I could drop the animal HD. I'm therefore starting as 6th level with 1LA

Worldbuildingwise, we're going to be normal magic item abudance, but no magic mart. (it's going to be inspired by stargate SG1, we're starting out as slaves of the Goual'd, magic items will be bestowed to us as rewards)

what I got so far :
    Rolled ability scores
    13 17 15 11 13 11

going to play as a lesser chaond (+4 DEX +2 CON -2 CHA )
    werebadger ability score : +6 DEX +4 CON +2 CHA
    bonus feats between race and template: iron will, track, weapon finesse

build :
    1 Totemist 1 feat: cobalt charge. soulmelds: wormtail belt, girallon arms, flavor third
    2 totemist 2 binding girallon arms ( attack profile of 3 primary claws, 3 secondary claws, 1 secondary bite)
    3 survivalist hit-and-run fighter 1 feat snow tiger berserker; bonus feat great fortitude
    4 fighter 2 bonus feat power attack
    5 swordsage 1 bonus feat improved unarmed strike (maneuvers: cloak of deception, mountain hammer, emeral razor, moment of perfect mind, sudden leap, rabid wolf strike. Stance Step of the wind)
    6 fist of the forest 1 feat combat reflexes
    7 warshaper 1 (no abuse of morphic weapons)
    8 warblade 1 (manouvers: wall of blades, iron heart surge, leading the charge, stance absolute steel)
    9 warshaper 2 feat ironheart aura
    10 warshaper 3
    11 warshaper 4
    12 bear warrior 1 feat stormguard warrior
    13 bear warrior 2
    14 bear warrior 3
    15 bear warrior 4 feat robilar gambit
    16 bear warrior 5
    17 umbral disciple 1
    18 umbral disciple 2 feat (martial study white raven tactics)
    19 umbral disciple 3
    20 swordsage 3

I expect to not go higher than level 14, so keep that in mind.

So...
    # run of the mill full attack on charge
    # mostly swift or immediate action maneuvers
    # cobalt charge to dump essentia in and forget about.
    # step of the wind to have the freedom to charge even in hostile enviroments.
    # precious critical protection from warshaper
    # a way to "make big numbers" for the DR with stormguard warrior

I think I've refined most of what I wanted, I'd like some feedback and maybe alternative stuff I could do.
    Feats I'm most unsure about: cobalt charge and cobalt reflexes+robilar gambit

I like the gimmick of being an afflicted mellivoranthrope, I plan to stay in hybrid form most of the time, meaning no rage. But every 25% HP lost I would have to make a contorl form check to not have a forced trasformation, I plan to voluntarily fail that check, and go badger (and later, bear) as a conseguence of that damage.

Is there something more I can do to build on that gimmick? my go-to for that kind of gimmick would be mounted fury to also trasform whatever moutn I have into a bear, but having a mount in this world context is vaguely wishy washy.

I'd like to try to move stormguard warrior up to the 9th level, but that seems impossible to do while still obtaining 3rd level warblade maneuvers

Rest of the party will be : raging ACF druid, sorcerer of some kind, paladin of freedom
    Last edited by ciopo; 2024-03-04 at 09:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Reality check on a werebadger berserker cookie cutter build

So you get so angry that you turn into a badger, which makes you angry, which in turn makes you turn into a bear. I can't speak for the rest of it, but you definitely have Rule of Cool covered.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics