New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Is there a class your eager to try out in the new rules?

Whether you agree or disagree with the new rules and playsets, is there a class your looking forward to trying out with newish rules. Assuming we know most od the changes thar will be made give or take.

I love sorcs and rangers and would love to try them again with the updated class perks. Especially sorceror.
    It's a pity divine soul isn't part of the initial books bur you can pretty easily just slip the old subclass bonuses in

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Is there a class your eager to try out in the new rules?

Yes, berserker, battlemaster, all of the rogue ones. Warlock with pact of the tome seems interesting. The wizard with spellcrafting seems interesting. I want to see sorcerer who's build is not dominated by twinning certain spells but is instead just competent in general and not lacking too much in spells known.
    I want to try out the new ranger.
    I want to try the new monk. I've seen it in action in TM's one-shot and it performed really well.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

To be honest, all of them, and none of them. As much as I'm eager to see them ready, I'm still quite fond of the current versions as well.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Not really.
    Nothing presented has been particularly exciting.
    But then, I'm not a huge fan of D&D's design direction overall. Too much gamism and dumbing everything down for lazy and/or chronically casual player sales.

I suppose, gun to my head, Rogue looks the most interesting with its more proactive ability choices.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

I'm most looking forward to trying out the new Monk, but also really looking forward to the Warlock; I'm playing a Warlock in my current game, and I would love to have some of the playtest features to play with now.

Looking forward to having the Rogue's cunning strike (is that what it's called? The new feature where they can trade damage dice from Sneak Attack for effects).

It's not unique to a particular class, but I'm also looking forward to playing around more with the weapon mastery rules.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Monk, because it's actually good now. I mean, I'm not saying it's bad now, but... well... it's not exactly the best.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    Monk, because it's actually good now. I mean, I'm not saying it's bad now, but... well... it's not exactly the best.
    So it's better now

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Not really.
    Nothing presented has been particularly exciting.
    Sums up my feeling.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elemental Monk - Overall, monk seems to be in a much better place, and this subclass has a pretty interesting loadout with variable damage, reach, extra mobility, etc.

GOO Warlock - Enchantment and Illusion spells invisible and silent! Mimes are followers of the Great Old Ones!

Eldritch Knight Fighter - Better blend of the fighter chassis and spellcasting.

I'm also curious how the new Sorc. spells wind up.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by earthseawizard View Post
    So it's better now
    Okay, I guess that makes sense. I wonder, would Sun Soul Monk work with the new rules? Because that's my favorite subclass.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Berserker Barb
    Rogue
    Wild Magic Sorc
    Paladin (IF, and only IF, they don't make smite a spell)

About the only thing I'm not too fond of, besides the Divine Smite thing, is Weapon Mastery. I mean, it's ok. But I feel like they could have done so much better with it.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Not particularly. I’m not even sure I like most of the classes better in 24 than 14.

The one big hope I have at the moment is that the rules changes will balance everything a bit better - but that’s more of a wait and see how the entire product works together.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

All of them, but the martials especially. Weapon Mastery is... okay (I hope they add more options for it later) but the other stuff is what I'm really excited for:

Fighter - New Second Wind, New Indomitable, Tactical Mind/Shift, whatever the 4th subclass will be
    Barbarian - New Berserker, World Tree, Wildheart, everything that replaced Brutal Critical
    Rogue - Cunning Strike!
    Monk - Everything

As far as the casters I'm most excited for Sorcerer having an actually decent number of spells known now, as well as the "magical rage" feature they get now whose name escapes me.

Least excited for is Moon Druid, if it goes to print as is I don't see myself playing one, I'll just wait until they fix it with templates in Tasha 2.0 like they did with Beastmaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    As far as the casters I'm most excited for Sorcerer having an actually decent number of spells known now, as well as the "magical rage" feature they get now whose name escapes me.
    Innate Sorcery, if I recall. I'm also quite excited to try out the 2024 Sorc. Just waiting to see what will happen with the overall book.

Tangentially related: I'm excited to try out the starry wisp cantrip, assuming it goes to print as well.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Nope. I've read all the UA/test stuff and they failed to interest me. And I'm no longer silly enough to spend money on a version I don't think I'll play (like I did with 4e).
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Not especially. I like the majority of changes individually, particularly for the fighter, barb, rogue, and monk, but I have an intuition that multiclass combinations are being "ironed out." I.e., eliminating synergies that would allow characters to do things beyond what is precisely conceived of by the developers. Building thematic characters is my entire interest in the mechanics of the game, so take that away and it's a big meh from me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Honestly, nearly all of them have grabbed me in some manner. I'll struggle to make a top 3 list:

1) WARLOCK
    I love my gishes. The new warlock does that amazingly. Some awesome benefits are:
    - Casting stat attack rolled into Pact of the Blade (efficient gishing!)
    - Pact of the Blade weapon can be summoned faster, and you can switch. This might be the first edition I can truly create a versatile weapon summoner...! (That doesn't suck, looking at you 3.5 Soulknife.)
    - Archfey Pact. Everything about it. A gish is the character concept I'm most drawn to, and a teleporting gish is one of the subconcepts there that I enjoy the most. Love at first sight.
    - Celestial Pact. Another subconcept I love is light theming - which this has in droves. This is less about the subclass (it hasn't had many changes) and more about the new True Strike cantrip, and new Agonizing Blast (you pick the cantrip it applies to.) These two together can give you a radiant spell-blade strike with a ton of mods to it. (I count casting stat*3.)

2) MONK
    The new monk is great. It's a solid battlefield skirmisher and tank, able to dodge tank and deal out hefty damage with strong mobility, with Discipline Points allowing you to modulate what bits you focus on during the fight. It's like a gish, but with a smaller suite of strong core abilities, controlled by Discipline Points rather than spell slots.

My only lament here is that we're not getting kensei yet - but I've halfway convinced myself on a Mercy Monk.

3) SORCERER
    This was a tough pick - either this or a Paladin. Paladin more received QOL adjustments and minor buffs, so Sorcerer won out from its magic rage. Getting more spells is pretty cool too, I might be able to play subclasses that aren't from Tasha's! I could easily see myself doing a 1-20 Sorcerer gish here.

Though I just remembered that they fixed the Smite spells! They can now be activated on a hit rather than predicting and burning concentration. Along with the QOL adjustments, Paladin is a very strong contender.
    _____
    There is one point general to make - they've succeeded in making 1-20 builds look great, and not by nerfing multiclassing - but uplifting each class' higher level features. All of my theorycrafted builds are full classed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Nope. I've read all the UA/test stuff and they failed to interest me. And I'm no longer silly enough to spend money on a version I don't think I'll play (like I did with 4e).
    +10; If someone near where we live will run a game, I'll get the PHB and play something. Not gonna DM this new edition.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    Okay, I guess that makes sense. I wonder, would Sun Soul Monk work with the new rules? Because that's my favorite subclass.
    There isn't much. Radiant Sun Bolt benefits from the Martial Arts die increase; the other features don't interact much with the Sun Soul features at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon343 View Post
    1) WARLOCK
    I love my gishes. The new warlock does that amazingly. Some awesome benefits are:
    - Pact of the Blade weapon can be summoned faster, and you can switch. This might be the first edition I can truly create a versatile weapon summoner...! (That doesn't suck, looking at you 3.5 Soulknife.)
    - Archfey Pact. Everything about it. A gish is the character concept I'm most drawn to, and a teleporting gish is one of the subconcepts there that I enjoy the most. Love at first sight.
    - Celestial Pact. Another subconcept I love is light theming - which this has in droves. This is less about the subclass (it hasn't had many changes) and more about the new True Strike cantrip, and new Agonizing Blast (you pick the cantrip it applies to.) These two together can give you a radiant spell-blade strike with a ton of mods to it. (I count casting stat*3.)
    I'm excited to play an Archfey gish too! I think Pact of the Blade was waaaay overtuned in the latest UA though.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2024-03-07 at 10:21 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'm excited to play an Archfey gish too! I think Pact of the Blade was waaaay overtuned in the latest UA though.
    Oh, absolutely. If I recall correctly I even mentioned as much in my survey response - love everything about it, but a third attack at 11 is a bit too much.

____
    Separately (but related!), another thing that I'm excited for is the change to heavy weapons. There's no size restriction, they just require 13 Strength (melee) or 13 Dex (ranged) to not have disadvantage. This has a couple of bonuses:

1) Small characters can wield large weapons again.

2) It reigns in attacking with a casting stat, and encourages mixed builds without nerfing single stat focuses.

To use heavier dice (and ranged) weapons, you need an appropriately high physical stat - regardless of if you attack with your casting stat or not. So my mixed weapon character suddenly needs decent dex and str to get the most out of their high weapon variability, but if I decide not to go for that they're still effective - just slightly less so, in favour of bumping up other stats.

I've already found myself building more balanced characters stat wise to work with this, which personally makes for a better aesthetic of a hero - and it now has mechanical benefit.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Honestly, nearly all of them have grabbed me in some manner. I'll struggle to make a top 3 list:

1) WARLOCK

2) MONK
    The new monk is great. It's a solid battlefield skirmisher and tank, able to dodge tank and deal out hefty damage with strong mobility, with Discipline Points allowing you to modulate what bits you focus on during the fight. It's like a gish, but with a smaller suite of strong core abilities, controlled by Discipline Points rather than spell slots.

My only lament here is that we're not getting kensei yet - but I've halfway convinced myself on a Mercy Monk.

3) SORCERER
    This was a tough pick - either this or a Paladin. Paladin more received QOL adjustments and minor buffs, so Sorcerer won out from its magic rage. Getting more spells is pretty cool too, I might be able to play subclasses that aren't from Tasha's! I could easily see myself doing a 1-20 Sorcerer gish here.

Though I just remembered that they fixed the Smite spells! They can now be activated on a hit rather than predicting and burning concentration. Along with the QOL adjustments, Paladin is a very strong contender.
    _____
    There is one point general to make - they've succeeded in making 1-20 builds look great, and not by nerfing multiclassing - but uplifting each class' higher level features. All of my theorycrafted builds are full classed.
    I have to admit, this particular post is the kind of post I'd like to see more often regarding the upcoming changes. As it is, right now almost everything I see is people pouring all their negative feelings over the topic (not just this thread, but every threads discussing the upcoming changes), trying to somehow get even those that are waiting for them to start seeing things their way, even if they didn't agree. You know, by peer pressure.

To all grognards out there: If you have nothing positive to say, would it be possible to just stop participating? Sheesh...
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-03-08 at 07:15 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    To all grognards out there: If you have nothing positive to say, would it be possible to just stop participating? Sheesh...
    That's fair. And I will say, outside of my one major point of contention, I'm quite excited for pretty much everything we've seen in the 2024 PHB. Especially the Berserker Barbarian and the Sorcerer.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

I have to admit, this particular post is the kind of post I'd like to see more often regarding the upcoming changes. As it is, right now almost everything I see is people pouring all their negative feelings over the topic (not just this thread, but every threads discussing the upcoming changes), trying to somehow get even those that are waiting for them to start seeing things their way, even if they didn't agree. You know, by peer pressure.

In fairness
    Most of the responses in this thread specially have been limited to basicly "none have interested me that much" when that was their opinion.

But that's beside the point. 🙂 it's rather telling that a lot of the same classes have popped so far . But that could also just be limited sample size at work.

Monk is a class I wish I had acces to the changes to right now but likely won't be playing by the time it's released. Bur as someone who's playing a monk right now the changes that were introduced were, as the kids say , giving

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Opinions were asked for and I gave mine. I don't think not being excited by something makes you a grognard.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Sindal View Post
    . 🙂 it's rather telling that a lot of the same classes have popped so far . But that could also just be limited sample size at work.
    For a lot of the others, we either haven't seen their final form yet (bard, ranger, druid) or they haven't changed all that much (cleric, wizard). So it's understandable that the ones that took bigger swings like Monk, Rogue, Barbarian, Warlock, Sorcerer, and Fighter are more represented in a thread like this.

As for Paladin I'm honestly excited for that too. People keep saying how they want martials to do more than "I attack" and Paladin's revamped smite does that very well imo.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As for Paladin I'm honestly excited for that too. People keep saying how they want martials to do more than "I attack" and Paladin's revamped smite does that very well imo.
    I agree, with the caveat that the base Divine Smite should not be a spell. If they revert that one single part, I will be ecstatic, and 100% will buy the 2024 PHB.

Other than that, all the other stuff is really solid, I think. Sure, there's things I'd have done differently, but that's normal. Overall it's been pretty solid.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    I agree, with the caveat that the base Divine Smite should not be a spell. If they revert that one single part, I will be ecstatic, and 100% will buy the 2024 PHB.

Other than that, all the other stuff is really solid, I think. Sure, there's things I'd have done differently, but that's normal. Overall it's been pretty solid.
    Even if they made base DS not a spell, it would probably still take a bonus action; otherwise it would be stackable with the smite spells for a truly staggering amount of burst. Keep in mind that nearly all the smite spells are upcastable now too.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

You could also tack on Evocation Wizard 3 for half damage on misses, but that's a pretty hefty dip.

Related to this, I'm curious how the Graze Weapon Property (do ability mod damage on miss) and Evocation Wizard's Potent Cantrip will interact.

An Evocation Wizard 3/Fighter 2 with 16 int and a +1 Great Axe(Graze) would do 1d12 + 1 + 3 + 1d6 damage on a hit. On a miss, would they do (1d12 + 1 + 3 + 1d6)/2 + 3? Not optimal, just curious about various class interactions.

But yeah, FeyLock Gish looks wild with all the teleports.

Also, it amuses me that a GooLock w/ Pact of the Tome can cast Vicious Mockery with no Verbal Component. "My very existence mocks you"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I tend to play one, ideal build. The better version of Arcane Apotheosis woke me up to the possibility that perhaps the ideal class for my characters is sorcerer, rather than bard. Both have access to Wish, but if the sorcerer had the better version of Arcane Apotheosis, that would create a gap. WotC took away the better version, so it appears only clerics may be able to Wish for anything without losing Wish (via Greater Divine Intervention). I’m not ruling out the 5.5 cleric, but Plan A is to be a sorcerer and Wish for the better version of Arcane Apotheosis. Yes, the bard could do that, there’s a 1/3 chance of losing Wish, and there’s monkeypaw, but I feel like the sorcerer has a wrong that needs to be righted. And if I do go sorcerer and get the better version of Arcane Apotheosis, I’ll use it to try to switch out 5.5 Twinned with 5.0.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by lall View Post
    I tend to play one, ideal build. The better version of Arcane Apotheosis woke me up to the possibility that perhaps the ideal class for my characters is sorcerer, rather than bard. Both have access to Wish, but if the sorcerer had the better version of Arcane Apotheosis, that would create a gap. WotC took away the better version, so it appears only clerics may be able to Wish for anything without losing Wish (via Greater Divine Intervention). I’m not ruling out the 5.5 cleric, but Plan A is to be a sorcerer and Wish for the better version of Arcane Apotheosis. Yes, the bard could do that, there’s a 1/3 chance of losing Wish, and there’s monkeypaw, but I feel like the sorcerer has a wrong that needs to be righted. And if I do go sorcerer and get the better version of Arcane Apotheosis, I’ll use it to try to switch out 5.5 Twinned with 5.0.
    I have to admit, Wishing for the UA version of a feature is novel if nothing else
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy