New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Favorite subclass names?

So, what are your favorite subclass names? Not subclasses, just the names. I don't care if they're third-party/homebrew or not, what are they?

Personally, I feel like Ranger gets all the cool names. Look me in the (metaphorical) eyes and tell me with a straight face that Gloomstalker or Drakewarden isn't a cool name. Such a shame they aren't actually that good...

More cool names:
    Horizon Walker (I love the image it puts in my head)
    Monster Slayer (simple and sweet)
    Oath of Vengeance (vengeance is a fun word to say)
    Oathbreaker (sounds really cool)
    Eldritch Knight (eldritch is just so cool!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Favorite subclass names?

Swashbuckler is my favorite name, despite the subclass not living up to it (it's a great subclass, just doesn't work well with a buckler...)

Alchemist is the most evocative for me. Attempting to codify magic through experimentation and rote learning.

Circle of Spores is the one that encapsulates an important aspect of the circle of life: recycling dead matter to make new life. The fact that you can lean into the death/evil aspect or the rebirth/rejuvenation of life aspect (or both as a more balanced viewpoint) is really cool.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Gloom Stalker

The Celestial

Arcane Trickster

Rune Knight

That's about it, for cool sub class names.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

I dunno I think most of Monk subclass names are pretty cool. (way of the) Astral Self, Drunken Master, Ascendent Dragon, Sun Soul, Four Elements, Long Death.

Wildfire Druid is probably my fav druid subclass name.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    Swashbuckler is my favorite name, despite the subclass not living up to it (it's a great subclass, just doesn't work well with a buckler...)

Alchemist is the most evocative for me. Attempting to codify magic through experimentation and rote learning.

Circle of Spores is the one that encapsulates an important aspect of the circle of life: recycling dead matter to make new life. The fact that you can lean into the death/evil aspect or the rebirth/rejuvenation of life aspect (or both as a more balanced viewpoint) is really cool.
    The term swashbuckler actually refers to their sword belts (swashes) and the large buckles for said belts.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Path of the Beast

College of Creation
    College of Whispers

Grave Domain

Circle of Dreams
    Circle of Stars

Way of Mercy
    Way of the Open Hand
    Way of the Long Death

Oath of the Watchers
    Oath of Conquest
    Oath of Glory

Drakewarden
    Swarmkeeper

Phantom
    Mastermind

The Fathomless
    The Undying
    The Great Old One

Chronurgy Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Most names just seem like, "duh" descriptions to me. A few do stand out though. Stuff like:

Horizon Walker
    Way of the Long Death
    Etc.

Stuff that's more evocative and poetic even. Something like "swarmkeeper" for the subclass that keeps swarms is just too on-the-nose, lol.

Though I will say there's one subclass name that actively bugs me, pedantically: Eldritch Knight. There's absolutely nothing "eldritch" going on here! Should've been "arcane" ;P

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
    Though I will say there's one subclass name that actively bugs me, pedantically: Eldritch Knight. There's absolutely nothing "eldritch" going on here! Should've been "arcane" ;P
    This. So much this.
    I really need a new avatar. Nah, I'm good.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Rune Knight

Echo Knight

Champion. I just love the image the word "Champion" provokes - I love the idea of a potentially tragic hero who fights the good fight no matter what. It isn't about chance of success, it's about doing the thing, even if the cause is lost. Tis a shame the class is lame lol (would've loved a class built around fighting harder the more hurt they get, and generally coming through in the clutch)

One weird naming convention - some classes have uniform subclass names, like "Path of the X" or "Oath of X." This to me reaffirms that the class is still barbarian or paladin, just a slightly different flavor. In contrast, the classes with no naming convention have more distance between them. I.e., that's not a rogue, that's a soul knife.

So...I like the fighter, rogue, sorcerer, and ranger subclass names lol. Artificers are solid too. The uniform subclass names are a lot less interesting.