New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Rooster Teeth shuts down after21 years

Surprised to not see a single mention here, probably because of server troubles, but it was announced today that all 200 employees of Austin based Rooter Teeth are out of a job. Warner Brothers couldn't sell the streaming/media service and it was losing the money. The employees found out in a meeting 30 minutes before it was announced on social media. They're now looking to sell pieces of Rooster Teeth's IP. RWBY and Gen:LOCK were the two talked about but I imagine other bits are offered as well. RWBY probably has the highest chance of getting bought up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rooster Teeth shuts down after21 years

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Surprised to not see a single mention here, probably because of server troubles, but it was announced today that all 200 employees of Austin based Rooter Teeth are out of a job. Warner Brothers couldn't sell the streaming/media service and it was losing the money. The employees found out in a meeting 30 minutes before it was announced on social media. They're now looking to sell pieces of Rooster Teeth's IP. RWBY and Gen:LOCK were the two talked about but I imagine other bits are offered as well. RWBY probably has the highest chance of getting bought up.
    May RWBY finally find a home with people who can tell a story.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

So long, death battle. I'll miss how you made my friend unreasonably upset that dragon ball characters didn't win as much as he would have liked (see: always). I won't miss your characters, animations, or cringe writing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    So long, death battle. I'll miss how you made my friend unreasonably upset that dragon ball characters didn't win as much as he would have liked (see: always). I won't miss your characters, animations, or cringe writing.
    Eh, its kinda hard to win when the writers dont want you to. They have on-screen lied after all. But maybe this would be the kick in the pants needed for celebrity death match to return.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RWBY recently went through a somewhat bizarre collaboration with the Justice League as a two-part animated film (I've seen part one, it's much, much better than it has any right to be), which raises the possibility of it being acquired by DC. While the story and frankly whole world of Remnant is kind of bad and incoherent, a number of the characters have cool designs and are individually popular and might find a home in a larger franchise.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Meh... TBH, I'm surprised it even lasted this long.

To me, it feels like they should've been shut down at least 2 or 3 years ago. I guess WB had bigger issues to focus on.

I really don't feel like RT going under is much of a loss... Except to the ppl who lost their jobs, I suppose.
    Homebrew Stuff:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

This is how i learned the Red Vs Blue people got pretty big. Good for them.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #8

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    May RWBY finally find a home with people who can tell a story.
    I mean...the show has had awful writing since literally the first episode, not sure why anyone would expect it to get better. RWBY lived and died on Monty Oum's unique skill with machinima and fight choreography. That's it. That WAS the show.

When he died, so did any reason to watch it. That's not gonna change if the property changes hands.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-03-07 at 05:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I mean...the show has had awful writing since literally the first episode, not sure why anyone would expect it to get better. RWBY lived and died on Monty Oum's unique skill with machinima and fight choreography. That's it. That WAS the show.

When he died, so did any reason to watch it. That's not gonna change if the property changes hands.
    I've had this opinion for quite some time, and never understood any of the hype or fandom. Not to ever speak ill, or course.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it's speaking ill to just speak facts. Monty Oum was an extremely talented man. He was shockingly ahead of his time when it came to 3D animation, especially in terms of fighting and action. A lot of modern anime can still barely pull off fully 3D fight scenes as fluid and convincing as even some of his earliest work, like Haloid.

But that's where his talents lay. He was not a great narrative writer. Being a genius at one thing doesn't mean you're a genius at everything. It's alright to acknowledge that in my books.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-03-07 at 07:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

His writing wasn't BAD bad... But it was very... Basic.

The characters and fighting choreography were definitely what made the show. When Monty passed away, the show took a nosedive in quality. The animation got awful and the writing somehow got even worse... Worst of all: The show became downright boring (seasons 4 and 5 are some of the most boring seasons of anything I've ever seen).

In any case... Well, RT died because it simply wasn't making good content anymore. No one was watching it. I honestly believe the only reason RT lasted this long is the fact that WB was preoccupied with much bigger problems for the last 5 years.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2024-03-07 at 11:16 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

There are many way and kinds of bad, and RWBY at the beginning was effectively just Monty slamming action figures together in all the best ways for something to be bad. Eventually though once it tried to have a real plot it rapidly devolved into all the wrong kinds of bad.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I'm kind of amazed to discover that Rooster Teeth apparently had 400 employees at its peak and still retained 150 prior to this shutdown announcement. That's a lot of people to work for an indie media company built primarily around a Halo parody that peaked a long time ago - Red vs. Blue initially came out in 2003 - and a magical academy anime. They were clearly producing tons of other content that wasn't being widely seen and almost certainly wasn't profitable (this probably includes Death Battle) and it looks to me that they were propped up by a subscription service for far longer than the company as a whole remained financially viable.

Out of everything Rooster Teeth created there's probably only two or three things with any real value left in them: Red vs. Blue, RWBY, and Gen:LOCK (and that third one only because it has celebrities attached to it who might want to buy the thing for themselves). RWBY is, honestly, the property I would think has by far the most value, simply because it has multiple well known 'cute anime girls' with monetizable images.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I think if RWBY went to sleep and then came back with a big reboot that reworked the first two seasons into a decent story it could work. The character designs and archetypes are fine (many of the character designs are great), but the writers didn't know how to use them.

Then again I couldn't finish episode 2 of RWBY, because as you say none of the reason to watch it was there. But if a RWBY: Season 1 comic comes out which focuses on Ruby and Weiss having an antagonistic relationship I might theoretically try it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    In any case... Well, RT died because it simply wasn't making good content anymore. No one was watching it. I honestly believe the only reason RT lasted this long is the fact that WB was preoccupied with much bigger problems for the last 5 years.
    Don't forget, they also did everything they could to make it as difficult as possible for anyone to watch anything they made.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I'm surprised no one is mentioning Camp Camp, it might actually be the best thing that they ever made but sadly it just went right under the radar.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I think if RWBY went to sleep and then came back with a big reboot that reworked the first two seasons into a decent story it could work. The character designs and archetypes are fine (many of the character designs are great), but the writers didn't know how to use them.

Then again I couldn't finish episode 2 of RWBY, because as you say none of the reason to watch it was there. But if a RWBY: Season 1 comic comes out which focuses on Ruby and Weiss having an antagonistic relationship I might theoretically try it.
    There was an anime adaptation (RWBY Ice Queendom) that was tangentially connected with the first season (If I remember well, it re tell the story up to the fight with the giant scorpion/crow with the party formation) that had an interesting history about going inside Weiss mind to fight against here nightmares.

It wasn't bad, but wasn't that good. I especially found the new music and fight choreography very weak when directly compared with the ones in the show. When it changed direction and told his own story, was better...

I still love to look at the 4 trailers sometimes, and some fights of S1&2 and "I Burn" and "Red Like Roses pt2" are 2 songs that are in my playlist, but yes: I stopped watching RWBY I think around season 5, and since then, I've only seen the "final fight" between BY and Adam and the ending of the last season, that had something interesting in it. But the final fight was meh, and even the "tormented" version of Jaune was boring, so it didn't make me go "let's see all the season" or even "let's see what is going to be next season"
    I'm from Italy. So,sorry for my bad English!

Thanks A LOT to Nevitan for the fantastic Avatar!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

One of my friends was a HUGE Rooster Teeth fan back in the day. He was absolutely gutted by the news. I feel bad for all of the employees and hope they can find new jobs quickly.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

At first I read RWBY as RVSB for some reason and was like, why are you all complaining about the writing of Red vs. Blue, that was pretty solid (with some amazing sprinkled in) up until season 13.

And then I saw what you actually said and felt like, yeah sure, that's fair.