New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Azorius or Jeskai warlock

Hey everyone

So in my new campaign I'm apart of I decided to play a warlock. It's set in a Magic the Gathering universe.

I'm either going to be apart of the Azorius or Jeskai.
    With that said warlocks don't seem common amongst them I don't think.

Any ideas on what type of warlock would join them or why they would?

How would one play one?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Azorius or Jeskai warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooper666 View Post
    Hey everyone

So in my new campaign I'm apart of I decided to play a warlock. It's set in a Magic the Gathering universe.

I'm either going to be apart of the Azorius or Jeskai.
    With that said warlocks don't seem common amongst them I don't think.

Any ideas on what type of warlock would join them or why they would?

How would one play one?
    Azorius I know of (from Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, staring at me from my book shelf) but what or where is Jeskai?

For Azorius, yes, warlocks aren't ideal for them, but I think a warlock emphazing magical control would work best. You could be a (former) police officer who (secretly) made a pact with a devil (Fiend Patron) to enforce law and order, now acting Judge, Jury, and Executioner based on your own sense of justice (which may or may not be a little "off", so to speak). Pact of the Chain seems fitting for a control freak.

As for Jeskai, I did some googling and judging from the MTG Wiki, they seem fond of genies such as Djinni and Efreeti, as well as elementals and dragons. Genie Patron might work best for this. Again, Pact of the Chain seems the most fitting because you could be some sort of emissary of genies. Pact of the Tome would work as a scholar type character. Pact of the Blade could be a dervish-type scout and warrior.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Celestial Warlock would fit Azorius quite well. They employ a lot of angels (especially archons), sphinxes, empyreans and similar creatures who would be quite willing to enter Warlock pacts with orderly sorts who plan to use their powers to protect citizens.

Jeskai I'm less familiar with, but a quick google backs up Arkhios in that they employ Jinn in their ranks, so Genie seems like it would work well for them. I could see Azorius utilizing Jinn and other air elementals as well to help them control the skies above the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Fey pacts are pretty flexible for those who are less agro. An azorius detective with a a fey pact with a bunch of harmless pranksters as contacts could be pretty fun.

For jeskai, genie is good, but I would also point out fathomless and fiend (refavored as a dragon pact), sky, sea, flame and most importantly value of flexibility all apeal to the jeskai.

A brief note is that the whole value of warlock over cleric from a lore standpoint is the disconnect between warlock and patron.

Fiends will pact with anyone they can get value out of, GOO can just toss warlock on a character by exposure. If you are just going for what makes sense, why pact is going to matter more than what pact.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.