New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default My second attempt at build optimization: The Divine Sneak Smite Attack

Okay, so this is my second try. Here, I'm gonna try to make a half-reasonable build to throw all the D6's in your house at one monster in damage.

1. Race: Half-orc, in case you get a critical hit, you want extra dice for damage. We're trying to roll as many dice as possible.
    2. Class: Start out as Paladin for two levels (to get Divine Smite) and then blow the other 18 on Arcane Trickster Rogue, because of the way that Smite works. Basically, you have to expend a spell slot to use it, and since we're Arcane Trickster, we have a fair few spell slots to mess around with. If you get the option, choose a bunch of normal options, but it doesn't matter what your Rogue chooses. As for Paladin, we have to get any of the Smite spells (first-level, obviously), and we're trying to maximize our dice. We're going to choose Rapier as our main Paladin weapon as our gear, and another Rapier just in case. We take Light armor and maximize our Dexterity and Charisma.
    3. Our result:
    So, with our two Paladin levels, we have Divine Smite as well as multiple Smite spells. We take the other levels in Arcane Trickster for Sneak Attack + spell slots for Divine Smite, so here's what we do:
    Get advantage or stand next to a good friend for 9d6 extra damage (because rogue shenanigans)
    Use a Smite spell (Let's use Thunderous Smite)
    Blow our highest-level spell slot (fourth) to get 5d6 extra Smite damage for a grand total of: (on a critical hit)
    3d8 (crit damage, brutal critical half-orc ability) + 5 (max dex) + 5d6 (smite) + 2d6 (thunderous smite) which all adds up to: 74.5 average damage, of Piercing, Radiant, and Thunder damage all at once!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: My second attempt at build optimization: The Divine Sneak Smite Attack

You forgot the 18d6 for the crit sneak dice...

So, 3d8 (rapier x3 for sneak, brutal critical) +5 (Dex) + 10d6 (smite critical) +18d6 (SA critical) +2d6 Thunder smite = 123.5 average damage.
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2024-03-07 at 12:21 PM.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: My second attempt at build optimization: The Divine Sneak Smite Attack

I thought Smites were d8s right?
    I'd also like to add in the Piercer Feat (which I think gives an extra weapon die on crits) if you are using a rapier anyway. And since you are already an arcane trickster, getting booming blade or greenflame is a cinch! Chuck some more d8s (to double on crits) in there for those.

Crit
    rapier with piercer and half-orc (4d8) + Smite (10d8) + booming (6d8) + thunderous smite (4d6) + sneak (18d6) + dex/enchantment

Around 163 assuming a +5 dex?
    Last edited by Brawnspear; 2024-03-07 at 01:31 PM.
    Thanks kpenguin for the great avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

What you really should try to accomplish is to make all that damage be radiant (including Sneak Attack*)
    *as it is, Sneak Attack extra damage type depends on the weapon's damage type, so typically slashing or piercing (there are no bludgeoning finesse or ranged weapons as far as I recall).

Here's the most optimal way to do that:

Half-Orc Paladin 2/Scribe 5/Arcane Trickster 13.

Paladin for Divine Smite (obviously)
    Scribe for Awakened Spellbook (Two levels would technically be "enough", but, we need at least 5 levels in wizard so that we have access to a radiant damage spell in our spellbook (Spirit Shroud) in order for our gimmick to work).
    Arcane Trickster for as high Sneak Attack die as possible.

The gimmick:
    We cast Shadow Blade using a 3rd level slot. With Awakened Spellbook and Spirit Shroud in our spellbook we can change the damage type from Psychic to Radiant.

Voila, now we have a simple finesse melee weapon that deals 3d8 radiant damage all on its own, and we can add +7d6 sneak attack, also fully radiant, and we have spell slots up to 5th level, so we can add maximum potential of divine smite (barring improved divine smite): +5d8 radiant (or +6d8, in certain circumstances).

In total, we're dealing 8d8 to 9d8 + 7d6 + ability modifier damage, all of it radiant (on average 60 to 65 + ability modifier)
    --> Savage Attacks critical would be 17d8 to 19d8 + 14d6 + mod (avg. 125 to 134 + mod)

2nd option would be to adjust the levels in both Scribe and Arcane Trickster to 9th, so that we have access to a 5th level radiant damage spell (Dawn) and be able to cast Shadow Blade as a 5th level spell (now base damage 4d8 radiant). However, now we are down to 9d8 to 10d8 + 5d6 + ability modifier radiant damage. (on average 58 to 62 + ability modifier)
    --> Savage Attacks critical would be 19d8 to 21d8 + 10d6 + mod (avg. 120 to 129 + mod)

3rd option would be to swap the levels of Scribe and Arcane Trickster to "wizard 13/rogue 5", so that we have access to a 7th level radiant damage spell (Crown of Stars) and be able to cast Shadow Blade as a 7th level spell (now base damage 5d8 radiant). However, now we are down to 10d8 to 11d8 + 3d6 + ability modifier radiant damage. (on average 55 to 60 + ability modifier)
    --> Savage Attacks critical would be 21d8 to 23d8 + 6d6 + mod (avg. 115 to 124 + mod)

The trick is that Awakened Spellbook's ability works only when you have a spell in your spellbook with the desired damage type at the spell level equal to the spell slot you're using to cast the other spell, which damage type we wish to change.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-03-07 at 02:10 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    You forgot the 18d6 for the crit sneak dice...

So, 3d8 (rapier x3 for sneak, brutal critical) +5 (Dex) + 10d6 (smite critical) +18d6 (SA critical) +2d6 Thunder smite = 123.5 average damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawnspear View Post
    I thought Smites were d8s right?
    I'd also like to add in the Piercer Feat (which I think gives an extra weapon die on crits) if you are using a rapier anyway. And since you are already an arcane trickster, getting booming blade or greenflame is a cinch! Chuck some more d8s (to double on crits) in there for those.

Crit
    rapier with piercer and half-orc (4d8) + Smite (10d8) + booming (6d8) + thunderous smite (4d6) + sneak (18d6) + dex/enchantment

Around 163 assuming a +5 dex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    What you really should try to accomplish is to make all that damage be radiant (including Sneak Attack*)
    *as it is, Sneak Attack extra damage type depends on the weapon's damage type, so typically slashing or piercing (there are no bludgeoning finesse or ranged weapons as far as I recall).

Here's the most optimal way to do that:

Paladin 2/Scribe 13/Arcane Trickster 5.

Paladin for Divine Smite (obviously)
    Scribe for Awakened Spellbook (Two levels would technically be "enough", but, we need at least 5 levels in wizard so that we have access to a radiant damage spell in our spellbook (Spirit Shroud) in order for our gimmick to work).
    Arcane Trickster for as high Sneak Attack die as possible.

The gimmick:
    We cast Shadow Blade using a 3rd level slot. With Awakened Spellbook and Spirit Shroud in our spellbook we can change the damage type from Psychic to Radiant.

Voila, now we have a simple finesse melee weapon that deals 3d8 radiant damage all on its own, and we can add +7d6 sneak attack, also fully radiant, and we have spell slots up to 5th level, so we can add maximum potential of divine smite (barring improved divine smite): +5d8 radiant (or +6d8, in certain circumstances).

In total, we're dealing 8d8 to 9d8 + 7d6 + ability modifier damage, all of it radiant (on average 60 to 65 + ability modifier)

2nd option would be to adjust the levels in both Scribe and Arcane Trickster to 9th, so that we have access to a 5th level radiant damage spell (Dawn) and be able to cast Shadow Blade as a 5th level spell (now base damage 4d8 radiant). However, now we are down to 9d8 to 10d8 + 5d6 + ability modifier radiant damage. (on average 58 to 62 + ability modifier)

3rd option would be to swap the levels of Scribe and Arcane Trickster to "wizard 13/rogue 5", so that we have access to a 7th level radiant damage spell (Crown of Stars) and be able to cast Shadow Blade as a 7th level spell (now base damage 5d8 radiant). However, now we are down to 10d8 to 11d8 + 3d6 + ability modifier radiant damage. (on average 55 to 60 + ability modifier)

The trick is that Awakened Spellbook's ability works only when you have a spell in your spellbook with the desired damage type at the spell level equal to the spell slot you're using to cast the other spell, which damage type we wish to change.
    Thanks for the advice!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A slightly easier way (if not as guaranteed) is to get a sun sword instead. It's finesse, it's radiant, it's +2, it's available as loot in at least a couple adventure modules (CoS and OotA, maybe more). That avoids the need for a Scribes dip...
    Trollbait extraordinaire

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

The main issue I see with this is the unreliability of crits.

It'll be awesome when you roll a 20 and blow something up. But it's just as likely to be a mook with 4 HP left as it is the BBEG.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post

It'll be awesome when you roll a 20 and blow something up. But it's just as likely to be a mook with 4 HP left as it is the BBEG.
    You can make it more reliable by being elf or halfelf for elven accuracy and getting the magical bib item and using a scimitar. Slightly less dice but a lot more crits. Grab a wrath weapon for added d6s on damage, and use booming blade for more added dice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    You can make it more reliable by being elf or halfelf for elven accuracy and getting the magical bib item and using a scimitar. Slightly less dice but a lot more crits. Grab a wrath weapon for added d6s on damage, and use booming blade for more added dice.
    Sure, you could be an elf or a half-elf, if you weren't aiming for Half-orc's Savage Attacks trait.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another way if your just doing 1 big attack is use the One Dnd True Strike. Also a wizard cantrip that does radiant dmg.

Brought to you by one dnd:

True Strike
    Divination Cantrip (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
    Casting Time: Action
    Range: Self
    Components: S, M (a weapon with which you have
    proficiency)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Guided by a flash of magical insight, you make one
    attack with the weapon used in the spell’s casting. The
    attack uses your spellcasting ability for the attack and
    damage rolls instead of using Strength or Dexterity. If
    the attack deals damage, it can be Radiant damage or
    the weapon’s normal damage type (your choice).
    Cantrip Upgrade. Whether you choose to deal
    Radiant damage or the weapon’s normal damage type,
    the attack deals extra Radiant damage when you reach
    levels 5 (1d6), 11 (2d6), and 17 (3d6).
    Last edited by Melil12; 2024-03-11 at 04:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Melil12 View Post
    Another way if your just doing 1 big attack is use the One Dnd True Strike. Also a wizard cantrip that does radiant dmg.

Brought to you by one dnd:

True Strike
    Divination Cantrip (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
    Casting Time: Action
    Range: Self
    Components: S, M (a weapon with which you have
    proficiency)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Guided by a flash of magical insight, you make one
    attack with the weapon used in the spell’s casting. The
    attack uses your spellcasting ability for the attack and
    damage rolls instead of using Strength or Dexterity. If
    the attack deals damage, it can be Radiant damage or
    the weapon’s normal damage type (your choice).
    Cantrip Upgrade. Whether you choose to deal
    Radiant damage or the weapon’s normal damage type,
    the attack deals extra Radiant damage when you reach
    levels 5 (1d6), 11 (2d6), and 17 (3d6).
    Ugh, if they're going to completely erase the original 3rd Ed (+20 to hit) and 5th Ed (advantage) identity of the spell, call it something else. Radiant Strike works. There's nothing 'True' about any of that. I really loathe WotC sometimes... a seething rage, if you will.
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2024-03-12 at 08:15 AM.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

(there are no bludgeoning finesse or ranged weapons as far as I recall).
    Slings are a bludgeoning ranged weapon

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can see it that.

It was a big shock to me as well when I did see it. True Strike was never a popular spell and in 5e even less so. I understand that they want to make it attractive for players to use again. And I am a big fan of spells that include melee components.

It just fits in the situation above when you are trying to maximize Radiant Damage.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you have access to rare items, the Sun Blade is a finesse +2 Longsword that does radiant damage, so the sneak attack dice would too. (it also does an extra 1d8 against undead)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elyktsorb View Post
    Slings are a bludgeoning ranged weapon
    I was AFB at the time, and I wasn't sure if sling was bludgeoning or piercing (could be both, really). Still, I stand corrected. There is one ("Wow")

Quote Originally Posted by Boverk View Post
    If you have access to rare items, the Sun Blade is a finesse +2 Longsword that does radiant damage, so the sneak attack dice would too. (it also does an extra 1d8 against undead)
    As noted already above, yes, that is an option. This basically boils down to whether the campaign being played in has an active magic items market like in the 3rd or 4th edition, or not. However, the standard assumption in 5th edition is that magic items are not bought, they are found as treasure, in which case, relying on class abilities is more, well, reliable.

Besides, even after Tasha's (or was it Xanathar's?) the prices for magic items don't have rigid costs, but instead fluid "ballpark of values" per rarity.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-03-14 at 03:26 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post

I played a kobold rogue paladin in AL a while back. The number of demons and undead I've vaporized thanks to pack tactics is quite high.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I had an order of divine assassins in a setting which originated from a similar build concept, the core of the build was Paladin2/Diviner2

The idea is that members of the order would live in a cloister and when they are granted a vision of themselves killing a target they would tell of this to the leader of the cloister who would assign them the mission. So they would always crit on their first hit, because they are only sent on a mission when they have a vision of themselves killing someone (i.e: a 20 portent).

The build would keep going Whisper Bard to at least to 5, and then maybe Assassin 3 for more general competence outside of vision kills.
    Wanna try the homebrew system me and my friends play? It was developed by a friend of mine and all you need to play is found here