New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default State Alchemist Wizard: Fullmetal Alchemist-inspired homebrew subclass

Level 2:
    Transmutation circle
    When you choose this arcane tradition at second level, your mastery of transmutation allows you to use it with a transmutation circle as a spellcasting focus. When you cast a transmutation spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose to put down a transmutation circle to cast it instead, and you can cast the spell. To cast the spell using the circle, it takes a number of rounds equal to the spell’s level. If the spell requires a target, you must have the target in the circle for the whole duration. It takes an action and a bonus action to create a transmutation circle, and it must be large enough to contain the target.

Dog of the government
    Your ties to the government allow you to do things that most normal civilians wouldn’t be allowed to do, and thus allow you to see restricted records appropriate for your character’s rank, which is determined by your Wizard level:
    2 – Private
    6 – Corporal
    10 – Seargeant
    14 – First Lieutenant
    18 – Colonel

Characters who are in the same army, but below you in rank, will follow your orders, but those who are higher than you in rank can order you around, and if the government requests that you do something, you must do it, or you are stripped of your power and status.

Level 6:
    The Law of Equivalent Exchange
    You can use your transmutation circle to create objects out of other obects, so long as they are equal in mass, following the law of Equivalent Exchange. You cannot simply make a sword out of nothing, you must rather pull an equal amount of metal out, using your circle. You can make anything, so long as the DM approves.

Level 10:
    Alchemy recognition
    You are trained in the use of Alchemy, and can halt other’s usage of it. When you see another creature attempt to cast a Transmutation spell, you can use your reaction to halt it. They must make a succesful Constitution save against your Spell Save DC to cast the spell.

Level 14:
    Philosopher’s Stone
    You have learned how to make a Philosopher’s Stone, a mystical item made from souls. You can put Humanoids into a transmutation circle, and harvest their souls to create a Stone. With the Stone, you need not follow the law of Equivalent Exchange, as a soul has no value. However, your alignment cannot be Good if you create a Philosopher’s Stone willingly, or if those that you use are not willing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: State Alchemist Wizard: Fullmetal Alchemist-inspired homebrew subclass

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    Level 2:
    Transmutation circle
    When you choose this arcane tradition at second level, your mastery of transmutation allows you to use it with a transmutation circle as a spellcasting focus. When you cast a transmutation spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose to put down a transmutation circle to cast it instead, and you can cast the spell. To cast the spell using the circle, it takes a number of rounds equal to the spell’s level. If the spell requires a target, you must have the target in the circle for the whole duration. It takes an action and a bonus action to create a transmutation circle, and it must be large enough to contain the target.

Dog of the government
    Your ties to the government allow you to do things that most normal civilians wouldn’t be allowed to do, and thus allow you to see restricted records appropriate for your character’s rank, which is determined by your Wizard level:
    2 – Private
    6 – Corporal
    10 – Seargeant
    14 – First Lieutenant
    18 – Colonel

Characters who are in the same army, but below you in rank, will follow your orders, but those who are higher than you in rank can order you around, and if the government requests that you do something, you must do it, or you are stripped of your power and status.

Level 6:
    The Law of Equivalent Exchange
    You can use your transmutation circle to create objects out of other obects, so long as they are equal in mass, following the law of Equivalent Exchange. You cannot simply make a sword out of nothing, you must rather pull an equal amount of metal out, using your circle. You can make anything, so long as the DM approves.

Level 10:
    Alchemy recognition
    You are trained in the use of Alchemy, and can halt other’s usage of it. When you see another creature attempt to cast a Transmutation spell, you can use your reaction to halt it. They must make a succesful Constitution save against your Spell Save DC to cast the spell.

Level 14:
    Philosopher’s Stone
    You have learned how to make a Philosopher’s Stone, a mystical item made from souls. You can put Humanoids into a transmutation circle, and harvest their souls to create a Stone. With the Stone, you need not follow the law of Equivalent Exchange, as a soul has no value. However, your alignment cannot be Good if you create a Philosopher’s Stone willingly, or if those that you use are not willing.
    Circle does... Nothing? It makes the spells takes longer to cast.

Equivalent Exchange needs more rules to it. Currently, it's "Ask your DM for anything you want with this."

Recognition is really powerful against anyone who casts Transmutation, being a similar ability to Counterspell for free, but I don't know how common they are.

Stone doesn't actually do anything. It lets you make a rock. That does... Nothing?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: State Alchemist Wizard: Fullmetal Alchemist-inspired homebrew subclass

I have to agree - your explanations don't actually do much. You've got a lot of lore on the page, and not much that is either mechanical or even particularly relevant.

Here is my execution of the concept from years back as well as the feedback I received - the Gate of Truth Warlock Patron. You can use this as inspiration or as a way to write things out.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I have to agree - your explanations don't actually do much. You've got a lot of lore on the page, and not much that is either mechanical or even particularly relevant.

Here is my execution of the concept from years back as well as the feedback I received - the Gate of Truth Warlock Patron. You can use this as inspiration or as a way to write things out.

Oh wow! Thanks! I kinda wanted to make an alchemist along the lines of FMA (the manga) and I really didn't know where to start. Thanks!