New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Understands, But Can't Speak

A creature can understand Languages, but can't Speak.

Can they read?
    Can they write?
    Could a Drow Undead use Drow Sign Language?

My initial answer would be that they can't, depending on their Intelligence score. But RAW, they only can't speak, right?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Understands, But Can't Speak

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    A creature can understand Languages, but can't Speak.

Can they read?
    Can they write?

My initial answer would be that they can't, depending on their Intelligence score. But RAW, they only can't speak, right?
    It's on a case by case basis.

Some of those creatures simply don't have the bits required for making the required sounds, but could do a form of sign language or write.

Some of those creatures can understand but don't have the parts of the psyche required to create an answer.

It's usually mentioned in the description which it is, ex:

Because of their literal interpretation of commands and unwavering obedience, skeletons adapt poorly to changing circumstances. They can't read, speak, emote, or communicate in any way except to nod, shake their heads, or point

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Can they read?
    Can they write?
    With the intent of the rule being to prevent two-way communication, I think that's the limit to consider.

"Does this enable two-way communication without the need of additional features or spending resources?"
    If the end result is you are getting around the limitation without needing to spend or invest in anything (for this discussion; the class levels you have count as investments) then the original limitation was pointless.
    Like having languages at all when so many games just have everyone understand common.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

I would say reading is fine, unless the creature in question is animal intelligence or mindless.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Generally, I'd let them read and write, if they're physically capable of such; "cannot speak", IME, is usually a degree of physical limitation.

Take, for example, R2-D2. He cannot *speak* Basic; he is incapable of forming the sounds with his limited Vocabulator. But he can read it and write it (output on the X-wing's screen).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

one good example may be kenku. they lack the creativity to speak on their own because they were cursed. they cannot create their own thoughts from scratch. So I'd say they don't write or talk but can read and mimic. maybe even read aloud cause it is not their thoughts.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
    one good example may be kenku. they lack the creativity to speak on their own because they were cursed. they cannot create their own thoughts from scratch. So I'd say they don't write or talk but can read and mimic. maybe even read aloud cause it is not their thoughts.
    FYI, they've been errata'ed to remove this limitation, so even if they couldn't write or talk on their own before they definitely can now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    FYI, they've been errata'ed to remove this limitation, so even if they couldn't write or talk on their own before they definitely can now.
    yes I know. I suppose I more think of that as player specific to ease the problems of playing that race? but also I could see many old school DM's not doing that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Generally, I'd let them read and write, if they're physically capable of such; "cannot speak", IME, is usually a degree of physical limitation.

Take, for example, R2-D2. He cannot *speak* Basic; he is incapable of forming the sounds with his limited Vocabulator. But he can read it and write it (output on the X-wing's screen).
    Interesting question. Is he writing in Basic, or is the computer translating for him?

(He obviously understands it).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".