New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Building an Agent of MIB

Hi all, Looking for advice on building an Agent of the Men in Black in D&D 5e.

I am not looking to a exact version but the closest adaption possible within the existing rules. I've had a few thoughts about options but its honestly a vast amount of paths to take that I am a little lost.

The abilities I would want to make an average Agent of the MIB are below, but suggestions are certainly welcome.

• Modify Memory - The staple feature, ideally able to do it multiple times a day and to multiple targets
    • Weapons capable of doing energy based damage. Radiant, Force or Necrotic all could fit
    • The ability to see through Diguises and see the true forms of beings.
    • Little Armor reqs, mainly decked out in a black suit

Any features you think I missed or clever combos are very welcome, I don't want to limit to under level 20 builds either so if its a full 20 build please do let me know.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Building an Agent of MIB

True seeing is a 6th level spell, so you'll need to be at least level 11. True seeing and modify memory are both wizard and bard spells so either work.

For an energy based attack I'd look no further than eldritch blast. You can either pick it up with the magic initiate feat, or using bard's magic secrets.

I'd build an eloquence bard, the build comes online at level 11. Variant human with magic initiate (warlock) and grab eldritch blast. My magic secrets would be fireball and something neat like wall of force.
    Hypnotic pattern, modify memory, true seeing, scrying, locate creature, locate object, tongues would be my MIB theme'd spells.
    I'd reflavor the instrument as the energy weapons.
    Skills: perception, insight, deception, athletics. Expertise: perception, deception
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    True seeing is a 6th level spell, so you'll need to be at least level 11. True seeing and modify memory are both wizard and bard spells so either work.

For an energy based attack I'd look no further than eldritch blast. You can either pick it up with the magic initiate feat, or using bard's magic secrets.

I'd build an eloquence bard, the build comes online at level 11. Variant human with magic initiate (warlock) and grab eldritch blast. My magic secrets would be fireball and something neat like wall of force.
    Hypnotic pattern, modify memory, true seeing, scrying, locate creature, locate object, tongues would be my MIB theme'd spells.
    I'd reflavor the instrument as the energy weapons.
    Skills: perception, insight, deception, athletics. Expertise: perception, deception
    the unfortunate downside of bard for this is that it limits your spell slots ever so slightly more than wizard does. (arcane recovery). however bard, being a charisma caster, is better poised to do a 2 level dip into warlock to pick up agonizing blast to give their laser gun more umph.

alternatively, enchantment wizard (eventually) can twin every enchantment spell for free. so that helps with that aspect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Enchantment Wizard looks good, thanks for the advice!