New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Conit View Post
    You're saying Elan is not confident attending the meeting because he's been made to believe he won't be contributing anything, which is a fair interpretation.
    But here's how I interpreted it. Elan is not confident attending the meeting because he knows he won't be contributing anything. Look at how Serini describes the meeting "a plan to plan a plan", they're strategizing. Elan's expertise is on what would make a good story, but Elan himself has acknowledge that doing something because it makes for a better story often puts people in danger (see 938), so creating a strategy based on it making a good story is a bad idea. Conversely, a person devising a strategy, and executing it without flaw not a great story. A good story is antithetical to a good strategy, so Elan does not have the strategic insight to contribute anything of value to that conversation, and Elan knows this.
    When Elan suggests a plan it's usually total nonsense (see 80) and Elan is well aware of that. When Roy seems to seriously consider one of Elan's plans, Elan is genuinely concerned (see 1027) because he knows what he just said should not be taken seriously.
    That doesn't mean Elan's input on a plan isn't valued by Roy or the party, we see in 1218 Roy relying on Elan's bardic expertise to decide the next course of action. Elan is extremely valuable for providing feedback on a plan, but basically useless for the creation of that plan.

Planning is not where Elan thrives, in fact quite the opposite. Elan's strength is spontaneity. When plans fail, Elan is almost always the one who pulls some surprise out his pocket (see 223, 386, 445, 478, 767, 794, 930). Elan's not a planner, that's why both of his opposites (Nale and Tarquin) are such meticulous planners. Elan is a wildcard, and in a universe where a plan's success is totally reliant on what will make a better story? (see 836) you're always gonna want to have a wildcard.
    So not only would Elan participating not be beneficial, it would actually be detrimental. Again Elan's strength is spontaneity, if everyone knows all his abilities and items, then they're no longer a surprise and if Elan can't do something surprising then he's much less effective.

You say Roy and the party are not accommodating for Elan, however I argue they actually are accommodating for Elan by allowing him to not attend the meeting.
    Imagine you're the boss of some tech start-up and you had the world's greatest coder on your team, tell him to code anything and he'll have it done in a hour, but he has absolutely no insight when it comes to designing an application (ex. he could code a search bar for a web browser easily, but ask him if a web browser should have a search bar and he'd have no clue). Would you force him to attend the design meetings, where he can't contribute and will feel worthless, or do you let him not attend those and instead just do what he's good at?

I think this is actually a good message for neurodiverse people. A neurodiverse person often cannot contribute to a team in the same way a nerotypical person could. What's being shown here is, it's ok to not be able to contribute in that way, you don't have to, that doesn't mean you're not valuable to the team.

I don't think we can blame the party for Elan forgetting his own abilities, that's literally one of his most well established character traits, he even straight up chooses to not realize things because it makes a better story (see 793). This is a strength btw, it makes him more spontaneous which again is his strong suit.
    Also Song of Freedom requires a minute long uninterrupted performance, there's no way Elan could go 10 rounds without getting interrupted by Zz'dtri, Qarr, or Yuk Yuk. Even if Elan could do the full 10 rounds, V would still tell him to go to Durkon because he can free Haley and wasn't aware of the Linear Guild's presence, so all Elan using song of freedom would do is waste a minute.

I fundamentally disagree with the sentiment of this. I believe an artist can portray something as acceptable, or even portray it as something good, and still not be advocating for it. Look at The Punisher comics, a core theme of those comics is deplorable irredeemable criminal gets away with disgusting crime through judicial loophole. Frank Castle decides if the legal system won't enforce the law, he must be the one to do it.
    Often the people Frank Castle kills are completely irredeemable, and the world is genuinely better off without them. The Punisher comics seem to portray Frank Castle's vigilante justice as not just justified/acceptable but also a genuine benefit to society. However the comics' authors are usually not advocating for vigilante justice, in fact many of them actively condemn it.
    One can argue that, even if the artist isn't advocating for it, it's still irresponsible to portray a harmful thing as acceptable because it could influence people to believe it's acceptable. However the problem becomes should art be censored from portraying harmful things as acceptable because some people might actually believe it? If so, then shouldn't we be censoring theft, murder, leaving someone to be tortured and killed, lying about suffering from a mental illness (this one's deemed acceptable by literal gods), disenfranchisement of a political opponent (through attempted murder), or what about the destruction of an uncountable number of universes. This stance is honestly quite similar to Miko's ideology.
    There's also the fact that it's very difficult if impossible for an artist to control how someone interprets their art.

I don't think "stress brings out the true person" applies to that event. Yes Roy was stressed, but Roy was also angry, even more so than he was stressed, and most people would agree you're not your true self when you're angry. Roy was furious at himself for "letting" Durkon die, that's why he said that.

I've never begged for a reply before but I spent no joke 10 hours writing this comment, so please reply so I can know I didn't just waste half a day.
    I do NOT have ten hours to respond, but I wanted to recognize and the you for your efforts in writing this post. I hope the person it is written to will read it and , at least, consider your arguments even if they don't agree.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

{scrubbed} I doubt he's going to engage with what Conit said. If he does it's going to be because I called him on it. Am I helping yet?

To Conit: As people keep saying, you have a lot to be proud of in that post. Don't let BurlewContact's failure to engage upset you.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-03-13 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

3. - Top - End - #243

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    Nothing suggests to me he has class levels. Some people theorized he has class levels and I don’t agree with them.
    For page 1297, there was a long discussion about whether Calder casting the Polar Ray from his eyes indicated that he had a special feat or if it was just how Rich was going to depict such spells for bonus stylishness. But on page 1296, Calder cast from his hand/claw. So that does seem to suggest that Calder casting from his eyes involved actual game mechanics, which has implications for his minimum level. I don't know how the details work themselves out.

Planning is not where Elan thrives, in fact quite the opposite. Elan's strength is spontaneity. When plans fail, Elan is almost always the one who pulls some surprise out his pocket (see 223, 386, 445, 478, 767, 794, 930). Elan's not a planner, that's why both of his opposites (Nale and Tarquin) are such meticulous planners. Elan is a wildcard, and in a universe where a plan's success is totally reliant on what will make a better story? (see 836) you're always gonna want to have a wildcard.
    So not only would Elan participating not be beneficial, it would actually be detrimental. Again Elan's strength is spontaneity, if everyone knows all his abilities and items, then they're no longer a surprise and if Elan can't do something surprising then he's much less effective.
    Hmm. I'd argue that Elan's "secret plan" involving Julio Scoundrél was a long-term plan, well executed. But it's a different form of planning. I'm a poor chess player; I can't keep track of a bunch of possible future moves and counter-moves. But I'm generally pretty good at pulling together a variety of factors in a creative way that blind-sides colleagues and opponents. In my employment, several times we've been blocked by some intractable problem. I've come up with solutions that were bizarre and kludgy, but also stable, robust, and maintainable. A couple of times, some person who was new to the team has been boggled by them and criticized them, then had the situation explained. "Hey, if you think you can come up with something better, feel free. Don't forget that you have to work within the following constraints... No? Then perhaps you should apologize...?"

I've never begged for a reply before but I spent no joke 10 hours writing this comment, so please reply so I can know I didn't just waste half a day.
    Well, I appreciated it.

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    {scrubbed}
    He kept changing his argument to match the things people appeared to be upset about.
    Last edited by Tubercular Ox; 2024-03-13 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. Even if I don't get a reply back from the guy, I'm glad to know there's at least one person who's read the comment and thought about it. That's enough for me to know it wasn't a complete waste of time, so again thank you.
    Any time spent improving one's use of the written word cannot be a complete waste of time.

Additionally, we get to discuss the potential impacts of adding regeneration to a halfling on said halfling's natural lifespan. So also not a waste!

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I choose to interpret this as "the dragon, the!"
    Thanks, Sideshow Peelee.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    Wow !

What is your source ?

I never heard of that explanation and apparently neither did the internet... I can't find anything except the fact that due to being an anagram, the auto-correct can swith god for dog if misspelled :p

Funnily, according to wikipedia, english-spoken people use more the word "sacrebleu" than the french because of several fictional french-spoken characters using it (FYI : nobody says that in France ^^)
    My high school French teacher. And I don't remember her source.

Poking around the internet found French people saying that this version is an urban legend.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

Poking around the internet found French people saying that this version is an urban legend.
    As i said earlier, it's just a rhyming alternative. Americans have similar phrases replaced with rhyming versions, which are similarly rarely used.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    In Sunny's case, their creature type is aberration and it's therefore an applicable adjective. It is not an appropriate form of address,
    Face palm time. For Calder, it is, and that's what matters. You are free to follow your own norms and customs.
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanwolf View Post
    Warbeast training would have a high skill check but not impossible. +1hd +3 str and con. Permanent greater magic fang and improved natural armor. Would not matter in the amz, We can assume that they are not awakened.
    Neat idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Elan's "secret plan" involving Julio Scoundrél was a long-term plan, well executed.
    Concur
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Additionally, we get to discuss the potential impacts of adding regeneration to a halfling on said halfling's natural lifespan. So also not a waste!
    To which I respond "die, halfling, die...with fire!"
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    "die, halfling, die...with fire!"
    Or, in German the halfling, the... with fire!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #250

MindFlayer

To which I respond "die, halfling, die...with fire!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I'm too slow, but I was going to suggest that Serini is "die Haflingin". Or maybe "die Halblingin" -- I'm not sure how far the translation out of English went, and my knowledge of German is faded in any event.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Great, now we either have Sideshow Lord Torath, or Peelee is going to want use-credit.

- M

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I'm too slow, but I was going to suggest that Serini is "die Haflingin". Or maybe "die Halblingin" -- I'm not sure how far the translation out of English went, and my knowledge of German is faded in any event.
    It's Halbling (respectively Halblingin or Halblingsfrau).

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Thanks. Even if I don't get a reply back from the guy, I'm glad to know there's at least one person who's read the comment and thought about it. That's enough for me to know it wasn't a complete waste of time, so again thank you.
    Me too. It was great.

Especially from the perspective of someone who occupies multiple minority groups and has both a physical disability and a mental illness.

It's one thing to talk about accommodation in the sense of finding a way to treat everyone absolutely equally, and another entirely to consider how people feel and what they want and need.
    Last edited by Space Sorceress; 2024-03-13 at 04:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    So why is it ok to call Calder "Dragon"?

That words implies someone who greedily hoard riches and react violently to anyone who'd threaten or even touch the smallest ammount, after all.
    Who, when speaking to Calder, referred to him as "Dragon?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    You would need to compare lifespans with a halfling without regeneration who had sustained the same injuries.

This is called a con-troll group.
    *takes massive groan damage*
    *starts making death saves*

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    DR/magic is considered Supernatural rather than Extraordinary and will be turned off in the antimagic field too.
    Ahh, 3.5, I don't miss you...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    So, now you know, if you need to make fun of someplace, it's the Intersection of Telegraph and Bancroft in Berkeley California. They're wierd there.
    I think I was drunk there once. Also, Weird not Wierd. (For some reason).
    I have thought about this some, and in the spirit of this thread I feel I must point out that I am dyslexic. This is of course a disability (pretty mild in my case, but, it is a disability).

You have insulted me by claiming that I can't spell based only on my disability and my inability to put the letters i and e in the correct order in English spelling, and this is based on my membership in a protected class.

Naturally, I will not admit to reading this thread while at work, HOWEVER, I remembered this insult today when I was in the office, and it thus created a pervasively hostile work environment hindering my ability to perform my job. I remembered it twice, so this occured on multiple occassions.

I will therefor be reporting KorvinStarmast to the EEOC as soon as I get a round tuit. Some might point out that KorvinStarmast has no employment relationship with me, to which I say, BAH! Korvin can be my boss or have another job related relationship without a contract (just like Elan and Roy), maybe he's a vendor or something.

Korvin has plainly set a horrible example for people everywhere with his blatant discriminatory behavior based on my disability, children read this comic, won't someone think of the children?!

Did I get that more or less correct?
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2024-03-13 at 07:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, yes...except that my librarian in 6th grade had the Round Tuit, so I don't think you can get it...so no filing for you.

Sorry!

- M

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Well, yes...except that my librarian in 6th grade had the Round Tuit, so I don't think you can get it...so no filing for you.

Sorry!

- M
    Drat!

Foiled again!

Maybe I can find an alternative? I could file as soon as I get a Doily but we know that V has that.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2024-03-13 at 08:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

There's an old folk song about a dog named Blue. Maybe that's it?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post

Furthermore, if his surrender includes an exit or if he just flatly escapes, he likely runs into TE and continues to contribute that way. Either he strains the power struggle between Xykon and Redcloak, or maybe even manages to contribute to the MitD somehow.
    I find this interesting. Perhaps Calder is in someway the leverage Durkon needs to convince Redcloak for his help. Since the Order of the Scribble ran into him, presumably it was on their quest to seal the rifts. Perhaps Calder has some knowledge of the Rifts and/or Snarl that could help sway Redcloak? What that would be I don't know since most of the relevant info is only known to the gods and what Thor has relayed to Durkon. But as an evil Dragon he would have no reason to side with the Order of the Stick (other than the sparing of his life) and thus maybe that is how his surrender is negotiated. Essentially, he has info and/or the "negotiating position" to help with Redcloak.

Or maybe it is just a cool fight as a set piece. It would be a shame for the dungeon to be hyped up for so long and see very little of it. For example, imo, it is a bit disappointing we didn't see Girard's Ziggurat at its prime fully illusioned.

Finally as the super longshot (since it wouldn't really fit into the themes of the comic), Calder is a mindbender as stated by Serini. Mayhaps he mind bends Redcloak into helping seal the rifts.
    Last edited by Crixus33; 2024-03-13 at 09:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Halfling in the Playground

I love V’s expression while walking away from the Allosaurus vs Dragon wrestling match. Amazing what the Giant can convey in stick figures.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

It's interesting, but Xykon is immune to mind-altering spells, and narratively Redcloak can't be mind controlled for anything important as the story needs his decisions to be HIS to fulfill his arc regarding the fates of Goblinkind.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Das Halflingfrau

No.
    I before E, except after C, or when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh ... and the exceptions are of coursed raised up and illustrated.

Weird, isn't it?
    Spelling that word wrongly, or incorrectly, has nothing to do with dyslexia.
    It's an incredibly frequent spelling mistake. See also leisure... I mean, is it a lee-zhur suit or a Lazer Suit?
    I get that you were going for a laugh, but you forgot the blue text
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-03-13 at 09:21 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

23. - Top - End - #263

I before E, except after C, or when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh ...
    Spoiler: Is it really fair to call them "exceptions"?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

why does english DO this

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Space Sorceress View Post
    why does english DO this
    Hey, I had to learn it. You chose to learn it.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Space Sorceress View Post
    why does english DO this
    There's ... history behind oddities of the English language.

And more on-topic, I feel that Calder definitely is more than just a "see how mighty the heroes are now" battle. Though he's certainly doing that, too.

27. - Top - End - #267

Do we know how old a dragon Calder is? If I'm looking at the right tables, he's probably got a higher Strength than the dino, but he might've gotten some kind of penalty to the grapple because of the surprise factor.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just a general tip of the hat to those who brought respectful and thoughtful ideas, agreements, disagreements, and dialogue in general to this thread. Even to the topics that are probably a bit off this specific comic.

Another thumbs up to the comment that took ten hours to write. I myself have composed some massive theorycrafting about the comic or about other things, and I never know if I'm screaming into the void or not, as I'm generally too distracted to keep up with all the threads I've ever responded to on the various forums I inhabit.

Kudos for caring about an idea that much. I feel our attention spans are quite limited at times, but giving a single topic ten hours of nonstop thought voluntarily and for no immediate benefit is really where our better thoughts do come from. Whether they're heard or not, understood or agreed with or not. Those are our better moments.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Colossus in the Playground

10 hours well-spent, my friend. I thought something fell over in my kitchen last night, but it must've been the mic drop that came with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    For page 1297, there was a long discussion about whether Calder casting the Polar Ray from his eyes indicated that he had a special feat or if it was just how Rich was going to depict such spells for bonus stylishness. But on page 1296, Calder cast from his hand/claw. So that does seem to suggest that Calder casting from his eyes involved actual game mechanics, which has implications for his minimum level. I don't know how the details work themselves out.
    The spell lists that the Monster Manual has for dragons is just what they usually have at their disposal. There's nothing saying that they can't choose to master different spells.

And frankly, if a dragon is even remotely competent, they won't stick exclusively to spells of their own element. Anybody who's actively hunting a dragon is either an idiot, or has taken precautions against what sort of threats they expect the dragon to whip out.
    If I'm going to be fighting a red dragon, I'm going to be using whatever fire resistance I can get my hands on so I don't get nuked by its breath weapon or die to whatever fire-based hazards its lair is likely filled with. I'm not going to be expecting it to whip out a bunch of lightning, acid, or (especially) cold damage.

That being said, there's always a possibility that Calder does have actual class levels on top of his natural HD, but we have no way of knowing that for sure unless Rich comes out and says so.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think the 3.5e MM even has listed spells known for dragons. Same for feats or skill ranks. You're kinda expected to customize them since they're probably a miniboss encounter at bare minimum.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.