New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: D&D 3.5 low-power; Dungeon of Strangeness 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    Regarding the Blink Dog.

Would you be okay with capping the Blink and Dimension Door to Oslecamo levels (only be used on HD as immediate and swift actions respectively and making them Su's), getting the +4 Dex down to a +2 and just using the 4 racial HD with no adjustments?

I know it's a weird hodgepodge of changes but that feels right to me (and you can still get in some levels of Archivist that way.)
    Totally fine! No LA is completely worth the "nerf". This means I can actually have a Beast Heart Adept Lvl.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm okay with that. The last dungeon game just had a 6d6+strength hammer wielder that was... A little much for the game.

Would that mean I should reconsider Brakq the Hammer's eponymous hammer and its 2d8+3d6+15 points of damage? (Or the bomb on her person that can deal 8-to-24d6 points of damage to unattended objects, once?)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Yes, but with caveats. Don't make yourself healable by negative energy and don't build an undead army to solve problems for you. Minionmancy seems to be the death for a lot of games. If you're just fine with using dread necromancers spells and other abilities I'm fine with it.
    I wanna step into this question/ answer, Army building I can understand, Minionmancy is only the death of a game if it is missused, but why isn't he allowed to make himself healable by Necro Energy?
    (I would like to be able, in some game, raise Lord Orgauth Denuthson from death, and have him as a secondary asset, not necessarily in this game though)
    +3 LA seems to be fitting for a Revenant, I'm not sure about the Regeneration because it basically seems that you're unkillable without a very specific setup. Even with lethal damage you're just popping up some minutes later that seems... Pretty excessive. As written it seems to powerful do you have any ideas how to balance that down and still maintaining the vision you clearly have for this guy?
    Ehm, fast healing does take into account that undead instantly die when they reach 0 hp, regardless of fast healing, or am I misunderstanding something? Necro Healing is easy, just as easy as Positive Healing, if a Dread Necro is also added to the party, he/ she/ it can heal my scrub, something to keep in mind.
    We can lower the Fast Healing, but not completely remove it?.
    I haven't thought about the setting at all, I guess you're not doing wrong with Forgotten Realms. But you won't meet any NPC's from there.
    Cool! Just have a think about where your dungeon is situated please.
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-03-20 at 08:40 AM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Totally fine! No LA is completely worth the "nerf". This means I can actually have a Beast Heart Adept Lvl.
    Good that you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post

Would that mean I should reconsider Brakq the Hammer's eponymous hammer and its 2d8+3d6+15 points of damage? (Or the bomb on her person that can deal 8-to-24d6 points of damage to unattended objects, once?)
    You're actually expending a ressource here (even with an easy recharge method due to Warblade), I'm okay with that. And you're... Really slow, Some things do balance each other out. the bombs are... A thing but with them basically only usable against objects (if I haven't read the wrong entry) I'm fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Spear View Post
    I wanna step into this question/ answer, Army building I can understand, Minionmancy is only the death of a game if it is missused, but why isn't he allowed to make himself healable by Necro Energy?

(I would like to be able, in some game, raise Lord Orgauth Denuthson from death, and have him as a secondary asset, not necessarily in this game though)

Ehm, fast healing does take into account that undead instantly die when they reach 0 hp, regardless of fast healing, or am I misunderstanding something? Necro Healing is easy, just as easy as Positive Healing, if a Dread Necro is also added to the party, he/ she/ it can heal my scrub, something to keep in mind.
    We can lower the Fast Healing, but not completely remove it?.

Cool! Just have a think about where your dungeon is situated please.
    I'm not sure why you're asking for another person but I can answer these.

I don't like infinite healing, that's what a Dread necromancer can do with his pets and even to himself if he's able to heal himself with negative energy. Being on full HP every encounter is... Just something I dislike because using ressources to counter what a fight has done to you is something that I like, even when these ressources are renewable, they are still somehow limited.

What version of the Revenant are you using? The one that I found from the SRD has Regeneration not fast healing and instantly reforms some minutes after even if brought to 0 HP. This does work in a high level campaign where the enemies have ressources and the knowledge to counter the very specific kill conditions of a revenant, but definitely not here in this game.

I'm also not sure about you're last question?/Demand?

The adventure will end when you have completed the dungeon it will not have any relevance where the dungeon is actually situated, the adventure will also start in a way where you won't actually know where the dungeon is. Basically it doesn't matter where the adventure actually plays and to be honest I don't want to pin it down because that will mean additional work with the possible caveat that someone may say "but this kind of metal basically can't exist here!" Which doesn't mash with my DM style at all.

I'm sorry if this is a problem for you but I'm just simply not interested to play in a specific setting for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I'm not sure why you're asking for another person but I can answer these.
    I asked because I thought your ruling could also affect me/ my scrub

I don't like infinite healing, that's what a Dread necromancer can do with his pets and even to himself if he's able to heal himself with negative energy. Being on full HP every encounter is... Just something I dislike because using ressources to counter what a fight has done to you is something that I like, even when these ressources are renewable, they are still somehow limited.
    Yea, that sounds cheesy, I just never had a Dm make a problem out of a Dread Necro being able to heal at least him/herself. O.o
    What version of the Revenant are you using? The one that I found from the SRD has Regeneration not fast healing and instantly reforms some minutes after even if brought to 0 HP. This does work in a high level campaign where the enemies have ressources and the knowledge to counter the very specific kill conditions of a revenant, but definitely not here in this game.
    I'll Pm you. and your findings are reasonable if the one you found differed from the one I was looking at, lol.

I'm also not sure about you're last question?/Demand?
    Pm

The adventure will end when you have completed the dungeon it will not have any relevance where the dungeon is actually situated, the adventure will also start in a way where you won't actually know where the dungeon is. Basically it doesn't matter where the adventure actually plays and to be honest I don't want to pin it down because that will mean additional work with the possible caveat that someone may say "but this kind of metal basically can't exist here!" Which doesn't mash with my DM style at all.
    Okidoki, just trying to keep things clear tbh.

I'm sorry if this is a problem for you but I'm just simply not interested to play in a specific setting for a reason.
    Mostly it had to do from my side with Gods used for fluff reasons, and basic background of the character, no worries.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Spoiler: Mystery's background
    Show

What is a dungeon but a Big Box? And the challenge to markeverycornerasHersmap it out fully intrigues Mystery, especially if there's Interesting Toys to play with.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Never saw these system technical questions asked;
    Is Intelligence permanent gain retroactive regarding skill points?
    Saves and Bab fractional or just base rules?
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Variel should be finished, pending GM review. Background, personality, and description are brief but they're there, let me know if you would like me to expand on them.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

After looking at the feats found what you where talking about. Was going to go full grapple and touch attack instead of infinite +1 health/turn as a standard action. Better action economy.

Well, I also see you have a sword sage. How about arcane sword sage variant?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

So, I am sure I remember correctly there was a feat, that allowed a mage to know 1 lvl 2 spell, and be able to cast it 1/day, and when you can eventually cast lvl 2 spells, it becomes an additional slot for any spell. And the spell becomes a normal part of the spells known list.

I just can't remember where it's hiding, what book etc. Anybody?
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

So, I am sure I remember correctly there was a feat, that allowed a mage to know 1 lvl 2 spell, and be able to cast it 1/day, and when you can eventually cast lvl 2 spells, it becomes an additional slot for any spell. And the spell becomes a normal part of the spells known list.

The closest I know would be Chaotic Spell Recall. You recall 1 chaotic spell/day of any level. Its an abyssal inheritor feat (you need 1 feat of that list) and gain +1use/day for every 4 inheritor feats you have.

There a feat to gain +int mod free spells to your book each level.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro_Nogard View Post
    The closest I know would be Chaotic Spell Recall. You recall 1 chaotic spell/day of any level. Its an abyssal inheritor feat (you need 1 feat of that list) and gain +1use/day for every 4 inheritor feats you have.

There a feat to gain +int mod free spells to your book each level.
    Second one sounds broken beyond reasonable, first one is not what I'm looking for, but thanks
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-03-20 at 06:11 PM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Precocious Apprentice, from Complete Arcane.

Spoiler
    Show

Prerequisite: Spellcasting ability (Int or Cha) 15, arcane caster level 1st.

Benefit: Choose one 2nd-level spell from a school of magic you have access to. You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell. Until your level is high enough to allow you to cast 2nd-level spells, you must succeed on a DC 8 caster level check to successfully cast this spell; if you fail, the spell is miscast to no effect. Your caster level with the chosen spell is your normal caster level, even if this level is insufficient to cast the spell under normal circumstances.

When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells, you lose the benefit described above but retain the extra 2nd-level spell slot, which you can use to prepare or spontaneously cast a spell of 2nd level or lower as you normally would.

Finally, you gain a +2 bonus on all Spellcraft checks.

Special: You can take this feat only as a 1st level character.

After looking at the feats found what you where talking about. Was going to go full grapple and touch attack instead of infinite +1 health/turn as a standard action. Better action economy.

For what it's worth, my character is already a pretty arcane-flavored Swordsage.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2024-03-20 at 06:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Never saw these system technical questions asked;
    Is Intelligence permanent gain retroactive regarding skill points?
    Saves and Bab fractional or just base rules?
    Permanent gain is retroactive,
    Base rules with saves and Bab

Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    Variel should be finished, pending GM review. Background, personality, and description are brief but they're there, let me know if you would like me to expand on them.
    Brief background is fine.

That does sound pretty fun.

I would like to go away from arcane sword sage I think it complicates the matter more than helping.

@Burning Spear: I'm sorry it seemed I looked at a totally wrong Revenant.

I did read about the official Revenant and... Uh... I have to think about it. This game is not for a personal vendetta about the one who killed you and the fast healing and the immunities. Exist.

I have to let it tumble in my head a bit, I'll want to write any potential changes in the recruitment thread that we are all on the same page and I want the group to be "roughly" on the same power level.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    Precocious Apprentice, from Complete Arcane.

Spoiler
    Show

Prerequisite: Spellcasting ability (Int or Cha) 15, arcane caster level 1st.

Benefit: Choose one 2nd-level spell from a school of magic you have access to. You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell. Until your level is high enough to allow you to cast 2nd-level spells, you must succeed on a DC 8 caster level check to successfully cast this spell; if you fail, the spell is miscast to no effect. Your caster level with the chosen spell is your normal caster level, even if this level is insufficient to cast the spell under normal circumstances.

When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells, you lose the benefit described above but retain the extra 2nd-level spell slot, which you can use to prepare or spontaneously cast a spell of 2nd level or lower as you normally would.

Finally, you gain a +2 bonus on all Spellcraft checks.

Special: You can take this feat only as a 1st level character.

That's the one! thanks!
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Permanent gain is retroactive,
    Base rules with saves and Bab
    Okidoki
    Are you aware of "Elephant in the Room" rules for feats?

@Burning Spear: I'm sorry it seemed I looked at a totally wrong Revenant.
    No biggie
    I did read about the official Revenant and... Uh... I have to think about it. This game is not for a personal vendetta about the one who killed you and the fast healing and the immunities. Exist.
    The Vendetta and my god sending me out to kill his targets is a side-effect, I am not playing a one-trick-pony story-wise.. , Also, story-wise, he only just became undead, so he doesn't know all of what he can do/ immunities he has, so I will be playing him that way, as if he is still human. And Hp, he doesn't have an endless amount of them, so, even with fast healing, he won't be wading into combat frontline to soak up all the hits..

Read his fluff, and this might help understand moreso how I'd play him.
    I have to let it tumble in my head a bit, I'll want to write any potential changes in the recruitment thread that we are all on the same page and I want the group to be "roughly" on the same power level.
    You did say initially one can be anything, hence my application..
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-03-21 at 07:24 AM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Consider me interested:
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2890336

Savage Species Imp, vaguely built around charisma and int, plan is to go for a dip in psion (egoist) for the at will minor change shape acf, then all-in on fiend of posession to buff and assist the party. Then if the game’s beyond that, I dunno.

(this is… really weak imo. No spells, combat abilities are gonna be a trashfire, but potentially some cool stuff I wanna try out.

there’s some tweaking to be done on the savage species imp: the 3.5 update to imps doesn’t give them regeneration. I’ve included the weird ability score increases they get (dex and wis) but if you want I can remove those as I’m not sure where that is on the 3.5 example imp as a point of comparison. )

Backstory:

Spoiler: Art I’d be using on the sheet as I think it looks cool
    Show

An imp from Phegethos, Ishanna was rather uninterested in promotion. In her long life she grew accustomed to being an imp, working on the material, and enjoyed what she did. Balancing the careful successes and ‘failures’ to keep herself comfortably in her current role has worked for centuries…

Until recently, when a pit fiend supervisor noticed that this one imp was seemingly failing to ensnare one soul every 6 souls. The regularity was in and of itself, an irregularity.

Under much more scrutiny, Ishanna has been given a deadline.

One century. 1000 souls.

Success would mean forced promotion whether she likes it or not, failure would mean busted down to Nupperino… and possibly even worse.

This is potentially Ishanna’s last century as an imp, and she intends to enjoy it, and not only capture 1000 souls for Hell, but exceed that, tenfold, so she can prove her worth and remain an imp and live in the manner to which she is accustomed to for the rest of time.

And so, she follows the party, either invisibly or as a bird for now, believing them to be potentially useful for her goals.
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2024-03-21 at 12:25 PM.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin Re: D&D 3.5 low-power; Dungeon of Strangeness 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Consider me interested:
    Until recently, when a pit fiend supervisor noticed that this one imp was seemingly failing to ensnare one soul every 6 souls. The regularity was in and of itself, an irregularity.

Under much more scrutiny, Ishanna has been given a deadline.

One century. 1000 souls.

Success would mean forced promotion whether she likes it or not, failure would mean busted down to Nupperino… and possibly even worse.

This is potentially Ishanna’s last century as an imp, and she intends to enjoy it, and not only capture 1000 souls for Hell, but exceed that, tenfold, so she can prove her worth and remain an imp and live in the manner to which she is accustomed to for the rest of time.

And so, she follows the party, either invisibly or as a bird for now, believing them to be potentially useful for her goals.[/I]

If my Celestial Warlock is selected, hopefully you don't randomly show up and I Eldritch Blast you since I can see through invisibility.
    Last edited by AscarothD; 2024-03-21 at 10:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Name: Nero Clodia Race Class Silverbrow human, Duskblade Profession Wander Alignment CN Age 22

Coming from a long line of wizards and sorcerers, his father sent him to study, but all he wanted was to be a soldier and a great swordsman. His first mentor, the sorcerer Orfin, also his uncle, saw Nero skill with the sword, his desire to be the best, and the look of someone about to run and find his own destiny. Not wanting to lose his position and disgrace the family, Orophen decided to send Nero to study with the Dusk Edges. Nero's swordsmanship could be cultivated there, and yet his magical abilities would not be lost to the family.

Nero threw himself into training him without regard for everything else. Months turned into years, but it seemed too soon for his mentors to warn him that he couldn't learn anything more from them. With the exception of one of them, who was recent with the fame of his family. He decided to challenge him to use his techniques with a whip. Frustrated by the frustrating weapon he focused on it until he ended up asking at a bar and there he was introduced to the spinning blade. Shortly afterward he was able to show the jealous teacher his progress, leaving him once again frustrated with the family.
    The other masters, seeing this and not wanting to let him stagnate, released him to find his destiny and forbade him to return until he had made a name for himself and was truly worthy of joining their ranks as a Dusk Sword. .

This is how Nero finds himself a few months later in a world he has only read about, in a dusty old tomb, playing dice with some new acquaintances and 4 unpleasant guys.

Sheet its a WIP. Need to spend money.

The weapon is a spining blade, fuffled as a whip sword. Like Ivy from Soul calibur.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okidoki
    SNIP
    Okay I looked at the Revenant in more detail and it has a lot of stuff that seems pretty relevant for a revenant which you kinda needed to build around (like with the item that let's you exist longer as a Revenant for example) a lot of stuff will not ever come up (like you're vendetta)

Could I propose the following:

Strangeness undead player race.

Just undead traits,
    Strength +2
    LA + 1

No worries about needing to live longer, you can still play it with the background and I don't have to worry about Fast Healing, DR and a bunch of immunities.

And I'm aware of Elephant in the room, I don't want it for this game, but that's kinda the reason I gave away 2 bonus feats should you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Consider me interested:
    SNIP
    That is a fun concept.

You can have the weird ability retribution and I would prefer no regeneration or Fast Healing.

I like the goal, though it probably wouldn't play much of a role in the dungeon escape.

Name: Nero Clodia Race Class Silverbrow human, Duskblade Profession Wander Alignment CN Age 22

SNIP

The weapon is a spining blade, fuffled as a whip sword. Like Ivy from Soul calibur.
    Spinning blade fluffed like a whip sword is fine with me.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

still taking interest?

EDIT: if so, im working on a fire themed fire cleric, binder, Bard, dragon shaman. Fire, fire everywhere.

Infernox
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-03-22 at 06:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    still taking interest?

EDIT: if so, im working on a fire themed fire cleric, binder, Bard, dragon shaman. Fire, fire everywhere.

Infernox
    Heh. "[S]ome men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." Also, have a double serving of respect for the whole six-levles-five-classes setup there!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-03-23 at 09:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Nero Clodia Sheet finished

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Heh. "[S]ome men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." Also, have a double serving of respect for the whole six-levles-five-classes setup there!
    Exactly!

War, war never changes...er, i mean, FIRE!!!, FIRE NEVER CHANGES!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

If I missed it, what was the deadline anyways?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

None that I know of. Sometimes the treads stop for a while. RL gets in the way.

27. - Top - End - #87

AssassinGuy

Or it could be the buggy site.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Or it could be the buggy site.
    That too. :P
    Or the PC gnomes are acting up. Its a mystery inside a marshmellow!!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I would post my interest. This would be my first time with 3.5e, so I don’t know how to make an intentionally bad character, but I was thinking a Bard with Vow of Non-violence.
    Last edited by ProgressPaladin; 2024-03-29 at 10:13 AM.
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: D&D 3.5 low-power; Dungeon of Strangeness 2.0

You've got the right idea...!

Yeah, this website's been real cranky lately. And it's hurting my feeling😿s.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni