New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Best Build To Boost Attack?

Hi all!

I play a summons-focused druid in a campaign where the monsters' ACs have gone through the roof lol (mostly due to two party members whose attack bonuses have as well). I am able to roll a second character (we're currently level 19) and I'd like to roll something that will help my other party mates and my summons actually be able to hit :D. So far one great suggestion has been Bard/Crusader, and I may do that. First, though, I figured I'd see if anyone here has any ideas.

Thank you in advance!!
    Last edited by Windaar; 2024-03-13 at 01:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Best Build To Boost Attack?

Nabbing access to the spell divine power (through the Extra Spell feat) would work.

Although maybe you should focus on touch attacks and effects that don't require attack rolls at all.

Some points in Craft (Alchemy) could help a lot, since a number of alchemical items cause damage as a ranged touch attack, and some even inflict penalties on AC. Eggshell grenades are especially nice, since blinding enemies has all sorts of nice benefits. For you, not for them. And depending on what kind of animal companion you have, you could have an ape or monkey throw them, while an eagle, hawk, or raven could drop them from above. If all else fails, kit the whole group out with alchemical items to use in exchange for them giving you money for the ingredients (with possibly a bit extra on top for your time).
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2024-03-13 at 02:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

If you want to help others with their to-hit bonuses, I'd recommend a persistomancer: An Incantatrix that can persist/chain the buff spells of other party members, as well as its own.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Persistent wraithstrike + persistent greater blink is pretty good for penetrating most sources of AC bonus.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In general, the best classes to boost the team's attack bonuses are Bard and Cleric.

With Bard take the feat Song of the Heart (ECS), the spell Inspirational Boost (SpC) and get a Badge of Valor (MIC p.207) and a Vest of Legends (DMG2). Your Inspire Courage and Inspire Greatness now give +10 to attack between them. There's also Words of Creation (BoED) but that can get downright cheesy so know your DM there. Can also cast Haste and Elation (BoED). Inner Beauty (FC I) can also improved Dex-based attacks but is single-target.

Clerics can cast Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SpC), Recitation (SpC), Greater Magic Weapon, and Elation (BoED) for between +6 and +10 to attack. All of those can be Persisted (except GMW which lasts all day anyway). Divine Agility (SpC) can give a further boost to Dex-based attacks but is single-target.

Most ability-score boosting spells (although not Elation) can be improved with the Ability Enhancer feat (Dragon Compendium).

I assume your Druid is using Aura of Vitality (SpC) regularly?
    Last edited by Biggus; 2024-03-14 at 05:55 AM. Reason: typo

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

This sounds like a case of the DM wanting to win the arms race. Talk to your DM about this issue.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Craft Contingent Spell + True Strike may be helpful.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    This sounds like a case of the DM wanting to win the arms race. Talk to your DM about this issue.
    I did think something similar, I suspect ACs will increase again if the OP succeeds in raising attack bonuses. Although to be fair to the DM, it may not be so much a case of "wanting to win the arms race" as "wanting to provide a meaningful challenge" - if most opponents get power attacked to death in the first round, they're not really much of a threat.
    Last edited by Biggus; 2024-03-19 at 05:46 AM. Reason: typo

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    Lol! Sort of, but it's not really his fault. One of our players is "ruining the curve." ;)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if the problem is that the highest and lowest attack bonuses in the party are too far apart, a party-wide boost to attack isn’t going to fix that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Windaar View Post
    Lol! Sort of, but it's not really his fault. One of our players is "ruining the curve." ;)
    That could be solved more simply OoC, DM to player. Otherwise the DM will have to get a little creative. What kind of build does the player that's "ruining the curve" have?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    That could be solved more simply OoC, DM to player. Otherwise the DM will have to get a little creative. What kind of build does the player that's "ruining the curve" have?
    Some kind of optimized puncher based on the Tome of Battle.

Before we go too far into this, though, I should say that there's also a good amount of "homebrew" and each PC has its own funkiness.