New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Items fueled by your life

Hello,

I have been looking for this for awhile and I think the only item I have found is... The band of blood rage.

I am looking for every item fueled by HP or ability damage or ability drain...
    As long as it damages you in a way it works.

Anyone?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Items fueled by your life

Vicious weapons deal 1d6 damage to the user to deal +2d6 damage to the target. In the same vein, the specific Life-Drinker greataxe inflicts one negative level to the user on-hit to inflict two to anyone hit. These are backlash-based rather than cost-to-operate, but do seem to fit the critera.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Would a Gal-Ralan count? It's from Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, page 155. Mostly, it works like a Cloak of Resistance reslotted to the arms. But it has the added benefit that the bonus to saves increases by +2 against death effects and energy drain. It also has the added drawback that the wearer suffers 1 point of Constitution damage that can't be healed until the armbands are removed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Items there aren't a lot of, but Corrupt spells from BoVD all impose some sort of ability damage in order for you to do what they do.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Vicious weapons deal 1d6 damage to the user to deal +2d6 damage to the target. In the same vein, the specific Life-Drinker greataxe inflicts one negative level to the user on-hit to inflict two to anyone hit. These are backlash-based rather than cost-to-operate, but do seem to fit the critera.
    Sadly I am aware of the existence of these items. And surprised there is no equivalent of vicious for ranged weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Would a Gal-Ralan count? It's from Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, page 155. Mostly, it works like a Cloak of Resistance reslotted to the arms. But it has the added benefit that the bonus to saves increases by +2 against death effects and energy drain. It also has the added drawback that the wearer suffers 1 point of Constitution damage that can't be healed until the armbands are removed.
    Interesting. It kinda does but not really. If you could activate an effect by taking the constitution damage point that would have been great...

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Items there aren't a lot of, but Corrupt spells from BoVD all impose some sort of ability damage in order for you to do what they do.
    I know these, I am trying to find their non-spell equivalent.

There is some rituals in Lords of Darkness. Ritual of the dark flame and the ritual of shadow walking who does more or less what I am looking for.
    But these are rituals. Not magical items.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    Sadly I am aware of the existence of these items. And surprised there is no equivalent of vicious for ranged weapons.
    Hang on, you said the only one you were aware of is the band of blood rage. Are there any others you know of, to save others wasting their time posting about things you already know about?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Hang on, you said the only one you were aware of is the band of blood rage. Are there any others you know of, to save others wasting their time posting about things you already know about?
    You are right, this is my bad on this one. It is just that since they are from the SRD, they are really hard to miss. All the other way I know to achieve that are from class features, feats or spells.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Tome of the Stilled Tongue lowers hp to increase caster level by 1.

You can use energy drain to charge Wands via the spell Soul Charge.
    Last edited by Fero; 2024-03-15 at 10:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The bands are part of a set called the Instruments of the Blood Gift consisting of three items that all deal damage to the user in order to activate their effects.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Book of Blood (Complete Arcane) - allow to use Finger of Death at the cost of 1 hp drain (not damage - drain!)

Gal‐Ralan (Dungeon #132) - cause 1 Con damage that can't be healed while Gal‐Ralan is worn

Ghost Mantle (Dragon #331) - causing 1 Con drain every round until either it's removed - or the wearer is slain; drain is hidden from the wearer (required DC 20 Wis check to notice)

Shimmaryn (Magic of Faerűn) - uses above 3/day drain 1 Con

Tome of Shared Secrets (Dragon #348) - allow to sacrifice (drain) 1 Con to get +4 competence on attack rolls, skill checks, and saving throws against a kind of creatures (such as "Green Dragons", "Pit Fiends", or "Vampires") for 6 days; if Con is restored before 6 days, effect would end prematurely; the Tome is priceless

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Dragonspectre Flute (Dragons of Faerun)

Hammer of Sacrifice (Arms and Equipment Guide)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

In case it's not too late yet: Thrall of Fraz-Urb'luu PrC (Dragon #333) at 5th level get Staff Mastery CF, and one of its effects is ability to spend your Con instead of the staff's charges (if you're immune to Con damage - then it doesn't work)