New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tell me about your character...

Flynn Gro'Arbork | Wood Orc (Half wood elf, half orc; in PP's campaign orcs and elves can cross breed. They sometimes do).

Spoiler: Where he's from, the Fiach Wood (campaign starting area)
    Show
    The character's origin / homeland is in the Fiach Wood, which is a northern, temperate-clime arboreal forest with few old growth trees. This aspect of the forest was due to the Cataclysm that happened about 250 years ago. A once well populated region was turned into a wasteland; it took a long time for the land to heal.
    The woods extend for thousands of square miles. It is bordered on the north by the northern coastal plan, flat lands. Through its middle running east and west are the central hills and mountains. The southern borderlands meet the great plains of the Horseclans ... who are semi xenophobic. Some trade but not much between them and the forest clans. To the east lies To the West lies the Caldera and a dragonborn kingdom, to the east a different forest that is the western region of a humanoid confederacy.

The various ruins of this once well populated and fertile area have mostly been overgrown by forest and some scrubland ...

Monk 1/Cleric (Light) 2 | Acolyte background | Tor Elan is the sun god
    ======================
    Flynn Gro'Arbork
    Spoiler: How did Flynn become an adventurer?
    Show
    Father (Kormak) was the third son in a family of five. He had little status in the tribe: his two older brothers got most of the acclaim, his two sisters were married off young. The tribe came across a camp near an old ruin. Lying there were a dozen dead wood elves and one badly mauled survivor. She was adopted into the tribe and nursed back to health.

As she healed Kormak would take Vellama hunting with him; she never felt comfortable in the camp but preferred the wilds and the forests. She could never describe what had happened to her family other than the visions of monstrosities coming up out of the ground, into their camp site. The shamen gave her infusions to keep the nightmares away.

Kromak and Vellama became a mating pair, their union celebrated on a Mid-Summer Night feast.
    She gave birth to triplets under a full moon at the spring equinox. Flynn was the last one out. She could only nurse two boys, but Flynn was fortunate in another's misfortune: the chieftan's niece had had a still birth three days before; she nursed him to health.
    The omens cast on his ninth birthday were unambiguous: he was the third son of a third son and was thus Tor Elan's own, according to the traditions of clan Arbork. Kormak and Vellama made the journey to offer him to the temple in Lyodnoir - the capital of the dragonborn kingdom to the west, and the location of the Temple of the Sun.
    He was accepted. He had just turned ten.

An apt pupil, Flynn never stopped missing the hills, streams, trees and lakes of his homeland. He missed the songs sung at sunset with the clan. While he excelled in the martial arts and sporting games, his curiosity drew him more to the great library, and to the great hall of the Sun where divine ceremonies were celebrated.

Upon coming of age, and despite already rising in the ranks of Tor Elan's disciples, he asked to be allowed to return home.

"I must bring sunlight to the shadows under the forest's shade. If I can push back the darkness that consumed my mother's family, I shall bring glory to the Sun, and to Tor Elan." He set out for the Fiach Wood, hoping to find them again, perhaps in the eastern eaves of the forest.
    Along the way he met Goban (Ranger) ...and the rest, as they say, is the history that we will make together ...

Not sure who the other two characters are going to be yet, but I think they will be a Lunar Sorcerer and some brand of Barbarian.
    Edit: confirmed yes to both of those.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-13 at 10:19 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Tell me about your character...

Medieval Fantasy (Greyhawk Setting) | D&D 5E

Spoiler: The Reaver
    Show
    I normally enjoy playing good and heroic characters that have a strong sense of morality and duty. So for our current Greyhawk game, I decided to go in a different direction.

When tragedy struck the man known as Exal, and he lost his family and found himself as a slave in the fighting pits of Highport, his prayers went unanswered. But when he screamed vows of vengeance, one god did reply; Erythnul.

Exal fought his way through the ranks of the fighting pits, and learned blood magic through his devotion to Erythnul. Eventually, he gained power enough to escape his bonds and flee from the Pomarj.

Now, the champion of Erythnul known only as The Reaver is a vigilante and mercenary for hire in the Sheldomar Valley. The people know that if they whisper the man's name in their darkest hour, Erythnul will send him to spill blood.

Enough have cried out in rage and fury for the blood of the giants that have rampaged through the Valley, taking countless lives with them. The Reaver was not invited to meet with the Duke, but has infiltrated the giant strongholds to eviscerate the titans on behalf of those that have called out to Erythnul for bloody revenge.

--------------

I enjoy playing this character because he jives real well with the whole murder-hobo vibe, killing monsters and looting their stuff. In addition, he's somewhat of a performer, rhyming in combat as prayers to Erythnul and reveling in the fear and mayhem he causes among his targets. He is a part of the order of Erythnul that leans Chaotic Neutral, and only kills bad people/monsters. He appeases Erythnul to gain more power and eventually get his revenge against those that betrayed him, killed his family, and left him for dead.

Spoiler: Some of his poetry
    Show
    Introduction to the party

My name shall never be known,
    My face shall never be shown,

But if you're most eager,
    You can call me The Reaver,

And now the pleasantries are done.

Explaining his perspective on serving the God of Slaughter

Erythnul's a bit of a doozy,
    You'll find a little more choosey,

If you're of no worth,
    I'll give a wide berth,

But if worthy I'll kill you most cruelly.

Recited during a grand melee in the Great Hall of the Front Giant Glacier, surrounded by many frost giants and the Jarl

Here where the sun hangs low,
    And all is covered in snow,

The frost giants raid and reave,
    And make the small folk bleed,

But a force from the hill giant steading,
    Will deliver the jarl's armaggeddon,

We creep through the ice and snow,
    Felling giants with each mighty blow,

They die trying to put up a fight,
    When they know they should run at first sight,

Of the Reaver and Talesin the Silent,
    And Hobby and Rezok, most violent,