New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Building From Homebrew

If you had to build a new PHB using only Homebrew Classes posted on this site, what would you include (and links)?

So not just what is the best hombrew, but which sets collectively capture a coherent aesthetic and a comparable power level that would work well together? Ideally multiple authors but no harm in including your own work. What tends to make you consider a piece of 3rd party homebrew right for your games?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Building From Homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    If you had to build a new PHB using only Homebrew Classes posted on this site, what would you include (and links)?

So not just what is the best hombrew, but which sets collectively capture a coherent aesthetic and a comparable power level that would work well together? Ideally multiple authors but no harm in including your own work. What tends to make you consider a piece of 3rd party homebrew right for your games?

Wow, I don't know, because I really haven't been looking around all that much on homebrew classes. I'll look for some good ones!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm not as much full class brew gets posted here, so using stuff just from this site is tough.

Twelvetrees has put together a compilation of every class that has shown up in its own thread. Here's a link to the first post of the compendium. There are a lot of options, so it's hard to pick a favorite without spending a ton of time.

Using the thread as a reference, I'd probably start here:
    • A leader class of some kind. Tactician, Warlord, and Marshal all have a few entries. I've got a Warlord that I'm pretty proud of, but there are a lot of competing options I'd want to read through before submitting this as the best option.
    • A maneuver-based martial class (I'd lean to just one). Warblade, Swordsage, and Martial Adept.
    • A class for smart people that aren't wizards. I see Savant, Seeker, and Scholar all in the S's which is funny. Investigator and Professor could apply. There's almost certainly more.
    • A nature-themed class about turning into animals that skips all the druid's spellcasting nonsense. The wildling seems to fit here. The ozodrin maybe if it was reflavored (I assume that's cheating). I could see the Totemist filling this role as well.
    • A built-in arcane gish to complete the arcane/divine/primal triangle set up by the Paladin & Ranger. Swordmage, Spellsword, and Spellblade have maybe 20 results total lol. Gonna take a while to pick through them.
    • A psionic class. Just reading the Psion list would take me a couple hours lol. Wilder has a couple results too. The only recommendation I can strongly make is not to use the Makijenji.
    • A high-complexity, summon-focused class like the Summoner, or Pokemon Master. If none of those fit, a Necromancer or Thanator would work, but I think the death-themed minionmancer is a little too narrow of a theme.
    • A class for being beefy and pulling aggro. People ask for "tanking" a lot, and I think one class should execute on this. Knight, Defender, Vanguard, and Warden all seem to have a few good hits. I published the Jasarker which I think would be a good fit, though I think it needs less of a cold-theme.
    • A new simple class for people who want the aesthetics of magic blasting without the complexity of spells. Not sure how I would look for this. I see a class called the Invoker and one called the Channeler.
    • A class that makes purely supportive, pacifist style of play. Rune-themed classes seem like they could work here (Runecarver, Runecaster), as do cloth-wearing supportive classes (Priest) and potion-themed classes (Apothecary).
    • An every-person class with a lot of situational flexibility. A little casting, a little damage, a little support, a few tricks for the adventuring day. Factotum and Chameleon are the right vibe, maybe there's more.
    • One splashy, funny, or otherwise oddball class that turns peoples' heads so they give the book a closer look. I could see a class for turning into a monster (I only see the Ozodrin), a Truenamer (couple of these), Van Dock's Armiger is narrow but I could see it. Alternatively, I could see a joke-y class like The Fool.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Handy-dandy compendium, made by Twelvetrees.
    I think that'd be a big assist for this task.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Handy-dandy compendium, made by Twelvetrees.
    I think that'd be a big assist for this task.
    Wow i didnt realize i made the list. Like almost a dozen times even!
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika