New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Mercantile Background: what magic items would you like to borrow?

Mercantile Background is a regional feat from PgtF that is very unique, potentially broken, but sees little actual use because it only makes sense to take in games that start from low, but takes a long time to actually show a return on investment, i.e. why pick it instead of a feat that actually makes the character better now and improves their survival odds?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercantile Background
    When you sell weapons, magic items, or other adventuring goods, you get 75% of the list price instead of 50%. Once per month, you can buy any single item at 75% of the offered price.
    On the face, it just designed to let a given character's wealth out-pace that of others.

One thing that has occurred to me in regards to it is though is that the monthly purchase at 75% combined with the default 75% sale means that it opens up the possibility to effectively "borrow" any given magic item for a month at no cost, if you got the starting capital to tie up.

So now I am wondering what magic items are there that aren't single use but provide a permanent benefit, i.e. good candiates to borrow?

First that comes to mind is the Sparring Dummy of the Master from A&E. For monks (or UMD capables), 4 weeks of daiy use gives you the ability to make 10 ft steps. Permanently. So great item to buy with end of quest loot (if you got 22500 gp to spare), use for 4 weeks, and then re-sell at the same price.

What other items of the sort can one think of?

EDIT: Lyre of Building also comes to mind, for what you want to do a big construction project but don't want to wait long or pay a workforce.
    Last edited by Jowgen; 2024-03-28 at 03:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource