New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 III: No Plans for DLC Or A Fourth Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    But what pissed me off in WotR was the vastly inflated ACs. "Hi, your martial characters are useless because we've given all the big enemies a +20 or more to AC."
    That was actually quite annoying at times. But, if you attack enough times, you'll eventually hit. That 5% chance on every attack still matters. I got around those pesky uber AC monsters by throwing an ungodly amount of attacks per round at them. Summons help soak up damage until you can manage to hit.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2024-04-11 at 12:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    That was actually quite annoying at times. But, if you attack enough times, you'll eventually hit. That 5% chance on every attack still matters. I got around those pesky uber AC monsters by throwing an ungodly amount of attacks per round at them. Summons help soak up damage until you can manage to hit.
    That sounds like a horrible game play experience though.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I wouldn't call it horrible, unless you want to classify everything that causes mild annoyance as horrible. It wasn't as if every creature, or the vast majority of them, had such highly inflated armor class. If I recall correctly, most of them were optional 'boss' monsters, or there was something else going on that either allowed alternative ways to defeat or bypass the encounter.

To be honest, there were tons of ways to get around high AC enemies, though little to be done with purely martial characters that chose to focus on just the one thing. Not even resistances or immunities stopped elemental attacks if you had the right mythic power or chose a mythic path that opened up other tactics. There are even mythic powers that let you deal damage even when you missed.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2024-04-11 at 05:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The one time I've liked that sort of mechanic is with the Geist from Battle Brothers. They have incredibly high evasion and 1 hit point. Battle Brothers uses honest dice rolls and has a lot of attacks per turn. If you're in melee with them, your chance of hitting them is pretty decent, but the hard part is breaking through the zombie front line to get to grips with the Geists in the back.

But remember what I said about honest dice rolls? The minimum hit chance is 5%. This means you can have your archers (who suck vs zombies anyway because a zombie doesn't really care how many arrows it has sticking out of it) spam attacks at them, and sooner or later they'll roll that natural 20 and the Geist goes down. There's only a few Geists per combat, so by preemptively flinging a crapton of missiles at the ghosts in the back you can remove most or all of them. It turns what would be a really irritating mechanic into an interesting tactical decision.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, I just started a Gale origin playthrough and I've got to say... The first night's rest was interesting, as is the magical item I received to consume. Ring of Evasion. Nah, I was not going to consume that. That ring is awesome.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Came back after a break, ended up restarting as a halfling lore bard. Also finally bothered to look into a hair bug I was getting, now some styles and beards look so much better.

I just need to remember to nab spells that target more than WIS saves. Oh, and probably Fireball/Lightning Bolt and Counterspell for my first Magical Secrets.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Came back after a break, ended up restarting as a halfling lore bard. Also finally bothered to look into a hair bug I was getting, now some styles and beards look so much better.

I just need to remember to nab spells that target more than WIS saves. Oh, and probably Fireball/Lightning Bolt and Counterspell for my first Magical Secrets.
    Counterspell, yes. Not sure about Fireball/Lightning Bolt, Glyph of Warding works almost as well damage-wise, gives you several options, and unlike table-top version it's pretty much an instantaneous spell, and it's also a Bard spell.