New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF1 Altered - Low Level Gestalt] Isekai Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by droobles View Post
    I guess we just need a detailed example on how to calculate RFS and if we apply archetype changes before calculating (like I did with the fighter example I showed).

From what I understood most abilities will either be a system (casting, maneuvers, etc.) That gives 20 rfs, single effects 1 rfs or with some progression 1 rfs for each upgrade (such as sneak attack, or conscript specializations).

Would rage and bard songs be a system or abilities with upgrades?

Corner cases would be animal companions, familiars and eidolons. The first and second cases are feat equivalents and usually limited to only 1. Eidolons are companions on steroids, so it is your ruling on that one.
    As someone who was considering soulknife // aegis I have so many questions that I can't really start to phrase them.

Like how many astral suits can I get going? Or how many mind blades?

There is also the whole question of improvements. I am very confused.

Some suggestions that might improve things:
    1) archetype incompatibility is not a thing you can just trade whatever of an archetype. You don't need to grab the whole thing. And if you traded away whatever you would use to grab it you can then trade trade that too.
    2) you get two sets of class features, if you don't trade them away they aren't doing anything for you but this way you can get more archetypes than you normally could.

I don't really know how I would fit the prestige classes thing there.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Set 1
    Show
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Spoiler: Set 2
    Show
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Spoiler: Set 3
    Show
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[9]

Spoiler: Set 4
    Show
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[8]

Spoiler: Set 5
    Show
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[17]

Spoiler: Set 6
    Show
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]

Of these, set 5 looks best, and I'll be a human gestalt Bard (Chronicler of Worlds) and Alchemist (Mind Chemist).

17+2+1= 20 int
    15 dex
    13 con
    13 wis
    12 str
    10 cha

favored class bonus: +6 skillpoints

Backstory: Hailing from Earth, Tom Finklestein is an avid enjoyer of the Isekai genera and a doctoral student in chemical engineering. One day at a comic con, Tom touches a magical comic book and is transported to a faraway fantasy world.

Build: This build is a skillmonkey with a emphasis on gathering knowledge, identifying magic items, and social skills.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2024-04-02 at 10:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Making some assumptions for now so I can work on the build in a slightly more than speculative manner....

1) Major pets (animal companions, Phantoms, Eidolons, et cetera) are considered systems, and are one rfs/level. Familiars areone and done (equivalent to a feat).
    2) Most things cost 1rfs whenever they advance (e.g,the Animal domain costs one each atfirst and fourth; the Oracle's Cursecosts at 1st, 5th, 10th, and 15th; Smite Evil costs each time the paladin gets a usefor the day; etcetera)
    3) Multiples of the same choice are permitted (e.g., an Oracle with two mysteries, a Druid with two Animal Companions, et cetera) as long as you pay for them.
    4) Third party content is OK from d20pfsrd.com.
    5) RFS "crossing" from one side of the gestalt to the other is OK (e.g., losing Sneak Attack from the rogue to pay for more Paladin Smites or something)
    6) Races without an RP listing are OK.
    7) aonsrd.com content is limited to Pathfinder 1 (so no playing Starfinder races)

Please let me know where I go wrong with the above.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro_Nogard View Post

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    Taking try 2
    Aasimar (Mod stat), Majordomo&DI / Artisan or Blacksmith

Str [11]
    Dex [13] +2
    Con [13]
    Int [15] +2
    Wis [13]
    Cha [10]

Going to make one hell of a butler. :P

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Making some assumptions for now so I can work on the build in a slightly more than speculative manner....

1) Major pets (animal companions, Phantoms, Eidolons, et cetera) are considered systems, and are one rfs/level. Familiars areone and done (equivalent to a feat).
    2) Most things cost 1rfs whenever they advance (e.g,the Animal domain costs one each atfirst and fourth; the Oracle's Cursecosts at 1st, 5th, 10th, and 15th; Smite Evil costs each time the paladin gets a usefor the day; etcetera)
    3) Multiples of the same choice are permitted (e.g., an Oracle with two mysteries, a Druid with two Animal Companions, et cetera) as long as you pay for them.
    5) RFS "crossing" from one side of the gestalt to the other is OK (e.g., losing Sneak Attack from the rogue to pay for more Paladin Smites or something)
    7) aonsrd.com content is limited to Pathfinder 1 (so no playing Starfinder races)

For my build I just need to know if we can apply archetypes before turning everything into rfs.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

For my build I just need to know if we can apply archetypes before turning everything into rfs.
    If I understand it I think we can just pick and choose from any features any archetype of the class has?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    If I understand it I think we can just pick and choose from any features any archetype of the class has?
    yes, but in my example I increased the total RFS applying archetypes before calculating RFS.

Example: Vanilla Fighter 20

11 RFS: Bonus Feats
    05 RFS: Bravery
    05 RFS: Armor TRaining + Armor Mastery
    05 RFS: Weapon TRaining + Weapon MAstery

Total: 26 RFS

Now, if you apply Runesinger archetype you trade Armor Training/Armor Mastery for Runes and Expert Combat talents progression

so you trade 05 RFS for 21 RFS, 16 RFS difference.

The same thing happens if you apply the Myrmidon Archetype, you trade 4 bonus feats for a Martial progression, plus stances, grit and deeds.

so you trade 04 RFS for another 25 RFS.

I you just use the RFS from vanilla, fighter gets shafted.
    Last edited by Duqueen; 2024-04-02 at 09:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    1. You should probably edit the paladin example then. As paladin only gets 46 RFS, they can't actually spend 3 per level for spellcasting+maneuvers+spheres, they would have to sacrifice 14 levels worth.

2. Ignore chassis thing, was only relevant assuming a flat number of features per level.

5. Isn't that balanced by them being weaker early on? Giving up features at lvl 6 for features you'll get at lvl 9 means being underpowered from lvl 6-8, and the longer you delay, the longer you're spending underpowered.

7. Firstly, I'm counting 35 RFS for Arcanist. Are you not counting Cantrips and Greater Exploits? Secondly, Paladin doesn't get more things trading the bad spellcasting, it's still just 20 slots. Paladin has more points, but that's from having more nonspellcasting features. The spellcasting the two classes have takes up the same number of slots, but one of them is far better. Still, I can drop the argument if this is intended.
    Well, after revieing it you have some reason here, Paladin is paying same for less casting regardless of having more features, so, I will weight Full systems and partial systems costs, Rules will be updated

New questions that have occurred to me overnight.

A) Let's suppose I'm playing Sorcerer. At lvl 3, I purchase both the "bloodline power" and "bloodline spell" class features. Do I have to purchase these from the same bloodline, and all subsequent "bloodline" abilities from the same bloodline, or am I able to select the power from one bloodline and the spell from another, similar to how I can mix-and-match archetype features?

B) I know we can spend RFS on bonus feats, even if the base class doesn't get that many bonus feats. Can we do similar with other features that are feat-equivalent choices, taking more of them than the base class would get? For example, if I'm playing an Oracle, could I spend RFS on additional Revelations?

C) Conscript has a number of class features they can purchase via spending bonus feats, but obviously all their usual feats/talents are getting turned into RFS. Suppose that I want to purchase a Sphere Specialization. That's a single feature...that gives benefits at four different levels...and normally requires you to give up seven bonus feats. How many RFS does it cost, and when do I pay? Options:
    • 1 RFS at level 1, and give all subsequent upgrades when those levels are reached.
    • 1 RFS at levels 1, 3, 8, and 20, since that's when you gain benefits.
    • 1 RFS at levels 1, 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, and 20, since that's when you'd normally pay the bonus feats for taking this feature on a Conscript normally.

I'm assuming the answer is the second option, but I wanna be sure.
    A. Since the whole purpose is to have a customized builds I would say yes
    B. Yes you can buy Revelation Feature (Single Feature) many times
    C. A Feature with benefits at different levels will be called Staged Features, and you can pay 1 RSF per stage at given level, I will update rules for this. So yes, Option 2 is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    So, the class houserules is FFd20 freelancer customization? Anything from d20pfsrd including third party?
    Don't know about FFd20, but will review it in the future to get more ideas for this PF mode. Yes anything from d20pfsrd is a fair play

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin View Post
    I’m confused. I thought paladins only got 3 features at first level.
    It's 3 RSF + 1 RSF from translating spellcasting into RSF (1 per level)

Currently looking at an Oracle//Summoner

With the feature system... does this mean I could trade out the summoner casting for a second eidolon of a different sort? E.g., have both a worn Eidolon via Synthesist and a regular one, then trade out the Summon Monster spell-like ability to cherry-pick from other Summoner archetypes?
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro_Nogard View Post
    Interested, just need to see what I get to start thinking what to play.

Can we take 3p material from the d20pfsrd page?
    Yes, 3P is allowed

... what about non-RP'd races? I'm currently looking at Kitsune.
    Kitsune is 10 RP according to calculations:

0 RP: Standard ability score modifier
    0 RP: Medium size
    0 RP: Humanoid
    0 RP: Normal base speed
    1 RP: Low-light vision
    3 RP: Change shape (lesser)
    2 RP: Agile = skill bonus
    2 RP: Kitsune magic ~ Gnome magic
    2 RP: Natural weapons = Bite (increased by one size category)
    0 RP: Standard languages
    -----------
    10 RP

So, using a fighter + runesinger archetype + learned duelist (rondelero duelist) archetype + myrmidon archetype I would get 70 rfs, which then I use to buy all the class features I really want.

Trading half of the bonus feats, armor training and weapon training to get:

05 rfs bonus feats
    05 rfs bravery
    01 rfs weapon mastery
    01 rfs runes
    20 rfs expert practioner progression
    01 rfs grit
    05 rfs deeds
    20 rfs path of war progression
    05 rfs duelist stance
    04 rfs duelist training
    03 rfs (precise thrusting, science of the blade, surgical strike)

Is that how it works?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duqueen View Post
    yes, but in my example I increased the total RFS applying archetypes before calculating RFS.

Example: Vanilla Fighter 20

11 RFS: Bonus Feats
    05 RFS: Bravery
    05 RFS: Armor TRaining + Armor Mastery
    05 RFS: Weapon TRaining + Weapon MAstery

Total: 26 RFS

Now, if you apply Runesinger archetype you trade Armor Training/Armor Mastery for Runes and Expert Combat talents progression

so you trade 05 RFS for 21 RFS, 16 RFS difference.

The same thing happens if you apply the Myrmidon Archetype, you trade 4 bonus feats for a Martial progression, plus stances, grit and deeds.

so you trade 04 RFS for another 25 RFS.

I you just use the RFS from vanilla, fighter gets shafted.
    Sadly, I will have to take back what I said about trading before traslating, 70 RSF is somewhat too much and is not the intention for now. You can still buy Expert Practicioner by paying 5 RSF (Armor trainning x4 + Armor Mastery) because Fighter Archetypes allows it, same for Martial Initiator System by paying 4 RFS (4 feats at given level payment).

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    As someone who was considering soulknife // aegis I have so many questions that I can't really start to phrase them.

Like how many astral suits can I get going? Or how many mind blades?
    You can get as many Astral suits/Mindblades you can pay for (Those are Staged Features), you must track and buy stages for each suits and minblades separately.

The class system is a bit confusing to me but I'll give this some thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    well i am completely confused to the whole RFS bit but lets see what the dice gods say
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    I'm confused on this as well, but I do like Pathfinder and I haven't played in a while, so let's throw in another set for everyone to pick from, though let's be honest, no one's gonna roll better than Illven. That's an insane stat roll.
    There is also the whole question of improvements. I am very confused.
    Please don't hold back, shot as many questions as you have

Some suggestions that might improve things:
    1) archetype incompatibility is not a thing you can just trade whatever of an archetype. You don't need to grab the whole thing. And if you traded away whatever you would use to grab it you can then trade trade that too.
    2) you get two sets of class features, if you don't trade them away they aren't doing anything for you but this way you can get more archetypes than you normally could.

I don't really know how I would fit the prestige classes thing there.
    1. That is a thing already in this customization, you can cherry pick from all archetypes of a given class
    2. We will keep the original set of class features for now, I may increase the amount of RSF a class can have in the future
    3. For prestige classes, you can also cherry pick features with 2 conditions: First, you must qualify for the said PrC and Second, you must pay 2 RFS for a Feature from a PrC

1. Familiar = Simple Feature, Animal Companion and similar = Staged Feature, Eidolon and similar = System Feature
    2. Yes, these are called now Staged Features, you need to pay for each stage
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Nope, each side has it's own RFS pool, but that's an interesting game mode for the future
    6. Yes, but you need to weight the RP cost (as Kitsune sample above), and you can increased it to a 15 RP (maximum allowed), same for all other races under 15 RP
    7. Yes, do I need to specify it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    That is correct!

I guess we just need a detailed example on how to calculate RFS and if we apply archetype changes before calculating (like I did with the fighter example I showed).

From what I understood most abilities will either be a system (casting, maneuvers, etc.) That gives 20 rfs, single effects 1 rfs or with some progression 1 rfs for each upgrade (such as sneak attack, or conscript specializations).
    Yes, I will update rules and give a sample

Would rage and bard songs be a system or abilities with upgrades?
    These are Staged Features (abilities with upgrades)

Corner cases would be animal companions, familiars and eidolons. The first and second cases are feat equivalents and usually limited to only 1. Eidolons are companions on steroids, so it is your ruling on that one.
    Familiar = Simple Feature, Animal Companion and similar = Staged Feature, Eidolon and similar = System Feature

The class system is a bit confusing to me but I'll give this some thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    well i am completely confused to the whole RFS bit but lets see what the dice gods say
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    I'm confused on this as well, but I do like Pathfinder and I haven't played in a while, so let's throw in another set for everyone to pick from, though let's be honest, no one's gonna roll better than Illven. That's an insane stat roll.
    Please ask your questions. I will put a sample in the rules.
    Last edited by Talivan; 2024-04-03 at 01:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is Campaign traits OK with you?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Is Campaign traits OK with you?
    These are fine to use

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talivan View Post
    Don't know about FFd20, but will review it in the future to get more ideas for this PF mode. Yes anything from d20pfsrd is a fair play
    Final Fantasy d20 has a much higher baseline feature set in their classes than does standard Pathfinder. Take a look at the Illusionist, for example: Full casting, there are nine levels where the class gets two non-casting features on the class table... and "two per level" is as low as it goes. Many levels get three features, and a few get four or more. Ignoring the cantrips and limit breaks universal features, they have 20 (casting) + 56 (table entries) = 76 RFS... and I picked that as a random caster example from the class list. Most others work similarly.
    Yes, 3P is allowed
    Handy.
    Kitsune is 10 RP according to calculations:

0 RP: Standard ability score modifier
    0 RP: Medium size
    0 RP: Humanoid
    0 RP: Normal base speed
    1 RP: Low-light vision
    3 RP: Change shape (lesser)
    2 RP: Agile = skill bonus
    2 RP: Kitsune magic ~ Gnome magic
    2 RP: Natural weapons = Bite (increased by one size category)
    0 RP: Standard languages
    -----------
    10 RP
    Which means I could grab two 1st level at-will spell like abilities (or one at 2nd) for four points and get two bonus class skills for the "final" point. Handy.

Are spells tied to alternate systems valid for this? I'm specifically looking at Heroic Fortune with the intent of being a between-combat recharging station for the entire party (the "recall" option from Using Hero Points), allowing everyone to go nova every combat.

My alternate plan for that would be Celestial Healing and possibly Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon depending on my final class picks.
    1. Familiar = Simple Feature, Animal Companion and similar = Staged Feature, Eidolon and similar = System Feature
    Note that an Animal Companion gets something at every level except 7th, 11th, and 19th. So it's a very expensive staged feature (a limited version of which can also be had for 2 or 3 feats, with a fourth ).

Also... you're discussing class features as a complete pool on a 20th level build (e.g., casting is 20 RFS). Are we to approach them in that manner, aka, it doesn't matter what level the "traded out" feature comes from or the "traded in" feature shows up at?
    2. Yes, these are called now Staged Features, you need to pay for each stage
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    Cool, cool, cool...
    5. Nope, each side has it's own RFS pool, but that's an interesting game mode for the future
    But feats are valid choices for RFS slots, so in trading out, say, Paladin casting, the Whatever//Paladin would then have twenty feats that are simple generic feats, (potentially applying to the other side: e.g., an [caster]//Paladin picking up metamagic and item creation feats from losing Paladin Casting)?

And... speaking of item creation feats, does pre-game crafting grant the discount (potentially making double the game's already doubled WBL) or is it just fluff?
    6. Yes, but you need to weight the RP cost (as Kitsune sample above), and you can increased it to a 15 RP (maximum allowed), same for all other races under 15 RP
    7. Yes, do I need to specify it?
    Not really, I was just making sure.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2024-04-03 at 06:46 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Spoiler: Set 1
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Spoiler: Set 2
    Show
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]

Spoiler: Set 3
    Show
    [roll12]
    [roll13]
    [roll14]
    [roll15]
    [roll16]
    [roll17]

Spoiler: Set 4
    Show
    [roll18]
    [roll19]
    [roll20]
    [roll21]
    [roll22]
    [roll23]

Spoiler: Set 5
    Show
    [roll24]
    [roll25]
    [roll26]
    [roll27]
    [roll28]
    [roll29]

Spoiler: Set 6
    Show
    [roll30]
    [roll31]
    [roll32]
    [roll33]
    [roll34]
    [roll35]

Of these, set 5 looks best, and I'll be a human gestalt Bard (Chronicler of Worlds) and Alchemist (Mind Chemist).

17+2+1= 20 int
    15 dex
    13 con
    13 wis
    12 str
    10 cha

favored class bonus: +6 skillpoints

Backstory: Hailing from Earth, Tom Finklestein is an avid enjoyer of the Isekai genera and a doctoral student in chemical engineering. One day at a comic con, Tom touches a magical comic book and is transported to a faraway fantasy world.

Build: This build is a skillmonkey with a emphasis on gathering knowledge, identifying magic items, and social skills.
    Tallivan: Is this an acceptable build/backstory, or were you looking for a longer backstory and/or a different kind of build?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I have a question regarding animal companions.

In a standard game (no gestalt), animal companions are...generally wasted on classes other than druid, because druid list has a lot of powerful spells on it that focus around supporting the animal companion, and classes without the ability to supplement their buddy with 9th lvl spell support suffer in comparison. This problem is made worse in gestalt, as while the main PC has massive gains in their capabilities, the animal companion does not. If it's not a huge issue, I'd like to be able to stack animal companion progressions on the same companion, rather than having two fragile useless companions. Is that okay?

EDIT: On a similar note, could the animal companion use a rolled stat array instead of their default?
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2024-04-03 at 11:50 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

As people seem to be making different assumptions and yet no one has asked about it, I’ll go for it. For generating attributes, you wrote:

- Everyone rolls a set of 4d6b3 six times, then you can pick the set you like the most from all rolled sets.
    By roll a set of 4d6b3 six times, did you mean roll a set of six 4d6b3 once, roll a set of six 4d6b3 six times, or something else? Because if the first, the only option for picking sets other than your own is taking others, which is what most people seem to assume, while the second, you’d probably be limited to the six you rolled.

Edit: There are archetypes that change the main stat used for class features. Would that in of itself count as a class feature?
    Last edited by Dakrsidder; 2024-04-03 at 12:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Final Fantasy d20 has a much higher baseline feature set in their classes than does standard Pathfinder. Take a look at the Illusionist, for example: Full casting, there are nine levels where the class gets two non-casting features on the class table... and "two per level" is as low as it goes. Many levels get three features, and a few get four or more. Ignoring the cantrips and limit breaks universal features, they have 20 (casting) + 56 (table entries) = 76 RFS... and I picked that as a random caster example from the class list. Most others work similarly.
    Thanks for the FFd20 reference!

Are spells tied to alternate systems valid for this? I'm specifically looking at Heroic Fortune with the intent of being a between-combat recharging station for the entire party (the "recall" option from Using Hero Points), allowing everyone to go nova every combat.
    Yes, lets give Hero points a try, same for Stamina rules

Also... you're discussing class features as a complete pool on a 20th level build (e.g., casting is 20 RFS). Are we to approach them in that manner, aka, it doesn't matter what level the "traded out" feature comes from or the "traded in" feature shows up at?
    Didn't get what you asking, can you give me sample?

But feats are valid choices for RFS slots, so in trading out, say, Paladin casting, the Whatever//Paladin would then have twenty feats that are simple generic feats, (potentially applying to the other side: e.g., an [caster]//Paladin picking up metamagic and item creation feats from losing Paladin Casting)?
    That is OK

And... speaking of item creation feats, does pre-game crafting grant the discount (potentially making double the game's already doubled WBL) or is it just fluff?
    Not really, I was just making sure.
    I will say no to Crafting feats, I already give you double WBL, rules updated .

Tallivan: Is this an acceptable build/backstory, or were you looking for a longer backstory and/or a different kind of build?
    Yes, that backstory should do the trick. Are you planning to go straight forward on Chronicler of Worlds and Mind Chemist?, aren't you customizing your build?

I have a question regarding animal companions.

In a standard game (no gestalt), animal companions are...generally wasted on classes other than druid, because druid list has a lot of powerful spells on it that focus around supporting the animal companion, and classes without the ability to supplement their buddy with 9th lvl spell support suffer in comparison. This problem is made worse in gestalt, as while the main PC has massive gains in their capabilities, the animal companion does not. If it's not a huge issue, I'd like to be able to stack animal companion progressions on the same companion, rather than having two fragile useless companions. Is that okay?

EDIT: On a similar note, could the animal companion use a rolled stat array instead of their default?
    I will allow to stack animal companion progressions and see how it goes, but you have to use default stat array

Quote Originally Posted by Dakrsidder View Post
    As people seem to be making different assumptions and yet no one has asked about it, I’ll go for it. For generating attributes, you wrote:

By roll a set of 4d6b3 six times, did you mean roll a set of six 4d6b3 once, roll a set of six 4d6b3 six times, or something else? Because if the first, the only option for picking sets other than your own is taking others, which is what most people seem to assume, while the second, you’d probably be limited to the six you rolled.
    Sorry for the confusion, its 4d6b3 x6 only

Edit: There are archetypes that change the main stat used for class features. Would that in of itself count as a class feature?
    You can change the main stat by picking the Feature that allows it
    Last edited by Talivan; 2024-04-03 at 02:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm tempted to do some customization, but I know I get analysis paralysis if I let myself get too far in the weeds with options.

Int-based castings, all knowledge skills as class skills, bardic knowledge bonus, and the mind-chemist doubling int-bonus on int-based skill checks are the 4 main features that drew me to that combination of chronicler and mindchemist. I'm about to go take an exam. I'll think over what I can swap out later.

Edit: if I could sell off the alchemist formula list and the bard spell list, I think I'd like the wizard spellbook and wizard spellcasting, plus maybe a familiar if I sell off something else?
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2024-04-03 at 02:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorry for the confusion, its 4d6b3 x6 only
    As in 4d6b3 x6 once? There's also the second bit, as in, by pick the set you like most, do you mean picking other ppl's rolls, which will probably be Illven's?

Probably going to roll up with a Bard//Monk then using sensei and all that

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm tempted to do some customization, but I know I get analysis paralysis if I let myself get too far in the weeds with options.

Int-based castings, all knowledge skills as class skills, bardic knowledge bonus, and the mind-chemist doubling int-bonus on int-based skill checks are the 4 main features that drew me to that combination of chronicler and mindchemist. I'm about to go take an exam. I'll think over what I can swap out later.
    Don't stress yourself, just change the things you don't like about the Archetype with other achetypes.

Edit: if I could sell off the alchemist formula list and the bard spell list, I think I'd like the wizard spellbook and wizard spellcasting, plus maybe a familiar if I sell off something else?
    Sorry, but you have to stick with Alchemist Formulas and Bard casting spells. you can still grab Wizard spells into formulas as per base rules

As in 4d6b3 x6 once? There's also the second bit, as in, by pick the set you like most, do you mean picking other ppl's rolls, which will probably be Illven's?
    Yes, you can choose from other player's rolls

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't stress yourself, just change the things you don't like about the Archetype with other achetypes.

Sorry, but you have to stick with Alchemist Formulas and Bard casting spells. you can still grab Wizard spells into formulas as per base rules

Yes, you can choose from other player's rolls
    That can work. I'll do it that way.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For witch's patron spells, can we take part of the staged features like patron without the spells?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

For witch's patron spells, can we take part of the staged features like patron without the spells?
    Yes, you can buy partial levels of Staged Features.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

You can get as many Astral suits/Mindblades you can pay for (Those are Staged Features), you must track and buy stages for each suits and minblades separately.
    I have many questions, sorry

Mind blade:
    1) The only mind blade stage, would be the enhanced mind blade class feature. That improves at 3rd and every 3 levels from there. Correct?
    2) If I take panoply of blades (from the psychic armory) can I have other mind blade modifications be part of the panoply? In particular I want the storied blade of the living legend to grab thousand blades of the champion and have a lot of different weapons telekinetically floating around me.

Astral Armor:
    1) What are the stages proper?
    1.a) Most astral armors (not all) get free customizations, at 1st, 2nd, 12th level. Are those stages?
    1.b) Some customizations get increments to the armor at some levels, for example an integrator gets an improvement to natural armor at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th level. Are those stages?
    1.c) Aegis get customizations. Are those stages? If so what's the ratio? 1 customization point = one stage? Or as many customization points as you would get on a level = one stage
    1.d) If an aegis gets several things from astral armor at the same level, are all those things one stage? Or are each a different stage? Practical example, an integrator gets at 1st level the mechanized body class feature (that replaces astral armor), that's one stage. It also gets 2 free customizations (is that an additional stage? 2 additional stages? 0 additional?), an increase to their natural armor (is that an additional stage? 0 additional?) and 3 customization points (are those stages?)
    1.e) What's the effective aegis level (it limits the accessible customizations). Is it my level irregardless of how many stages do I spend?
    Last edited by thethird; 2024-04-04 at 05:55 AM.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have many questions, sorry

Mind blade:
    1) The only mind blade stage, would be the enhanced mind blade class feature. That improves at 3rd and every 3 levels from there. Correct?
    2) If I take panoply of blades (from the psychic armory) can I have other mind blade modifications be part of the panoply? In particular I want the storied blade of the living legend to grab thousand blades of the champion and have a lot of different weapons telekinetically floating around me.

Astral Armor:
    1) What are the stages proper?
    1.a) Most astral armors (not all) get free customizations, at 1st, 2nd, 12th level. Are those stages?
    1.b) Some customizations get increments to the armor at some levels, for example an integrator gets an improvement to natural armor at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th level. Are those stages?
    1.c) Aegis get customizations. Are those stages? If so what's the ratio? 1 customization point = one stage? Or as many customization points as you would get on a level = one stage
    1.d) If an aegis gets several things from astral armor at the same level, are all those things one stage? Or are each a different stage? Practical example, an integrator gets at 1st level the mechanized body class feature (that replaces astral armor), that's one stage. It also gets 2 free customizations (is that an additional stage? 2 additional stages? 0 additional?), an increase to their natural armor (is that an additional stage? 0 additional?) and 3 customization points (are those stages?)
    1.e) What's the effective aegis level (it limits the accessible customizations). Is it my level irregardless of how many stages do I spend?
    Not the gm, but customizations and its points are more similar to a system such as casting. Perhaps you could get one full astral armor (with the customizations included) as a system, and other abilities as stages.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the FFd20 reference!
    Happy to help.
    Yes, lets give Hero points a try, same for Stamina rules
    Recharging station is a go, then. No ten minute adventuring day if I get in, just ten minute coffee breaks.
    Didn't get what you asking, can you give me sample?
    Okay, so, you're talking about classes like they're full sets - e.g., Paladin casting is 20 RFS because it's a system, and is paid for from 1st, despite not doing anything until 4th. Level 1 Paladin gets four to six RFS (Aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day, spellcasting, possibly proficiency with weapons and armor). Three at 2nd (Divine grace, lay on hands, casting), four at 3rd (Aura of courage, divine health, mercy, casting), and three at 4th (Channel positive energy, smite evil, and casting). After that, it's essentially two/level (one named feature, plus casting)... well, depending on how you count Divine Bond (it's a non-progressing one-off that references a progression for the effects).

I just want to make sure that we only get the Regular Feature Slots as we level into the things we're trading out, rather than getting them all at once and being able to... "front load" very heavily by nabbing things from archetypes that trade out the low level things.

That is OK
    Cool...
    I will say no to Crafting feats, I already give you double WBL, rules updated .
    Is that no crafting feats at all, or "they don't work for starting wealth"? The two are different when it comes to crafting some things (most notably constructs, which always obey their creators even if they've been told to obey someone else), and also long-term planning.
    I will allow to stack animal companion progressions and see how it goes, but you have to use default stat array
    Does that apply to other pets as well? A double progression Synthesist Eidolon would really let me mix it up in melee.

Hmm... what would a 12th level animal companion look like... stating a "Cat, big" for that....
    Spoiler
    Show

Size Large;
    Speed 40 ft.;
    AC 25 (+11 natural armor, -1 size, +5 Dex, +4 Armor) Touch 14, flat-footed 20
    Attack bite +14 (1d8+8 + Grab), 2 claws +14 (1d6+8 + Grab);
    Ability Scores Str 26, Dex 20, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10;
    Special Attacks grab, pounce, rake (1d6+8);
    Special Qualities low-light vision, scent.
    HP: 10d8+30 (75)
    7 BAB
    Fort +10
    Ref +12
    Will +5
    10 skill points (ten ranks in any one skill; go with either Perception or Survival for a +15)
    5 feats (ignoring these for now)
    Ability Score Increase * 2 (went with +1 Str/Dex)
    Multiattack (does nothing, as claw, bite, and rake are all primary)
    Evasion
    Devotion
    Link
    Share Spells

... and that's before selecting the feats (Improved Natural Armor, Weapon Focus (Claw and/or bite), and Improved Natural Attack (claw and/or bite) might be handy), spending anything on equipment (e.g., +1 Mithral Chain Shirt Barding for five points of cheap AC), long-term buffs (Magic Vestments, Barkskin, Greater Magic Fang, and so on), or short-term buffs. It's also a pretty vanilla companion; grabbing, say, Monstrous Mount on the PC for a Griffon increases the AC by four, HP by ten, adds Darkvision and Flight, lets it take any feat (including armor proficiency for proper cheap AC) and not worry about tricks or handle animal checks, and only reduces the strength modifier by three points.

This may be perfectly fine; the question is "do you expect a pet to outshine a PC"?

... and hopefully nobody triples up an animal companion.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2024-04-04 at 07:06 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Happy to help.
    Recharging station is a go, then. No ten minute adventuring day if I get in, just ten minute coffee breaks.

Okay, so, you're talking about classes like they're full sets - e.g., Paladin casting is 20 RFS because it's a system, and is paid for from 1st, despite not doing anything until 4th. Level 1 Paladin gets four to six RFS (Aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day, spellcasting, possibly proficiency with weapons and armor). Three at 2nd (Divine grace, lay on hands, casting), four at 3rd (Aura of courage, divine health, mercy, casting), and three at 4th (Channel positive energy, smite evil, and casting). After that, it's essentially two/level (one named feature, plus casting)... well, depending on how you count Divine Bond (it's a non-progressing one-off that references a progression for the effects).

I just want to make sure that we only get the Regular Feature Slots as we level into the things we're trading out, rather than getting them all at once and being able to... "front load" very heavily by nabbing things from archetypes that trade out the low level things.

Cool...
    Is that no crafting feats at all, or "they don't work for starting wealth"? The two are different when it comes to crafting some things (most notably constructs, which always obey their creators even if they've been told to obey someone else), and also long-term planning.

Does that apply to other pets as well? A double progression Synthesist Eidolon would really let me mix it up in melee.

Hmm... what would a 12th level animal companion look like... stating a "Cat, big" for that....
    Spoiler
    Show

Size Large;
    Speed 40 ft.;
    AC 25 (+11 natural armor, -1 size, +5 Dex, +4 Armor) Touch 14, flat-footed 20
    Attack bite +14 (1d8+8 + Grab), 2 claws +14 (1d6+8 + Grab);
    Ability Scores Str 26, Dex 20, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10;
    Special Attacks grab, pounce, rake (1d6+8);
    Special Qualities low-light vision, scent.
    HP: 10d8+30 (75)
    7 BAB
    Fort +10
    Ref +12
    Will +5
    10 skill points (ten ranks in any one skill; go with either Perception or Survival for a +15)
    5 feats (ignoring these for now)
    Ability Score Increase * 2 (went with +1 Str/Dex)
    Multiattack (does nothing, as claw, bite, and rake are all primary)
    Evasion
    Devotion
    Link
    Share Spells

... and that's before selecting the feats (Improved Natural Armor, Weapon Focus (Claw and/or bite), and Improved Natural Attack (claw and/or bite) might be handy), spending anything on equipment (e.g., +1 Mithral Chain Shirt Barding for five points of cheap AC), long-term buffs (Magic Vestments, Barkskin, Greater Magic Fang, and so on), or short-term buffs. It's also a pretty vanilla companion; grabbing, say, Monstrous Mount on the PC for a Griffon increases the AC by four, HP by ten, adds Darkvision and Flight, lets it take any feat (including armor proficiency for proper cheap AC) and not worry about tricks or handle animal checks, and only reduces the strength modifier by three points.

This may be perfectly fine; the question is "do you expect a pet to outshine a PC"?

... and hopefully nobody triples up an animal companion.
    If it helps I'm planning less for optimization and more for making a drake companion that isn't 1000% terrible

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If I play swashbuckler, does each deed give it’s on RFS? Each level of deed?
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

If it helps I'm planning less for optimization and more for making a drake companion that isn't 1000% terrible
    Isn't that just a matter of hiring a casting of Polymorph Any Object to turn it into a Medium-sized dragon? Kingdom(Animal), Class(dragon type), Related(match the elemental subtype). Four point strength boost (from the chained duplication of Form of the Dragon 1), 5 attacks (bite, claw, claw, wing, wing), flight, Darkvision, a little energy resistance, and four points of natural armor.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2024-04-04 at 05:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't that just a matter of hiring a casting of Polymorph Any Object to turn it into a Medium-sized dragon? Kingdom(Animal), Class(dragon type), Related(match the elemental subtype). Four point strength boost (from the chained duplication of Form of the Dragon 1), 5 attacks (bite, claw, claw, wing, wing), flight, Darkvision, a little energy resistance, and four points of natural armor.
    That would be the easy and optimal way to do it. But what if I did it with just double drake progress instead? Maybe even triple drake progress?

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

That would be the easy and optimal way to do it. But what if I did it with just double drake progress instead? Maybe even triple drake progress?
    Then the full bab d12 hit dice with monk saves starts outpacing other melee types. A 6th level Drake has five hit dice, 12 str, and is small. A 12th level one has nine hit dice, sixteen strength, and is medium. An 18th level drake is Huge with 24 strength and 14 hit dice.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Then the full bab d12 hit dice with monk saves starts outpacing other melee types. A 6th level Drake has five hit dice, 12 str, and is small. A 12th level one has nine hit dice, sixteen strength, and is medium. An 18th level drake is Huge with 24 strength and 14 hit dice.
    Sounds like double is about exactly where I was hoping then

My Homebrew