New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dumb question about Frost Brand

I've never used the thing before and I've never seen it handed out as treasure, but I'm looking at magic items for kicks right now and something popped out at me. "A frost brand extinguishes all nonmagical fires in its area." ...what's its area? Nothing else in its description mentions an area in which this effect operates. I assume its other effect of dispelling magical fires also takes place in this supposed area, but again, I don't know what that area actually is. Do they mean, like, the area you threaten with it?
    TT
    I haven't homebrewed enough stuff to have an expanded signature yet, but we'll get there eventually. For now, Thirdtwin's Fighter Fix (last updated March 7, 2024-new Prestige Class)!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dumb question about Frost Brand

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdtwin View Post
    I've never used the thing before and I've never seen it handed out as treasure, but I'm looking at magic items for kicks right now and something popped out at me. "A frost brand extinguishes all nonmagical fires in its area." ...what's its area? Nothing else in its description mentions an area in which this effect operates. I assume its other effect of dispelling magical fires also takes place in this supposed area, but again, I don't know what that area actually is. Do they mean, like, the area you threaten with it?
    I would guess that it's the area that it would illuminate as a torch. But it is not clear at all.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

My Premium Edition Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5 says, "A frost brand extinguishes all nonmagical fires in its wielder’s threatened area."

Edit: If that doesn't gel your pudding, you can look to other editions for guidance. The 1E DMG says, "...whenever it is thrust into fires it has a 50% chance of extinguishing them in a 10' radius...". 5E says, "When you draw this weapon, you can extinguish all non-magical flames within 30 feet of you."
    Last edited by Algolei; 2024-04-04 at 01:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I would have assumed "in its space", i.e., the 5' square it's in, and that the wielder could hence choose to extinguish a fire by thrusting the sword into it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics