New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Question How would you end it?

So I have set up a scenario for end of campaign where PC's will need to "step into themselves" to escape after final boss fight..... the obvious was to have a mirror that would transport them someplace safe as dungeon collapses. Wrapping up the campaign. However, with some thought I was looking to be a little less obvious (& difficult).

First, thought was a pool that they see their reflection in (assuming they look) stepping in they are transported similar to mirror idea.

Second, was a series of pools where only one pool would actually reflect the PC's image indicating the correct pool to enter to reach safety.

Third, idea is again a series of pools where each pool will only reflect to a individual PC. So they each need to enter a different pool - expanding on this my thought was to have the PC's enter their respective pool taking them to a bridge on a different plane that they must cross to reach portal on other side back to current plane but the bridge is defended by another version of themselves or possibly a different party member (if they enter wrong pool? Due to collapse as soon as first member sees reflection they all follow w/o waiting for surface to smooth out & realize they don't see their own reflection?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: How would you end it?

Hmm, it's definitely an interesting concept. I would probably go for the third idea personally, it gives a sense of danger if they play follow the leader.

Furthermore you could have anyone who decides to turn tail and run, run into a bigger bad than an evil version of themselves.

Just some food for thought

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Rather than have them fight themselves individually, which would be a lot of sitting around for the other players, I would have whole party fight the whole party. You could have one of the "evil" characters defect for a plot twist. Or have the "evil" healer heal the wrong guy. Many opportunities for DM shenanigans.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I like bringing weirdness into games where weirdness belongs, so I'd go with something like #3 but have the fight be the player's PC and the team at the bridge with the big bad on the other side... except the BBEG and everyone else are poorly-made and blocky constructs with just basic attack abilities (let the other players run them). Rotate as necessary based on who chose the wrong pool.

Not really a dangerous fight, but resources are probably depleted and it'd be freaking weird.
    Last edited by JonBeowulf; 2024-04-06 at 10:27 PM.
    I really need a new avatar. Nah, I'm good.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

THANKS! Appreciate the input.