New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Quest for a high level paladin of Liira

Hey guys,
    in my party I have a number of paladins and each of them is on occasion "pinged" by their god to resolve a major issue in the realm. One of the paladins is a paladin of Liira, a deity of contentment, release, joy, happiness, dance, and freedom.

An event has taken place/will take place/is to take place in the region of Sword Coast, that really grinds Liiras gears. So she will ask her pally to go there and make things right (together with the rest of the party).

What sort of event would that be? I'm thinking something along death of joy or a subversion of a large festival that was/is/is to be brutally corrupted by something. But it needs not be this, could be something completely different. It just needs to be an event that would be evil/dark enough to be worthy of attention of lvl 15+ paladin.

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Quest for a high level paladin of Liira

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Hey guys,
    in my party I have a number of paladins and each of them is on occasion "pinged" by their god to resolve a major issue in the realm. One of the paladins is a paladin of Liira, a deity of contentment, release, joy, happiness, dance, and freedom.

An event has taken place/will take place/is to take place in the region of Sword Coast, that really grinds Liiras gears. So she will ask her pally to go there and make things right (together with the rest of the party).

What sort of event would that be? I'm thinking something along death of joy or a subversion of a large festival that was/is/is to be brutally corrupted by something. But it needs not be this, could be something completely different. It just needs to be an event that would be evil/dark enough to be worthy of attention of lvl 15+ paladin.

Thanks!
    How about this:

The ruler of a city, a Bard who was a well-known adventurer before their retirement, was married to a Paladin of Liira, but the Paladin died very recently. So the ruler announced they'll bury their spouse on the day of the year the Paladin preferred, aka the day of the country's biggest and most beloved carnival. And that no expense will be spared to make this year's carnival a day to remember, so that as many people as possible should come to celebrate.

The thing is, the ruler is possessed by a Demon, who attacked as the ruler was grieving, and the Demon plans to make everyone who's in the city the day of the carnival to party themselves to death. Not only this would kill thousands, it would also taint the carnival and likely transform a joyous event into a somber remembrance for a monstrous tragedy.

If you want specific stats for the Demon, well, Rakdos and his festival demons got stated in 5e, after all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's not quite what you're thinking of, but one thing that could be interesting would be to direct the players to plan some big festival or party rather than to protect one. You could play that as a more light-hearted adventure, but one where there are still opportunities for action (e.g. we need this really rare wine/performer/something at the party, we'll have to go on an adventure to get it).

Looking at some FR books, it looks like the default 5e year is around 1489 DR, and according to the 3e book, Silverymoon was in the process of growing from a bridge to a town around 489, so you could probably arrange for a big 1000-year anniversary of some event - official founding, first shrine to Lliira, first mayor, whatever. You ask the PCs to plan it, listen to what they're interested in, throw a few obstacles in their path, and then hopefully give them a big party to hobnob with important NPCs, pursue their romantic interests, gain information important to some other quest, etc.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    RAKDOS CARNIVAL

But seriously like a super hedonistic carnival with all kinds of things that give temporary pleasure but no long term satisfaction. The exact of thing Lilra hates. Violence as the driving factor in joy. People acting without contentment. Dance that has no artistic merit it's only sexual (or violent).
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You guys are great! Just what I needed.