New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: [PF1] Perils of the Ashenwood

Quote Originally Posted by Qazgir View Post
    Here's my sheet, I've got [roll0] GP to buy equipment.

Working a bit on the backstory, but I think I'll wait to know who's playing before committing to anything backstorywise.
    You might want to buy some adventuring gear. No adventurer sleeps without a bedroll or tent, nor does one eat without food.
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I would also like to request elephant in the room. Without it I would have to wait for level five to get the main function of my character online, demoralizing. On an unrelated note, here is my backstory!

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Even from a young age, Aunist has always been a religious man. Conceived by an Orc warlord and his war bride, he only spent the first few months of his life with Orcs. A town militia came to the war party, seeking revenge, as their town had been recently raided. Amidst the fighting, Aunist was found by a farmer, malnourished and crying. That farmer took him home, to raise as his own.

Raised by that farmer and his wife, Aunist was a big help to the farm. From ten years old, he was stronger than many men and the village. Taking in crops, helping the animals, planting, you name it, Aunist was there. But as he grew stronger, and his Orc heritage became much more evident, he was starting to be shunned by the xenophobic villagers.

As an escape from this shunning, Aunist turned to religion. He packed what he could, stayed his goodbyes, and made the journey to the church of Patroclus. Turning up at their door, looking for shelter and a home, Aunist was accepted into the church as a brother. For the first time in his life, he was shunned by nobody, and accepted, most importantly respected by all.

As Aunist’s faith grew, so did his wisdom and might. Perhaps they grew too much, as he was noticed by one of the inquisitors of the church. Asked if he wanted to be a champion of his faith, what could Aunist do but say yes? And so he became an Inquisitor. Trained in the blade, magic, and most importantly knowledge, Aunist was an exemplary student. He learned that though the core tenets of his faith were important, breaking them to make sure that the good of the faith was upheld.

With his training completed, Aunist once again packed his belongings, and headed from a home. Not to find a new one, but to protect his faith. Told to meet at an inn in Ashenwood, he headed to the small town, and has been staying at the inn these past few nights, waiting for his cause.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin View Post
    You might want to buy some adventuring gear. No adventurer sleeps without a bedroll or tent, nor does one eat without food.
    Totally didn't forget... updated the sheet, and here's the bit of background I've written:

Show
    There have always been two constant in Agatho's life, travel and alchemy. Born to a traveling merchant mother and alchemist father, Agatho grew up on the move, his family never staying the same place for too long. It was this childhood that sent him down the path of adventure.

While a bright student of his parent's lessons, Agatho was never interested in traditional schooling, far more content to read his father's books, or learn directly from his mother. He was also fascinated by the lands his family travelled through and the plants and animals that could be found there. He sent as much of his free time as possible wandering the lands his family passed through, collecting samples of the flora and fauna he found there.

By the time he was grown, he was a capable alchemist in his own right, but he declined to follow in his father's footsteps, instead traveling wherever his feet took him, taking up whatever work kept food in his belly while allowing him time to continue his own studies of the natural world.
    Last edited by Qazgir; 2024-04-14 at 02:14 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Time for an applicant table:

Player Character Concept Backstory Progress
    tonberryking Noai “Punk” Berryfield half-orc bloodrager ✓✓
    ProgressPaladin Aunist Dawnflower half-orc inquisitor
    Qazgir Agatho Rosenkreuz half-elf alchemist
    Greenflame133 Mio Kasagi changeling sorcerer

_______

Following up on questions:

Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel
    I'm potentially interested, but I'm probably going to trip up over the rules every once in a while if that's something you're willing to deal with.
    Not to worry, you’re welcome to apply if you’re interested.

Originally Posted by Zhentarim
    I have two questions:

1) What are some useful bonus languages I can select?
    2) Do we get 3 traits and a drawback?
    Let’s keep it at two traits for now.

As for bonus languages, that’s always tricky. I can tell you some languages which would be less helpful—Draconic, Giant, Orc and the various planar/elemental languages will be less useful.

As for some good options to consider, dwarves are fairly prominent in the setting, and you’ll be spending time in an ancient and treacherous forest, some of whose denizens may be less earthly than others.

Last edited by Palanan; 2024-04-14 at 09:16 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I am aiming for a switch-hitting Aasimar ranger. A few questions:

1) The setting feels very LotR-esque in its beginnings. Would this mean an Aasimar is something between Aragorn and Gandalf (not in power, but origin)? Are alternate racial stats in (Garudakin especially?). How do you feel for abusing Minor Age Resistance with a middle-aged character (off-setting the age penalties with a spell like ability to gain a minor bonus to mental stats)?

2) What about reccomendations for Favored Enemies and Favored Terrains? I could do a Woodland Stalker who only gets one favored enemy? Is picking humans feasible? Is picking forests for the terrain feasible?

3) On bow "maintenance"/survival: Do you allow me to change up my composite bow's strength rating, to fletch some arrows by foraging feathers, wood and saving some arrowheads? On the point of gritty survival, how close do you expect us to track our ressources? I would welcome this but experience shows I am horrible at keeping track of virtual goods. How do you expect the game to go on, once we pass class features that trivialize the survival aspect - with class skills, spells and items? Do you take lighting into account? Fatigue? Diseases/poisons?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Time for an applicant table:

_______

Following up on questions:

Not to worry, you’re welcome to apply if you’re interested.

Let’s keep it at two traits for now.

As for bonus languages, that’s always tricky. I can tell you some languages which would be less helpful—Draconic, Giant, Orc and the various planar/elemental languages will be less useful.

As for some good options to consider, dwarves are fairly prominent in the setting, and you’ll be spending time in an ancient and treacherous forest, some of whose denizens may be less earthly than others.

Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Sylvan, and Undercommon are my 5 bonus languages I'll pick, then. I also will gain an additional bonus language every level, and I'll take the comprehend languages spell in case I didn't cover a language somehow. I'll also take identify.

My two traits will be Clever Wordplay (Diplomacy) and Pragmatic Activator.

Being an Int-based bard means my role is going to be knowing things.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gonna be rich! (1d6)[3]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Bard Wealth Roll:
    (3d6)[6] times 10

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

I would also like to submit a god for approval, with the intent of playing a cleric for her if accepted:

Circe, Mother of Alchemy [Chaotic Neutral]

Once a minor serpent god originally worshipped by some elves and vishkanya, Circe has grown in popularity among the shorter-lived races for her relatively transgressive doctrines. Myths say that she was once an elven alchemist transformed into a serpent as punishment for trespassing on the realms of the divine, and so it follows that she is today commonly worshipped by doctors, alchemists, and natural philosophers in hopes that she will whisper inspirations in their ears as a reward for their faith and loyalty.

Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff
    Holy Symbol: A staff encoiled by a single serpent
    Domains (Subdomains): Chaos (Protean), Healing (Medicine, Restoration), Magic (Alchemy, Arcane), Scalykind (Venom), Knowledge

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Zhentarim
    Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Sylvan, and Undercommon are my 5 bonus languages I'll pick, then.
    Those are all fine except for Gnome, since gnomes don’t exist in this setting.

As for a language to fill that slot, I’ll just suggest: go weirder.

Originally Posted by Chromascope3D
    I would also like to submit a god for approval, with the intent of playing a cleric for her if accepted….
    Intriguing and inventive concept for a deity. Will be looking forward to seeing how your character and backstory incorporate the idea.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Those are all fine except for Gnome, since gnomes don’t exist in this setting.

As for a language to fill that slot, I’ll just suggest: go weirder.

Intriguing and inventive concept for a deity. Will be looking forward to seeing how your character and backstory incorporate the idea.
    Aklo is the language of evil fey, so I'll pick Aklo.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing that always annoyed me is that changings not get Sylvan as a bonus language. Normally I would choose draconic as the language of magic, but since that one is likely to go unused, I think dwarven would be a safe bet

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Ideas

Improvised weapon wielder - Occultist, brawler or maybe hunter
    Rougarou Packmaster druid
    Kitsune Inspired Blade Swashbuckler
    wild Vigilante
    Oozemorph shifter
    Catfolk Archeologist Bard
    Catfolk Monk
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling for starting cash for my Dwarf Druid:
    (2d6)[6] x10

She's going to be at least occasionally a literal momma bear. I haven't come up with a satisfying explanation for why she has left her home, but Falgarra Baldrydd (currently WIP) is a well-established Dwarven Matron with a bit of a mean streak. More likely to engage in tough love than coddling, she's a Druid VMC barbarian, perfectly content (and indeed occasionally eager) to tap into her wild side and dive into the fray.

She'll be fiercly protective of her family and friends, which I assume will include other party members, and rely on spells and her plant domain to support and provide cover while her (eventual) ability to transform into large and larger animals grants the muscle to tear down those who might threaten them.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Angry animal noted, looking forward to the backstory.

Who else is still planning to submit? We have some solid entries already, but I want to give everyone a chance to submit who’s expressed interest so far.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Who else is still planning to submit? We have some solid entries already, but I want to give everyone a chance to submit who’s expressed interest so far.
    I am, but work's been killing me so far this week so I haven't had a chance to sit down and write much of anything yet.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm nowhere near ready yet and it's a busy week, so I'd rather you not wait just for me. There's a chance I'll submit if I get something together quickly enough, but there's also a chance it would take me another week or so.
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    Spoiler: 5e Quick, ad-hoc numbers
    Show
    Task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    Monsters (1 v. 1) — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    Solos (v. 4 PCs) — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 5 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    Monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I can very much understand about work and weeks. Right now I’m thinking of leaving the submission window open until this Sunday the 21st. Vegan and Chromascope, would that give you the time you need?

Also waiting to hear back from Kallimakus and Zhentarim.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I remain interested, working on some form of a human monk type of thing.

I've been waiting if you had thoughts about the Feat Tax rules. Saves me a few Feats, not that I'm starved for those as such. Mainly I'm curious about Weapon Finesse.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I'm looking forward to starting this thing

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Rescinding interest.

22. - Top - End - #52

BlackDragon

I can very much understand about work and weeks. Right now I’m thinking of leaving the submission window open until this Sunday the 21st. Vegan and Chromascope, would that give you the time you need?
    Sure. If I don't get something together by then, go ahead without me.

Starting gold: (5d6)[19]

I'm currently tinkering with a human paladin.
    Show
    Monsters (1 v. 1) — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Main thing I want to know if how important survival stuff are. Is 20 days worth of days wondermeal single best investment or next to useless? Is a tent a nice roleplaying flavour or the simplest way to properly resting on a rainy night?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Aklo is the language of evil fey, so I'll pick Aklo.
    I actually miscounted. I get six bonus langauges at level 1:
    Dwarven, Elven, Sylvan, Undercommon, Aklo, and Giant

Here is my sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896991

Adding spells/backstory now.

His name is Sylvester Scribesword, and I think his backstory will be that he and his boyfriend used to travel a lot collecting lore, but his boyfriend was killed by a monster, so he's going to the Ashenwood to honor his boyfriend's memory. I'll polish that backstory up, but that's the gist of it.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kallimakus
    I remain interested, working on some form of a human monk type of thing.
    Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel
    I'm currently tinkering with a human paladin.
    Okay, deadline for completed submissions will be 1900 EST on Sunday the 21st. Hope you’ll be able to submit by then.

Also looking forward to backstory on those submissions which don’t have one yet.

Originally Posted by Greenflame133
    Main thing I want to know if how important survival stuff are.
    The practicalities of wilderness survival will definitely be important.

Originally Posted by Kallimakus
    I've been waiting if you had thoughts about the Feat Tax rules…. Mainly I'm curious about Weapon Finesse.
    I’m on the fence about the Elephant approach. If Weapon Finesse is your main interest, I’d prefer to work with you on that specific item, rather than making broader changes.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, updated the sheet with some survival gear, also funky stuff like Spirit trumpet. I can't believe I haven't used one before.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I'm still working on finalizing equipment and spell choices and such. I've been battling (probably) the flu this week, so it's been slower going even than usual. For now, here's some background for Falgarra.

Spoiler: Falgarra Baldrydd
    Show
    Falgarra was born the third daughter of a family that ended up with four children, only the fourth a long sought-after son. Freed from much of the family affairs by her gender and place in line, she spent an unusual amount of time outdoors- especially for a Dwarf of the Ülgurül Hills. Many of her friends had never seen the sun by their 10th year, though young Falgarra seemed inexorably drawn to the surface. Indeed, the only thing it seemed she cared more about than watching the wind bend the trees was keeping her younger brother Timothy out of trouble. Often by means of physically intervening when the tot was poised to go tumbling. Thus, when named at her 5th birthday, her mother chose "Strong Root," to enshrine the young lady's grip and intense longing for the outdoors permanently in her name.

Though she loved her time in the sun, especially gazing skyward from beneath the trees on the fringes of Ashenwood, Falgarra remained primarily beholden to her kin and clan, and spent many hours learning the various crafts and methods to living in the hills nearby. She always felt some bizarre calling, however, as she learned many of the secrets of her people. As a young woman, she spent equal parts time gamboling about in the woods to satisfy her wanderlust and poring over ancient tomes to satisfy her elders.

When she came of age, Falgarra married a fellow named Garrid, and found peace sharing his home, and raising his children. The two have two youngsters of their own, as luck would have it both boys! Her first born, Morlind is as rambunctious a young teenager as any, and his 4 year old brother will be named in the coming spring. Falgarra has already spent many a long day rolling her eyes and pulling her hair at the children's never-ending antics, though as often as not there were good-natured smiles hidden behind a hand or stein. Garrid is a good man, a brilliant craftsman, and a devoted husband. When he was called to the 10-year moot last summer as one of the representatives from the clan, it came as no surprise, though the Fathers had called for several more clansmen than they usually did.

She still hopes for a few more children some day, but Garrid and the others should have returned over a month ago, and she's starting to worry. Without word from the Hills, she simply presses on, though she can't help but feel like... *something* must have gone very wrong.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Updated applicant table:

FarmerBink Falgarra Baldrydd dwarven druid/VMC barbarian ✓✓
    Kallimakus (unnamed) human monk - WIP
    Zhentarim Sylvester Scribesword human bard - WIP

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Updated applicant table:

FarmerBink Falgarra Baldrydd dwarven druid/VMC barbarian ✓✓
    Kallimakus (unnamed) human monk - WIP
    Zhentarim Sylvester Scribesword human bard - WIP
    What does the double check on the backstory mean?

30. - Top - End - #60

BlackDragon

Here is Sir Winston Lightbringer, paladin. He's mostly finished, but I'm sure there are more details that can be worked out. For instance, I haven't specified a patron deity, but any lawful good god of light or the sun would be appropriate. I also haven't looked for traits, flaws, or archetypes, and I've more work to do on defining his personality.

Show
    In his earliest memories, Winny lived in the miserable Hiram Oglethorpe Orphanage, where the meals were meager and the supervision was mostly absent—but alarmingly harsh if you were caught misbehaving. Winny was often misbehaving, but he quickly learned to misbehave away from the orphanage. As a young boy, he loved hearing stories of heroes and adventure. The idea of going off on adventures sounded so much better than the life Winny knew, and when he would steal scraps to eat, he imagined he was liberating treasures from horrible monsters.

As he grew into a teenager, he continued to misbehave, but he started to get caught more often—usually by shopkeepers and the like. He managed to avoid too many run-ins with the city watch, but he realized they were starting to watch him more closely. One day, a couple of travelers caught sight of Winny trying to nab a loaf of bread, and they approached him with a proposition. They'd have better luck with numbers, they said, and there was a group of them in the woods who looked out for each other. To young Winny's ears, the idea of joining the bandits sounded too good to be true—a full belly, a family, and a life of adventure! Sure, they were no heroes, but those heroes from the old stories didn't seem so realistic in the harsh world young Winny knew.

So Winny became a bandit for a time, working in tandem with cutthroats and thieves to deprive merchants of their wares and travelers of their valuables. He was well-fed, and enjoyed the lifestyle, feeling only occasionally uneasy at how quickly some of his companions were ready to fire their crossbows. But there was something more sinister going on, which he only saw hints of... stealing livestock which seemed to just disappear, strange sounds at night, occasional disappearances, and mostly the strictly controlled access to the deeper caverns where only the bosses were ever allowed.

Winny wasn't the only one to grow suspicious, and eventually a powerful paladin, Sir Gregory Whiteheart, challenged the bandits and fought his way into the caverns. The bosses unleashed demons to fight the paladin, whose undaunted courage impressed young Winny. Sir Gregory defeated the demons and routed the cultist bandits, then offered a path of redemption to the younger bandits who had erred in their ways. In this way, Winston found a new calling, becoming a squire to Sir Gregory, a hero straight out of the old tales.

Winston saw the light, and worked to make amends for his misdeeds. He had barely noticed the guilt he'd been feeling, as it had accumulated so slowly, but all became clear when he finally encountered a champion of good. Winston dedicated himself to a greater purpose, to bringing the light of good and justice to the dark places where it is needed. He hopes to show young miscreants like himself that there really is a better path, and he's finally ready to be one of those heroes from the stories, embarking on a life of great adventure.

Now that his oaths are sworn, Winston, dubbed Lightbringer, is setting out into the darkness of the Ashenwood, aiming to shed the light of hope into the terrifying darkness.
    Show