New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Haste and Dimension Step ("DS") Question

Dimension Step allows all creatures targeted by this spell to teleport a distance equal to their base land speed.

Hasted creature’s modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet.

So does a hasted creature targeted by Dimension Step have an increased teleportation range or does it teleport based on its speed without the benefit?

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Haste and Dimension Step ("DS") Question

I'd say that base land speed includes the bonus from haste. The glossary entry for base land speed, on page 305 of the PHB, defines the term as "The speed a character can move while unar-
    mored", and both expeditious retreat and longstrider say that they increase your base land speed, which shows that it's not a constant. Even though haste doesn't have similarly explicit language, I think it's reasonable to say that all increases to speed are considered part of your base land speed while they are in effect.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I'd say that base land speed includes the bonus from haste. The glossary entry for base land speed, on page 305 of the PHB, defines the term as "The speed a character can move while unar-
    mored", and both expeditious retreat and longstrider say that they increase your base land speed, which shows that it's not a constant. Even though haste doesn't have similarly explicit language, I think it's reasonable to say that all increases to speed are considered part of your base land speed while they are in effect.
    Appreciate the response.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    To me it seems your examples show the opposite conclusion: if some spells specify that they increase your base speed and others don't say that, then the ones that don't say it don't do it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    To me it seems your examples show the opposite conclusion: if some spells specify that they increase your base speed and others don't say that, then the ones that don't say it don't do it.
    I'm not ruling from the spells, I'm ruling from the glossary. The glossary says your base land speed is the speed you move when unarmored. For a hasted human, that's 60 feet (absent other effects affecting her speed). The spells just show that there's text agreeing with the glossary elsewhere, but said text is really just a reminder. The rule doesn't originate in those spells, and the absence of reminder text in other spells doesn't mean the rule doesn't apply there.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.