New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Drow War Epic 3.5 OOC thread

Spot: (1d20+52)[70]
    Kn. Planes: (1d20+36)[51] (+5 if this is to learn its special powers or vulnerabilities)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Could we use arrows to drive the talon deeper? Or perhaps knock it out?
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2024-06-10 at 06:25 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It would have to be a remarkable shot. Not sure what benefit there will be in driving it deeper, though. Knocking it out might be possible, but it is from a Colossal creature, so it would be fairly big, especially if it is big enough to bother the Tarrasque.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Completely understand. This is D&D though and I have chopped down a stone bridge with a sword (RHoD) so I thought Iíd ask. Sometimes logic doesnít follow physics, 🤣
    I like the globe warm...

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am aiming for a little reality at least. You guys could always sneak up on it. I am sure at least someone will have good stealth skills.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was going to ask something similar: what sort of check would it be to pull it out?
    Cause if it's grapple then we're out of luck.

There's always the "knock it unconscious and pull it out" option.

At high levels, you should be able to cut a stone bridge (presumably with an adamantine sword), IMO. But I haven't done the math, it probably depends on the thickness.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would put it as a reasonably simple strength check. I can't imagine anyone grappling with the Tarrasque successfully.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post
    At high levels, you should be able to cut a stone bridge (presumably with an adamantine sword), IMO. But I haven't done the math, it probably depends on the thickness.
    Yeah the dnd logic says you can. Physics says you canít.
    I like the globe warm...

9. - Top - End - #99

Sure. Physics break way before high levels though.

I'm firmly on the side of "I don't want physics in my RPG cereal!" (for fantasy/sci-fi RPG). It will just be used to restrict non-casters while casters rearrange the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under 6s.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

well if I am granted the "TIME" Ivory will begin casting after her call upon the gods statement

Domain Slots
    1:True Strike next attack gains +20 insight bonus
    3:Haste :8 min >> PARTY BUFF may make one extra attack at full bab, +1 untyped bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and +1 Reflex saves, All of the hasted creature's modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet enhancement, to a maximum of twice the subject's normal speed using that form of movement
    4:Invisibility :26 min creature or object touched becomes invisible
    5:Lionís Charge : 2 rounds grants you the pounce special ability
    6:Mighty Wallop, Greater :26 hours bludgeoning melee weapon damage increases by one size category for every four caster levels >> (Party member) Colossal size <already active>
    7:Dolorous Blow :2 days automatically confirm any "Threat" hit as a critical hit

Spells Slots
    2:Sign :8 hours +4 bonus on your next initiative check
    3:Magic Vestment :26 hours +5 shield (Party member) <already active>
    5:Divine Power :2 days bab=21 , Temp HP = 25
    5:True Seeing :26 min (Self)
    6:Divine Agility :2 days +10 enhancement bonus to Dexterity <already active>
    6:Heroes' Feast :13 hours gains 1d8 temporary hit points +10 & +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and Will saves and immunity to fear effects for 12 hours <already active>
    8:Brilliant Blade :26 min brilliant energy on blade
    9:Giant Size <via Miracle> :2 min Caster Level 19+ , Colossal size gain strength related to size change, str+32 dex-2 con+12 natural armor+12 attack/ac penalty-8
    armor and weapons become colossal sized
    9:Visage of the Deity, Greater :26 rounds , gain +1 natural armor, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and electricity 10, immunity to disease, +4 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, damage reduction 10/magic, Spell Resistance 25, all of these are untyped +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha.

Ivory will become invisible
    Colossal in size
    Courtblade Attack 38,33,28,23 Wand of Wraithstrike; brilliant energy, undead +1d6 , incorporeal +1d6 , ghost touch, silvered, adamantine, truebane
    Speed 50 becomes 80
    AC 34 becomes 47
    Initiative 18 becomes 22
    Str 18 becomes 44
    Dex 28 becomes 28
    Con 24 becomes 40 HP Increase I will not worry about just yet
    Int 24 becomes 26
    Wis 30 becomes 34
    Cha 17 becomes 21

Truebane:
    +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage and +2d6 additional damage
    At the end of any round in which a truebane weapon deals damage to a creature, the weapons bane quality changes to match the type of the creature it last damaged

Wand of Wraithstrike: your melee attacks are resolved as melee touch attacks rather than normal melee attacks

Brillant Energy + Wraithstrike: should make the Tarasque's AC like 10 ish

unlesss a party member objects Ivory once all spells cast will go proceed to attack the Tarasque, because a dead/sleeping one will be easier to remove a talon from
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-06-11 at 02:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How far are we from it?
    I like the globe warm...

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Call it three hundred feet. It is big enough that you can see it clearly at that range.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Damnit, hate posting on the phone. The first 2 are good the rest are minus 5 as normal. So 51, 55, and 52 respectively

I can reroll if needed.

112 damage if they all hit.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2024-06-11 at 08:49 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

14. - Top - End - #104

Next time, I suggest to let the meleers position themselves before shooting.

Note that the Tarraque has DR 15/epic, so as an archer you will have a tough time of it.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I do not think we have the capacity to take it down, I could be wrong, but meh. Itís in range and we are fighting. So I shot.
    I like the globe warm...

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Shrug ivory will ignore that dr, no idea if even as a colossal she can but with the rest of the party should be able to

17. - Top - End - #107

We have 3 full casters, so the Tarrasque doesn't stand a chance. (It can't even hit flying creatures, for one...)

Yedra can't do all the fancy tricks that casters can do, but she can fight pretty damn well, especially in this kind of setting; she might be able to take it down on her own if she needed to.

I'm sure there'd be other situations where your archer would fare much better than Yedra (e.g. highly mobile opponents who hit-and-run).
    Last edited by namo; 2024-06-11 at 10:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Reminder: +2 morale to attack / saves / skills when you can hear Yedra
    ** noted

presuming that ivory ignores that dr 15/epic she just did 846 damage over 10 attacks presuming it is not undead nor incorporeal, if I reduce that by DR Epic <-150> then it is just 696 damage

the Tarasque has roughly (858 hp) - so someone will need to finish it off then Ivory can attempt to remove that talon and cast Wish
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-06-11 at 03:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

It seems like as good a time as any to talk about "balance", a difficult topic at Epic levels.
    Citing the big 16:
    I don't want anything cheesy. So no using efreeti to get free stat bonuses for example. The game will be low optimisation.
    (emphasis added)
    I don't think any of us is low-op, exactly, but we should strive to preserve some amount of intra-party balance IMO.

With that in mind: do you not think you've gone overboard on optimization, samduke?
    Your buffs (in particular Giant Size & Wraithstrike) land you in the realm of overkill, in my opinion - 800+ damage may be more of a '"solo campaign" kind of damage metric -, but it's something to discuss collectively.
    For comparison, Yedra, a fairly optimized meleer (though far from an ubercharger), should be able to do around 285 dmg to the Tarrasque with her signature technique.
    I don't necessarily mind the 800+ damage in itself but, if that is the balance we're aiming for, I'll likely request to retire my PC and bring in a more optimized one - probably an Archivist of some sort with Persistent spell, free metamagics and access to pretty much all spells.

But separately, some rule points that will lower your damage slightly and hence weaken my argument :
    - if you use your Wand of Wraithstrike, it takes a swift action, so you can't also activate your Belt of Battle (also a swift action).

- Truebane will let you bypass the DR starting next round, since it adjusts at the end of the round

- regarding Persistent Spell:
    Divine Agility is touch range and can't be Persisted
    Metamagic rods of Persistent Spell do not exist (perhaps a DM houserule...? If so, something to be reconsidered perhaps given the results.)

And some minor points:
    - Invisibility denies Dex to AC (slightly different than flatfooted), but works only on the first attack, as it breaks the moment you attack. Not that it matters much here because the Tarrasque has practically no Dex bonus to speak of.

- Wraithstrike supersedes Brilliant Energy (it bypasses more bonuses), so you don't need the latter. And Brilliant Energy wouldn't damage undead at all, so the extra damage to undead makes little sense.

With all that said, in the end the real problem is Giant Size, which you are using perfectly legitimately, but +32 Str and Colossal weapon damage are hard to balance against. With it you don't even really need Wraithstrike... I'd suggest a houserule for it, but I've already said too much.
    Last edited by namo; 2024-06-11 at 04:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Thanks for you input and opinion, the character was discussed at length with p26 , also if you would note the amount of resource I put into that, I estimate around 45% of overall resource. Now if p26 wants to have the character down shift some then spells like giant size can be eliminated, the wand replaced by some other thing ect...
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-06-11 at 08:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry,
    I was a day late (and probably a dead tarrasque short)

But how many rounds did we have to prepare?
    --> Related to being 300ft away, what round did the archery begin vs when we got into position?
    --> Ae we assumed to be close enough to start with a full attack action? if so do we need stealth checks? That -32 colossal hurts, even with the +40 from being invisible

I'd have needed to be ~160ft away with Yedra to take advantage of the Warmasters Charge when does that happen in relation to Ivory stealthily standing beside it, landing ad launcing a full attack action?

Sorry for all the questions, just missed a day and it seemed a lot happened so Kurnos hadn't done his preparative spells in the same way.
    If he'd had 3 rounds

• Wildhape into Dire Polar bear
    • Caste Nature's avatar and share with animal companion
    • Cast Bite of the Werebear

Then walk to within ~140ft with Yedra - partake in the warmasters charge

Edit: @Samduke - random question, just as it had caught my eye on the how do you get the Courtblade to be 18-20/x4? I'm curious as I play often melee characters and I find it hard to increase the critical multipliers without thinks like Disciple Dispator or Kensai. So curious how you got it from x2 --> x4?
    Last edited by DrK; 2024-06-12 at 01:52 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

22. - Top - End - #112

As I understand it, Ivory spent several rounds buffing, so I think you're more than fine with your buffs.
    (I believe Nature's Avatar won't work on you, you don't have the animal type.)

Since this is our first fight, I think we can coordinate OOC a bit, since our characters are supposed to have worked together for a while.
    So hopefully we can retcon the archer waiting, then everybody who wants to partake in the shared charge going (if Ivory wants to keep her swift action for the Belt of Battle, she can stay out of the immediate charge) in the same round as the archer.

I haven't posted IC in part due to this; I wanted to make sure everyone was more or less on the same page.
    Last edited by namo; 2024-06-12 at 02:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Thanks for you input and opinion, the character was discussed at length with p26 , also if you would note the amount of resource I put into that, I estimate around 45% of overall resource. Now if p26 wants to have the character down shift some then spells like giant size can be eliminated, the wand replaced by some other thing ect...
    Having seen the character in action, I will ask that you lose the Giant Size spell. It is just too massive a boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Sorry,
    I was a day late (and probably a dead tarrasque short)

But how many rounds did we have to prepare?
    --> Related to being 300ft away, what round did the archery begin vs when we got into position?
    --> Ae we assumed to be close enough to start with a full attack action? if so do we need stealth checks? That -32 colossal hurts, even with the +40 from being invisible

I'd have needed to be ~160ft away with Yedra to take advantage of the Warmasters Charge when does that happen in relation to Ivory stealthily standing beside it, landing ad launcing a full attack action?

Sorry for all the questions, just missed a day and it seemed a lot happened so Kurnos hadn't done his preparative spells in the same way.
    If he'd had 3 rounds

• Wildhape into Dire Polar bear
    • Caste Nature's avatar and share with animal companion
    • Cast Bite of the Werebear

Then walk to within ~140ft with Yedra - partake in the warmasters charge

Edit: @Samduke - random question, just as it had caught my eye on the how do you get the Courtblade to be 18-20/x4? I'm curious as I play often melee characters and I find it hard to increase the critical multipliers without thinks like Disciple Dispator or Kensai. So curious how you got it from x2 --> x4?
    You were 300 feet out, and it didn't see you, as it was busy eating a herd of cattle. So you have ten rounds of prep if you are moving in at normal speed. But Sam's character can move at 80 feet, so she will get there in a couple of rounds. You can have all the prep time you need as you move towards the tarrasque.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just saw the latest post, and to answer it, yes you can coordinate things so that everyone hits in the same round.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I shot my bowÖ

Seriously I have no issues waiting though with her being invisible itís technically be a guess as to when she got to the thing.
    I like the globe warm...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Do you have any form of trueseeing? You would then be able to see her to coordinate.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sadly no I do not. However we, as characters can mystically stop at set prescribed distances so our abilities work so it shouldnít be too hard to estimate when she would get there.

Messaged you on discord.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2024-06-12 at 05:20 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    Having seen the character in action, I will ask that you lose the Giant Size spell. It is just too massive a boost.

You were 300 feet out, and it didn't see you, as it was busy eating a herd of cattle. So you have ten rounds of prep if you are moving in at normal speed. But Sam's character can move at 80 feet, so she will get there in a couple of rounds. You can have all the prep time you need as you move towards the tarrasque.
    okay. Later tonight I'll post assuming I've joined in a "Warmasters charge" as imemdiate action and then my 1st proper round.
    Won't be too long as its only a few claws from Kurnos and the pet bear
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Iíll stay about 300í away.
    I like the globe warm...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    S@Samduke - random question, just as it had caught my eye on the how do you get the Courtblade to be 18-20/x4? I'm curious as I play often melee characters and I find it hard to increase the critical multipliers without thinks like Disciple Dispator or Kensai. So curious how you got it from x2 --> x4?
    I will give you the complete weapon breakdown here as was originally approved by p26

Courtblade, Elven (RotW p165)
    2 Hand 1d10 18-20 / x2 ó P or S 150 gp 6 lbs 10 10
    Finesse
    Shared Focus (Greatsword)

Elven Courtblade 150 gp <151,850>
    1d10 18Ė20/◊2 6 lb. Slashing, Finesseable

Masterwork 300 gp

heavy weapon 7,000 gp Magic of Faerun p179 < this is a not a special material>
    Platinum, hardness 10 hp 8, 2x weight, increase damage die as size +1 larger

Kaorti Resin 50 gp Fiend Folio 110 <this is a Special Material>
    crit multiplier becomes 4x

Magic +8 128,000 gp DMG p285

Truebane +3 bonus Dragon #345
    When Wielded, weapon gains Bane Creature type same as wielder. at the end of any round where the weapon deals damage to a creature the bane changes to that creature type and lasts for 1 round

Wand Chamber 100 gp Dungeonscape (I think)
    When a wand is loaded in the chamber, it is considered ready and can be activated without having to drop the weapon or shield. Changing the wand in the chamber is a full-round action.. When a wand is loaded in the chamber, it is considered ready and can be activated without having to drop the weapon or shield. Changing the wand in the chamber is a full-round action.

Wand of Wraithstrike (50 charges) SL 3 x CL 5 x 750 (11,250 gp) <DMG p285>

Truedeath crystal, lesser Weapon deals +1d6 damage to undead, functions as ghost touch weapon 5,000 gp
    <MIC p66>

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    Do you have any form of trueseeing? You would then be able to see her to coordinate.
    Ivory cast true seeing earlier as it is quite a long lasting spell **True Seeing :26 min (Self)

Notations:
    Metamagic Rod, Persistent
    Price 9,000 gp (lesser), 32,500 gp (normal), 73,000 gp (greater); Weight 5 lbs.
    this was a requested & approved thing as it is in PF1e and an easy thing to implement back to 3.5, where 3.5 has all the others but failed to grab this one.

Belt of Battle: Activation: swift (mental)

Wraithstrike: Casting Time: 1 swift action

Wand of 50 charges, spell trigger
    the Rules Compendium says: that wand activation does 'usually' require a standard action, but It updated the rules so a wand is activated using the action required by the spell contained within.

*Now I understand Swift (mental) and a 1 swift action casting time - to be different in how they act, similar to immediate and swift in this instance.

if these are using the same "Action" <1 swift action> then I will forgo the wand and ultimately replace that item with something else approved by p26, Otherwise then the wand used and kept.

@paradox26
    Re: The Drow War Epic 3.5 OOC thread
    I will do so, Would you like me to redo all of the "Surpise" attacks that were posted in IC?

Ivory's charge started at 160ft <80ft fly speed> out to coordinate with the effect from ally
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-06-12 at 09:00 AM.