New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Helnith Part 2: Of Shadowed Paths and Spectral Evidence

Mark and Mina:

Sure. Sure, let’s do that,” Mina agreed, then checked to see if the Pokémon were done eating.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    All set here?

----------------

Less:

((Pokémon: ))
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    "You all did very well. Princess, you stood up to that Signal Beam with determination and fortitude. Buck, you held your own against a water type and a fire immune Pokemon for longer than anyone had any right to expect. And Connie, you withstood multiple hits from a fairy move from that Swablu and took it down without breaking a sweat. You all have a great deal to be proud of. I know that I'm proud of all of you."
    Princess clacks her claws loudly, looking smug. Buck perks up a little and his tail wags. Connie’s fluffing starts to look more like puffing and she preens herself.

((Contest Hall: ))
    Less knocked politely on the open door and called out "Elder Rashel?". Buck barked a polite greeting of his own. "My name is Less Douglass. I hope I'm not interrupting anything?" Less tilted his voice into a question at the end.
    “Nothing that can’t wait.” The Elder puts down the trash bag and dusts her hands off. “What was it you needed?”

"A coordinator named Miles told me you were the woman to see when it comes to Poffin. I was hoping for a few pointers."
    “You’ve met Miles, hmm? I admit I’m surprised he spoke with you; he has very little patience for non-Coordinators. But yes, I can get you started with Poffin. What did you want to know?”

----------------

Pinklady:

Show
    Yes, your Pokédex will let you know.

Stat updates:

Pokemon: Cosmas (Tress)
    Type: Dark/Spectral
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Level: 21
    Held Item: NONE
    Stats--
    HP: 54 +11
    Attack: 36 +5
    Def: 28
    Sp. Attack: 34
    Sp. Def: 32
    Speed: 36
    Moves:
    Sing
    Bash*
    Pursuit
    Flash
    Faint Attack
    Haze

Pokemon: Hitmonchan (Sport)
    Type: Fighting
    Ability: Iron Fist
    Level: 24
    Stats--
    HP: 65
    Attack: 62 +6
    Def: 50 +13
    Sp. Attack: 29
    Sp. Def: 65
    Speed: 48
    Moves:
    Tackle
    Helping Hand
    Fake Out
    Foresight (tutor)
    Feint
    Drain Punch

As usual yell if anything looks off!

Whirlywhirly stands guard over the cart while you retrieve the rest of your team; the Chansey keeps trying to convey that something is wrong until you check your Pokédex and notice the concussion.

The Center lobby quickly becomes chaotic. While there are only a handful of people including the nurse, the Chansey that had your Pokémon has been joined by a few more which are treating the Pokémon that were conscious but injured with Softboiled eggs in the light of flashlights and phones, making it much more crowded. Apparently one of the other trainer’s Pokémon was seriously injured as well and his voice is rising as the nurse explains to him that no, he’s going to have to take it to Rieva or Ceris, because she can’t treat it until the damage to the Center is repaired and that’s going to be a few days at least. The most she can offer is a bed for the night.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Helnith Part 2: Of Shadowed Paths and Spectral Evidence

((Pokemon))

Less smiled. He was proud of his team, and it was good to see them take heart at his words. Those Poffin boosts had made Mile's team stronger, even if his Pokemon had been a little lower level. "We'll meet Miles and his Pokemon again, I'm sure. And when we do, we'll have some new tricks up our sleeve." Less paused for a moment, soaking in the heat of the sun. Suddenly, he had an idea. "Say, Buck, are you up for trying something now?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Is the Sunny Day still in effect?
    Also, you mentioned earlier that you would let Buck relearn Morning Sun. Do you mind if I try something here?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    ((Elder))

"I appreciate that, Elder." Less replied. "I haven't had a chance to make any poffin myself, though I've been told it's somewhat like cooking. A friend of mine has a strong interest, and I wanted some experience trying before I helped her mix. I don't want to ruin her hard work because I don't know what I'm doing."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Buck barks eagerly in response.

Show
    Yes, it’s still sunny for you.

You can try yes. Generally speaking, you can always try. Whether or not you will succeed is another matter...

“Perfectly understandable. The best advice I can give is to practice in the Hall Blenders with one Berry at a time until you can manage not to burn or spill the batter. Worry about flavors clashing unfavorably after you have the basics down. And don’t start blending with Berries you can’t afford to do without, you never know if you’ll find them again.”
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Sure. Sure, let’s do that,” Mina agreed, then checked to see if the Pokémon were done eating.
    "Alright. Excellent. We'll figure out what we want to see on our date tomorrow." Yes, that thing, for sure. Munching the last of his crackers and cheese quick, he made sure his pokemon were done eating (except for Fisher, who he'd be feeding outside so he could also de-shadow the water type while training his Carvanha), helped clean things up and bid her a good night. The smallest hint of a blush was going to be on his face until he went to bed...

Show
    Yeah, that should about wrap up the scene.

Once he was left all alone again, Mark went through his step-by-step plan:
    1) Train Carvanha until the fish evolved.
    2) De-shadow Fisher (which, if it isn't interrupted, shouldn't really be that dangerous? The meter is relatively low, so the plan would be to use Corphish as Fisher's opponent, and have Fisher use Mist and Rain Dance until he's de-shadowed or until he rages... but if he rages, he should be low enough in his shadow meter to pop out after just 1-2 rounds, and Corphish and Sharpedo (if necessary) should be able to stand up to that with pretty minimal risk)
    3) Take a gosh danged shower, with the mechanical arm in this time since he needed to wash it but it just didn't have time to give it a proper deep cleaning. It was water resistant, as long as he took off the panels and dried the corrosion-resistant metal alloy that made up the joints before bed, it wouldn't get all rusty or short-circuit on him.
    4) Sleep. Because it would be late, and he needed to get up nice and early in order to go to that beach.

All throughout this grand plan of his, Mark would be flipping from giddy joy to dread as the fact that, yes, he had asked Mina out and she had said yes, in her own Mina way, continued to sink in. Could he have done it better? Oh undoubtedly, but she'd still said yes! Which was fantastic, but also terrifying because he knew he was going to mess this up somehow. But until then, he had a date!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:
    Whirlywhirly stands guard over the cart while you retrieve the rest of your team; the Chansey keeps trying to convey that something is wrong until you check your Pokédex and notice the concussion.

The Center lobby quickly becomes chaotic. While there are only a handful of people including the nurse, the Chansey that had your Pokémon has been joined by a few more which are treating the Pokémon that were conscious but injured with Softboiled eggs in the light of flashlights and phones, making it much more crowded. Apparently one of the other trainer’s Pokémon was seriously injured as well and his voice is rising as the nurse explains to him that no, he’s going to have to take it to Rieva or Ceris, because she can’t treat it until the damage to the Center is repaired and that’s going to be a few days at least. The most she can offer is a bed for the night.
    Pinklady thanks the Chansey and, after heeding her indications, checks her 'dex... and nearly reels from its feedback.

She quickly begins making her way out of the center and back to Whirlywhirly and the cart as the place gets crowded. Before she exits, she overhears enough to understand that Rieva or Ceris are her go-to stops after this matter with the supplies is concluded.

Once outside, Pinklady sits down, shudderingly sighs, and sends out Tress.

"I'm sorry, Tress. I shouldn't have brought you out for the battle, I should have known better. You trusted me, and... I hope you can trust me enough to know I'm going to get you better as soon as this business is finished. I'm sorry."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

((Pokemon))

As Less lead his team to a particularly sunny spot on the grass, and old poem came to him unbidden. "May the warm summer sun, shine kindly here, warm southern wind, blow softly here . . ." the first verse of Warm Summer Sun fell unbidden from his lips. That was the spirit, Less supposed, of what he wanted to try.

Less's voice was still wistful as he continued. "All right Buck, start by closing your eyes. Feel the heat of the sun on your back, on your fur. Feel it in your bones, the warmth from above." Less kept his voice slow as he went, almost trancelike. "And take that heat, and transition it into a memory. Remember the first summers of our boyhood, when I was a lad and you were a pup, fresh from the egg. Remember the energy of those first summer days. Can you feel how it warmed you, cradled you, an lit a fire in your bones? It's that energy I want you to focus on, that years gone sun. Can you feel the memory?"

Show

I appreciate that. As long as I've got a chance!

Not done with this, but I want to see how Buck's responding before continuing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ((Contest Hall))

"I'll do that."
    Less replied . . . "though I find myself somewhat short on berry's I don't need. I suppose I could try with this Durin berry . . . are there people you would recommend practicing with?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark:

Mina cleans up her share of the mess and bids you good night before heading out.

It’s about 9:30 PM when your Carvanha starts to glow:

Spoiler: Sharpedo
    Show

+2 HP from Power Weight applied, +6 total.

Pokemon: Sharpedo
    Type: Water/Dark
    Ability: Rough Skin
    Level: 30
    Held Item: Power Weight
    Stats--
    HP: 91 +6
    Attack: 86
    Def: 38
    Sp. Attack: 71
    Sp. Def: 38
    Speed: 71 +25
    Moves: AT SIX, DROP ONE!
    Focus Energy
    Scary Face
    Ice Fang
    Screech
    Swagger
    Assurance
    Slash

Fisher is cleared of the faint Shadowing without a hitch and you finally get your shower. Once all is said and done it’s 11:30 PM by the time you turn in…

…only to be awakened again after about an hour and a half by increasingly distressed cheeping noises coming from your pack.

----------------

Pinklady:

Tress looks very woozy on being sent out. She tries to nod, but being concussed with a body that’s mostly head she staggers sideways instead.

----------------

Less:

Buck, mostly puzzled judging by his body language, barks once, tail wagging hesitantly.

"I'll do that."
    Less replied . . . "though I find myself somewhat short on berry's I don't need."
    “I can help you with that,” the Elder replies, before digging through the pockets of her robes. “Ah, yes. Here you are,” and she hands you a variety of Berries, mostly of the Poffin varieties.

Spoiler: Berries
    Show

+3 Razz
    +3 Bluk
    +3 Nanab
    +3 Wepear
    +3 Pinap (4 total)
    +2 Oran

". . . are there people you would recommend practicing with?"
    “You should try it by yourself to start with. As a beginner you won’t know which mistakes are yours and which belong to your mixing partners if you’re mixing in a group, and most of your first attempts are going to be lackluster anyway - not worth making extra,” she replies sternly. “But once you’ve mastered the basics, just ask around - some Coordinators are very protective of their recipes, but some are just starting out, and will be happy to help stir once they know you aren’t going to burn the batter.”
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good." Less replied, before explaining. "I'm going to try to guide you through a memory exercise, like we'd do with the kids at school sometimes." Less paused for just a moment. "Focus on that sun, from when you were young. Breathe, and remember what it was like to play underneath it, when you could feel it's energy coursing through you. Remember that feeling, and feel this sun." Less stopped for just a moment to run a comforting hand through Buck's greying mane.

"Remember when my parents took us on vacation to Lacunesa Town. It was a day like today, hot, and fierce. We were supposed to stay with my parents on the guided hike, but we slipped away, to have our own adventure. Do you remember the creek there? We were playing on the elevated edge, and I slipped. I started to fall, but you came with me, you broke my fall and made sure I didn't get hurt. But you did, remember. You had bruises and scrapes all over . . . but the sun was shining bright. You took one look up at me, and you took in the sun, and the damage was gone as if it was never there."

Less continued petting his friend through the story. "I want you to try to remember that feeling. Feel this sun like you felt it so many years ago . . . feel it flow through you. Can you feel it energize you, trying to wash away the old hurts, the your aching bones and all the hurt that's built up over the decades. Can you feel it?"

-----------------------------------------------------------
    ((Contest Hall))

Less thanked the elder for the berries.

"Alone at first. I can try that. Thank you, both for the berries and your time. I appreciate it."
    After that, Less made polite goodbyes and went to go find a solo blender to practice.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

+2 HP from Power Weight applied, +6 total.

Pokemon: Sharpedo
    Type: Water/Dark
    Ability: Rough Skin
    Level: 30
    Held Item: Power Weight
    Stats--
    HP: 91 +6
    Attack: 86
    Def: 38
    Sp. Attack: 71
    Sp. Def: 38
    Speed: 71 +25
    Moves: AT SIX, DROP ONE!
    Focus Energy
    Scary Face
    Ice Fang
    Screech
    Swagger
    Assurance
    Slash

Fisher is cleared of the faint Shadowing without a hitch and you finally get your shower. Once all is said and done it’s 11:30 PM by the time you turn in…

…only to be awakened again after about an hour and a half by increasingly distressed cheeping noises coming from your pack.
    Show
    We'll be dropping Focus Energy, and taking off the Power Weight for now. Probably going to start handing that around with other pokemon soon here. We'll also swap future EV's on the sharpedo to Attack, because Xatu is right and power is important, even if speed is also important.

Bleary-eyed and groaning, Mark fumbled about for his glasses and his phone so he could investigate this sound. What had... oh wait, the egg! It had been close to hatching, right? Standing up to turn on the room light, he dug around one-handed to get out the incubator (he'd pulled the mechanical arm out for the night, as he usually did) so he could rescue the poor baby and get it some attention... and probably some food, too.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

Tress looks very woozy on being sent out. She tries to nod, but being concussed with a body that’s mostly head she staggers sideways instead.
    "I'm sorry..." Pinklady says again before withdrawing Tress again, sure that being in the ball would be more comfortable for her. She also withdraws Whirlywhirly after almost absentmindedly assigning him watch. He and the rest of her team had done enough effort for the night; now Pinklady endeavored to stay awake, at least for a few hours, to watch over the cart.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

"Focus on that sun, from when you were young. Breathe, and remember what it was like to play underneath it, when you could feel it's energy coursing through you. Remember that feeling, and feel this sun."
    Buck takes a deep breath, but still seems more confused than anything.

"Remember when my parents took us on vacation to Lacunesa Town. It was a day like today, hot, and fierce. We were supposed to stay with my parents on the guided hike, but we slipped away, to have our own adventure. Do you remember the creek there? We were playing on the elevated edge, and I slipped. I started to fall, but you came with me, you broke my fall and made sure I didn't get hurt. But you did, remember. You had bruises and scrapes all over . . . but the sun was shining bright. You took one look up at me, and you took in the sun, and the damage was gone as if it was never there."
    Buck barks once in agreement. Apparently he remembers.

"I want you to try to remember that feeling. Feel this sun like you felt it so many years ago . . . feel it flow through you. Can you feel it energize you, trying to wash away the old hurts, the your aching bones and all the hurt that's built up over the decades. Can you feel it?"
    Buck makes a guttural noise and takes the ‘play with me!’ pose, but there’s a certain questioning look to his eyes and posture that tells you he knows that’s not what you’re after.

It occurs to you this isn’t going to be something you’re likely to manage in an afternoon - if it were that easy, everyone would do it and there would be no point for Trainer Hill to have a dedicated Move Tutor.

"Alone at first. I can try that. Thank you, both for the berries and your time. I appreciate it." After that, Less made polite goodbyes and went to go find a solo blender to practice.
    You find a Blender without issue; apparently cooking Poffin isn’t a popular activity right now.

Spoiler: DM Rule Reminder
    Show
    For each Berry you mix into Poffin, you are required to guess 1 flavor of the resulting Poffin, starting with the highest flavor and going to the lowest, in order.

So 1 Berry means you need to guess the highest flavor. 2 Berries means you need the highest and second highest. Etc.

----------------

Mark:

The baby has mostly managed to break through the shell, but is trapped by both the incubator and your pack.

Once freed from both of those, the hatchling wriggles loose. Its body is long and pale, with a pair of metal protrusions coming out of its shoulders. It has a blunt snout and a tail, the latter of which has a spray of something hairlike along the bottom edge like an elongated broom - even newly hatched and covered in egg goop the hairs look slightly transparent. It wobbles slightly on all four legs until it gets its balance, cheeping uncertainly.

The Pokédex says she’s an Opdra.

Spoiler: Opdra
    Show
    Pokémon: Opdra (Opdra)
    Type: Normal/Dragon
    Ability: Phase - 20% chance Physical moves have no effect
    Level: 5
    Stats--
    HP: 21
    Attack: 12
    Def: 9
    Sp. Attack: 13
    Sp. Def: 11
    Speed: 11
    Moves:
    Pound
    Tail Whip
    Dragonbreath (Egg Move)

-Mystery Egg 1. Also, remember that you do need to actually catch it if you intend to keep it.

----------------

Pinklady:

There is just enough suspicious movement out in the dark to make you glad you kept watch, but you manage to make it to sunrise without further incident.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-06-18 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Forgot Egg move
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, that wasn't a bird. With the peeping, Mark had thought it was a bird! Instead, he ended up holding a baby dragon in his lap, and he let the little pokemon sniff at his hand to get used to his scent before petting along the top of her head. "Hello there, little one. Welcome to the world." He said in a still-bleary voice. It was too late for him to be totally awake right now. "Let's go get you something to eat, yeah?"

Which is how Mark wound up sitting on the kitchen floor after midnight, one-armed and shirtless, setting out different foods in front of the hatchling to see what she favored, while going through the pokedex entries on Opdra to see what her known moveset, evolutions, etc were. That ability was freaking ridiculous, though. Would she be able to walk through walls and stuff when she grew up? Was she one of those pokemon that started with one type and then changed to another as they leveled up, like some cuebone in Alola? Sleepy Mark needed to know.

Spoiler: Pokeball
    Show
    The little derg is getting kept, and she gets my last GLAMOUR BALL! Gotta make the drgs sparkly.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Buck makes a guttural noise and takes the ‘play with me!’ pose, but there’s a certain questioning look to his eyes and posture that tells you he knows that’s not what you’re after.

It occurs to you this isn’t going to be something you’re likely to manage in an afternoon - if it were that easy, everyone would do it and there would be no point for Trainer Hill to have a dedicated Move Tutor.
    Less felt a brief surge of frustration before stamping it down. He had been teaching his whole life. If the move tutor could figure this out, so could he. It wasn't Buck he was frustrated at after all. There had to be a trick to teaching Pokemon this way.

After a calming breath, Less said. "Let's try focusing on the sunlight for another half an hour or so, Buck? If we focus for that long, we can spend twice as long playing. I think I see a promising stick just over there. How does that sound?"

You find a Blender without issue; apparently cooking Poffin isn’t a popular activity right now.
    After a moment, Less put a Bluk and a Nanab berry in the blender. Both of those fruits were sweet, so hopefully they'd make some kind of reasonable poffin together.

Spoiler: Poffin Flavor Guesses
    Show

Highest
    1. Sweet
    2. Dry
    3. Bitter
    4. Spicy
    5. Sour

2nd Highest
    1. Dry
    2. Bitter
    3. Sweet.
    4. Spicy
    5. Sour

3rd Highest
    1. Bitter
    2. Dry
    3. Sweet
    4. Spicy
    5. Sour

4th Highest
    1. Spicy
    2. Sour
    3. Bitter
    4. Dry
    5. Sweet

5th Highest
    1. Sour
    2. Spicy
    3. Bitter
    4. Dry
    5. Sweet

-------------------
    Show

Realizing I'm still way behind, may I motion for a tri-part timeline? If agreeable below.

As low tide neared, Less headed out on Buck's back and started to make his way toward Tidepath.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark:

Show
    -1 Glamour Ball, 0 remaining.

Also I need to know who you’re switching her for if you’re keeping her out, because otherwise she gets whisked off to Box Storage.

The Pokédex says she’ll evolve into Wierdra at level 35 and Fieberdra at level 65. It doesn’t look like she’s going to change type when she evolves, remaining Normal/Dragon throughout her evolutionary line. The ‘dex also has a rundown of her expected moves:

Spoiler: Opdra Pokédex Information
    Show

A rare Pokémon from the Helnith region, the hairs on its tail are used to make fiber optic cables of unusual strength and durability.

Start - Pound
    Start - Tail Whip
    6 - Charge
    9 - Twister
    12 - Thunder Fang
    15 - Thunder Wave
    17 - Endeavor
    21 - Spark
    26 - Dragon Tail
    31 - Dragonbreath
    36 - Vanish*
    38 - Discharge
    42 - Signal Beam
    47 - Power Up*
    53 - Prism Beam*
    56 - Dragon Rush
    60 - Trick Room
    66 - Zap Cannon

She seems interested in the food but while she does nibble at some of your offerings she mostly seems to view it as potentially interesting new toys. She also seems to greatly enjoy the head rubs, squeezing her eyes shut and bumping her head against your hand.

----------------

Less:

Buck’s tail wags excitedly and then he obediently stands ramrod straight to stare at a particularly bright patch of ground.

The rest of the half hour goes about as well, except that Princess starts clacking her claws at the halfway mark out of boredom and Connie buries her beak in her wing to take a nap. You’re not sure at this point if you’re making progress or not.

Playtime goes much better and you can tell that Buck at least considers the time to have been well spent.

You throw in your selected Berries and get to work. After a few minutes of blending, the Blender produces a pair of pinkish Poffin with specks of green throughout. They aren’t the most perfect Poffin you’ve ever seen, but not bad for a first attempt either.

Spoiler: Blend Results
    Show

Berry combo leads to a result that is tied for Sweet and Bitter, so:

Highest - Bonus
    2nd Highest - No Bonus
    3rd Highest - No Bonus
    4th Highest - Bonus
    5th Highest - Bonus

-1 Bluk (2 remaining)
    -1 Nanab (2 remaining)

+2 Poffin (+8 Sweet, +8 Bitter, +18 Feel)

((Low Tide: ))

By the time low tide rolls around, the worst of the day’s heat has passed. En route you pass a small stream of people going north as you head south, mostly with swimsuits and beach towels - it seems a number of them decided to spend the scorching day by the water as much as possible - but no one bothers you beyond a cheerful wave or two and you make it to Tidepath without incident, at about 7 PM.

Spoiler: Tidepath Map
    Show

Points of interest:
    • Big white rectangles – Grand Docks (commercial boats)
    • Smaller white rectangles – Little Docks (personal boats)
    • The big gray rectangles are warehouses
    • Lighter gray square - Mart
    • White square - Pokémon Center
    • Dark blue square - Dive Shop
    • Gold rectangle - Cruise Charter
    • Green L-shape - Pokémon Fan Club
    • Orange square - Garden Shop
    • Lighter blue boxes 1-4 are businesses.
    • Smaller blue boxes 1-6 are houses, most notably the Berry Master’s house at 5.
    • Purple rectangle is the City Hall
    • Circle - fountain.
    • Pink square - (New) Geology Club Headquarters
    • Light green rectangle - Harbor Master’s house/office
    • Big circle - Lighthouse
    • Yellow rectangle - Bar (the ‘Singing Dewgong’)
    • Bright green rectangle - Ranger Union
    • Purple T-shape - (Human) School.

Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Less lets playtime go on a little longer than promised, and makes sure to include Connie and Princess at first, and then Dancer and Hero. Poor Leo gets left in his ball, his skin too sensitive for the sweltering heat.

((End Scene))
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ((Contest Hall))

Less harumphed down at the resulting Poffin. It was fine . . . but it hadn't been excellent, so Less immediately felt like he failed. The old teacher shook that foolish thought out of his head, and tried again, this time using a Pinap and an Oran Berry

Spoiler: Guesses
    Show

Highest
    1. Spicy
    2. Dry
    3. Sour
    4. Bitter
    5. Sweet

2nd Highest
    1. Dry
    2. Spicy
    3. Sour
    4. Bitter
    5. Sweet

3rd Highest
    1. Sour
    2. Spicy
    3. Sweet
    4. Bitter
    5. Dry

4th Highest
    1. Bitter
    2. Sweet
    3. Sour
    4. Spicy
    5. Dry

5th Highest
    1. Sweet
    2. Bitter
    3. Sour
    4. Spicy
    5. Dry

--------------------
    ((Tidepath))

Less absentmindedly returns the waves as he heads into town. First thing was first though, work. Less headed over to the Grand Docks to look for the Warlock.

Spoiler: Question
    Show

Where are the 8 gyms in Helnith supposed to be located? And what is the "normal" order?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    -1 Glamour Ball, 0 remaining.

Also I need to know who you’re switching her for if you’re keeping her out, because otherwise she gets whisked off to Box Storage.

The Pokédex says she’ll evolve into Wierdra at level 35 and Fieberdra at level 65. It doesn’t look like she’s going to change type when she evolves, remaining Normal/Dragon throughout her evolutionary line. The ‘dex also has a rundown of her expected moves:

Spoiler: Opdra Pokédex Information
    Show

A rare Pokémon from the Helnith region, the hairs on its tail are used to make fiber optic cables of unusual strength and durability.

Start - Pound
    Start - Tail Whip
    6 - Charge
    9 - Twister
    12 - Thunder Fang
    15 - Thunder Wave
    17 - Endeavor
    21 - Spark
    26 - Dragon Tail
    31 - Dragonbreath
    36 - Vanish*
    38 - Discharge
    42 - Signal Beam
    47 - Power Up*
    53 - Prism Beam*
    56 - Dragon Rush
    60 - Trick Room
    66 - Zap Cannon

She seems interested in the food but while she does nibble at some of your offerings she mostly seems to view it as potentially interesting new toys. She also seems to greatly enjoy the head rubs, squeezing her eyes shut and bumping her head against your hand.
    Show
    I'll put Jessia into storage for now. Might try to get in some training in the morning if I can't find the surfer bro, we'll see how that goes.

Wow, that was a lot of electric moves on her move list, but not that many normal ones. He'd have to check SM's, see if she could get Hyper Beam or something since most of those moves look like they were skewing special attack. He also had to look up Vanish, Power Up and Prism Beam, since he didn't recognize those moves. Still though... this little dragon was going to require a lot of training, like that dark dragon over in Kalos with all the extra heads. She'd probably be worth it, though.

Once she was fully done eating, Mark gave her a few more chin rubs, followed by full-body scritches, and then finally recalled her so that he could go back to bed. Three new pokemon today! Er... in the same 24 hour period. Close enough. And he was going to get Tattersail back in the morning. Things were finally looking up for him.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

There is just enough suspicious movement out in the dark to make you glad you kept watch, but you manage to make it to sunrise without further incident.
    With little hesitation, Pinklady gets up and stretches as the day breaks. The night watch had given her plenty of time - first to dwell, then to think on, and then to become resolute from her recent failures. This wasn't her first major failure in properly taking care of those who trusted in her - just the first time in awhile. There was no room here to grow complacent; it was simply time to do better.
    "Ready, Whirlywhirly?" She asks after sending him out and grabbing the harness, ready to put it back on him.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

Your second batch comes out better, as perfectly cooked as one could wish, but this time red with blue flecks.

Spoiler: Blend Results
    Show

Highest - Bonus
    2nd Highest - Bonus
    3rd Highest - Bonus
    4th Highest - Bonus
    5th Highest - Bonus

-1 Oran, 1 remaining
    -1 Pinap, 3 remaining

+2 Poffin (+8 Spicy, +8 Dry, +18 Feel)

((Tidepath: ))

Show
    As I mentioned before, there are more than eight Gyms, League challengers are just required to get Badges from that many. They’re marked on the region map, you can see the icon in the map key. And there isn’t a ‘normal’ order.

You find the KS Warlock after some wandering around the Grand Docks, but as late as it is the docks are largely abandoned; the ship in question has the gangway pulled up and is mostly dark.

----------------

Mark:

The baby seems to enjoy the extra attention before being recalled.

The rest of the night passes without incident and you wake up around 8 AM.

----------------

Pinklady:

Whirlywhirly’s mouthparts clack together, a gesture you recognize from long association as a demand for food, before you can put the harness on him.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark woke up and... today was the daaaaay! Dressing and getting his arm back in, just clicking the now-dry plates back into place, Mark made his way to the front desk so he could finally pick up Tattersail! After he has his sassy psychic type he'll be able to pick up some coffee and worry about teleporting as close to the beach as he can. Let's see if he can find that surfer bro with Surf...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

((Contest Hall))

Less looked down at the Poffins he had made. Well cooked . . . but totally useless. In order to achieve his actual aim, they would need Poffins that had approximately five times as much flavor as they did feel, reduced to two and a half times as much flavor if they had a collection of all the relevant pins. Even to get the maximum boost to two stats, like Miles had, they would need a poffin that had twice as much flavor as feel.

These two berry poffins actually had less flavor than feel all the way around, which made them not fit for consumption, despite the longing in Buck's eyes as he looked at them. "No, These are bad for you," Less replied to the silent plea.

Less looked over the berries the elder had given him with disappointment. These berries weren't going to do at all, which shouldn't have been a surprise, as none of them were mentioned in the recipes that he had found on the internet. Besides, they had been given to him to help practice, probably because they weren't very useful for serious poffin making. He hadn't even proven that he could avoid burning batter at that point.

Less gave a scan around the hall, looking to see if activity had picked up.

Show

What time is it?

----------------------------------------------------
    ((Docks))
    Show

I saw the key, but they're a little small on the map. I was having a hard time making it out.

In other news, I'm officially getting my first pair of glasses this weekend, so there's that.

Less frowned at the dark ship. It looked like he'd have to come back in the morning. Less headed over the the Pokemon Center. It was time for food and mingling, though he had plans to fish later.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

Whirlywhirly’s mouthparts clack together, a gesture you recognize from long association as a demand for food, before you can put the harness on him.
    "Oh! Right, of course!" Pinklady laughs a bit, suddenly realising that she was hungry, too. "One moment!" She says as she quickly heads into the Pokémon Center. She takes a moment to assess the place's condition before she proceeds to ask about the food situation. After all, she thought, the power situation was definitely bad, and at least she and the longtime members of her team knew how to forage. Although... even that alternative, she recalled, wasn't as reliable here as back home.
    Last edited by essCee; 2024-06-21 at 05:47 PM. Reason: wanted to break up a pretty convoluted, long sentence

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark:

The nurse meets you at the front desk with Tattersail - the Psychic type is out of her ball, which the nurse hands to you.

“Your Gardevoir is recovered enough I can give her back to you. Her injuries were serious, so there might be some aching from the bones that broke after this, and I will recommend an hour or two of gentle physical therapy for a few more days, to make sure she retains her range of motion. But she doesn’t need to stay here for that.”

<Don’t forget you promised me pampering!>

----------------

Less:

Buck whines and lies down, looking disappointed.

There are one or two likely-Coordinator candidates present - one girl actively blending, though with the look of intense concentration on her face and faint scent of burned fruit around her she’s not much more experienced at this than you are. There is also a boy off to the side on the phone wearing fancier-than-average clothes, chatting loudly with whoever is on the other end.

It is otherwise mostly empty. It occurs to you that it’s dinner time, and on a hot day like today huddling around a specialized oven - even in air conditioning - probably isn’t going to be high on anyone’s list of priorities.

Show
    It’s 6 PMish, you leave for Tidepath at 6:30. We can squeeze in another round or two or stop here, your choice.

Show
    After you get your glasses let me know if you’re still having issues. In the mean time:

Aitel Island, Hillsbreak Town, Seapoint City, Ternai Town, Greshil Town, Stardust City, Skybreak City, Coastmarch City, Shadowbeach City, Landsedge City, and one random Gym up in the Icereach Mountains.

Obviously, this is just indicating that there is or was a Gym there, not their current state. 😈

The Pokémon Center in contrast is nicely busy, mostly with beach-goers, a few out-of-place looking trainers with Mining Kits or other digging equipment, and the occasional younger sailor. From the smell, someone is making pasta in the kitchen.

----------------

Pinklady:

As expected the power is still out, and the first person you check with warns you that the usual cooking appliances are out with the power, but says there’s still food for now. When you make it to the kitchen - in the dark except for a couple of flashlights and lanterns in strategic places - you find one of the sentries from the night before systematically emptying the dark and silent fridge. Most of the contents are already sitting on the countertop.

He sees you enter and waves at the food sitting out - eggs, fruit, vegetables, perishables of all kinds. “Take what you want from that first; it’s going to spoil before we get the power back.”
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Thank you!

And yes, I'm sure most of them are dungeons of evil by this point.

That means there are three of them that aren't in Bandra controlled territory, doesn't it? Counting the spectral gym that only a crazy person would try to take on?

Also I noticed Dancer is missing an EV, which I would like to put in Speed.

((Contest Hall))

Less squatted down and gave Buck a few conciliatory head ruffles. "I promise, you'll get a sample of the first good batch of these that Mina and I make." Less stood up and wiped the sweat from his brow. Today had been an excellent day for his physical fitness, for better or worse.

After a moment of consideration, Less headed over to the young woman. "Hello." Less said as he approached, a greeting that Buck echoed with a bark. "I noticed that you were also trying your hand at making Poffin. I've been doing the same for the first time today. Do you want to compare notes?"

----------------------------------
    ((Tidepath Pokemon Center))

Food was first priority. Less secured a meal for himself and his team, (including by lending a hand with the cooking, and then headed out to eat for himself after his team is fed. If the young sailors are still present, Less will approach and ask, "Is this seat taken?"

Show

Permission to also start the late night fishing?

((If permission granted.))

After dusk fell, Less headed up to the northern part of the island to go fishing. He had managed to coax Buck into his ball briefly with some extra food, which was worth it, because the big lug would scare away every water Pokemon in a ten mile radius if left unchecked. Instead, Less had Leo out for company, now that the worst of the day's heat had faded.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark nodded along with the Nurse's words. "Makes sense, and I'm familiar with stuff like that." His robo hand wiggles its fingers to emphasize his understanding. "But if you could write down the techniques she should follow, I would be grateful. Oh, and Lijan should have sent a message for me!" That list should have arrived sometime yesterday. To Tattersail, Mark replied, <We'll be pampering you for sure. If the plasters job goes quick, it'll be later today. If it goes long, then it'll be as soon as possible tomorrow. Either way, though, we're going to the beach this morning! And I have a new baby pokemon for you to meet!> And potentially more pokemon on top of that.

Once he was done in the center, Mark gathered up some pokechow and snacks from the kitchens, 'made' himself a breakfast of a cold bagel with peanut butter and a mug of coffee, refilled his water bottle, and teleported to Trainer Hill. It was the closest place Tattersail could teleport to the coast line where they'd heard about the surfer, after all, and if necessary he could do some teleport-skipping to get there faster... but he should only be an hour's walk away or so, right?

Show
    If it takes longer than an hour to find the beach area with non-Bandra people, Mark's cheating with teleportation-skipping.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Less:

“Oh!” She looks up from her most recent batch of Poffin. “We can do that, I don’t mind.”

The sailors are still there, chowing down on heartier-than-average looking meals. One of them (mouth very full) makes a ‘go ahead’ gesture at the seat in question.

((Fishing: ))

Show
    How long are you fishing for?

----------------

Akio:

The other trainer gives up quickly in the face of your lack of response and scampers back inside.

Bare minutes later, one of the security patrols swoops by and you’re carted off to the police station for breaking curfew.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Contest Hall

"Excellent." Less replied. "My name is Lester Douglass, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Is there a specific kind of poffin you were hoping to make?"

‐------------------‐----------------
    ((Pokemon Center)))

"Thank you. Less responded, before sitting down, and starting to eat. "What brings you to Helnith?" Less asked, after a brief round of introductions.

-------------
    ((Fishing))

Show

Let's start with an hour.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark the 🥷:

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    Mark nodded along with the Nurse's words. "Makes sense, and I'm familiar with stuff like that." His robo hand wiggles its fingers to emphasize his understanding. "But if you could write down the techniques she should follow, I would be grateful."
    “Of course!” The nurse scribbles off instructions on a nearby notepad before ripping off the top sheet and handing it to you. They appear to be mostly for stretches. ((+Stretching Exercise Note))

"Oh, and Lijan should have sent a message for me!" That list should have arrived sometime yesterday.
    “I think I have it, let me take a look,” and she starts rifling through papers, eventually emerging with a sealed envelope, which she then hands to you. ((+Lijan’s Suspect List))

To Tattersail, Mark replied, <We'll be pampering you for sure. If the plasters job goes quick, it'll be later today. If it goes long, then it'll be as soon as possible tomorrow. Either way, though, we're going to the beach this morning! And I have a new baby pokemon for you to meet!> And potentially more pokemon on top of that.
    Tattersail’s response isn’t in words, instead being a mental image of floating in warm ocean water, accompanied by the scent of saltwater and a sense of general contentment.

Once he was done in the center, Mark gathered up some pokechow and snacks from the kitchens, 'made' himself a breakfast of a cold bagel with peanut butter and a mug of coffee, refilled his water bottle, and teleported to Trainer Hill. It was the closest place Tattersail could teleport to the coast line where they'd heard about the surfer, after all, and if necessary he could do some teleport-skipping to get there faster... but he should only be an hour's walk away or so, right?
    You arrive at the beach around about 10 AM. The tide is at about the midway point, and there’s already a fair scattering of people present - swimming, sunbathing, beachcombing. There are even a few people surfing but it’s unclear if any of them is the surfer you’re looking for.

----------------

Less:

“Danika Green, but you can call me Danni,” Danni replies. “I’m trying to make Cute Poffins but I don’t think I have enough of the right Berries, and when I tried two Nopei Berries at once they just burned.” She pouts.

“Oh we just came in on the Tidesurfer,” your seatmate (who introduced himself as Galiot) replies. “Captain said we could have the night off, seeing as we made it here in one piece. Lovely island you’ve got here, shame about the war.”

((Fishing: ))

Twenty minutes in, you pull up a Carvanha, which flails madly in an attempt to free itself from the line. Not long after that, you bring in a whiskered fish creature with a tail like a shark’s that the Pokédex identifies as an Estuar. The remainder of the hour is quiet except for the song of some distant Pokémon.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2024-06-24 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Sailor has a name
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

((Contest Hall))

"A pleasure to meet you, Danni." Less drawled, "I'm running into the same problem. I don't think my berries make good poffin. And doubling up does seem to burn them. I'm not sure why." Less hmmed for a moment. "Well, if you're trying to make sweet Poffin, then I've got a Bluk berry and a Watmel berry that might be able to help. I think there are better berries for that mix, but this is all I've got on me. We could mix that with one of your sweet berries and another Nopei, if you still have one?" Less asked.

-----------------------------
    ((Pokemon Center))

"It is." Less didn't clarify what comment he was responding too. Both of Galiot's statements were true. "I'm from Unovo myself, but I fell in love with this place a long time ago." Less shook his head ruefully before continuing. "But enough about me. You and your shipmates must have come from a long way off."

------------------------------
    ((Fishing))

Less cast the Carvanha back out to see. It didn't seem like it wanted to be caught, and Less really didn't need another dark type on his team. The second Pokemon, however, Less hauled in, and pulled out his Pokedex to scan while trying to take Pinklady's advice. "Do you mind if Leo and I try to catch you? If we succeed I promise to make sure you're taken care of for as long as I can manage." Less tried not to dwell on the fact that that might not be very long at all, if the upcoming trip went awry.

If the fish seems anything other than extremely opposed to being caught, Less will send Leo out and call for a Poison Sting.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark opened up the letter from Lijan while he was making his way to the beach, so he could see just how long of a list he was looking at. Elren had been an important person, after all... how many people could have had easy access to him? Probably too many people, to be honest.

At the beach, Mark tucks away that letter and sends out Opdra and Marick to join him and Tattersail on the beach. "Alright guys, we've got a couple hours before we have to go to Skybreak and meet up with Mina and the university people. Let's find you guys a place where you can lay back and relax, while I look for this surfer guy." He was meeting up at Skybreak a little after noon, so he should have two hours to look, and maybe to find a couple inflatable wings, life jacket or a pool noodle so he can teach Opdra how to swim. For now his water types are kept in their balls, so that he can carry them around a bit easier while he looked, but once it was time to start really swimming around they'd also come out to play.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

As expected the power is still out, and the first person you check with warns you that the usual cooking appliances are out with the power, but says there’s still food for now. When you make it to the kitchen - in the dark except for a couple of flashlights and lanterns in strategic places - you find one of the sentries from the night before systematically emptying the dark and silent fridge. Most of the contents are already sitting on the countertop.

He sees you enter and waves at the food sitting out - eggs, fruit, vegetables, perishables of all kinds. “Take what you want from that first; it’s going to spoil before we get the power back.”
    "Thank you! I'm heading for the Shrine of Light today, is there any sort of message I could pass on to the people there that would help?" Pinklady asks as she picks out some perishable foods she was sure Whirlywhirly would particularly enjoy. If the kitchen and fridge are large enough for two people to maneuver around it, she also fills the time spent talking to help empty the fridge contents onto the countertop.