New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Sterilize, a Healer Spell from OD&D

So, for reasons I won't go into, I have chosen to focus more on older editions of D&D rather than what has become of 5e, and I genuinely enjoy a lot of what I can find. But, to those I consider far more knowledgeable than I, I have a question.

In the 3rd Issue of Dragon Magazine, a few new classes were added to the then Original Dungons and Dragons, of the subject today is the Healer.

One of it's spells: Sterilize, as 7th level spell, stated as follows "this spell will cleanse any room of any infection, mold,
    slime, or nasty creatures, up to 5 hit die." That's it, that's all. So my question is, to those who understood this original edition better:

A: How large of an area would this resonably affect?
    B: Does this spell function 1) As sleep does in 5e with a fixed number of hit dice it can use to deal damage to all targets in the area, or 2) simply kill everything in the area that would have 5 hit dice or less?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Sterilize, a Healer Spell from OD&D

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.PC0X View Post
    So, for reasons I won't go into, I have chosen to focus more on older editions of D&D rather than what has become of 5e, and I genuinely enjoy a lot of what I can find. But, to those I consider far more knowledgeable than I, I have a question.

In the 3rd Issue of Dragon Magazine, a few new classes were added to the then Original Dungons and Dragons, of the subject today is the Healer.

One of it's spells: Sterilize, as 7th level spell, stated as follows "this spell will cleanse any room of any infection, mold,
    slime, or nasty creatures, up to 5 hit die." That's it, that's all. So my question is, to those who understood this original edition better:

A: How large of an area would this resonably affect?

Somewhat arbitrarily, 40' radius from caster.

My rationale is to look at the RC 7th level spells, notably Earthquake and Holy Word. Earthquake starts at 60' square (meaning a square 60' on a side, not 60 square feet), while Holy Word is a flat 40' radius.

B: Does this spell function 1) As sleep does in 5e with a fixed number of hit dice it can use to deal damage to all targets in the area, or 2) simply kill everything in the area that would have 5 hit dice or less?
    It is a 7th level spell. It'll kill all that stuff with 5hd or less.

Rules Cyclopedia isn't the OLDEST D&D... I know of folks who play nothing but the first boxed set. However, it is one of the best editions, with some sensibilities similar to the earlier games.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post

My rationale is to look at the RC 7th level spells, notably Earthquake and Holy Word. Earthquake starts at 60' square (meaning a square 60' on a side, not 60 square feet), while Holy Word is a flat 40' radius.

Rules Cyclopedia isn't the OLDEST D&D... I know of folks who play nothing but the first boxed set. However, it is one of the best editions, with some sensibilities similar to the earlier games.
    I seem to recall other spells with a "room" as the area...I would probably be a little more lenient in the size, but draconian in the application, and go any structural space bounded by floor, walls and ceiling not extruding into adjacent areas. Its magic. Magic knows what a room is, even if there aren't closed doors.

But yeah, all the poor little slimes, molds and puddings 5HD or less just stop being.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    I seem to recall other spells with a "room" as the area...I would probably be a little more lenient in the size, but draconian in the application, and go any structural space bounded by floor, walls and ceiling not extruding into adjacent areas. Its magic. Magic knows what a room is, even if there aren't closed doors.
    Part of the reason I'd go with a reasonably firm radius is "room" can get pretty weird. What if you cast it in the middle of a field? What if you cast it in a giant cave?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Part of the reason I'd go with a reasonably firm radius is "room" can get pretty weird. What if you cast it in the middle of a field? What if you cast it in a giant cave?
    Understood - that's why I said the "draconian" part. In olden days of yore I wouldn't have allowed it to cast in a field. A cave, yes...so long as it was part of a cave network. Then the players and I would fight about it, drink Mountain Dew and play Atari, then come back to the game.

- M

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post

But yeah, all the poor little slimes, molds and puddings 5HD or less just stop being.

- M
    The spell does not designate that there is a save, I assume there isn't one? In addition, does this spell just kill everything with 5HD or less, people included?

7. - Top - End - #7

The spell does not designate that there is a save, I assume there isn't one? In addition, does this spell just kill everything with 5HD or less, people included?
    7th level spell, I don't think there'd be a save. However, I would definitely NOT allow it to include people... Your quote is "this spell will cleanse any room of any infection, mold, slime, or nasty creatures, up to 5 hit die." "Nasty creatures", IMO, doesn't include people, given the example of infections, molds, and slimes. I'd include puddings and fungal creatures, so you might wipe out a myconoid colony with this, but you wouldn't be able to use it to kill a ton of orcs or trolls (unless you're going with a world where they're fungi, themselves).
    The Cranky Gamer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

7th level spell, I don't think there'd be a save. However, I would definitely NOT allow it to include people... Your quote is "this spell will cleanse any room of any infection, mold, slime, or nasty creatures, up to 5 hit die." "Nasty creatures", IMO, doesn't include people, given the example of infections, molds, and slimes. I'd include puddings and fungal creatures, so you might wipe out a myconoid colony with this, but you wouldn't be able to use it to kill a ton of orcs or trolls (unless you're going with a world where they're fungi, themselves).
    Personally, being lenient, I'd extend it to include vermin like rats and insects, corporeal undead like zombies, and some abberations (To use newer terms). Would this seem feasible? Though limiting it to exterminating funguses and oozes is fine.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

It's not RAW, but I would probably adjudicate the mechanics of "a room" as being similar to BX Fireball's volume based action, filling a room up to a certain size or just being a radius if used out in the open. Say, 90' radius, which is about 3,000,000 cubic feet, until stopped by a wall or doorway or some such thing. It's a huge area, but it won't go around corners or through cracks.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

10. - Top - End - #10

Personally, being lenient, I'd extend it to include vermin like rats and insects, corporeal undead like zombies, and some abberations (To use newer terms). Would this seem feasible? Though limiting it to exterminating funguses and oozes is fine.
    I don't see a big problem; like I said, it's a 7th level spell. If you're worried about rats and insects with less than 5HD at that point, you've got more problems that will be solved by this spell.
    The Cranky Gamer

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see a big problem; like I said, it's a 7th level spell. If you're worried about rats and insects with less than 5HD at that point, you've got more problems that will be solved by this spell.
    Yeah, I guess the idea of vermin as disease vector stands to reason. See also: Bitey Zombies.

- M

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

The spell does not designate that there is a save, I assume there isn't one?
    My reading of the OD&D rules is that all spells (that affect creatures) give saves unless they specifically say that they don't. There are very few spells that actually specify if they give saves or not.

To those commenting that the spell is 7th level and should be powerful, note that the Healer class in question gets 7th level spells at level 7(!), so it should probably be more comparable to a 4th level magic-user spell.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd go with "You could cast it in a field, but there's no legitimate targets, so it would have no effect"

But I'm with Modar, any size room is fine. Most rooms will be in the normal size range. If I, as a GM with a healer in the party am putting an outrageously big room full of things that will be killed by this spell, they're there to give the healer "their moment" or I've created a long and probably boring fight.

But also, rooms only. Not caves unless there's at least one door. Not passageways. Not tents.

If they need to sterilise a space and they start building, I won't get into how much they have to build, ill make a snap decision about cash price and time that seems about reasonable and they will finish it "Just in time" if there's time pressure or "Eventually" if there's not
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!