New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Detecting creatures

So if a creature uses Alter Self, will it still be able to be detected by it's original form? For example, if a ranger's favored enemy is orcs, and an orc uses Alter Self to become a human, will the Ranger still be able to detect it as a favored enemy?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Detecting creatures

This could be a very difficult question but is fortunately very easy.

Alter Self doesn't change types and subtypes, so the orc is still a humanoid (orc), and rangers don't care whether something is 'an orc' they care whether something is a humanoid with the orc subtype. So the ranger can still 'detect' the orc as well as before.

Now, an orc polymorphed into a human...
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Now, an orc polymorphed into a human...
    I double-checked the source for the situation and it actually is polymorph.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    What matters is the creature type and subtype for these kinds of effects. The augmented subtype has no bearing on how something affects the creature other than marking its original race.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

if a ranger's favored enemy is orcs, and an orc uses Alter Self to become a human, will the Ranger still be able to detect it as a favored enemy?
    In 3E, the rules on type/subtype are part of the Polymorph spell; so Alter Self doesn't change that.
    In PF, the rules on type/subtype are part of the Polymorph descriptor; so Alter Self DOES change that.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2024-04-19 at 06:04 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Then the type changes to Humanoid (Human), because "The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form". Detection methods that solely care about subtype (like anything based in a ranger's favored enemy) would not work.

The orc would still be an orc in important other ways, like qualifying for racial feats and classes - few people on this site believe that changing shape should instantly disqualify you for Headlong Rush or Eye of Gruumsh.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #7

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    In 3E, the rules on type/subtype are part of the Polymorph spell; so Alter Self doesn't change that.
    In PF, the rules on type/subtype are part of the Polymorph descriptor; so Alter Self DOES change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Then the type changes to Humanoid (Human), because "The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form". Detection methods that solely care about subtype (like anything based in a ranger's favored enemy) would not work.

The orc would still be an orc in important other ways, like qualifying for racial feats and classes - few people on this site believe that changing shape should instantly disqualify you for Headlong Rush or Eye of Gruumsh.
    This is 3rd-ish edition, so that's good for me and bad for the players