New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Adventurers of the Dornslend Marches [Old School Essentials]

Once you were a creature of comfort, nestled within the safe embrace of Empire of Sauflend's settled lands. But wanderlust, or perhaps a deeper purpose, lured you north to the Dornslend Marches, a troubled borderland painted in shades of past glory and present peril.

The name Dornslend echoes with legend - a realm forged by the heroic Paladin Dorn who vanquished Xin'deo the Firecruel, a tyrannical volcanic dragon. His kingdom thrived for five decades, but like a fallen star, Dornslend's brilliance dimmed with its founder's demise. Dorn's heirs, consumed by ambition, fractured the realm into a web of squabbling domains ruled by petty warlords. Prosperity withered, replaced by lawlessness. Knights and bandits now prey upon the good people of the marches; monstrous beast-men lurk at the fringes, ready to opportunistically pillage & raid; monstrous creatures, emboldened by the chaos, are slowly reclaiming their lost domains.

Worse still, whispers carried on the wind speak of a new terror - a dragon stirring in the unexplored heights of the Crowned Fells, amassing an army of orcs and kobolds.

It is into this crucible of chaos that your path leads...

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    I have never run a true fantasy OSR game before but have always wanted to give it a try.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? Old School Essentials Advanced Fantasy, utilizing the Create a Character - Basic Method (so races are classes). We will NOT be utilizing the Secondary Skills, Weapon Proficiency or Multiple Classes optional rules. We are going very old school and very basic!

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? You are adventurers wandering around a troubled borderland plagued by monsters & bandits, replete with long forgotten ruins, ancient old-growth forests and deep, dark caves.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 3 to 6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? These forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? You begin play 3d6x3 Gold Pieces

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? All of the Basic Classes are allowed, we will be using demi-human races as classes rules.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? The Demi-Humans Classes are your race, otherwise you are human.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 3d6 in order for each ability score. If you have all 8s or lower or wind up with one really bad roll (like a 3) you may reroll the whole set.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Law, Neutral or Chaos

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? I will roll the Referee stuff, you will roll your characters stuff.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. None

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Skirt length at most. Tell me why you became an adventurer

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A mix of all 3.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Old School Essentials: Advanced Fantasy
    Last edited by NeptunianOM; 2024-04-19 at 01:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: Adventurers of the Dornslend Marches [Old School Essentials]

Neat!

Let's roll those dice...

Strength - (3d6)[9]
    Intelligence - (3d6)[12]
    Wisdom - (3d6)[13]
    Dexterity - (3d6)[14]
    Constitution - (3d6)[7]
    Charisma - (3d6)[9]

Starting Finances - (3d6)[9]

I am going to shuffle 2 point from Wisdom into 1 point of Intelligence, to make an Illusionist! If Advanced classes are not permissible, then... a Magic-User.

Character Name
    Name
    Class ("Title")
    Alignment
    portrait goes here
    hyperlinks to character sheets go here
    description goes here
    Attributes
    Strength 09 ▪ Intelligence 14 ▪ Wisdom 09
    Dexterity 14 ▪ Constitution 07 ▪ Charisma 09

Vital Statistics
    Level 1 ▪ Experience Points 0 ▪ Next Level 2500
    Prime Requisite Intelligence
    Hit Dice 1d4-1 ▪ Hit Points 3
    THAC0 19 ▪ Armor Class 09
    Death Save 13 ▪ Wand Save 14 ▪ Poison Save 13 ▪ Breath Save 15 ▪ Spell Save 16

Special Abilities
    Arcane Magic
    Magical Research: May spend time and money on magical research, enabling the Illusionist to add new spells to their book and research other magical effects. At 9th level, they become able to create magical items. Research and artifice must be within the purview of illusion magic, as determined by the Referee.
    Spell Casting: Illusionists cast Illusionist spells. At 1st level, they know one 1st level spell, and may cast one 1st level spell.
    Using Magic Items: Illusionists are able to cast spells from spell scrolls that deal in illusion magic, and are on their spell list; they are also able to use magical items usable by arcane spell casters, although those that deal direct damage, such as wands of fire balls and scrolls of Delsenora's Malevolent Steamroller are not.

Combat
    Illusionists are able to wield daggers alone, and staves if the Referee feels like allowing that!

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    1st Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    Spells Memorized: Go here.
    Credits
    Necrotic Gnome Publishing

Legacy Text
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now, since we're using Old School Essentials: Advanced Fantasy, are the demi-human Race-As-Classes from there available? Because while it says we're using OSE: AF for our sources, #7 of the Big 16 seems contradictory to me in that it says we're using the Basic classes.

SCARY WIZARD's Workspace
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good As Rolled: Acrobat, Assassin, Cleric, Druid, Thief
    Doable As Rolled: Bard, Drow, Elf, Fighter, Half-Orc, Illusionist, Magic-User, Paladin
    Possible with Adjustments: lol ok
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2024-05-01 at 10:26 PM. Reason: 9 12 13 14 7 9
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers of the Dornslend Marches [Old School Essentials]

I am new to the game (I received the Advanced Fantasy Referee's & Player's Tome in a Humble Bundle a while back), so I may not be as knowledgeable about the terminology as someone more experienced (like yourself).

In the Advanced Fantasy Player's Tome, page 14 lists two different ways to generate characters - Basic & Advanced. I would like to play with the Demihumans as Character Classes, so that would be the Basic Character Creation system, which specifies all characters are human unless they select a demihuman class.

I know that can feel a little restrictive but I have always been fascinated by the idea of racial classes and would love to give it a try.

The book does say the two systems are compatible, so I guess it does not super matter. I am just entertained by the idea of someone playing a demihuman as a class.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I'm always up to try different systems... So let's see what kind of classes I'll be able to pick.

Strength - (3d6)[18]
    Intelligence - (3d6)[10]
    Wisdom - (3d6)[13]
    Dexterity - (3d6)[9]
    Constitution - (3d6)[3]
    Charisma - (3d6)[8]

Starting money: (3d6)[9] x3 = ???
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Well as much as I do like that 18, I think constitution would be the worst skill to have a 3 in so...

Strength - (3d6)[8]
    Intelligence - (3d6)[13]
    Wisdom - (3d6)[7]
    Dexterity - (3d6)[7]
    Constitution - (3d6)[7]
    Charisma - (3d6)[9]

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by NeptunianOM View Post
    I am new to the game (I received the Advanced Fantasy Referee's & Player's Tome in a Humble Bundle a while back), so I may not be as knowledgeable about the terminology as someone more experienced (like yourself).

In the Advanced Fantasy Player's Tome, page 14 lists two different ways to generate characters - Basic & Advanced. I would like to play with the Demihumans as Character Classes, so that would be the Basic Character Creation system, which specifies all characters are human unless they select a demihuman class.

I know that can feel a little restrictive but I have always been fascinated by the idea of racial classes and would love to give it a try.

The book does say the two systems are compatible, so I guess it does not super matter. I am just entertained by the idea of someone playing a demihuman as a class.
    It's fun. I'm in a game over on RPoL, using things from the Carcass Crawler magazines, and even those are really tightly designed. You made a great call in picking this system! I hope you get a lot of mileage out of it.
    I was just wondering, though, if demi-human Race-As-Classes from the Advanced book like, say, the Gnome or Half-Orc were also on the table in addition to the Basic classes. I just wanna clarify, is all.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Speaking of Carcass Crawler, would classes from the zine be permissible, or would you prefer to limit material to what you personally have access to? It's official material made by the same people who designed the game. I only ask because a copy of the first issue fell into my lap recently.

*EDIT* There I go talking about reading the Big 16 and I forget the wording of point 16.

I'm very new to OSE as well, but have been reading up on it since a friend might be running that megadungeon Arden Vul with it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by SCARY WIZARD View Post
    I was just wondering, though, if demi-human Race-As-Classes from the Advanced book like, say, the Gnome or Half-Orc were also on the table in addition to the Basic classes. I just wanna clarify, is all.
    That's the impression I got from reading the Big 16. Classes and race-as-classes are on the table, just no demihumans taking "normal" classes.
    Last edited by Aldhissla; 2024-04-22 at 09:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I feel set on Half-Orc, partly because they don't have any ability score requirements, but let's see if I get lucky here.

Strength: (3d6)[16]
    Intelligence: (3d6)[4]
    Wisdom: (3d6)[17]
    Dexterity: (3d6)[15]
    Constitution: (3d6)[8]
    Charisma: (3d6)[8]

Starting Wealth: (3d6)[7] x3

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

It's fun. I'm in a game over on RPoL, using things from the Carcass Crawler magazines, and even those are really tightly designed. You made a great call in picking this system! I hope you get a lot of mileage out of it.
    I am looking forward to giving the system a whirl!

Yes all of the races as classes are open!

10. - Top - End - #10

WHOO! Let's I generate, then...

I am looking forward to giving the system a whirl!

Yes all of the races as classes are open!

Well, if anyone drops out of the one on RPoL... *clears throat, awkwardly nods head at game* You'll be the first to hear from me! GM might not like it, but... oh... they'll live.
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2024-04-22 at 09:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

I put together a character sheet, based on one from Myth-Weavers, that I recalibrated​ from a Game Master oveover there, Black Wyvern. It might be a touch excessive in parts, but I figured, "eh, why not!". Tables are included for most classes, though such as Acrobats, Assassins, Barbarians, and Rangers might need to be adjusted a little bit...

Character Name
    Character Name
    Class and Level
    Alignment
    portrait goes here
    description goes here
    Attributes
    Strength aa ▪ Intelligence bb ▪ Wisdom cc
    Dexterity dd ▪ Constitution ee ▪ Charisma ff

Vital Statistics
    Level 1 ▪ Experience Points 0 ▪ Next Level gggg
    Prime Requisite 1, Prime Requisite 2
    Hit Dice hdi ▪ Hit Points j
    Death Save k ▪ Wand Save l ▪ Poison Save m ▪ Breath Save n ▪ Spell Save o

Special Abilities
    things like Fighter, Dwarf, or the like's special abilities go here

​Turn Undead
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice of Monster Type
    Level 1
    2 2* 3 4 5 6 7-9
    1 7 9 11 - - - - -
    2 T 7 9 11 - - - -
    3 T T 7 9 11 - - -
    4 D T T 7 9 11 - -
    5 D D T T 7 9 11 -
    6 D D D T T 7 9 11
    7 D D D D T T 7 9
    8 D D D D D T T 9
    9 D D D D D D T T
    10 D D D D D D D T
    11+ D D D D D D D D

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    1st Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    2nd Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    3rd Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    4th Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    5th Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.

Thief Skills
    Spoiler
    Show

Thief Skills Chance of Success
    Level CS TR HN HS MS OL PP
    1 87 10 1-2 10 20 15 20
    2 88 15 1-2 15 25 20 25
    3 89 20 1-3 20 30 25 30
    4 90 25 1-3 25 35 30 35
    5 91 30 1-3 30 40 35 40
    6 92 40 1-3 36 45 45 45
    7 93 50 1-4 45 55 55 55
    8 94 60 1-4 55 65 65 65
    9 95 70 1-4 65 75 75 75
    10 96 80 1-4 75 85 85 85
    11 97 90 1-5 85 95 95 95
    12 98 95 1-5 90 96 96 105
    13 99 97 1-5 95 98 97 115
    14 99 99 1-5 99 99 99 125
    Credits
    go here -- for books, artists, AI models used... things like that!
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2024-04-22 at 11:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I put together a character sheet, based on one from Myth-Weavers, that I recalibrated​ from a Game Master oveover there, Black Wyvern. It might be a touch excessive in parts, but I figured, "eh, why not!". Tables are included for most classes, though such as Acrobats, Assassins, Barbarians, and Rangers might need to be adjusted a little bit...

Character Name
    Character Name
    Class and Level
    Alignment
    portrait goes here
    description goes here
    Attributes
    Strength aa ▪ Intelligence bb ▪ Wisdom cc
    Dexterity dd ▪ Constitution ee ▪ Charisma ff

Vital Statistics
    Level 1 ▪ Experience Points 0 ▪ Next Level gggg
    Prime Requisite 1, Prime Requisite 2
    Hit Dice hdi ▪ Hit Points j
    Death Save k ▪ Wand Save l ▪ Poison Save m ▪ Breath Save n ▪ Spell Save o

Special Abilities
    things like Fighter, Dwarf, or the like's special abilities go here

​Turn Undead
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice of Monster Type
    Level 1
    2 2* 3 4 5 6 7-9
    1 7 9 11 - - - - -
    2 T 7 9 11 - - - -
    3 T T 7 9 11 - - -
    4 D T T 7 9 11 - -
    5 D D T T 7 9 11 -
    6 D D D T T 7 9 11
    7 D D D D T T 7 9
    8 D D D D D T T 9
    9 D D D D D D T T
    10 D D D D D D D T
    11+ D D D D D D D D

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    1st Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    2nd Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    3rd Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    4th Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.
    5th Level
    Spells Known:
    Go here.

Thief Skills
    Spoiler
    Show

Thief Skills Chance of Success
    Level CS TR HN HS MS OL PP
    1 87 10 1-2 10 20 15 20
    2 88 15 1-2 15 25 20 25
    3 89 20 1-3 20 30 25 30
    4 90 25 1-3 25 35 30 35
    5 91 30 1-3 30 40 35 40
    6 92 40 1-3 36 45 45 45
    7 93 50 1-4 45 55 55 55
    8 94 60 1-4 55 65 65 65
    9 95 70 1-4 65 75 75 75
    10 96 80 1-4 75 85 85 85
    11 97 90 1-5 85 95 95 95
    12 98 95 1-5 90 96 96 105
    13 99 97 1-5 95 98 97 115
    14 99 99 1-5 99 99 99 125
    Credits
    go here -- for books, artists, AI models used... things like that!
    Wow, that is really cool! Thank you for making it!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

An interesting prospects, I'll roll some dice and see what concept might fit.

(3d6)[12]
    (3d6)[13]
    (3d6)[14]
    (3d6)[13]
    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[11]

I assume ability scores are in the same order they're listed on the srd
    str/int/wis/dex/con/cha
    Last edited by zlefin; 2024-04-23 at 08:12 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

How is the character creation process going everyone?

15. - Top - End - #15

How is the character creation process going everyone?
    *comes out of a room covered in superglue, with a very angry person and several power tools attached* I misunderstood the process, but am making strides!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Strength - (3d6)[1][3][4](8)
    Intelligence - (3d6)[4][2][1](7)
    Wisdom - (3d6)[6][1][1](8)
    Dexterity - (3d6)[1][1][4](6)
    Constitution - (3d6)[4][5][4](13)
    Charisma - (3d6)[4][5][3](12)

Starting money:(3d6*3)[3][2][5](10)

I think the rolls above should technically call for a reroll. A total of -4 on stats. 13, 12, 8, 8, 7 and 6
    Last edited by AscarothD; 2024-04-30 at 12:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah given how bad the second set was I think I'll try one more time. I would really like to make a character for this, after all, but neither the first nor second set are up to par.

Strength - (3d6)[9]
    Intelligence - (3d6)[10]
    Wisdom - (3d6)[13]
    Dexterity - (3d6)[10]
    Constitution - (3d6)[11]
    Charisma - (3d6)[16]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Reroll if allowed
    Strength: (3d6)[12]
    Intelligence: (3d6)[14]
    Wisdom: (3d6)[9]
    Dexterity: (3d6)[12]
    Constitution: (3d6)[8]
    Charisma: (3d6)[14]

19. - Top - End - #19

*comes out of a room covered in superglue, with a very angry person and several power tools attached* I misunderstood the process, but am making strides!
    Awright, Game Master! I have assembled an Illusionist; however, it looks like it's up to you to pick a single 1st level spell for them to know... If Advanced Classes are not permitted, then hit me with a Magic-User spell instead, and I'll recalibrate accordingly.
    I used the "Adjusting Ability Scores" rule to shuffle WIS into INT.

Also! Just because I picked an Illusionist doesn't mean that things are set in stone for me! If anyone who didn't need to adjust ability scores wants to play an arcane caster, that's cool -- I'm more than qualified for a handful of good classes that'll serve well in a group as-rolled, and without adjustments! just gimme extra blankets, I get sickly
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2024-05-01 at 10:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Awright, Game Master! I have assembled an Illusionist; however, it looks like it's up to you to pick a single 1st level spell for them to know... If Advanced Classes are not permitted, then hit me with a Magic-User spell instead, and I'll recalibrate accordingly.
    I used the "Adjusting Ability Scores" rule to shuffle WIS into INT.

Also! Just because I picked an Illusionist doesn't mean that things are set in stone for me! If anyone who didn't need to adjust ability scores wants to play an arcane caster, that's cool -- I'm more than qualified for a handful of good classes that'll serve well in a group as-rolled, and without adjustments! just gimme extra blankets, I get sickly
    I will leave it up to fate! There are 12 Illusionist spells. [roll1d12[/roll]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

*curses in broken roll code*

I will leave it up to fate! There are 12 Illusionist spells. (1d12)[5]

EDIT: Looks like you get Detect Illusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Yeah given how bad the second set was I think I'll try one more time. I would really like to make a character for this, after all, but neither the first nor second set are up to par.

Strength - (1d12)[5]
    Intelligence - [roll1]
    Wisdom - [roll2]
    Dexterity - [roll3]
    Constitution - [roll4]
    Charisma - [roll5]
    I would not worry too much about stats. This game is less stats drive than modern D&D or Pathfinder :)
    Last edited by NeptunianOM; Today at 01:07 PM.