New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default building a great helper

So I want to build a PC whose main combat role is to provide ADV to the rest of the party. With the limitation of level 10 and current AL PC build rules, what can I add to improve upon the below?

Kobold, Wolf Totem Barb, Master Mind Rogue, MI for Find Familiar (owl), Rope of Entangle

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: building a great helper

Rune Knight's storm rune seems to fit the bill pretty well. It takes your reaction, but it can give advantage - or disadvantage - on basically any roll within 60 ft. Comes back on a short rest too.

Kobold rune knight 7 wolf totem barb 3. Not saying that's the best option, but that looks pretty dang good. Lots of ways to provide advantage.

Personally, I'd probably look for a different race...kobold's small size is slightly annoying. The newest hobgoblin has a lot going for it in terms of "buffer" abilities, and they're medium size.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Rune Knight's storm rune seems to fit the bill pretty well. It takes your reaction, but it can give advantage - or disadvantage - on basically any roll within 60 ft. Comes back on a short rest too.

Kobold rune knight 7 wolf totem barb 3. Not saying that's the best option, but that looks pretty dang good. Lots of ways to provide advantage.

Personally, I'd probably look for a different race...kobold's small size is slightly annoying. The newest hobgoblin has a lot going for it in terms of "buffer" abilities, and they're medium size.
    Fire and stone both are quite good at generating advantage and aren't limited to just one type of ally. Few sessions back I had a level 11 RK practically solo a beholder because it couldn't shake the fire in time.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Rune Knight and Hobgoblin are good ideas. I'm not worried about my PC's offensive combat capability, I was imagining someone who gets up in the face of the most dangerous foe and then does a bit of a 'rope a dope' with maybe dodges or grapples or climbs onto (if they are big) while BA helping others and Owl helping etc - just trying to figure out the most effective way ...

I think WOLF totem is the keystone of the idea, but then what to make it even better? MasterMind is an unlimited use BA HELP w/ 30' range and I like how a rogue barb compliments itself, but a RK's short rest recharge kit might be even better ... plus ASIs, FS, action surge, 2nd wind, more hp

Hobgoblin has couple nice proff per day things vs the Kobold's too (although I kinda like the 'I'm little but don't know it' schtick) - hmmm

I'd love to work in RES WIS, but it's costly and figure out the most efficient way to get FF too, and Sentinel would be great but I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Please keep the ideas coming and any good this vs that argument would be handy too.
    Last edited by da newt; 2024-04-21 at 12:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think the only time I really considered wolf totem is if I had somebody like a Shepherd druid in the party making tons of melee attacks but even then it's super reliant on both positioning and getting favorable initiative. It's workable by what expect too much out of it.
    Single Target enemies are notoriously the easiest to get advantage for melee allies to begin with.

If you do want to use it being small and climbing on foes is probably the best approach because it's the only way to guarantee that you can keep them in range.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Rune Knight and Hobgoblin are good ideas. I'm not worried about my PC's offensive combat capability, I was imagining someone who gets up in the face of the most dangerous foe and then does a bit of a 'rope a dope' with maybe dodges or grapples or climbs onto (if they are big) while BA helping others and Owl helping etc - just trying to figure out the most effective way ...

I think WOLF totem is the keystone of the idea, but then what to make it even better? MasterMind is an unlimited use BA HELP w/ 30' range and I like how a rogue barb compliments itself, but a RK's short rest recharge kit might be even better ... plus ASIs, FS, action surge, 2nd wind, more hp

Hobgoblin has couple nice proff per day things vs the Kobold's too (although I kinda like the 'I'm little but don't know it' schtick) - hmmm

I'd love to work in RES WIS, but it's costly and figure out the most efficient way to get FF too, and Sentinel would be great but I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Please keep the ideas coming and any good this vs that argument would be handy too.
    Battlesmith Artificier/Mastermind Rogue, maybe?

I don't think Sentinel would be worth the investment on this character concept, at least, regardless of the build.