New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Artificer build advice

So I'm starting in a game at lvl 12 and I've decided to be an artillerist artificer. Is there any particular race worth choosing for it when asi's aren't important? Aside from say the ones that have flying or yuan-ti pureblood.

Additionally, anyone got any multiclass experience with the class? I'm primarily playing it straight so any MCing would probably just be a dip, but not looking to do it just to grab heavy armor proficiency, more so for actual fun reasons or for anything that would be interesting mechanically.

We rolled for stats and this is the spread I pulled, 12 15 15 18 13 10

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Artificer build advice

I’ve always liked the idea of asking your DM if you can mount the flamethrower turret on your shield and running it as a melee aoe kind of champ. You can of course hold it in your free hand, but then you can’t have your wand. It could occupy your square but then you have to deal with moving it around on its own. I’ve seen people suggest it can mount the player too, so ymmv.

Sadly there are very few point blank aoe spells or abilities. The scourge assimar is an option to lean into it. Most of your life will just be casting one concentration spell and then hurling fireballs.

Of course it is just one example, the real question is what are you planning on centering around? A fire bolt thrower with a ballistic turret is very different from a heal turret melee user.

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGirl

I mean, I initially planned on someone who was mostly back of the line, the game I'm joining has a ton of frontliners already.

So likely just shooting firebolts and shooting my turret, probably going to have the barrier turret up quite a bit.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

To be honest just max your Int and keep it straight Artificer is fantastic, it's probably the most compelling single class in the game.

As for races, it's a good time to patch things you lack a little in the core class, so abilities or free castings of spells to help with the lower amount of slots. So something like Shadar Kai for the teleport or V Human (Fey/Shadow Touched) for the spells and castings.

Separately from your character, being an Autognome and having a Steel Defender BA heal you is funny and effective.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

5. - Top - End - #5

DruidGirl

I mean, I wasn't not going to max my Int, by the way the above stats don't include racial modifiers, so uh, I'm almost certainly going to be starting with 20 Int.

I did look at autognome but that's way too on the nose for my tastes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elyktsorb View Post
    I mean, I wasn't not going to max my Int, by the way the above stats don't include racial modifiers, so uh, I'm almost certainly going to be starting with 20 Int.

I did look at autognome but that's way too on the nose for my tastes.
    If you're really interested in dipping then I'm a fan of Fighter dips for the Fighting Style and short rest heal. With Superior Technique and the expanded maneuvers in Tasha's you have a lot of choices to round out different parts of the character.

Or just take Defense and be more of an AC monster.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I'm starting in a game at lvl 12 and I've decided to be an artillerist artificer. Is there any particular race worth choosing for it when asi's aren't important? Aside from say the ones that have flying or yuan-ti pureblood.

Additionally, anyone got any multiclass experience with the class? I'm primarily playing it straight so any MCing would probably just be a dip, but not looking to do it just to grab heavy armor proficiency, more so for actual fun reasons or for anything that would be interesting mechanically.

Artificer is one of of not the most flexible class in the game so you can freely pick a race you want and not feel like you are short changing yourself.

Your day to day logical choices are much more important with slotting spells, infusions, SSI, and cannon rotations. You can use anyone else on the party as well so it takes some getting used to in that front.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Get proficiency in a wind instrument of some kind (bagpipes) from your (customized) background. This allows you to use replicate magic item to make and use pipes of haunting.

Here's a very detailed full build guide for a support-focused artillerist: https://tabletopbuilds.com/basic-bui...ies-artificer/

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

I recommend a race with a cantrip - Artificers are quite starved on that front (getting only two of them until level 10!) and Artillerists in particular want offensive ones - usually either Firebolt or Acid Splash, perhaps even both so that they have a second option to use with their Firearm when the other isn't suitable, in order to save their limited spell slots.

As far as a multiclass, if you're only planning a dip I would personally stick with Artificer so that you get on-time scaling of your cannons, spell ranks and infusions/attunements - more for yourself and more for your allies. There's just not a lot that any other dip can add to those. A wizard multiclass is great if you're going to leave Artificer behind for it but that doesn't seem to be what you want to do here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)