New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Help with brewing a prestige class

Hello, everyone! Sorry I wasn't active. Have been doing other stuff, but this had come to me.

I want to make a prestige class, even though I have never played 3.5/PF1e, but I reckon that I could get a hang of the rules and such for the purposes of making a PC. Mostly I need help with how a certain damage dice scales with levels (they're corrupted by frost, and each attack does xd4 extra cold damage because of this), as well as DR (also get cold resistance x.) I want it to be a 5-level PC, so how should it scale? 1d4/Frostchained level, and Dr/cold 5///Frostchained level? Or should it be a bit less?
    Hello! I hope you're all having a good day. I make homebrew, could you look at it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Help with brewing a prestige class

DR is not Energy Resistance.

Maybe look at Frostrager for inspiration?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Instead of DR do Energy Resistance 5 (Cold), it's like DR but for energy damage.

And an extra 1d4 cold damage per level sounds perfectly fine. Just make sure to give it some features besides these two, and you'll have a good start.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    DR is not Energy Resistance.

Maybe look at Frostrager for inspiration?
    Oh, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
    Instead of DR do Energy Resistance 5 (Cold), it's like DR but for energy damage.

And an extra 1d4 cold damage per level sounds perfectly fine. Just make sure to give it some features besides these two, and you'll have a good start.
    Yeah, I just figured they'd be the same. Thanks! Here's my outline so far:

Frostchained (Prestige Class)

Requirements:
    Must have been alone in a blizzard, unseen by any, and have a strange being try to take them over. They must be corrupted by this creature, but not totally be taken over. Thus, they can combine their power and, so long as they don't let the frost take them over, they gain incredible power.

Saves:
    FORT WILL REF
    +2 +2 +0
    +3 +3 +0
    +3 +3 +1
    +4 +4 +1
    +4 +4 +1

Skill points per level: 2+INT
    Hit die: d6
    Skills: Knowledge (parasites)(INT), Move Silently (DEX) Swim (STR) Intimidate (CHA) Survival (WIS) Knowledge (frost) INT
    Features:
    1------- ER 5/cold, one with frost, Chilling Attack 1d4
    2------- ER 10/cold, Frost Blast 1d8, Chilling Attack 2d4, Surge of Power
    3------- ER 15/cold, Icy Defense, Chilling Attack 3d4
    4------- ER 20/cold, Frost Blast 1d10, Chilling Attack 4d4
    5------- ER 25/cold, Deathly Cold, Chilling Attack 5d4

ER/cold: You have Resistance to Cold equal to 5 * your Frostchained level after encountering something horrible, something truly terrible that found its way within you. You still can't explain it, but it doesn't seem to be harmful... yet. You already resisted it once, you'll probably be fine.

Chilling Attack: Because of how ice runs in your veins, your attacks are enhanced by it. Whenever you make a melee weapon attack, you do an extra 1d4/Frostchained level cold damage, in addition to your regular damage. This stacks with Frost Blast.

One with frost: Because of your condition, cold conditions aren't as bad anymore. When determining the severity of cold weather, treat it as one step down from what it actually is.

Frost Blast: At level 2, as a standard action, you can shoot a blast of frost with a max range of 60 feet. Make a ranged touch attack against the target. On a hit, they take 1d8 + Chilling Attack Cold damage. At Frostchained level 4, this improves to 1d10 + Chilling Attack. Use your Constitution modifier for the purposes of determining whether or not it hits.

Surge of Power: at level 2, you can take a bonus action to temporarily empower the being that entered you, and yourself, by extension, for up to 1 minute per Frostchained Level. You can do this a number of times per day equal to your Constitution modifier. However, after you use Surge of Power, make a Will save = 20 + Frostchained level. On a success, nothing happens. On a failure, nothing happpens the first few times. You can safely fail a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier. After you fail that many times, your alignment changes to CE, and you are in the DM's control. You try to kill everything, extinguish all heat in the universe, and leave it but a cold husk.

Icy Defense: At level 3, You gain DR equal to your Frostchained level against all non-cold and non-fire damage. You are vulnerable to Fire Damage, and ER/cold still functions.

Deathly Cold: At level 5, you can attempt to kill a creature with sheer cold. You take a full-turn action to attempt to encase a creature you can see in ice. They must make a Fortitude saving throw or die. If they succeed, they take 4d10 cold damage from being covered in ice. On a failure, they immediately die from being covered in a thin layer of frost, causing their heart to stop and their blood to freeze. You can use this ability once a day.
    Hello! I hope you're all having a good day. I make homebrew, could you look at it?