New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default 2024 Player's Handbook Fireside Chat

Todd Kenreck got Crawford and Perkins to sit down and talk about the new PHB today.

Some interesting tidbits:

1) PHB is in the print-proofing/printout-review stage, i.e. last chance for text updates No change to the expected release date .

2) Confirmation on what the 4th Fighter Subclass will be (Psi Warrior. Called it)

3) Confirmation that the Tasha Subclasses that are going to core went through their own internal round of playtesting and adjustments. (My guess is that this includes things like Aberrant Mind and Clockwork Soul Sorcerer having their bonus spells removed, but no details yet.)

4) Soulknife is going to be core now - not sure which of the other rogue subclasses it's replacing (my guess is Swashbuckler, but it could be Assassin too - I don't see them removing Thief or Arcane Trickster.)

5) In addition to every subclass getting its own piece of art, several spells will also. This includes spells that are tied to specific D&D characters, e.g. we will see Bigby casting Bigby's Hand, Melf casting his Acid Arrow, Tasha casting her Hideous Laughter etc.

5) New rules guidance that wasn't in the original PHB, such as adjudicating illusions and breaking objects (the latter of which previously required jumping back and forth between the PHB and DMG). Reiteration that the new PHB will have feats and spells that weren't present in core before, or may even be new to the game entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: 2024 Player's Handbook Fireside Chat

I am cautiously optimistic about the 2024 PHB. It still sounds like more of a 5.5e, but whatever. It's sounding like they're on a decent track.

Only time will tell.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    4) Soulknife is going to be core now - not sure which of the other rogue subclasses it's replacing (my guess is Swashbuckler, but it could be Assassin too - I don't see them removing Thief or Arcane Trickster.)
    I feel like assassin has too long a pedigree to get cut. Thief might actually make the most sense mechanically, since most of what the thief does is "base rogue" stuff. The issue is, what if I want to play Bilbo Baggins or any other archetypical, nonmagical thief who isn't a badass trained assassin or swashbuckler?

Swashbuckler also has the issue that a lot of the subclass features kind of overlap with base rogue stuff and while "swashbuckler" is a cool and good archetype, the mechanical expression of that archetype here is basically "a rogue, but better at fighting."

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    I am cautiously optimistic about the 2024 PHB. It still sounds like more of a 5.5e, but whatever. It's sounding like they're on a decent track.

Only time will tell.
    I see no issue with considering it to be 5.5e.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRN View Post
    I feel like assassin has too long a pedigree to get cut. Thief might actually make the most sense mechanically, since most of what the thief does is "base rogue" stuff. The issue is, what if I want to play Bilbo Baggins or any other archetypical, nonmagical thief who isn't a badass trained assassin or swashbuckler?

Swashbuckler also has the issue that a lot of the subclass features kind of overlap with base rogue stuff and while "swashbuckler" is a cool and good archetype, the mechanical expression of that archetype here is basically "a rogue, but better at fighting."
    Assassin has issues too though - Either it implies a loner who spends their time eliminating high-value targets, arguably at odds with a team game - or it's just an opportunistic killer, which could describe just about every rogue. Say what you will about Swashbuckler, at least it has a very clear identity and niche.

As for Bilbo, he's just a Thief before the UMD stuff comes online I'd say.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I see no issue with considering it to be 5.5e.

Assassin has issues too though - Either it implies a loner who spends their time eliminating high-value targets, arguably at odds with a team game - or it's just an opportunistic killer, which could describe just about every rogue. Say what you will about Swashbuckler, at least it has a very clear identity and niche.

As for Bilbo, he's just a Thief before the UMD stuff comes online I'd say.
    I think thief and assassin share a common issue in that they are tasks or jobs rather than a method or area of expertise. They are closer to backgrounds than subclasses. This leaves them feeling both too vague and oddly restricted at the same time.

It's like having a fighter who's subclass is gate guard.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    I think thief and assassin share a common issue in that they are tasks or jobs rather than a method or area of expertise. They are closer to backgrounds than subclasses. This leaves them feeling both too vague and oddly restricted at the same time.

It's like having a fighter who's subclass is gate guard.
    Yeah I think this is fair. Maybe they'll roll Thief's stuff into the base class so they can all fiddle with magic items and get a bonus attunement! And then Assassin becomes the Basic rogue.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

...did anyone else pay attention to them referring to it as Revised Player's Handbook and not 5.5e?
    (ok, I jest, now. I understand why people would consider it as such, and at this point, especially hearing them talk about the book, I'm starting to feel ok-ish about "5.5e" as an unofficial nickname. It's just hard for me personally to do so until WotC/D&D team acknowledge and name it as such; call it an OCD or whatever.

...or, what's more important than that, that it's going to be "thick". Like, they put an emphasis on its' thickness, repeatedly, both Jeremy and Chris. I'm beginning to paint a picture that we might be getting an "Absolute Unit" (I'm imagining a Thick Rulebook similar to "Pathfinder (1e) Core Rulebook Thick"; That's over an inch thick; one-and-a-half times - almost twice - as thick as the 2014 PHB).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-04-25 at 10:57 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

8. - Top - End - #8

Yeah I think this is fair. Maybe they'll roll Thief's stuff into the base class so they can all fiddle with magic items and get a bonus attunement! And then Assassin becomes the Basic rogue.
    I think they missed a huge opportunity with the class subclass design because you don't really need a generic subclass. The class can be fairly basic in the subclasses could be folded in to each setting with ease. They experimented with it but I think things like the PBK made them reconsider but conceptually it's a great opportunity.

I'm not a fan of what they did with dragonlance and try to use feats to do it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I'm starting to feel ok-ish about "5.5e" as an unofficial nickname. It's just hard for me personally to do so until WotC/D&D team acknowledge and name it as such; call it an OCD or whatever.
    Does WotC even refer to 5e as 5e?
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

10. - Top - End - #10

...did anyone else pay attention to them referring to it as Revised Player's Handbook and not 5.5e?
    (ok, I jest, now. I understand why people would consider it as such, and at this point, especially hearing them talk about the book, I'm starting to feel ok-ish about "5.5e" as an unofficial nickname. It's just hard for me personally to do so until WotC/D&D team acknowledge and name it as such; call it an OCD or whatever.
    Honestly, at this point call it whatever you like. Speaking personally, just about any name works for me except "6e," it's not nearly different enough of an underlying "engine" for that - so I settled on 5.5e.

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    They have in a couple of recent videos IIRC.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

If they drop assassin and keep soul knife, that will probably work out. Assassin had some lumps.

I also think that one of the best assassins in the game is Whispers bard.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DnD 3.5 was also referred to as a revised edition, which sound about right for what this printing is going for.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    not specifically "5e" as written, but "5th edition"? All the time.

Honestly, at this point call it whatever you like. Speaking personally, just about any name works for me except "6e," it's not nearly different enough of an underlying "engine" for that - so I settled on 5.5e
    And that's fine. My issues are my own, and I have to live with them. Can't change heads every time I get mad about myself, can I?

DnD 3.5 was also referred to as a revised edition, which sound about right for what this printing is going for.
    Yes, but 3.5 is written on the cover of the book literally as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, First Printing, July 2003
    Core Rulebook I
    v.3.5
    So, if they don't actually write it out on the cover of the book in one way or another that is equivalent to the above, and talk about it as such, I will continue my lone watch on the wall, and it sure gets windy up here!
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

...or, what's more important than that, that it's going to be "thick". Like, they put an emphasis on its' thickness, repeatedly, both Jeremy and Chris. I'm beginning to paint a picture that we might be getting an "Absolute Unit" (I'm imagining a Thick Rulebook similar to "Pathfinder (1e) Core Rulebook Thick"; That's over an inch thick; one-and-a-half times - almost twice - as thick as the 2014 PHB).
    I certainly hope so. The 2014 PHB is anemic for the most important rule book of a ttrpg.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but 3.5 is written on the cover of the book literally as follows:

So, if they don't actually write it out on the cover of the book in one way or another that is equivalent to the above, and talk about it as such, I will continue my lone watch on the wall, and it sure gets windy up here!
    Yep. Then you turn the page to the credits and it credits people for Revisions and as a Revision team. We'll see if they do the same for the 2024 PHB.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, at this point call it whatever you like. Speaking personally, just about any name works for me except "6e,"
    We should call it Advanced Player's Essential Options Unchained.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #17

I think they missed a huge opportunity with the class subclass design because you don't really need a generic subclass. The class can be fairly basic in the subclasses could be folded in to each setting with ease. They experimented with it but I think things like the PBK made them reconsider but conceptually it's a great opportunity.

I'm not a fan of what they did with dragonlance and try to use feats to do it.
    They do need to pick a fairly straightforward subclass to include in Basic though. Unless their plan is to broaden Basic to include all four... which I doubt, but isn't impossible.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your post with the settings, PBK(?) and dragonlance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    You forgot Complete II
    Last edited by Psyren; 2024-04-26 at 11:05 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #18

Lizardfolk

The fact that the new game is not so different from 5e actually signals to me that the game is healing. For example, AD&D 2e wasn't much different from AD&D 1e, but rather an elaboration on the previous game. 3e was very different from 2e, but that was mostly driven by the game being acquired by Wizards who wanted to make something new. And then Wizards had the urge to reinvent the game with 4e.

Next/5e's North Star for design was creating an edition of D&D that would bring back old players, 3e enjoyers and TSR enjoyers, as well as new players and it succeeded (these days Old Schoolers aren't as hot on 5e as they used to be, but when it came out there was a lot of excitement) and that success tells me that they found something that works, they found something that everyone can agree upon. Why change that? OneD&D will be the 2e to 5e's AD&D, and that's a good thing!
    What I'm Playing: D&D 5e
    What I've Played: D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, D&D 5e, B/X D&D, CoC, Delta Green

Modern in sense of design focus. I consider any system that puts more weight in the buttons that players mash over the rest of the system as modern.

19. - Top - End - #19

They do need to pick a fairly straightforward subclass to include in Basic though. Unless their plan is to broaden Basic to include all four... which I doubt, but isn't impossible.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your post with the settings, PBK(?) and dragonlance though.
    The purple dragon banner knight, and technically the battle rager, was them dipping toes into the idea of setting specific subclasses. The idea was solid but both were so far off the mark that I think they avoided that approach going forward.

Dragonlance using background to start feat chains to gate iconic setting faction based options rubs me wrong. Last thing we need is another way to nab shield(spell). Oh you get PWT as well...

20. - Top - End - #20

The purple dragon banner knight, and technically the battle rager, was them dipping toes into the idea of setting specific subclasses. The idea was solid but both were so far off the mark that I think they avoided that approach going forward.
    I think their better option is to go in reverse:

"Here's a Fighter subclass that's so good at inspiring people it can actually heal and buff them, we'll call it Banneret. And in Faerun, there's a faction of warriors called Purple Dragon Knights that pretty heavily if not entirely consists of Banneret Fighters." For something to be worth the design and iteration time that a whole subclass requires, it shouldn't be designed to only work with a single setting.

As for Battlerager - honestly that was just a bad idea from the concept stage. (Did it even exist before?)

Dragonlance using background to start feat chains to gate iconic setting faction based options rubs me wrong. Last thing we need is another way to nab shield(spell). Oh you get PWT as well...
    Eh, with the buff to Magic Initiate I don't think those other background/level 1 feats matter anymore. They might as well exist from a setting standpoint; them being weaker is offset by them being prereqs of a level 4+ feat later. And Dragonlance in particular expects you to take them since it gives out 2 bonus feats to everybody.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    You forgot Complete II
    "Advanced Player's Complete Essential Options Unchained II, electric boogaloo!"

"Here's a Fighter subclass that's so good at inspiring people it can actually heal and buff them, we'll call it Banneret. And in Faerun, there's a faction of warriors called Purple Dragon Knights that pretty heavily if not entirely consists of Banneret Fighters." For something to be worth the design and iteration time that a whole subclass requires, it shouldn't be designed to only work with a single setting.
    A million % agree. Like, I'm a little shocked that (was it Green Ronin)? The 3PP that put out SCAG didn't think along these lines... though I suppose WotC might have been micromanagers about it and said 'this book is specific to FR, any mention of other realms need to be 'in the margins' at best."

As for Battlerager - honestly that was just a bad idea from the concept stage. (Did it even exist before?)
    The artwork and armor design definitely did... I don't recall the Barbarian specific aspect being done in D&D prior - but it might have also been in the Complete Barbarian or Complete Dwarf or something. /shrug
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2024-04-26 at 02:10 PM.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    The artwork and armor design definitely did... I don't recall the Barbarian specific aspect being done in D&D prior - but it might have also been in the Complete Barbarian or Complete Dwarf or something. /shrug
    Alot of things in 5e existed in prior editions but got shoehorned into a particular class.
    Metamagic is probably the one that most annoys me, but there are others scattered through the game, for better and for worse.

Battlerager I don't specificly remember but in 3.5 spiked guantlets and armor just existed without needing to be a class feature, and some of this existed as worldbuilding background prior to that.
    As I recall bladesinger was contextually a fighter/mage multiclass back in AD&D but my memory is foggy.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

23. - Top - End - #23

The issue with this approach is what already happens. You end up with super vague and wishy-washy mechanics to allow them to work on different settings. something something spectral intangible thingy.

It allows them to pump out uncommitted content because it's way easier then trying to come up with something whole cloth. Though subclasses are innately pretty easy to design because they are closed loops.

24. - Top - End - #24

The issue with this approach is what already happens. You end up with super vague and wishy-washy mechanics to allow them to work on different settings. something something spectral intangible thingy.

It allows them to pump out uncommitted content because it's way easier then trying to come up with something whole cloth. Though subclasses are innately pretty easy to design because they are closed loops.
    I'd really rather not open this rusty/expired/stale/mummified can of worms yet again, so I'll just say I disagree with this "issue" completely and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Alot of things in 5e existed in prior editions but got shoehorned into a particular class.
    Metamagic is probably the one that most annoys me, but there are others scattered through the game, for better and for worse.

Battlerager I don't specificly remember but in 3.5 spiked guantlets and armor just existed without needing to be a class feature, and some of this existed as worldbuilding background prior to that.
    As I recall bladesinger was contextually a fighter/mage multiclass back in AD&D but my memory is foggy.
    Bladesinger was a prestige class in Complete Warrior back in 3.5. Back then, it seemed more aimed at bards (fittingly enough), as that was one of the few classes that could attain all the skill, BAB and spellcasting requirements in time. But it only progressed casting at half the rate, which for a Bard would be even worse as they were already 2/3 casters in that edition.

They retooled it to be a wizard subclass despite the name, and created College of Swords Bard for the Bard instead.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

Indeed.
    Battlerager began as a Warrior Kit in AD&D 2nd Edition's Complete Book of Dwarves. Likewise, Bladesinger began as a Fighter/Mage Kit in Complete Book of Elves.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

So Battlerager was a Prestige Class in 3e Races of Faerūn and a Warrior kit in AD&D Complete Book of the Dwarves. Bladesinger was also a Prestige Class in Races of Faerūn but also Tome and Blood and Complete Warrior in 3.5. In AD&D 2e I recall it's in the Elf book though even 1e Elf-class is pretty much just Bladesinger.

Battlerager even featured in some of those Drizzt-books; that Thibbledorf Pwent or whatever.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2024-04-27 at 05:10 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

After discussing the Assassin for the last couple days in the other thread, I'm convinced it's the one getting the axe.
    Even if you love everything about the subclass (and who does?) it's just not built for group-friendly play.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
    After discussing the Assassin for the last couple days in the other thread, I'm convinced it's the one getting the axe.
    Even if you love everything about the subclass (and who does?) it's just not built for group-friendly play.
    I mean, was it ever? The AD&D version as its own class was 'always evil' and basically amped up the PVP aspect. I would not be sad if it disappeared until it found a useful spot in an intrigue specific campaign book.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

29. - Top - End - #29

A theory I've seen (totally unsubstantiated) is that they'll do a round of "dark/antihero" subclasses in the DMG, like Death Cleric, "Oathbreaker"/Oath of Corruption* Paladin, and Necromancer Wizard. Assuming it (a) still exists but (b) won't be in the PHB, I could definitely see Assassin Rogue being slipped into that group instead.

*Trying to manifest this rebrand into the universe
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30

ElfWarriorGuy

A theory I've seen (totally unsubstantiated) is that they'll do a round of "dark/antihero" subclasses in the DMG, like Death Cleric, "Oathbreaker"/Oath of Corruption* Paladin, and Necromancer Wizard. Assuming it (a) still exists but (b) won't be in the PHB, I could definitely see Assassin Rogue being slipped into that group instead.

*Trying to manifest this rebrand into the universe
    That is indeed how they did it last time around. Alternatively, it'd be a pretty snazzy new source book.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan